Searching for Seka

Annasmom, thank you very much. Given the date on the postcard (1978), and the dates on these earlier communications, I imagine there is a fair chance she didn't know his surname, otherwise she would probably have used in on the postcard. It seems they may have made up after the drama of 1977, at least enough for her to send him a postcard from her holidays.

The more I look at these communications, the more twisted it all appears.

I need some time to think this over. Thank you again.

I am attaching everything I have on Seka. I doubt she really knew his surname, but that's just a guess.

~ Annasmom, thanks alot for reposting the Seka notes! Outrageous letters from Brody. On the last one I noticed he signs BG and looks like either and & or an S and the Seka at the bottom of the page. Just confirming what we have here....

Was he a therapist of sorts? Seems to know about Belgrade. I wouldn't doubt he was also from there, how would he know Seka's entire family? Perhaps her parents advised she see Brody as he too was in SF when she was and then their friendship turned for whatever reason, her against him...again, he does like hiding the truth doesn't he? He doesn't really mention 'anything' to grasp onto. And again, Mike who? Brody mentions she worked with Mike? Ok, so was she also in school?

Twisted is a good word Firefly... yup, very fitting. arrgh!

And... what fame did Seka find herself in?

Uhmm.... red carpet may just be a term her used... but he does mention fame a couple of times....

I havent spoken the language in years. I am not from the former Yugoslavia i just lived there for a while. I was looking for a Skradin forum when I found the one for Benkovac which is not too far from Skradin. From what I can read the posts are mainly Serbs who used to live in the area posting about old memories, photos or looking for old friends. It may be a good forum to post about the search for Seka.

BTW, The Travel Channel, No Reseravations with Anthony Bourdain was just in Skradin last week, If you want to see how beautiful the area is:
http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/episodes/croatiancoast

I have copied a post from the Benkovac forum and my colleague is going to have a look at it today and tell me what language it is. She can translate a post for me to Serbian, Croatian or Masidonian. I too think this would be a good place to post.

~ Annasmom, thanks alot for reposting the Seka notes! Outrageous letters from Brody. On the last one I noticed he signs BG and looks like either and & or an S and the Seka at the bottom of the page. Just confirming what we have here....

Was he a therapist of sorts? Seems to know about Belgrade. I wouldn't doubt he was also from there, how would he know Seka's entire family? Perhaps her parents advised she see Brody as he too was in SF when she was and then their friendship turned for whatever reason, her against him...again, he does like hiding the truth doesn't he? He doesn't really mention 'anything' to grasp onto. And again, Mike who? Brody mentions she worked with Mike? Ok, so was she also in school?

The note is in Dr. Waters' handwriting and he's apparently quoting Brody. There's a little c with a stroke over it which means "with" in doctor-talk. The note says "I did her a favor by accepting her--only to be thrown out of her midst when she was faced with a crisis--on a later day." GB & Seka

No, Brody was no therapist, and I really don't think he knew any more about Belgrade than he read in the newspapers...he was just trying to influence Seka. I don't think he knew the family either. No idea who Mike was, except that he was someone with whom Seka worked (so she had a job.) There has been no mention of her being in school. Everything we know about Seka is in these notes and in her post cards, unless somebody else knows something that wasn't in Dr. Waters' papers (where these things were found.) I don't know what that would be.

The impression I get, however, is that this old coot was flirting with a young woman and trying to influence her with his usual line, and a colleague of hers and her family stepped in and objected.

The note is in Dr. Waters' handwriting and he's apparently quoting Brody. There's a little c with a stroke over it which means "with" in doctor-talk. The note says "I did her a favor by accepting her--only to be thrown out of her midst when she was faced with a crisis--on a later day." GB & Seka

No, Brody was no therapist, and I really don't think he knew any more about Belgrade than he read in the newspapers...he was just trying to influence Seka. I don't think he knew the family either. No idea who Mike was, except that he was someone with whom Seka worked (so she had a job.) There has been no mention of her being in school. Everything we know about Seka is in these notes and in her post cards, unless somebody else knows something that wasn't in Dr. Waters' papers (where these things were found.) I don't know what that would be.

The impression I get, however, is that this old coot was flirting with a young woman and trying to influence her with his usual line, and a colleague of hers and her family stepped in and objected.

BBM. I agree. Clearly Seka's family and colleague's recognized GB's mind games and pulled her away before he could be of any influence. He really seemed to like to play mind games in a sense that his presence would greatly affect one's future, in positive or negative ways. I see that present in his letters to Seka and her family.

FWIW, I read the ending of the last letter as 'GB of Seka'. As if to memorize the sentence so it could be repeated later along with the notation of whom it was said about. It clearly looks like the word "of" to me.

BBM. I agree. Clearly Seka's family and colleague's recognized GB's mind games and pulled her away before he could be of any influence. He really seemed to like to play mind games in a sense that his presence would greatly affect one's future, in positive or negative ways. I see that present in his letters to Seka and her family.

FWIW, I read the ending of the last letter as 'GB of Seka'. As if to memorize the sentence so it could be repeated later along with the notation of whom it was said about. It clearly looks like the word "of" to me.

I think you're right, Cubby. And now that I read it again, I wonder how someone can throw another person "out of her midst". It doesn't sound like standard English somehow. Maybe I need to rethink the matter of English being GB's first language.

Have you tried contacting The First Serbian Benevolent Society of San Francisco? http://fsbs.org/

Maybe some of the memebers might know or have known her.

It's a good idea, but difficult to do without a last name and what seems to be a very common nickname...not to mention that the date she was in SF was so long ago.

I think you're right, Cubby. And now that I read it again, I wonder how someone can throw another person "out of her midst". It doesn't sound like standard English somehow. Maybe I need to rethink the matter of English being GB's first language.

Honestly, I don't think it is so much as English being a second language for GB, but rather his lack of education. If the 1940 census info is accurate, I believe it was posted his highest level of education was 8th grade. I get the impression he read a lot and tried to teach himself, but was unable to use the words he read in the proper context.

IMO, his use of this language was an attempt to present himself as having more education than he did, in addition to manipulating those around him. And probably to make it appear he was more succesful than he actually was.

Cubby, you beat me to the punch, I read "GB of Seka". In other words, GB dictating to GW about Seka.

I don't believe that Seka could have known GB from Dec "76 to 1978 without knowing his surname, anyone I have known and communicated with for any length of time, I certainly know their surname (not counting the internet, which was not around then).

I also don't know if GB actually knew Seka's family because with his delusions of grandeur, if Seka's family were well known/famous, knowing Seka would automatically make her family his "dear friends". Annasmom, do the letters to Seka's family look like originals that he never sent or do they look like carbon/roneo copies (yes, I know I am showing my age LOL).

The post I showed my colleague today is definitely in Serbian so I think we should organize a post on the forum.

I think we should still follow up on SB that I posted about, there are too many things that point in her direction and I just can't let it go without a rule in/out.

Seka is a shortening on Svetlana. SB is the granddaughter of Tito and GB nick named Seka "Little Tito". Tito lived in Belgrade and so did Seka. SB is obviously highly intelligent as she was a free lance journalist at the age of 15 (fame) and a cardiologist at the age of 25 (fame), with her intelligence she would have easily seen through GB's crap. GB obviously knew who Tito was to nick name Seka "Little Tito". SB was born in 1955 which seems to fit with Seka's age.

Tito had a connection with Russia, he was a prisoner of war in Omsk, Russia in 1918 and his first wife, SB's Grandmother, was Russian (this could be a connection between the families).

After re-reading GB's note to "Madam Romanticist", there is something else, that I will not post on forum (for SB's privacy), that makes me wonder if SB is Seka.

It may be premature but I would just like to ask SB straight out if she is Seka.

"Madam Romanticist" - perhaps she was a journalist at that time?

I agree her bdate of 1955 fits the bill.
I agree that the Little Tito nickname fits as well IF this was her grandfather...
I also agree that there could be a connection between the families.
I agree that we should go forward and contact her and ask her if she is Seka.

Good Luck with that Ozziemom, looking forward to the outcome.

Our Seka had one brother that we know of according to the notes, do we know if SB has siblings?

Half-siblings only, not full siblings, as far as I remember and as far as I could find out. Her father was married three times and had a son and a daughter from his first marriage, another son from his second marriage, and SB from his third marriage. I posted the link to the article in one of my earlier posts, but I don't know how many people on this board can read that language. Hope this helps.

For me, SB being a freelance journalist at age 15 almost rules it out entirely for me. That and the fact we have zero info indicating she was ever in SF.

Is there nothing out there indicating where she has traveled?

Her age has to be known, how old was SB in 76-78?

She was born in 1955, so 21-23.
Personally, I don't believe she studied in SF; she graduated in 1980 from School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, and her website never mentions anything about studying abroad. I can't help thinking that if she spent any time studying abroad, especially in the US, that would be mentioned, because it would have been seen as a huge achievement. (Another thought: I don't know what University of Belgrade was like in those days, or what it is like now, but would they have acknowledged any part of one's degree passed abroad?)

Re the above, a thought just occured to me .... If one joins the forum and sign's in the name Seka may be clickable to respond to her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back