The Rumor Mill -- unsubstantiated, yet possible relevant information

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHA, I love it. My apologies to the rest of the group for getting off-track there. But when I saw that dude say "You're out of your depth", I just couldn't resist. It was the first thing that came to mind. I do agree that we should refrain from badmouthing the dead without warrant. It's, as someone else already put it, deplorable. But that's just like my opinion, man.

Please spill the beans as to what officers are saying this please. If it is many it would be of help if you do tell. I am sure LE would be extremely interested on talking to you about this. It would be helpful to the case.

Thanx, fixing the problem is a solution...it works, I am very interested on what officers are saying this, as you state MANY.

So you have much insider info it seems. Help the families & do tell. I think it would be surprising....

Certain rumors are enlightening, like this one. Very telling

That is the problem. People are saying "I heard this from person A who heard it from person B who is LE".

I myself have not heard this from anyone who is LE. I've been trying. But no dice.

Oh please, you're out of your depth - clearly you're not from the area where he lived and worked, or you would know:

1. He most definitely was closely involved in local politics.
2. Everyone knew what he looked like because he was all over the local press for his "very famous business" and all the other things he did for people in the community.
3. It is questionable that it was a suicide. Many locals believe it was a homicide due to the circumstances surrounding the death (which I'm not going into here because it's not relevant.)

I honestly don't know if he is the LISK, I'll wait to be told one way or the other, but I wanted to post here to let people know how much pain is being caused from the rumors and misinformation.

Please STOP.

I've lived Suffolk County for over 30 years and I never knew his name or what he looked like. Yes I have been to his business, but I had no idea who the owner was.

I've lived Suffolk County for over 30 years and I never knew his name or what he looked like. Yes I have been to his business, but I had no idea who the owner was.

So basically you don't know people, Who own businesses you frequent for 30 yrs, that wouldn't be surpring. Who would not know the owner of the business they frequent if he was there ALOT?. It's uncommon & unlikely imo. So whats the point? I am missing your point, can you explain? thank you, I am very confused thats all. It doesn't make much sense can't dicpher your meaning & point. <modsnip> I am confused please be a little forth right as I can't read between the lines. Thank You just trying to get your comment.

That is the problem. People are saying "I heard this from person A who heard it from person B who is LE".

I myself have not heard this from anyone who is LE. I've been trying. But no dice.

Well possibly the people you know who are saying these untruths are friendly with JB in some way. That's the only reason I can come up with why someone would try to pin the dead man as the SK. That is so far fetched the inquirer won't even write that IMO. Hurting an innocent family, you should pass the names of your many friends saying this IMO. I would definately want to talk to you if I was LE because you have alot of belief in these so called rumors to even write them.

Most people would here them & know that they are not appropriate so why you do confuses me & IMO needs to be perused by LE, so the leaks start the officers are put on leave who are trashing an innocent family or they would be let go & it seems like you hold some keys. So I suggest you report these so called rumors you believe in as you stated you go either way. That is truthfully concerning in my eyes ...you have no evidence of any kind.

What do you think about SG saying JB & MP were trying to kill her & she is dead like all the othe prostitutes that were hired in the same fashion. All from craigs list like JB hired SG.
The fact JB offered more money?
The fact that JB claimed SG was a transvestite & a dead male was recovered in womans clothing?

Does any of those factual events lead you to go either way?

Just wondering why one hangs onto & posts a person with not one link, confused. But certainly Folling your posts are worthy of understanding your points, opinions & off the collar comments I find the very interesting. Please post more. I am a fan

I actually enjoy deciphering meanings & behaviors for a hobby. Thanx, new fan

From the Wall Street Journal:

"Law enforcement officials on eastern Long Island are seeking to quiet rumors in the notorious serial killer investigation.
The Suffolk County district attorney's office issued a statement Tuesday saying it has received hundreds of inquiries about rumors in the case.
Officials have previously said there are no suspects in the case of 10 bodies found along Ocean Parkway since 2010. Tuesday's statement says neither the DA nor police will comment further."

http://online.wsj.com/article/APcace890d41e246e78141ff8ee02aa2eb.html

So basically you don't know people, Who own businesses you frequent for 30 yrs, that wouldn't be surpring. Who would not know the owner of the business they frequent if he was there ALOT?. It's uncommon & unlikely imo. So whats the point? I am missing your point, can you explain? thank you, I am very confused thats all. It doesn't make much sense can't dicpher your meaning & point. <modsnip> I am confused please be a little forth right as I can't read between the lines. Thank You just trying to get your comment.

Where did I say I have been frequenting his business for over 30 years? It's only been in business for 11 or 12 years. Who said he was there a lot?

We're not talking about a small business like a deli or flower shop where the owner is hands on with the customers. And it's not the type of business that one would frequent on weekly basis. Maybe once or twice a year.

Hey, I go to Stop and Shop at least twice a week but I don't have a clue who owns them either.

And no I wasn't discrediting anyone. I was responding to someone who discredited another LIer, saying that everyone from the area knows who he is. I was just pointing out that no, not all LIers know his name or what he looked like.

The rumor has finally been laid to rest, no more talk about bissett please!
That rumor bothered me because they run a great nursery, I buy my burlap there every spring.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=318969&position=1&news_type=news

"Investigators issue press release on Gilgo Internet rumors

(05/08/12) WOODBURY - Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota and the Suffolk County Police Department issued a statement this afternoon in regard to recent rumors involving a possible suspect in the Gilgo Beach murders.

The statement reads as follows:

During the past few weeks we have received hundreds of questions from members of the media about the accuracy of rumors represented on various websites regarding the solving of what is commonly referred to by the media as the Gilgo Beach murder case.

The solving of these murders has been, and will remain, a top priority for the Suffolk County Police Department and the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. All necessary law enforcement resources are being devoted to solving this case.

As with any active investigation, the Suffolk County Police Department and the district attorney's office should not and will not comment on who may or may not be a suspect.

Additionally, as far as updates on this investigation are concerned, neither agency will comment further at this time until we have some additional information pertaining to the investigation that serves the public or the investigation by its release.

Unfounded, anonymous internet postings or rumors about who may be a suspect should be given the appropriate weight they deserve by those who read them. It should be remembered that this type of unsubstantiated "gossip" can cause substantial harm and emotional trauma, not only to the members of the families mentioned on the internet postings, but also to the families of the victims.

While we are confident that this long, complicated, difficult investigation will eventually be brought to a successful conclusion, it will be the facts and evidence that will lead us to this conclusion and not internet rumors. "

Finally everyone can leave this poor and his family alone. I wish to say that as a family member of the victim Maureen, I was hurt and very upset by how people were pointing fingers at a dead man who had nothing to do with these murders. It not only upset me but the other families of the victims as well. We do not want false hope nor someone man and their families falsely being accused of this tragic crime when there is no truth into it. Thank you, Meltruth.

The rumor has finally been laid to rest, no more talk about bissett please!
That rumor bothered me because they run a great nursery, I buy my burlap there every spring.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=318969&position=1&news_type=news

"Investigators issue press release on Gilgo Internet rumors

(05/08/12) WOODBURY - Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota and the Suffolk County Police Department issued a statement this afternoon in regard to recent rumors involving a possible suspect in the Gilgo Beach murders.

The statement reads as follows:

During the past few weeks we have received hundreds of questions from members of the media about the accuracy of rumors represented on various websites regarding the solving of what is commonly referred to by the media as the Gilgo Beach murder case.

The solving of these murders has been, and will remain, a top priority for the Suffolk County Police Department and the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. All necessary law enforcement resources are being devoted to solving this case.

As with any active investigation, the Suffolk County Police Department and the district attorney's office should not and will not comment on who may or may not be a suspect.

Additionally, as far as updates on this investigation are concerned, neither agency will comment further at this time until we have some additional information pertaining to the investigation that serves the public or the investigation by its release.

Unfounded, anonymous internet postings or rumors about who may be a suspect should be given the appropriate weight they deserve by those who read them. It should be remembered that this type of unsubstantiated "gossip" can cause substantial harm and emotional trauma, not only to the members of the families mentioned on the internet postings, but also to the families of the victims.

While we are confident that this long, complicated, difficult investigation will eventually be brought to a successful conclusion, it will be the facts and evidence that will lead us to this conclusion and not internet rumors. "

Finally. Now we can move on and focus on getting the truth behind this case.

Well possibly the people you know who are saying these untruths are friendly with JB in some way. That's the only reason I can come up with why someone would try to pin the dead man as the SK. That is so far fetched the inquirer won't even write that IMO. Hurting an innocent family, you should pass the names of your many friends saying this IMO. I would definately want to talk to you if I was LE because you have alot of belief in these so called rumors to even write them.

Most people would here them & know that they are not appropriate so why you do confuses me & IMO needs to be perused by LE, so the leaks start the officers are put on leave who are trashing an innocent family or they would be let go & it seems like you hold some keys. So I suggest you report these so called rumors you believe in as you stated you go either way. That is truthfully concerning in my eyes ...you have no evidence of any kind.

What do you think about SG saying JB & MP were trying to kill her & she is dead like all the othe prostitutes that were hired in the same fashion. All from craigs list like JB hired SG.
The fact JB offered more money?
The fact that JB claimed SG was a transvestite & a dead male was recovered in womans clothing?

Does any of those factual events lead you to go either way?

Just wondering why one hangs onto & posts a person with not one link, confused. But certainly Folling your posts are worthy of understanding your points, opinions & off the collar comments I find the very interesting. Please post more. I am a fan

I actually enjoy deciphering meanings & behaviors for a hobby. Thanx, new fan

Where is the outrage about slandering "living" people? CHP, JB, MP, ect. I hate rumors just like eveyone else. But There is ABSOLUTLY NO proof, JB, CHP or MP killed anyone. But yet their names are posted all over the internet. Talk about agendas and mis-information......A "John" is not the best thing to be(JB). Still no proof he killed anyone. The "phone calls" from CHP are still nonconclusive. The pimp(MP), maybe a chance of some sort of conviction, trafficing ect..... BUT NOT ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE OF A SERIAL KILLER!!!!. Yet there is no outrage about their names being thrown out in the web. Fair is fair folks. Peter Beret is exactly right. No proof, no conviction. America, innocent until PROVEN guilty. And that also goes in the public arena. My opinion, being a WS'er... we are at the mercy of LE, the media (not so reliable) and vicious rumors. Let us plese be careful not to do damage but to help. We are not here to be the solvers of these crimes, but to ba an assistant to LE and to maybe find something that might help THEM solve these crimes. Settle down please. MHO really.

Just for the record, this thread is called The Rumor Mill for a reason. Nothing here is presented as fact, simply a re-telling of things we are hearing from locals. If anyone is disturbed or offended by the content here, the appropriate way to deal with it is to alert on a post and bring it to a mods attention. Better to let a mod handle this type of issue, rather than bicker amongst yourself....IMO.

That said...it is against forum rules to post the names of people not named POI by LE. Just a reminder.

Just for the record, this thread is called The Rumor Mill for a reason. Nothing here is presented as fact, simply a re-telling of things we are hearing from locals. If anyone is disturbed or offended by the content here, the appropriate way to deal with it is to alert on a post and bring it to a mods attention. Better to let a mod handle this type of issue, rather than bicker amongst yourself....IMO.

That said...it is against forum rules to post the names of people not named POI by LE. Just a reminder.

Also as a reminder. JB, CHP, nor MP have been named a POI. There has been NO POI nemed in this case. What I was getting at was not ill intended. Suspicion is a good thing. But to hang an innocent person out to dry is doing more harm than good.

Letter: All-out effort for Shannan

Published: January 23, 2012 5:20 PM

Photo credit: James Carbone | Mari Gilbert, with her daughter Sherre Gilbert, inside a marshy area where Shannan Gilbert was found dead along the westbound Ocean Parkway between Oak Beach and the Robert Moses Causeway in Babylon. (Jan. 14, 2012)

I am writing in response to "Gilbert's mom asks feds to step in" [News, Dec. 21], in which John Ray, the lawyer who represents Shannan Gilbert's family, strongly criticized Suffolk County police detectives investigating the Gilgo Beach murders. It is quite obvious that Ray has not listened to Gilbert's 911 call nor spoken to any investigators assigned to the case. His claims are misleading and lack credibility. I have been a member of the department's homicide squad for 17 years and worked on the Gilgo investigation in its first three months.

I listened to Gilbert's 22-minute 911 call. The 911 operator tried several times to get Gilbert's location. At one point, she mentioned she was near Jones Beach. Gilbert never said she was at Oak Beach. It is hard to respond to a call when the person calling doesn't know where he or she is.

<modnsip>

Editor's note: The writer is the secretary-treasurer of the Suffolk Detectives Association.

User rating:

(15) Click to rate

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/letter-all-out-effort-for-shannan-1.3473520

Also as a reminder. JB, CHP, nor MP have been named a POI. There has been NO POI nemed in this case. What I was getting at was not ill intended. Suspicion is a good thing. But to hang an innocent person out to dry is doing more harm than good.

No, but they have all been questioned by LE and outted in msm, so that makes them fair game , imo.

If you read the so called DA/SCPD denial you might agree it was less than definitive. Why not just report JB is NOT a suspect, never was a SUSPECT and do so in strong language?

YOU LIKE RUMORS? Here is one to mull over? Ask if there is a person very close to the investigation from the police department that wasn't himself charged with : burglary, unlawful imprisonment, and an assortment of other charges by the POLICE DEPT and not the DA when he returned to a prostitutes house to retrieve his weapon he left behind. That the prostitute refused to let him back in as it was rumored he was stinking drunk and he kicked in her door and held her hostage. That there are MANY rumors swirling about the SCPD for a very long time that this is/was a common practice of this high ranking police officer.

Ask then if they will release his IAB file. They will tell you it is not FOIL - 'able' as it is protected under law.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that file has been removed now that person is in a position to do it and ensure those that know about it will keep their mouths shut.

If that one doesn't catch you interest then try doing a google on a certain high ranking conservative party leader and well placed individual in the SC corrections.

If you read the so called DA/SCPD denial you might agree it was less than definitive. Why not just report JB is NOT a suspect, never was a SUSPECT and do so in strong language?

I was thinking along similar lines. I read it a couple times, and though I am just starting my morning caffeine, I do not see where they state this person was not investigated or was never a suspect, etc.. My take from it overall: don't believe everything you read online (duh), and we will not comment on who has been or is a suspect, nor whether we have ever had/do have a suspect. I don't see where they say anything that could be interpreted as "we never suspected this guy".

I am not saying I believe this person is in anyway connected. But the ambiguity of the LE statement puzzles me.

YOU LIKE RUMORS? Here is one to mull over? Ask if there is a person very close to the investigation from the police department that wasn't himself charged with : burglary, unlawful imprisonment, and an assortment of other charges by the POLICE DEPT and not the DA when he returned to a prostitutes house to retrieve his weapon he left behind. That the prostitute refused to let him back in as it was rumored he was stinking drunk and he kicked in her door and held her hostage. That there are MANY rumors swirling about the SCPD for a very long time that this is/was a common practice of this high ranking police officer.

Ask then if they will release his IAB file. They will tell you it is not FOIL - 'able' as it is protected under law.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that file has been removed now that person is in a position to do it and ensure those that know about it will keep their mouths shut.

If that one doesn't catch you interest then try doing a google on a certain high ranking conservative party leader and well placed individual in the SC corrections.

that's too complicated to catch fire like the nursery rumor did, you need to keep it simple for the layman, that is why I am developing a new rumor that Billy Joel is the LISK.

simple direct connection for the brain to make:

bissett = burlap = lisk

billy joel = long island celebrity = lisk

I need help with the joel rumor, so far I have "he transported the victims inside of pianos" and the blunt force trauma was in the shape of a Grammy, anybody else have some good ideas for billy? lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021