"Swamp People" star Mitchell Guist dies in Louisiana's Belle River

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
History Channel reality TV series "Swamp People" star Mitchell Guist died in Louisiana's Belle River on Monday (May 14). A Louisiana sheriff believe he slipped and fell while loading items onto a boat. He also suffered a seizure, He had fallen while aboard his boat on the Intracoastal Waterway, near Pierre Part. 49-year-old star Guist was pronounced dead at a Morgan City, Louisiana hospital.

The local news channel WBRZ released 911 call tapes, placed moments after Mitchell Guist fell. The boat turned around and someone aboard called for help. Nearby witnesses called 911. According to the Witness caller, Mitchell had a seizure then went into cardiac arrest.

http://pqrnews.com/News/swamp-peopl...oating-fall-mitchell-guist-911-call-released/

BELLE RIVER - Authorities released 911 tapes this afternoon which showed the lengths people in the Belle River went to try and revive "Swamp People" star Mitchell Guist.

Guist died after collapsing in a boat shortly after it launched onto the Belle River around 9 a.m. this morning, according to Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack.

The boat turned around and someone aboard called for help. Nearby witnesses called 911, and asked for ambulances or a helicopter.

"You say he's in cardiac arrest?" the dispatcher said on the call.

"Yes sir, we're blowing and pumping the guy's chest right now," the caller said. "It looks like he may have had a heart attack."

Emergency responders took Guist to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities said they do not know the specific cause of death.

Guist was one of several Louisiana residents featured in the popular reality TV show "Swamp People". The History Channel, which films the program, released a statement saying they were "extremely saddened" by the news, and the show continue to air as scheduled.

Mitchell's brother, Glen also appears on the show with him.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/911-tapes-released-in-guist-death/

IIRC, he had lived with his brother forever and they were very close. I think this will be very hard on Mitchell's brother.

RIP Mitchell.

I love, love, love this show and I am not sure why. Mitchell was a hard worker and I am sorry to hear he has died. But, he died on his boat and I am sure that's the way he would have wanted to go. I feel bad for his brother, also, as they worked in unison for survival and also to make a living. RIP Mitchell.

This is my favorite show. It isnt just about the gators they kill but the closeness they all have with their families. Troy is an wonderful father and family man and my top favorite.

Glenn and Mitchell were two of my favorites. I have always thought they had the most upbeat attitude and so happy living on the bayou all of their lives.

I wonder now if Glenn will continue to be on the show with Mitchell no longer there?

IMO

Yesterday was a very sad day for us Louisianians.

:(

Glen and all who love Mitch will continue to be in my prayers.

"Oh Ya Ya Babe!"

RIP Mitchell.

I am so sorry to hear about Mitchell's passing. Swamp People will not be the same without him and I'm sure his brother will miss him terribly.

RIP Mr Guist. You and your brother educated people about life in the bayou and for that I thank you. You will be missed!

wm

I would also like to mention how gracious our Swamp People stars are. They love our state and spend a lot of time mingling with us.
Just about everybody I know has met at least one cast member and they have pictures with them.
They are always smiling and happy to sign something or just chat for a while.

That's how we roll here.

While much of the country sees us as back woods and uneducated, we see ourselves as hard working, generous, loving neighbors.

Mitchell was a perfect example of that.

JMO

I would also like to mention how gracious our Swamp People stars are. They love our state and spend a lot of time mingling with us.
Just about everybody I know has met at least one cast member and they have pictures with them.

That's how we roll here.

While much of the country sees us as back woods and uneducated, we see ourselves as hard working, generous, loving neighbors.

JMO

You are so right, Kimberly125. The friendliest, kindest, most generous people in the US live in Lousiana and serve the best food I have ever eaten. (from my experience) Every time I watch Swamp people, I crave the Alligator/Shrimp Cheesecake from 'Jacques Imos' in New Orleans and wonder if one of the folks on Swamp people caught that gator I ate.

IMO, the people in LA is what makes it such a magical place for visitors. Mr wm and I would move there if we could, lol!

Anyway, I hope Glenn stays on the show if he wishes to.

wm

That's how we roll here.

JMO

Bruce came to our state and so many showed up to welcome him to Georgia. He is such a nice man. They all are.

IMO

I looove LA! Only spent three days there last year. It was enough to make me want to go back. I probably don't have enough knowledge of the place to say this, I've even entertained the thought of moving there.

Yes , he and his brother were extremely close and lived together in a house in the boonies that had been their grandparents. They lived a simple life of mostly living off the land and drinking beer and chasing gators, squirrels and other things they love to hunt and eat. I thought they were the most amusing pair of brothers, 2 of the last of a dying breed of hardcore Cajuns.
What I loved about them was their obvious pleasure in their simple life, not having much but not feeling they needed anything that they couldn't get themselves. They didn't depend on the gov't for anything. They were self sufficient and living a life free of stress and all of the drama that 95% of people have. I would love to live on the bayou like that but I don;t like snakes and Mr. Swamp and I are well settled on land but close to water.
If the world would collapse tomorrow with no electricity, phones, computers etc and money lost value, they would have risen to the top as those who would be living the best, while bankers, rappers, divas, and others who are the 1% now would all die off quickly.
The brothers were so close that most people just referred to them as GlennMitchell since they were pretty much inseperable. They made a cute couple and were fun to watch interact with each other. I feel so bad for Glenn, he must be devastated to lose his brother and best friend. I hope he can take comfort in the fact that The TV show showed what a wonderful relationship they had and captured many of their moments together. I cant imagine they would have had many pictures of each other or together if not for the TV show.
RIP Mitchell, you were a pleasure to watch as you lived the life you loved. There should more people with your attitude and happy go lucky, contented with a simple life, personality!

I love "Swamp People." I really admire Troy and his family.

My least favorite one on the show is Tommy. He really treats his step-dad like crap when he's been drinking.

I like Bruce and his family also.

I haven't seen the show beyond season one, I'm waiting for the new ones to come on NetFlix.

RIP Mitchell.

I love "Swamp People." I really admire Troy and his family.

My least favorite one on the show is Tommy. He really treats his step-dad like crap when he's been drinking.

I like Bruce and his family also.

I haven't seen the show beyond season one, I'm waiting for the new ones to come on NetFlix.

RIP Mitchell.

I actually didnt care for Tommy either but he and his daddy have really grown close this year and Tommy has been very good to his father and has been very responsible. When his daddy got down in his back Tommy went out by himself and showed his daddy he could take the stress off of him by catching a lot of gators. I always knew Tommy loves his daddy with all his heart but he had some maturing to do and seems to have really come full circle this season.

Now I like Willie :).........that boy can toss a hook out anywhere and snag a big old gator.

I really like them all this season.

IMO

I love this show to bits. "See yu later, Aligater" hee hee.

At first their level of white trashiness entertained me and quietly feel a little superior but after a couple of episodes they really have a wonderful life. Very family oriented ands unafected by the presence of the cameras.

I love this show to bits. "See yu later, Aligater" hee hee.

At first their level of white trashiness entertained me and quietly feel a little superior but after a couple of episodes they really have a wonderful life. Very family oriented ands unafected by the presence of the cameras.

I knew before I watched the first show none of them were white trash. White trash is a slur used against those who are flat out lazy, sorry, no good, and dont work and never will.

People like those that appear on the show are the salt of the earth and have so much knowledge about so many things concerning the environment and survival. They may not have book smarts but they are filled with vast knowledge and most of all great common sense.

I have watched them all and am in awe at how much love and genuine affection they have for their families. They love them openly and deeply and they are all about family..even extended family members are precious to these families. The friends that they have... they have had forever.

I hope a lot of people have learned from watching them that happiness is not about material things or money. It is all about respect, honor, love of family,working hard to provide for their families, repecting the environment, and everything in it, and remaining humble, and grateful for what God has given them.

They make me know I am doing the right thing in my own life by putting my family's love first and foremost and my love for them is above any material possession I own..

IMO

I knew before I watched the first show none of them were white trash. White trash is a slur used against those who are flat out lazy, sorry, no good, and dont work and never will.

People like those that appear on the show are the salt of the earth and have so much knowledge about so many things concerning the environment and survival. They may not have book smarts but they are filled with vast knowledge and most of all great common sense.

I have watched them all and am in awe at how much love and genuine affection they have for their families. They love them openly and deeply and they are all about family..even extended family members are precious to these families. The friends that they have... they have had forever.

I hope a lot of people have learned from watching them that happiness is not about material things or money. It is all about respect, honor, love of family,working hard to provide for their families, repecting the environment, and everything in it, and remaining humble, and grateful for what God has given them.

They make me know I am doing the right thing in my own life by putting my family's love first and foremost and my love for them is above any material possession I own..

IMO

Thank you.
You said this a lot better than I could have.

There is nothing about the hard working Cajun people that is "white trashy".

Very sad to hear this. I live in Australia and we have only just started getting this show on TV.

It is one of our favourites - better than so many of the other reality TV shows. These are real people, working hard and not playing up to the cameras.

Sometimes Louisiana gets a bad reputation because it is a southern state and there is well known cases of corruption in politics. The looters and fraudsters of Katrina were also well publicized.

But people who know the real Louisiana residents, who are simple everyday people, love Louisiana and the people here. I went from New Orleans to rural Louisiana and love it. I live in a small town with people who are named Poony, TicToc, Porkchop, Taterhead (and his son TaterTot) and Boogie. Mr Swamp hunts alligators every season with a best friend of his and I have gone along. They amuse me with their conversations, their sense of humor and the way they think nothing of going after a 10 foot alligator. They both are great cooks and I know I'll never starve, even if every grocery store in the word disappears. I admire the fact that they can fix anything.

The show "swamp people" has been great about showing the side of Louisiana that most people don't see because country and cajun people are private people who don't seek the limelight or the big life full of bling. The things they value and seek are related to family and home, not fame and fortune.

Our idea of a great party is a Crawfish boil on a Saturday night, with everyone outside, the kids running around, with lots of laughter going on. Nothing fancy there, no trying to impress everyone with matching china, fancy foods or designer clothes.

I hope Glenn will be OK. Hopefully he will find himself a sweet Cajun woman who loves living on the bayou with him. I wish him all the best and am really saddened to hear about the loss of his brother.

Thanks to everyone about their kind remarks about Louisiana. Too often we get picked on or looked down on but if you get to know the real people of Louisiana, you would never want to leave. We will feed you well and show you how we have a good time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back