LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, someone turned it off and hid all of her belongings including a large bike. Nothing has been found. Since she wasn't reported missing to LE until 15-16 hours later, someone had a long time to dispose of her backpack, mace, cellphone, and bike.
Turned it off or dropped it in water. :(

Good questions. I'd like the answers also. We're missing some of the
pieces to this puzzle.
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, if so I missed it. But does
anyone know what clothes she had on?

pastel striped shirt
skinny jeans....

ETA: Shunick is 5-foot-1 and 115 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pastel multi-colored striped shirt, light-wash skinny jeans and gray shoes.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mickey-shu...-bike-route-missing-student/story?id=16418943

pieces to this puzzle.
Shunick has light blonde hair, is 5 foot 1 inch tall and weighs 115 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pastel multi-colored striped shirt, light-wash skinny jeans and gray shoes. She had a brown leather backpack purse with her.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...-guarantees-10-000-reward-Shunick-whereabouts

Hi lindsay:seeya: so glad you joined WS again and that you were able to join the search again today (yesterday now). I really want to continue to help searching but we're getting ready to go out of town for a week. Hopefully Mickey is located before I leave or at least before I get back to town. If she's not found by then I do plan to volunteer again as soon as I return ... maybe we'll meet up again.

I'm going out of town tomorrow to stay the night at my parents', maybe two, but I am taking flyers with me and if she still hasn't been found I will probably leave my kids with my parents so I can spend more time searching.

I imagine this has been answered, but haven't seen it. I think I may be missing something here. If I understand correctly - she rode her bike from her home? to where? Not the nightclub? And she left the nightclub with her friend - she was tired and hungry (where is the bike?) and they went to Taco Bell to get food. Then back to his house to eat. She was tired and it was 2 am, and her "good" friend let her ride her bike home instead of driving her there. Is this a common practice in this area?

Common practice for her, yes. Confirmed by her sister, parents, and several close friends.

pieces to this puzzle.

Complete description of her clothes, bike, and belongings here:

https://www.facebook.com/missingcas...89822219.65708.212865135400495&type=1&theater

I imagine this has been answered, but haven't seen it. I think I may be missing something here. If I understand correctly - she rode her bike from her home? to where? Not the nightclub? And she left the nightclub with her friend - she was tired and hungry (where is the bike?) and they went to Taco Bell to get food. Then back to his house to eat. She was tired and it was 2 am, and her "good" friend let her ride her bike home instead of driving her there. Is this a common practice in this area?

Seems like we that follow crime forums whether be here or elsewhere,
and shows like NG and JVM would be more in tune with our surroundings.
In this case what WAS he thinking! She was all that you mentioned above
so maybe she pulled over to rest a bit somewhere and someone stopped.

I would have insisted on throwing the bike in the car and driving her the
short distance. I don't care how many bikers are out at that hour; it's
not safe for anyone to be out and about at that time.

For some reason the line that I've started to say, (quite often now)
is, 'They just don't get it'. This is happening much to often now
and that is sad. Mace is good but it depends on the person, place
and your own reaction time! jmo

According to the NG show and one of those she interviewed yes it is. Most of the college kids are very into bicycling. They also said there would have been a lot of bicycles on that road at that time.

I am wondering why nobody came forward. If there were others as the sheriff said...how come nobody saw anything? Perhaps she wasn't even there?????

I can't imagine a young man allowing a pretty blonde friend to ride home on a bicycle at 2 in the morning in an area deemed unsafe by residents.

Something is wrong.

By the way are the parents divorced? I think yes because mom has a different last name. I mention that because perhaps she stayed at each home and they both thought she was at the other? Just putting it out there.

By the way are the parents divorced? I think yes because mom has a different last name. I mention that because perhaps she stayed at each home and they both thought she was at the other? Just putting it out there.

Nope, they live together, with Mickey, and all have the same last name, Shunick.

I live near Baton Rouge and signs went up on the interstate within the past year about Stopping Human Traffiking. I didn't know it happened in the states..
Anyway. It's been on the news a lot, news stories etc.
Now when young girls go missing, the police are on it fast.
It seems like they know this is a bigger problem than we can even imagine.

I live near Baton Rouge and signs went up on the interstate within the past year about Stopping Human Traffiking. I didn't know it happened in the states..
Anyway. It's been on the news a lot, news stories etc.
Now when young girls go missing, the police are on it fast.
It seems like they know this is a bigger problem than we can even imagine.

In a horrible way I complety agree Witch is why we no nothing

First off, I don't have much to contribute...but I live in Lafayette and have been reading everything not only on here but watching/reading all of the news feeds as well. I notice that people have been asking alot of questions that have already been answered 100 times already. I know your heart's in the right place, but please get up to date before clogging the boards up with commonly asked questions!

Anyway, about the green van..I noticed if you google map Tennesee to Lafayette 2nd st (which turns into Congress) is one of your first entrances....very convenient!

And 2nd, might not be it, but my co-worker said her sister was harrassed on the ULL campus about 2 weeks ago by a hispanic male in a red car. He asked her for directions and as she was giving them to him she looked down and saw he had been masterbating the entire time. She screamed, ran, and called the cops. They told her that she was the 4th call they had received about him. I don't wan't to start rumors about what happened to Mickey, but there is a perv riding around the ULL area in a red honda asking girls for directions so be careful! I know a car would be hard to kidnapp a girl/bike in...but ppl who commit say, kidnappings, rapes etc usually practice first with public exposure or something minor before they build up the nerve to do what they really want to do. Who knows! Just beware of men asking for directions!!!

We can only speculate on here....and I don't think it's starting rumors...you can't come up with anything without a little discussion right?

If I was feeling a little sick/tired (particularly from a hangover, as has been suggested) I would want to bicycle home. If you're not a cyclist this may sound crazy but I guarantee that a brisk ride of a few miles can really make me feel better!

Although since it's been brought up I am now wondering if she did have a plan to stop in somewhere else and was only complaining of sickness as an excuse to leave.

IMO, BW didn't drive her home because she didn't want him to, for whatever reason.

Makes me wonder about the text she received. Who was it from?

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here,

I do not suspect BW of this, just does not fit the profile in my opinion/gut feeling of someone capable of harming someone in this fashion.

I first came to this websleuths site because of something close to my home in Indiana, the Lauren Spierer case.

The LS case has had me digging deeply into missing people in general. I read and have participated in the LS threads on this site, and boy is that a lot of reading.

Similarities: physical(age, hgt, wght,, race, hair color), went missing late night/am, no body found, was out at a bar, college town, same time of year roughly, college was just let out, was without a vehicle, was out with friends but missing on the final leg home, LS was known to go out to "party".

My speculation: sophisticated abduction, scouted out the situation. stalked at bar, followed out of bar, stalked from a vehicle, knew her routine, waited patiently for perfect opportunity when she was alone.

Perpetrator is a hunter of small extremely attractive college age women, notably blonde. Perp knows to turn cell phones off. methodical stalker, patient, will only act when conditions are perfect.

I just keep thinking that there has to be two people involved.

This MS case came to my attention as I have been regularly been searching (since the LS missing case 6/2011) via google news the following terms, missing student, attempted abduction. Also i have been studying the the missing person database, you can narrow the search by sex, ethnicity, hgt and wght: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/searches/

Bill Warner a PI out of Fl has speculated that there is a "Petite Blonde" serial killer, a post from his site on this: http://www.billwarnerpi.com/2012/04/pretty-blonde-kelli-bordeaux-goes.html

Bill is speculating that this person may be a trucker, not sure about this because a trucker has only his big rig when getting into a town, I suspect these perps to be in conventional trucks or a van. I wonder if they are seasonal workers, storm chasers/tree work, hailstorm roofers, construction workers. I would be interested if there are storm repairs going on in there locally now, or major construction projects.

However, if there is such a duo of abductors, maybe they are independently wealthy and don't have to work, but can be drifters, they may drift to avoid routines and thus getting caught? Or perhaps they are financed by their abductions via a human trafficking racket.

I have been under thinking that there has had to be some that got away, that is why i search google news for “attempted abduction”, in these cases often there is a truck or van involved. Also often there is a physical description given. Another search I like to do under google images is "abduction sketch" this gives you a bunch of police sketches of different suspects.

I really hope MS will be found safe, but I am very concerned based on my years worth of research.

I wanted to share this information with you all so that you may also help web search in a similar fashion. It’s very depressing to dive into this sort of sleuthing but perhaps we can aid LE in some fashion and get these criminals off our streets. As a result of my studies I have emailed on 3 occasions tips to local police agencies around the country, tips that I thought may help in them in different cases based on my putting sketches in different abduction attempts with suspects who got caught in different cases.

I will keep an eye on this thread to follow developments. Thanks to all you websleuthers for this massive collaboration in finding the missing.

According to the NG show and one of those she interviewed yes it is. Most of the college kids are very into bicycling. They also said there would have been a lot of bicycles on that road at that time.

I am wondering why nobody came forward. If there were others as the sheriff said...how come nobody saw anything? Perhaps she wasn't even there?????

I can't imagine a young man allowing a pretty blonde friend to ride home on a bicycle at 2 in the morning in an area deemed unsafe by residents.

Something is wrong.

BBM.
There have been a lot of posts like this lately.
Everyone is not as paranoid and cynical as we are. MS and BW may not be the type of people to see rapists and murderers lurking in the shadows everwhere. My good friend Margarita (a born and bred NYer) tends bar in the west village, and when I help her close (which I'm paid for in free beer, LOL) I hail her a cab, and I let the cabbie know I have his medallion# before she gets in. I also insist she text me when she gets home. While she laughs off my concern, I point out she's pretty, 100lbs soaking wet, and carrying 200-300$ in cash.
This guy was the last male to see Mickey, and he has NANCY GRACE saying he's uninvolved? I think he's in the clear.
JMO, of course.

First off, I don't have much to contribute...but I live in Lafayette and have been reading everything not only on here but watching/reading all of the news feeds as well. I notice that people have been asking alot of questions that have already been answered 100 times already. I know your heart's in the right place, but please get up to date before clogging the boards up with commonly asked questions!

Anyway, about the green van..I noticed if you google map Tennesee to Lafayette 2nd st (which turns into Congress) is one of your first entrances....very convenient!

And 2nd, might not be it, but my co-worker said her sister was harrassed on the ULL campus about 2 weeks ago by a hispanic male in a red car. He asked her for directions and as she was giving them to him she looked down and saw he had been masterbating the entire time. She screamed, ran, and called the cops. They told her that she was the 4th call they had received about him. I don't wan't to start rumors about what happened to Mickey, but there is a perv riding around the ULL area in a red honda asking girls for directions so be careful! I know a car would be hard to kidnapp a girl/bike in...but ppl who commit say, kidnappings, rapes etc usually practice first with public exposure or something minor before they build up the nerve to do what they really want to do. Who knows! Just beware of men asking for directions!!!

We can only speculate on here....and I don't think it's starting rumors...you can't come up with anything without a little discussion right?

Welcome to WS...

I am hoping that LE has something to announce at the PC tomorrow...I fear they just may be calling it to introduce Tim Miller/Texas Equisearch and sign up volunteers, etc...but also hope I am wrong. I don't have a good feeling about Mickey's status at this time. :(

Just throwing out the possibility that if 2 perps are involved, it could be a male/female duo.

Mickey had mace with her. If a woman approached her, perhaps she wouldn't have been as startled or afraid enough to use the mace.

Welcome to WS... I am hoping that LE has something to announce at the PC tomorrow...I fear they just may be calling it to introduce Tim Miller/Texas Equisearch and sign up volunteers, etc...but also hope I am wrong. I don't have a good feeling about Mickey's status at this time. :(

It's been requested that all media attend the press conference scheduled for this afternoon so hopefully LE will be fielding questions. In my mind the most burning questions for LE are:

1) Can they confirm that there were sightings of a suspicious van with out-of-state plates lurking in the area Mickey disappeared and do they consider that vehicle and occupant(s) to be possibly significant in this case? If so, are there any details that they can provide about that van?

2) Could they say where and if it was Mickey seen riding along on the security camera of a private business? Were there any sightings of her on the Lafayette traffic cams?

3) What was the nature of the suspicious activity reported by neighbors in the area Mickey disappeared in? And where?

4) Was there a text message to Mickey's cell late on Friday evening and is it relevant to her disappearance?

Day 7 and we're all praying for a miracle...

Something is wrong.

IIRC, on NG, Mickey's dad referred to Mickey's mom as his "wife". Waiting for the transcripts to be published on CNN's website so I can post it here.

Welcome to WS...

I am hoping that LE has something to announce at the PC tomorrow...I fear they just may be calling it to introduce Tim Miller/Texas Equisearch and sign up volunteers, etc...but also hope I am wrong. I don't have a good feeling about Mickey's status at this time. :(

I agree. What time is the press conference? Yes, I should read back but I have to get ready for work. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX