LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What time of year is alligator season in LA? I always got the idea that it was summer time for some reason? If that is the case, I'd bet alligators move into areas less populated by humans at that time. Alligators are pretty intelligent creatures.

I'm not an expert on these things, but aren't gators cold-blooded reptiles? Most of those are more active when it is hotter, right? You'd think I'd know better having lived in Louisiana all my life, but the reality is, I've only seen them at the zoo and a few times fishing. They have always just disappeared beneath the murky waters when we got close fishing. Every time I've made a mental note to NOT fall out the boat (I'm a klutz).

I'm no expert, but I got this from an expert of sorts :waitasec:... Troy on Swamp People said on a recent episode that gators eat more/bite more when it's HOT! (Ooops... giving away my secret passion!....)

Lol. You're probably right. It's been so long. Thanks!

In order to get a hit in CODIS, there first has to be DNA to submit. If Mickey is ever found and was dumped in water, there likely will be no DNA.

But, let's just hypothetically say there is DNA. A detective may not get a hit right away. They will have to dutifully keep resubmitting the DNA on a regular basis because DNA is added over time.

In the abduction/murder of 13-year-old Krystal Baker from Texas City in 1996, they had DNA from the perp's semen found on her dress. His DNA was not submitted into CODIS until 2010 when he was stopped for a DUI in Louisiana. He was arrested in Groves, TX, in 2010, tried this past April, and convicted of capital murder.

This isn't a common occurrence. Many states do not require DNA swabs be taken from criminals. More take lots of time before submitting it into CODIS and some states never submit it at all.

I remember Krystal Baker's case, if my memory is correct, she was a runaway or had a quarrel with her mother/gmother. It is correct that all states do not have dna laws & yes many folks have a problem with giving up their privacy rights & I honor their decisions.
With that said, we have an epidemic of missing women; daughters, sisters, mothers...without forensics predators will hone their skills while remaining stealth for years, or decades. LE is simply overwhelmed in stranger/stranger abductions. The American public & forensics are their two most valuable tools in missing persons investigations & identifying sexual predators & other violent offenders.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/justice/state-laws-on-dna-data-banks.aspx

State Laws on DNA Data Banks
Qualifying Offenses, Others Who Must Provide Sample

February 2010

All 50 states require that convicted sex offenders provide a DNA sample, and states are increasingly expanding these policies to include all felons and some misdemeanor To date, 47 states require that all convicted felons provide a DNA sample to the state’s database.

At least 15 states to date include certain misdemeanors among those who must provide a DNA sample. Some are misdemeanors for which sex offender registration is required; other states specify certain sex offenses or child victim offenses.

I've been 8 months pregnant at this exact time of year. I hope you are sitting under a vent. It's HOT out there!

It surely is! I'm sitting in the cold AC of my house. My 4 yr old and husband can't understand why I don't want to play outside. Really??? With this insulation on my front?!

Or a manager? Someone that knows how their cameras operate/where they show? The camera maintenance person? The painter of the station? The calibrator person for the pumps?

Uh oh. My mind is going fidgettybutter.

Is it within the realm of possibility that Mickey could've been the victim of an ambush attack, with a person(s) on foot dragging her into a house, an apartment, an enclosed parking garage, or a building either abandoned permanently or just for the weekend?

So, when the FBI came down here, they didn't help put together the profile? I guess I watch too much "Criminal Minds" because I know on there they racially profile in a way that I guess is incorrect. Imagine that, TV misrepresenting how things are done. lol
I am likely wrong then about why the killer was said to be white, but we were specifically told even after the FBI was in on the case that the killer was likely white aged 25-35. There was a witness in the Kinnamore case that said she saw a woman slumped over in a white pickup on I-10 that got off at Whiskey Bay. The witness described the drive as a thin white male. This likely only added to the confidence of BRPD and the FBI that the killer was white. If the FBI didn't disagree with the profile, then that is just as bad as signing off on it, imo. The profile was sooooo wrong, since Lee was not white, nor was he thin (muscular).

There really isn't any sense in arguing about how the investigation was done, somehow DTL was caught and will never be free again. For that, we can all be thankful.

Toward the end of the investigation, TDL's DNA was sent to a specialty lab, which concluded he was of african american descent ....... that's when the tides turned - everyone prior to that, were focusing on a Caucasian/white male.

On an unrelated topic ~ BW made a comment that MS had discussed with him the possibility of going early to the stables to do something with her horses. She was thinking of selling a horse.

Considering the graduation was at 11:30AM (we think) and they were still out/up at 2AM, I don't know how that activity fit into their schedules on Saturday morning, but I find it interesting that BW mentioned it.

What do we know about MS's horses? How many does she have? How much money can a horse bring? Who else has stake in the horses?

I'm not an expert on these things, but aren't gators cold-blooded reptiles? Most of those are more active when it is hotter, right? You'd think I'd know better having lived in Louisiana all my life, but the reality is, I've only seen them at the zoo and a few times fishing. They have always just disappeared beneath the murky waters when we got close fishing. Every time I've made a mental note to NOT fall out the boat (I'm a klutz).

Yes, they do say they bite more when it is hot. I was just thinking they'd move to where less humans were during the hunting season. But, it looks like the hunting season is late August or late September depending on whether it is considered east or west.

The gators around here are not scared of humans at all. I opened my car door to get out once at Pleasure Island and luckily I looked before stepping out because there was a huge one right next to the car.

I mean say this is the same white truck, (gosh I hate to start this again) that is caught headed toward University, caught on cam in front of the Circle K. Where would he have turned around to get to this point in the picture where the old car is seen?

Made a UE at the intersection of Landry and Caulder? Thru the parking lot of LUS---made a left and came out on St Mary? Or turned around anywhere further up Landry?

Or a manager? Someone that knows how their cameras operate/where they show? The camera maintenance person? The painter of the station? The calibrator person for the pumps?

Uh oh. My mind is going fidgettybutter.

Camera. Maintenance. Person.

A tech/security company?

I don't know how much farther I can reach.

I live right down the hill from where Richard Ramirez killed the two elderly women. When I lived with my parents, the house where he came in and tortured the 16 year old girl was up the street.

Having lived through that time period, I think DTL sounds even scarier to me.

A tech/security company?

OK, now I'm answering myself.

Any commonalities between the tech/security people on campus and at the municipal building? Same person works/worked both places?

Nothing more of this mysterious green van with TN plates?

I'm not even remotely convinced that this vehicle wasn't involved, based on an eyewitness account of what happened to her earlier that day, involving said van.

I hope this loads correctly. This is the abandoned boat in Carencro member whatsthatnoise reported.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 199

A tech/security company?

If Mickey continued on St. Landry and there is NO further footage of her or her abduction, then either the perp is extremely lucky, or maybe he DOES know something about the cameras on St. Landry. Maybe one of the security firms. I'm interested to see what Chicken comes up with on the route.

It's suspicious cause of where I saw it. Along a tree line as if someone backed a boat in then unhitched and took off. Could just be a dump site for an unwanted boat but I don't like it being so close to my mothers. It's along rural university ave along a tree line with no driveway
I am new here an hope I am doing this right.
How long has it been that you passed that way? Could the boat be there from the flooding in Carencro? I think it was about a month to a month and a half ago.

I sure hope this works. Sorry if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko