5-9-12 Steven Powell Trial *GUILTY!!!* 6-15-12 SENTENCING HEARING

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that if this sentence is anything like that one last year to the far southeast (not wanting to even mention "it's" name) I will have to question myself on following these trials ever again. I hate to even let my mind go there.

Please dear Lord, let justice prevail and this creeper be punished in the eyes of the law. There has been so much evil in this family that has manifested itself, it has to be that way, it just has to.........

The old SOB is Evil personified & deserves the MAXimum sentence and a daily shower-date with bubba thrown in for good measure.

The Coxes attorney, Bremner, will be filing civil charges today also.

No matter what happens today, there is still no justice for Susan, Charlie and Braden.

I guess Anne Bremner served SP with a new lawsuit.

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
.@annembremner has promised me a copy of the lawsuit. I'll post it as soon as I get it. @fox13now #StevePowell #findsusan

1 Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
#StevePowell acknowledged service of the lawsuit, through his lawyers. @fox13now #findsusan

Alina just walked in and SP's attorney is going over his personal info. School, job, etc.

Judge is seated, SP is being brought into the court room wearing blue scrubs (looking outfit) with a pink tee shirt underneath. Defense advises numerous minor inacurracies . . . ones needing corrected: Grad from Eastern Wash. University 1989 in History, true work history - worked Virco - furniture factory sales rep - lost job 2006 due to downsizing. Worked for Dept. of Corrections 3/2006 until arrested doing same type of furniture work. Social history taken from daughter, Jennifer Graves who testified against him - no contact over 20 years - SP doesn't want that to be part of the record (Alaina just walked into the courtroom late and seated in back row).

Flurry of briefs and responses, double jeopardy, custody, sentencing others with similar convictions, statuate - pre June 2006 statuate - max 1 year on each of the charges - max 5 years top. Judge wants to know Mr. Quigly info on others who received sentences on similar charges.

Defense wants to get all the counts figured out. they want all but 2 thrown out on double jeopardy grounds.

Defense argues if 50 photos are taken in 2 min period it should be all one charge. Digital video recording stored as separate files- complicates issue. Statuate talks about general period of time. There is a case if separate victims - watching 2 people at one time that is 2 separate counts. Court can't determine separate occurrances of recording. Camera was shifted around - could have all been taken on same day. Cross exam of Det. Sanders - review 1 pg (pg 9 line 8 thru end of next pg).

So, the videotaping COULD have lasted a full day and night, and because it wasn't stopped, it should be only ONE count! It would be equal to one picture being taken at one moment.

Wowzers!

So, the videotaping COULD have lasted a full day and night, and because it wasn't stopped, it should be only ONE count! It would be equal to one picture being taken at one moment.

Wowzers!

inorite? Anything else they want with their lame argument? Fries? Supersize kick in the nuts? :jail:

Wowzers!

Why didn't they argue that at trial? The jury made their determination. It should stand, IMO!

:maddening:

Per Det. Sanders statement - it is possible that these photos were taken on same day (not same session). Know when victims lived there during what year but don't know when the pics were taken. State v. Root - re: exploitation of a minor, statuate based upon sessions of photography - got rid of 49 counts in that case.

Reporter on Kiro breaking in describing what I just transcribed re: double jeopardy. Could have recorded the girls in the morning and again that night. Icy-hot photos. Asking court to examine photos - due to Det. Sanders determine these were different photos. Most of photos could have been same session - specific items that are moveable items. Judge says there is a pillow in 2 photos, dog in one, pink sweater (judge doesn't have colored photos) - original are colored but hard to see colors. Look @ shapes of clothing - shape would have changed (ie: clothing) if taken on different days. She is standing up from toilet and getting into shower - all other items on pics are same - may very well be from same period. Defense argues same time period. asking court not to go out of their way to determine one crime from another crime.

(volume going in and out)

State Atty's saying video camera was never turned off - so multiple sessions. Atty's are stepping up to bar. Each video sequence was a separate video sequence per State. Judge says on clothes hamper with clothing with a crease in it. The victim is wearing a shirt with a print on the front. Both photos appear with same shirt and same pillows with same crease - banister 1/2 wall - clothing arranged - same clothing/pillow/dog. Victim wearing long sleeved dark shirt in pic 6, pic 7 look same dark arm - looked to be taken at same time according to Judge.

Judge is seated, SP is being brought into the court room wearing blue scrubs (looking outfit) with a pink tee shirt underneath. Defense advises numerous minor inacurracies . . . ones needing corrected: Grad from Eastern Wash. University 1989 in History, true work history - worked Virco - furniture factory sales rep - lost job 2006 due to downsizing. Worked for Dept. of Corrections 3/2006 until arrested doing same type of furniture work. Social history taken from daughter, Jennifer Graves who testified against him - no contact over 20 years - SP doesn't want that to be part of the record (Alaina just walked into the courtroom late and seated in back row).

Flurry of briefs and responses, double jeopardy, custody, sentencing others with similar convictions, statuate - pre June 2006 statuate - max 1 year on each of the charges - max 5 years top. Judge wants to know Mr. Quigly info on others who received sentences on similar charges.

Defense wants to get all the counts figured out. they want all but 2 thrown out on double jeopardy grounds.

I knew it! It was SP that I bought from. dang small world.

State says they do not keep copies of these photos @ their office as it is considered contraband. Exhibit 6 & 7 - could be making 2 separate trips to the bathroom. Judge asks if dog would be there in 2 separate trips to bathroom? State asks Judge to look @ photos and video presented at trial - look @ sequence.

8,9,10 and 11? - stuffed animal with dark ears sticking out - Judge looks @ clothing shaped like or a wreath. On bathtub ledge 2 short bottles and one tall bottle. @ #10- the wreath, 3 bottles, necklace on victim is same, #11 has papers, wreath, stuffed animal, water glass. could be a different on #11. Problem . . . could be separate after 8 & 10 but after the bath on #11. State says look @ videos and sequence and call Det. Sanders. Watched video tape during trial. periods of recording - had been saved out of order. Taking bath #1 and #2, rear window, open window, and back of house. Those labels were on the discs. Summaries on other folders were from officers describing. Whoever labeled discs . . . periods of recordings copied from other photos. take bath #1 had clips on take bath #2. Recording time, but they were recopied later - we cannot tell they were at different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998