NM NM - Edyth Warner, 35, & Nicolas Smith, 11, Las Cruces, 23 Feb 1991

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.ktsm.com/news/local/16610901.html

12 March 08

Dona Ana County Investigators were on all day search for Edyth Warner and her son, Nicolas Smith; after a tip suggested the pair, missing for 17-years, might be found in the area near “A” mountain.

The mother and son have been missing since February 23, 1991. That day they reportedly took a walk and never came back. For nearly 17-years there was no sign of what may have happened to them. 80-men on ATVs and on foot spent the day looking for them, a search that ended with no new clues. Warner’s 85 year-old father Randle Dewees has made many trips to Las Cruces and even hired private investigators. Dewees says he has already given up hope for a safe return.

In a different charley project case there was a story about a woman who would assist in hiding women in troubled/abusive relationships. I can't remember who the case file was for but it also included a picture of the person I am thinking of. I wonder if someone like that could be involved in hiding them. That's if someone close to them didn't kill them.

Headline - Resurrected Cold Case Turns Up Empty http://www.ktsm.com/news/local/16610901.html

Doesn't sound as if the recent search was successful - The husband (soon to have been an ex-) must have been a suspect in this case - or would that have been too obvious?

If the mom was in so much pain, with possible mobility issues, and needing meds, would she even have just wandered off with her son for a long walk?!

In a different charley project case there was a story about a woman who would assist in hiding women in troubled/abusive relationships. I can't remember who the case file was for but it also included a picture of the person I am thinking of. I wonder if someone like that could be involved in hiding them. That's if someone close to them didn't kill them.

You are thinking of Faye Yager.

I just have a hard time believing Edyth would choose to remain hidden forever and not even contact her parents or her little boy -- if she was scared for herself then a three-year-old would have been in even more danger -- or that Nicholas would have agreed to never contact his biological father again, since they apparently had a relationship.

Missing 19 years now. Prayers they are located and brought home soon.

Reward offered for info on mom, son missing since 1991

Sun-News report
Posted: 02/23/2011 11:41:44 PM MST

LAS CRUCES - Las Cruces Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of $2,000 for information that helps police solve the mysterious 1991 disappearance of a woman and her 11-year-old son.

more here

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_17468550

I know this may seem strange to suggest, but does anyone think it's possible that these two UID's may be Edyth and her son (even though the assumption is that they were a couple this could have been an incorrect assumption)?

https://identifyus.org/cases/5174

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5170

They have had no DNA samples analyzed so I guess it can't be ruled out that they're related and the wedding rings could be a ruse but I think the medical examiner would probably be able to tell the difference between a 20 to 30- year-old and an 11-year-old.
The male UID has three tattoos, a mustache and two upper wisdom teeth present which would be extremely unusual in an 11-year-old (I think, but I'm not a dentist.) According to Wikipedia the wisdom teeth usually appear at about 17-25 years of age. The autopsy should also be able to distinguish between the bones of an adult and the bones of a child that hadn't stopped growing yet when he died because of the epiphyseal plates.

Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: the estimated time of death is 1995 so Nicolas would have been four years older than when he disappeared, not 11. Still a bit unlikely imo but a mustache or a tattoo would not seem so out of place. Edyth would be four years older too which makes her about 39 in 1995 and the age estimate for Jane Doe is 18-30. Edyth had had back surgery but the Jane Doe description doesn't note signs of any surgery. Her height is off too. The medical examiner would have had to get a lot of things wrong at the same time.

They have had no DNA samples analyzed so I guess it can't be ruled out that they're related and the wedding rings could be a ruse but I think the medical examiner would probably be able to tell the difference between a 20 to 30- year-old and an 11-year-old.
The male UID has three tattoos, a mustache and two upper wisdom teeth present which would be extremely unusual in an 11-year-old (I think, but I'm not a dentist.) According to Wikipedia the wisdom teeth usually appear at about 17-25 years of age. The autopsy should also be able to distinguish between the bones of an adult and the bones of a child that hadn't stopped growing yet when he died because of the epiphyseal plates.

Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: the estimated time of death is 1995 so Nicolas would have been four years older than when he disappeared, not 11. Still a bit unlikely imo but a mustache or a tattoo would not seem so out of place. Edyth would be four years older too which makes her about 39 in 1995 and the age estimate for Jane Doe is 18-30. Edyth had had back surgery but the Jane Doe description doesn't note signs of any surgery. Her height is off too. The medical examiner would have had to get a lot of things wrong at the same time.

Excellent point, Donjeta. I knew it was a long shot I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Circumstances
Edyth disappeared on February 23, 1991 with her son, Nicholas Vincent Smith. They were living in University Park, the student housing section of New Mexico State University, at the time with Edyth's second husband, Henry Warner, and their young son Andrew. Edyth and Henry were having marital problems in early 1991 and Edyth told Henry she and Smith were going to be staying with a friend temporarily. Smith is Edyth's child from a previous marriage. Henry filed missing persons' reports for his wife and stepson on March 2, 1991, seven days after Edyth and Smith left their residence. Warner left behind her other son, Andrew, 3 years old at the time.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/657/90

bumping.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1075dfnm.html
EAWarner1.jpg
EAWarner2.jpg

EAWarner4.jpg
EAWarner5.jpg
EAWarner3.jpg

Edyth Ann Warner
Missing since February 23, 1991 from Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, New Mexico.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: December 19, 1955
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 35 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 145 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes. Occasionally wears eyeglasses.
    [*]AKA: Sis, Edyth Dewees, Tanya Dewees Warner, Tanya Dewees.

[h=1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/146dmnm.html
146DMNM - Nicholas Vincent Smith[/h]
NSmith.jpg
NVSmith1.jpg
NVSmith5.jpg

The images on the right have been age-progressed to 31 and 36 years.

Name: Nicholas Vincent Smith
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: February 23, 1991
Location Last Seen: Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, New Mexico

[h=2]Physical Description[/h] Date of Birth: July 11, 1979
Race: White
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 115 - 125 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Bumping for Nicholas and Edyth as we approach the 30th anniversary of their disappearance...

1075DFNM - Edyth Ann Warner​

Name: Edyth Ann Warner
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: February 23, 1991
Location Last Seen: Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, New Mexico.

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: December 19, 1955
Race: White
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 145 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Sis, Edyth Dewees, Tanya Dewees Warner, Tanya Dewees.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Occasionally wears eyeglasses.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Warner, an art student, disappeared with her son, Nicholas Vincent Smith from their Las Cruces, New Mexico residence on February 23, 1991. They were living in University Park, the student housing section of New Mexico State University, at the time with Edyth's second husband, Henry Warner, and their young son Andrew.

Her husband filed a missing persons report seven days later. He told police the couple had been having marital problems and that his wife told him she and Nicholas, her son from a previous marriage, were going to stay with a friend temporarily. They left their home by foot the day they disappeared. Warner left behind her car and 3-year-old son, Andrew.

According to family and friends this is very uncharacteristic of her. Neither has been seen or heard from again. There are concerns for their safety.

There has been no activity on their Social Security numbers, nor request for school records.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: New Mexico State University Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 505-646-3311
Agency E-Mail: police@nmsu.edu
Agency Case Number: M96-91

NCIC Case Number: M-478172993
NCMEC Case Number: NCMC760608

Information Source(s)​

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
NamUs
Las Cruces Sun

Nicholas SMITH
Missing Person - Juvenile
Date of Birth:07/11/1979
Date Missing:03/02/1991
Age Now:42
Sex:Male
Race:White
Hair Color:Brown
Eye Color:Hazel
Height:5 ft 01 in
Weight:115
Missing From:University Park, NM
Missing: 02/23/1991 ENDANGERED MISSING. Child and his mother Edyth Warner, disappeared from their residence on February 23, 1991. They have not been seen or heard from since. If you have any information, please call the National Center. 1-800-843-5678. Photo is Age Progressed to age 26.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back