LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video is not black n white. It is low saturation. The saturation settings are set to the lowest setting by default, and it is low light.

I have attached the original image and a desaturated image.

Is this the same image that is supposed to show a mangled bike and a body underneath it? because in this clear shot I see nothing of the sort. jmo

So I was probably the last one off the mountain tonight and the parking area was empty when I came down and I had to load my bike onto the car rack. I have a heavy bar that attaches from the seat post to the stem so it fits the rack and I was hooking the bar onto my bike.
These 2 poor guys come riding up to me in a black pick up truck. I am holding this crossbar in my hand and they very politely ask me for directions. This is a dead end street and people get lost up there all the time-I am forever giving directions.
But honestly I think I scared the carp out of these poor dudes I had that bar in my hand and said don't come any closer!I'll tell you how to get there just stay in your car and don't come near me.
Their eyes got big as saucers and they were like geez lady. I said sorry but don't come close. I mean there was no one around at all!

I gave them the info and they went on their way-but one of those guys would have ended up with that bar in the head if they had gotten out of the car. It was almost comical if it wasn't so sad.

sorry for this OT but this case does have me on the defensive.
Good thing to be on Offensive.

You and yours. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

after reading that thread on the kid ICE needed help identifying - I am debating whether or not I can let my children ride their bikes in our neighborhood, which is a small new circle neighborhood without cross streets. seriously, there is a BIG problem with predators these days. jeesh, i was afraid to let my son go on a fishing trip with the neighbor and his kid. i did, but i had to give him a talk before. we've already had the talk about the no no zones etc., but i had to remind him. and there is NOTHING strange about my neighbor. he's a nice normal guy, but we live in a sick sick sick world. i HATE being a nervous nellie mom and it's not in my nature to be one, but I'm started to change my ways, ya know.

That kid has me on my knees. He looks like one of my boys when he was younger, and I am praying, praying, praying that he is found and set free.

kgeaux, good point about leaving evidence behind if you are taken. i've been thinking that all week - like Hansel and Gretel with the bread crumbs or whatever they left behind. I'm going to fill my kids in on this soon. I guess you could tear pieces of your clothing off etc. Did your self defense class give you examples of what to leave behind. All I can think of is torn clothing and pulling out some of your hair, but it seems like that wouldn't be easy to find.

Here is what I remember: scratch the perp, now you have skin cells under your fingernails. Try to hurt him, gouge his eyes out, now there is blood evidence. Rib at HIS clothes. Pull HIS hair. What you want is to #1, NEVER LEAVE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO ABDUCT YOU. I was told to remind yourself and BELIEVE that whatever happens to you right here, right now, is not nearly as bad as what will happen if perp gets you in a secluded place. The goal is to stand your ground right here, right now. Some perps will leave if you refuse to leave with them, some may not. But if they DON'T LEAVE:

Fight for your life. Do not be embarrassed, do not hesitate. (You know, the old "what if I scream like a banshee and this guy is really just a youth pastor trying to save my soul" second guessing.) If you feel like something is wrong, ACT like something is wrong. FIGHT DIRTY. Pull hair, kick gonads, gouge eyes, use your body and anything you have on you as a weapon. Scream like your life depends upon it. ATTRACT ATTENTION This is something that can be hard to do, especially if you are a Southern woman.If-on the off chance-it really is just a youth pastor trying to save your soul, then you can apologize later.

I made sure my sons all took self defense classes. Hopefully it will help if they ever need to use self defense, and on a purely selfish note, if it doesn't help, at least I know I did everything I could....

The amount of time wasted on the rather incredible theory that the Police released a picture of either her or her bicycle under the very truck they are looking for and then purposefully withheld stating that she is indeed under the truck for some mysterious reason boggles a sane mind.
OK lets be nice. Regardless of anyone's opinion on this issue or any other issue to infer insanity or anything else is just wrong!
I agree it is a far out theory, I do not agree that anyone that supports it is any less sane or brilliant than the whole lot of us.:D

There has been this undertow from both sides of the issue that if you think this or don't think that then you are lacking common sense or something else unflattering-let's not do that.

I am not picking on you! I am sorry to single you out and that is not my intent, many people have done this and this is just your lucky day! :)
-I am just borrowing your post and consequently I owe you a free pass in the future. Thanks for being a good sport, I really appreciate it.

So I was probably the last one off the mountain tonight and the parking area was empty when I came down and I had to load my bike onto the car rack. I have a heavy bar that attaches from the seat post to the stem so it fits the rack and I was hooking the bar onto my bike.
These 2 poor guys come riding up to me in a black pick up truck. I am holding this crossbar in my hand and they very politely ask me for directions. This is a dead end street and people get lost up there all the time-I am forever giving directions.
But honestly I think I scared the carp out of these poor dudes I had that bar in my hand and said don't come any closer!I'll tell you how to get there just stay in your car and don't come near me.
Their eyes got big as saucers and they were like geez lady. I said sorry but don't come close. I mean there was no one around at all!

I gave them the info and they went on their way-but one of those guys would have ended up with that bar in the head if they had gotten out of the car. It was almost comical if it wasn't so sad.

You did good, JBean! Real good!

All I can see in the photo of Mickie on her bike is that you never know when you will see someone for the last time. Apparently, anyone can vanish, at any time.

I know. That is truly terrifying, isn't it?

#1, I have heard a Z71, in fact I've heard lots and lots of them. They are not any louder than any other truck, IMO. I live in Lafayette, my husband works for an oil company, my daddy owns an oil company, and I've heard a LOT of trucks. I have owned Z71s and right now there are three right near my house, on my street. I know you have commented on how loud the Z71 is before, and I've always wondered if you were listening to a diesel.

#2. I do not believe Mickey is stopped. Her posture suggests that she is moving right along.

#3. I also do not see the driver in the released still.

#4. I see no indication that the truck is stopped or parked, or even backing up.

#5. The Z71 did in fact turn from University onto St. Landry. The earlier truck which was ruled out was seen following Mickey.

#6. I don't think Wodalo has any insight into what happened to Mickey at all. He is not local, and not a verified expert in enhancing photos. I totally and completely treat anything he had to say as "opinion."

#7. I do believe that whatever happened to Mickey was indeed a product of malicious intent. However, I do NOT see Mickey anywhere near the Z71 in the released still.

BBM

Maybe I missed something but no where in the press release from LE did it say the Z71 turned from University onto St. Landry. Also, the Z71 traveled in the same direction as Mickey on St. Landry, per LE. So now I'm totally confused about the WT's.

"The second truck (Picture2) is a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. "

http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

My only comment about the DWTIQ pic and the Mickey on bike pic is that I have seen all these pics, as most of you have, for many threads now. I was always pretty good at those 'magic eye' pictures that you saw in every mall several years ago, but I just DON'T see anything resembling Mickey and/or her bike under the truck, and showing it to me every few threads and telling me to look harder just isn't cutting it for me. I see what I see and you see what you see. I'm good with that. But please don't bring it back around in a couple days and implore me to look again....we all know where the pics can be found if we want to examine them further, and we can direct newbies to them...we dont need to see them pop up here every couple days...JMO

My only comment about the DWTIQ pic and the Mickey on bike pic is that I have seen all these pics, as most of you have, for many threads now. I was always pretty good at those 'magic eye' pictures that you saw in every mall several years ago, but I just DON'T see anything resembling Mickey and/or her bike under the truck, and showing it to me every few threads and telling me to look harder just isn't cutting it for me. I see what I see and you see what you see. I'm good with that. But please don't bring it back around in a couple days and implore me to look again....we all know where the pics can be found if we want to examine them further, and we can direct newbies to them...we dont need to see them pop up here every couple days...JMO

Ditto.
Well said.

And the fact that, IMO, it is highly unlikely Mickey would have circled all the way around and backtracked. I understand how that is what would make the physics of it work but again, there we start creating facts to fit a theory instead of finding the theory that fits the facts. JMO

Right. I'm not of that opinion, but rather offered it up as a possible explanation of how MS might have been hit and thrown to the ground at roadside, as some here are asserting had happened.

My opinion, based on many things, is that MS made it further down St. Landry (at the very least) than the LCG parking lot..

I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster, but I want to comment on something about the DWT before I fall asleep. If the camera that took the pic of Mickey and the DWT is continuous video, I find the choice of still LE used to ask the public for help in finding it interesting. Why show us a picture of a truck partially obscured by the roadway sign? You can see, based on the pic of Mickey, that in a second or two, the DWT would have been fully visible to the camera and we could have seen much more clearly what is above the rear passenger wheel well. Did they choose this image because they could not show us what happened just before and just after it? Again, this is all based on the camera shooting continuous video.

Personally, I don't think Mickey is under the truck, but I think it's possible the bike is. The scenario I see this happening is the DWT is in front of her. For whatever reason, the truck starts backing up, quickly, not realizing there is a bicyclist behind it. Mickey jumps off her bike leaving it lying in the street. The DWT backs over it.

~~
Oh, I agree. If anyone ever tried to take me one of us would die right there on the spot. ;)

I understand completely. I'm a do what I gotta do get er done any means necessary type of chick. I've discussed this case with family and friends and they've all said jokingly, oh no they'd drop you right back off in fifteen minutes tops......and to me I can't take it as a joke because I'd imagine they'd only kill me quicker an more violently out of annoyance. "Like for God's sake shuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuup"kind of fashion.

I do not think that forcing them to kill you right then and there is any safer as far as chances of leaving behind plenty of evidence or anything because once you are dead or contained or bound and gagged ......there's not much you can do. And thy can clean up and pick up and put you in any of the most well hidden places.

Now with all that said, I've had a little chat with the kids and explained to them about stranger danger and etc. And they've asked me questions like "momma, why do people even want to kidnap kids?" And I answered them......and told them its not just kids and its mostly women.....and they asked "why?" So I didn't lie. Lying or candy coating it would in my opinion put them at risk of having false sense of safety. Some people question my parenting style because my kids are younger than 10 and I'm fills mg their heads with all this graphic info.......I'm accused of "robbing them o their childhood" I disagree. I think allowing them to be poorly informed or naive I put them at greater risk of some sick person robbing them of their childhood and far more......

College professor said something in sociology class about:
TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT SEX AND VALUES AND EVERYTHING THEY REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHILE THEY ARE WAY TOO YOUNG TO COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND.....ONCE THEY GET OLDER, THEY'RE NOT LISTENING OR CARING WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.....

AND IT IS TRUE, BY THE TIME THEY'RE 13 OR 14, THEYVE ALREADY TUNED THEIR PARENTS OUT ........BY THE TIME THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND ITS WAY TOO LATE.....

all in all Imo I think is is ever increasingly more and more important that parents take it upon themselves to take the responsibility to inform their CHILDREN of the evil ways of the world BEFORE they become ADULTS WITH A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.

MOO

I followed some hostile posts related to Mickey Shunick on a social networking site in late May. I followed that trail where ever it went. There were pictures. (see attachment) Other pictures from this series included a white GMC 1500, a local restaurant, some ppl doin stuff. It seemed pretty meaningless to have the images outside the context of the social scene it came from. I can't help but include a weapon like this as a possible way to get a person off a bike. It's been on my mind this whole time.

What kind of weapon is that? I know nothing about weapons...

I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster, but I want to comment on something about the DWT before I fall asleep. If the camera that took the pic of Mickey and the DWT is continuous video, I find the choice of still LE used to ask the public for help in finding it interesting. Why show us a picture of a truck partially obscured by the roadway sign? You can see, based on the pic of Mickey, that in a second or two, the DWT would have been fully visible to the camera and we could have seen much more clearly what is above the rear passenger wheel well. Did they choose this image because they could not show us what happened just before and just after it? Again, this is all based on the camera shooting continuous video.

Personally, I don't think Mickey is under the truck, but I think it's possible the bike is. The scenario I see this happening is the DWT is in front of her. For whatever reason, the truck starts backing up, quickly, not realizing there is a bicyclist behind it. Mickey jumps off her bike leaving it lying in the street. The DWT backs over it.
But then why wouldnt Mickey still be in the pic, standing nearby?

kgeaux, good point about leaving evidence behind if you are taken. i've been thinking that all week - like Hansel and Gretel with the bread crumbs or whatever they left behind. I'm going to fill my kids in on this soon. I guess you could tear pieces of your clothing off etc. Did your self defense class give you examples of what to leave behind. All I can think of is torn clothing and pulling out some of your hair, but it seems like that wouldn't be easy to find.

IMO I think it is a good idea for EVERYONE to talk to their kids....

It's a pistol grip shotgun.

Shotgun. I am clueless, didn't even think it was a gun.
I wondered how that odd looking thing was a weapon that could be used to get a girl off her bike. A shotgun would do that. Why did the poster think of a pistol grip shot gun? There are lots of different kinds of guns so why that specific gun?

All I see in the area circled in red is a Darth Vader helmet. Has that been ruled out, lol? But, seriously, what do others say they are seeing here?
You're doing better than I am ... I can't even see a Darth Vader Helmet :waitasec:.

so scary. you see though, i am disappointed in myself because time and time again i find myself in similarish situations and I'm thinking in my head "this could be dangerous - no one is around, etc." but then I go all nice and think that I have to be nice. None of these situations ever turned out to be dangerous for me - the other people or person were good and didn't try to harm or take me, but you just never know. But I still always give the benefit of the doubt all the while thinking I shouldn't be. it's strange. i'm so mad at myself afterwards for being so soft. it's like an outer body experience

Believe it or not, there ARE ways to tell what color something was in a black and white photo. Ah, the magic of PhotoShop -- such a genius of a program. This is the way it is done: If I have a black and white photo and I want to emphasize the green grass, I simply turn up the green. It will not appear green in the photo -- but it will appear a deeper gray, etc. If I want to emphasize blue in a black and white photo, same procedure. PhotoShop truly is a genius at a thousand things. I highly suggest those who are interested at all in photography to invest your time in learning PS. It has a very steep learning curve, is expensive -- but it does things that are smarter than rocket science. Truly it does. So - -I happen to know the answer to this question -- you can most of the time tell what color something was in a black and white photo -- IF PhotoShop recognizes the color that is -- which it does pretty accurately most of the time. You're welcome.

Thanks for the info. Call me a slow learner though, but are YOU turning up the green or blue or whatever color? Because that sounds like the user is selecting what colors to turn things up on. My question, I guess, is this....if I give you a black and white picture of myself in a shirt and I don't tell you what color that shirt is, would you be able to use Photoshop to tell me what color my shirt is? Thanks for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth