GUILTY MI - Carnel Chamberlain, 4, Mount Pleasant, 21 June 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following several cases on WS, but haven't posted in quite a while. This is just so sad. Any death of a child is sad, but to be murdered, it's unspeakable.

I think AB did it because Carnel told on him. He told his Mom that the guy was being mean to him. She saw the bruises and confronted him. He was angry and so decided to get rid of "his problem".

There are other little ones missing out there and I wonder if anybody has looked under the porches? Lisa Irwin in particular comes to mind. I know dogs have been used, but I do believe that sometimes dogs, like humans, miss things.

I'm not certain that it was a motive/intent scenario. This guy was a loose cannon; rage and lack of impulse control seem more to cause for Carnel's death than a 'payback'. IMHO

Wednesday of this week? or last week?

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=771273#.T-6C6Yd5t0F

Anthony Gardner, a contractor says, "On Wednesday we heard a lot ofarguing. I didn't think much of it; I wish I would have now."

He says other crew members smelled something burning last Thursday. They said it smelled different, like flesh. They have been interviewed by investigators several times.

To me it sounds like Wednesday before Carnel disappeared.

I completely agree with you.
She did make a mistake, there is no denying that...but it is not completely her fault in my eyes. She just happened to be put in a ****** situation with a monster of a man. Though she should have been clued in by his face tattoo--she is just young. Young girls are SO dumb when it comes to men. Some are just a little more dumb than others. Look at her first choice, Carnel's dad. He is in prison. She probably thought face tattoo was a step up. Regardless of her bad choice in boyfriends, she did nothing wrong. This guy was a PSYCHO, he would have ended up killing someone someday, it just breaks my heart it was this beautiful boy...I have a friend who used to hang out with AB. Apparently he strangled kittens and puppys just for the hell of it. Jaimee hasn't said anything to me personally but I wouldn't be surprised if he were hitting her too...This is all just a horrible situation. And vasportsmom: I never had the pleasure to meet Carnel, but from what his mom said about him...he was just perfect...

I'm finding that there is a dv shelter on the rez, Angie Makomenaw was one of the people instrumental in the program there. We don't know, nor should we know if Jaimee was there, it is a confidential matter. For Carnel it is now a moot point. If he was in pre-school or Head Start why was there no mandatory reporting of the ongoing abuse? This death is tragic and shows the importance of the Tribal provisions of VAWA.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...men-warriors-lobby-for-pro-tribal-vawa-120933

JusticeforCarnel, please offer my condolences to Jaimee, as one Indian woman/mother to another, on the loss of her child.

http://www.abc12togo.com/autojuice?...oun-speaks-out-after-hearing-about-carnel-cha

Rick Calhoun speaks out after hearing about Carnel Chamberlain Story posted 2012.06.30 at 12:25 AM EDT

(06/29/12) Although we still have a lot to learn about the details surrounding the Carnel Chamberlain case it brings back heart breakingmemoriesforthe family ofDominick Calhoun.

The 4 year old Genesee County boy was beaten and tortured to death in November 2010.

Calhoun's mother and her ex-boyfriend are both serving prison terms for their roles in his murder.

Friday night we talked to Rick Calhounwhois Dominick'sgrandfather.

Rick Calhoun says children like Carnel Chamberlain is the reason he fought for tougher penalties for child abusers.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/central_mich/could-mom-have-prevented-sons-death

Could mom have prevented son's death? Mom's boyfriend had history of abusing Carnel, 4

Updated: Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 6:29 PM EDT Published : Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 6:05 PM EDT GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The man behind bars for assaulting the 4-year-old boy whose burned body was found under the porch of his home on a mid-Michigan reservation is being labeled a "person of interest".

Anthony Bennett had a disturbing past of abuse against Carnel Chamberlain, which he told Carnel's mother, Jamiee, about on numerous occasions, according to police reports.

more at link, dv info, etc. I hesitated to post this article due to the subject matter. Please remove if its a problem.

Violet Green, who used to live with Bennett, told 24 Hour News 8 as soon as she heard about Carnel, she feared the worst.

She's known Bennett for five years. He lived with her while he was dating her granddaughter. She believes he's responsible for Carnel's death.

"We slowly found out he (Bennett) wasn't a good person," she said. "It breaks my heart that somebody could do something to a child like that. Who sets somebody on fire? I want to know, did that boy suffer? Did he set him on fire alive, or did he beat him first and then set him on fire?"

Bennett, she said, was in and out of jail for much of his life. She finally kicked him out of her home when she saw his violent side first-hand.

"When he left, he took (my granddaughter's) dog and that when he kill her dog and set it on fire."

Bennett's criminal history dates back nearly a decade. Among other things, there was a restraining order against him for allegedly assaulting an ex-girlfriend and threatening to kill her father.

Months later, he tried to escape from a police officer who was trying to arrest him for drunk driving. And when Bennett was 15, he told another youth he had stabbed his sister and was going to stab that youth, too.

24 Hour News 8 requested documents from the tribal court about Bennett's criminal past on the reservation, but it was denied "for the protection of the community."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/loca...nnett-carnel-chamberlain-fed-complaint-062912

ETA - Also information about Bennett's Attorney at link.

Above in red by me! ..my God this monster did this same thing to his eex girlfriends dog.. what he's done to precious Carnel!!

ya know...i get the frustration with this mom. really, i do.

but imo, it's disturbing to see so many pile on with the accusations regarding ''stupid'' women, ''reckless'' women, the terrible mothers who don't protect their children etc.....without seeing anyone, once, get to the heart of the matter, here.

the heart of the matter in what i agree seems to be an epidemic of children dying at the hands of the SO of their mothers is this: what kind of a society have we become when so many of our young women lack the slightest bit of self-worth? where and why and how did so many daughters grow up to believe that they were a failure without a man, and that any man would do? why? why?

while this is not the case all the time, i believe this mother loved her child and had she understood what sort of devil she was sleeping with, she never would have done so. i heard that her brother introduced the two of them. likely, she trusted him even more because of this. when she claimed "he said he loved me,'' personally, my heart broke more for this young woman. because the truth is, i would bet all of you that she absolutely believed it. yes, it clouded her judgment. yes, it cost her her beautiful son.

i don't think any criminal charge is warranted, nor do i think it would help. she has lost her child. now, what i want to know is....who is going to teach this young woman that real love doesn't leave bruises on child or mother, real love doesn't invoke fear, and that she deserves better than a monster who merely poses as a man from time to time.

i wonder what her relationship with her father was like.

poor carnell. his eyes are haunting. my heart breaks.

but imo, it's disturbing to see so many pile on with the accusations regarding ''stupid'' women, ''reckless'' women, the terrible mothers who don't protect their children etc.....without seeing anyone, once, get to the heart of the matter, here.

the heart of the matter in what i agree seems to be an epidemic of children dying at the hands of the SO of their mothers is this: what kind of a society have we become when so many of our young women lack the slightest bit of self-worth? where and why and how did so many daughters grow up to believe that they were a failure without a man, and that any man would do? why? why?

while this is not the case all the time, i believe this mother loved her child and had she understood what sort of devil she was sleeping with, she never would have done so. i heard that her brother introduced the two of them. likely, she trusted him even more because of this. when she claimed "he said he loved me,'' personally, my heart broke more for this young woman. because the truth is, i would bet all of you that she absolutely believed it. yes, it clouded her judgment. yes, it cost her her beautiful son.

i don't think any criminal charge is warranted, nor do i think it would help. she has lost her child. now, what i want to know is....who is going to teach this young woman that real love doesn't leave bruises on child or mother, real love doesn't invoke fear, and that she deserves better than a monster who merely poses as a man from time to time.

:goodpost:

I agree 1000% with your post.

IMO, if I hadn't known of the previous abuse and what this monster did to little Carnel previous to his murder, I would feel differently about the mom. She knew about the abuse and did nothing and that is what makes me very angry. No child should be sacrificed for "love".

Reading here, it sounds like she had/has a lot of family and friend support and that's why I don't understand why she allowed this monster to continue living in her house. Would you allow a babysitter to continue to babysit your child if you witnessed your child being physically and mentally abused?

I just don't get it. How desperate does a woman have to be for "love"? Yes, she's a young single mom but that's no excuse, imo.

Above in red by me! ..my God this monster did this same thing to his eex girlfriends dog.. what he's done to precious Carnel!!

Jaimee I pray you get help to rise above and beyond what you've been involved in. Your son is gone but you may live to have more children someday. Please please please don't allow yourself to fall into this kind of lifestyle again. Get enrolled in school and set your sights on something higher. Have a vision of a normal family absent of abuse. You are better than this!

I believe it was just learned on NG last night that Carnel was outside alone! in a yard with a POOL! The 'mom' didn't say or act like that wasn't "allowed" so I'm gonna assume it was? NG may have made a comment like "there's a POOL"? but never asked that important Q..She did, however, make a disgusted looking face as if she also assumed? it was..That alone shows what kind of 'protection' this poor child did NOT have by the 'adults' around him!

The great-aunt reported she took JC in as a "foster child" when she was 8 yrs old..She admits in an interview she only saw this child a "few xs" even tho she lives right next door to JC..That reeks of some type of 'estrangement' between these 2 does it not to you?

That 'grandmother' said this "killed & burned" her granddaughter's dog..It seems they did nothing about it but we don't know that for sure..IF they had he would've been charged with a CRIME (cruelty to animals) & I didn't see that any place..I don't know what the punishment is for that but with his lengthy history it's possible he was on 'probation' at that time=jail time? None of this helps that poor innocent child now & I seriously doubt his 'mom' (had she known about it) would even care! :banghead:

I will NEVER get any of this..No matter how many xs it happens, which lately is far too often :(

This is an absolutely wonderful post.. and I truly understand what you are saying and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for reminding a lot of folks about this, including my own self.

I do have something to add. What you say and what you remind of us is absolutely true.. and it is the reason why we all need to have compassion and empathy with this young woman for her heartbreak and the bad choices she has made, which in all honesty.. I had made as well in my past.

However,

Empathy and compassion for her.. does not give her a free pass for her actions. She did not just see this child bruised slightly and couldn't pinpoint exactly how it happened and know for sure it was her boyfriend. She SEEN it.. she WITNESSED it. Not once.. not twice.. but several times.

I can completely understand how you rationalize things to yourself and how you can be taken in by the monster who promises you it will never happen again because he loves you and is trying to straighten up his life. I DO get it.. he**.. I have lived it also and made the same choices she has. The issue here is not that we cannot understand her choices and feel her pain with her.. but rather that she DID put this child in danger and continued to do so and as such, she should be charged. She did wrong and she knows she did wrong. She needs to learn that those type of choices end NOW. She needs (within herself as well) .. to pay for the horrible decisions she made so that she will never ever make them again.

IMO,,, THAT is how people learn..by understanding and being shown, that in life .. good people can sometimes do very bad things. Showing our young people, our own children, showing society.. that there are consequences to every action, does not have to be done with anger and blame.. but should be done with compassion and sorrow.. for their own good and the good of others. Its called tuff love and it WORKS.

IMO. She should be charged with SOMETHING at least. Do I think she should be tossed into prison for years? NO. Do I think she should be charged with something that holds her accountable for the choices she made at the expense of her beautiful son, so that she can hopefully learn to be strong and and break this damn cycle of abuse? YES. A resounding heartfelt, compassionate, caring and loving .. YES.

Pat (who but for the grace of god.. could have lost her own child at the hands of someone she"loved")

I'd like to bring up the fact that she herself may have been being abused by this man. There are many forms of abuse and just because she wasn't covered in bruises doesn't mean she's not hurting too. I've heard mention of a domestic violence shelter but if you look at his behavior how do you think he would have reacted if she broke up with him?

I'm not excusing her or justifying, I'm just saying there could be far more than we'll ever know because we weren't there.

Horrific!

Bennett was charged in federal court Friday after the boy's mother told FBI agents that Bennett assaulted the boy three times in the weeks before he was reported missing, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed Friday. Bennett is jailed pending a detention hearing next week.

The affidavit did not say whether Carnel's mother, Jaimee Chamberlain, reported the alleged abuse to authorities. According to the affidavit, Chamberlain came home from work in late May or early June and Bennett, who lived with her, asked her to sit down. He asked her to tell him that she loved him, the affidavit said.

Chamberlain then entered a bedroom and saw her son on a bed with a bruised and swollen face and a cut on the inside of his lip, documents state. A few days later, the mother observed a 6- to 8-inch bruise along the boy's ribcage.

Bennett told Chamberlain he had backhanded Carnel, but the boy told his mother that Bennett had punched him, the affidavit said. It took place in the family's home on the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe reservation.

A few days after that, another assault took place, the affidavit said, and this time, Chamberlain witnessed it. She told authorities Bennett picked Carnel up by his neck, dropped him and then dragged him by his right foot to his bedroom, which bruised his buttocks, according to the affidavit.

http://www.freep.com/article/201206...alty-in-killing-of-4-year-old-Mt-Pleasant-boy

As u can see from my 'thanks' I'm very torn about JC..I do feel strongly tho that she's guilty (without a doubt) of "child neglect"..The reasons for it can be explained (but still makes me SICK!) and none of it does or ever will excuse her role in her son's abuse & ultimate death..I hope this makes sense to some others.

An article about how/why AB could face the death penalty.

http://www.freep.com/article/201206...ewa-Indian-Tribe-Mt-Pleasant?odyssey=nav|head

I hope I'm doing this right... sorry if how I'm posting is wrong. Still a bit new.

You did it right & welcome to WS :)

One indication that prosecutors may seek the death penalty: the lawyer assigned to the case is Anthony Chambers, a prominent local defense attorney who has handled more than handful of federal death penalty cases in the last 20 years.

Chambers, who was assigned to the case today, declined comment. He said he has to review the evidence and meet with the client.

ubm

Is this getting the BEST atty possible for FREE? It looks that way & that's just WRONG! I don't care what 'rights' a perp has it just IS! :banghead:

eta..From same link: there's a pix (that can be enlarged) of JC at the vigil..She looks really young here..Just an observation, nothing more!

I have trouble differentiating between a mother or father committing abuse against their child - any form of abuse - and that mother or father watching another person commit abuse against their child.

I don't see the difference when the parent chooses to take no action and allow it to happen again and again, to the point the child is hospitalized or is deceased. They could stop it the first time, couldn't they? That would be a choice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow