LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
It occurs to me that now the fact that there was a DWI checkpoint going on becomes part of the defense strategy.

I didn't get the chance to log on here until quite late in the evening, Aus time yesterday. And after reading every single new post I just didn't have any words. I was numb. And sad. I suppose like many I just kept HOPING there might be the slightest chance we would see Mickey come home alive. She was all I could think about today, going through my day in a daze. I really hope the reward money can be used to honour Mickey's life, in whichever way her family wishes to. She has touched more lives than she will ever know. Sleep peacefully, Angel.

The truck was found burning under a Texas overpass right? He could have flagged someone down "hey man my truck broke down and is smoking, can I catch a ride?" or he could have had someone with him waiting to haul arse out of there as soon as the flames started. I can't imagine BSL flagging down a ride beside a burning truck but he's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Trying to find the TX news article saying where the truck was found..

ETA:: I also remember seeing where the burned truck had been stripped. Anyone else seeing the articles?

To me, just driving the truck to Texas showed a level of planning. Also, he had a long drive to think about what he was doing. If the GPS burned up with the truck, it would cover his tracks better, just my way of thinking. On the other hand, the GPS unit being missing could be explained by a thief stripping the truck...
Which leads me to his problem: a burned "stolen" truck is more believable if it has been stripped - rims, etc.

Unless he had an accomplice - which opens up a can of worms - how would he make the truck look stripped? And how did he get from where the truck was found back home?

Did he walk back out to the road and hitchhike? Hitchhiking to me seems like about the only way to do it..... unless he took a bike to Texas and used it to get away from where the truck was found. Just brainstorming here....

Wasnt he working in texas when the truck was burnt!
I thought i read he was correct me if im wrong!

I think im following too many cases!
Thats very sad when ya come to think about it!

LE said in the presser yesterday that they were not going to release the information on how he got back to Louisiana from Texas, which means they know how he did. Since there hasn't been another arrest, I assume it was probably just an acquaintance from work who was oblivious to the situation (other than possibly being told the 'my truck got stolen' story).

The truck was found burning under a Texas overpass right? He could have flagged someone down "hey man my truck broke down and is smoking, can I catch a ride?" or he could have had someone with him waiting to haul arse out of there as soon as the flames started. I can't imagine BSL flagging down a ride beside a burning truck but he's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Trying to find the TX news article saying where the truck was found..

ETA:: I also remember seeing where the burned truck had been stripped. Anyone else seeing the articles?

If anyone can pinpoint the location of the burned truck, that would be very helpful.

Gotta go do some work.... BBL

It's bothering me that he would have to get from where the truck was burned back to civilization to get on a bus.... unless he had a partner. Cpl. Mouton's words on the DNA yesterday in the radio interview were interesting. He said that they had a LOT of work left to do - he specifically mentioned DNA that they had but still had to match it to someone. Reading between the lines.... maybe they found some DNA that was not in a database - possibly an accomplice.

I would suggest that heading to "Somewhere" in Texas was not random and if he had an accomplice (which I think would be someone to help him after the fact, not during the abduction) it would probably be a female. The reason I say this is that he is okay-looking, had a relatively good job and was conflicted in his problems with women. I would think in his situation he would call on a former girlfriend or female relative to help him sort out what happened (created a convincing cover story to elicit sympathy of course) and then that female assisted him in covering his tracks, burning the truck, getting another oe that looked like it, etc. The whole covering up part just sounds like a plan between two adults. Also, the destination location is going to be a destination he has traveled many times and knows to be a lot of desolate roads (which, believe me, it is a spooky highway at night...those roads from Church Point to Montgomery County. Nothing but deep pine trees on the right and an elevated train track on the left. Pitch black. And when the train rumbles by on your left it is even spookier).

Correct. he's saying it happened past the hospital, whose property begins at St. Landry and St. Mary.

Yep, and ever since seeing Mickey on camera by the Circle K, I have felt pretty sure it happened between the hospital and the fields by the coliseum/St.Landry extension/Coliseum Rd. I went out there a few weeks agp and put one of Mickey's missing signs out there and saw no one around - and it was mid-day with summer school in session. No one would have heard/seen a thing at 2am.

Police believe he quickly dumped the vehicle, days after those pictures were released. Deputies in San Jacinto Texas say they found a truck in their county, on May 31, burned. But Lafayette police didn't get the tip until the middle of June.

San Jacinto is approximately an hour's drive north from Houston. Lavergne's truck was found burned only days after Lafayette police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest. But it wasn't until June 14th, when an unknown caller phoned the tip line, relaying the information about the burned truck in Texas. The truck was Lavergne's, and he actually called deputies in Montgomery County Texas to report it missing.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Bolded by me. But look on over into SE Texas, and there are a LOT of missing women & unsolved murders of women. And there are some in Louisiana I'd like him checked out in just in case, since apparently he got around for work: Vicky Perez, missing from Alexandria in March of 2011- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=601; Dorothy Rosier, missing from Pineville in 2010- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=584, and Shema Stevens, missing from Shreveport since 2010- http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=620. And there's at least one young, pretty girl missing from the Algiers Point area of New Orleans, close to Gretna, where his secondary work address is- Leslie Morgan- Leslie Morgan, 27, Missing Since 9/26/10, New Orleans, LA - Help Find The Missing.

I don't think BSL necessarily has a type other than female and potentially vulnerable (asleep in their beds, riding their bikes, alone late at night, etc) and perhaps smaller than him.
I hope he's being checked in relation to all of these, as well as endangered runaways from south Louisiana, who for all we know, hitchiked and he gave them a ride...

I don't necessarily think this was his first time doing something like this. He just picked a girl who unbeknowst to him, would garner a LOT more attention that other cases often get and more community involvement.

I agree. I'm sure there are others missing or rape victims that get little attention over a broad area. :maddening:

BSL disposed of the truck in San Jacinto county, and reported it stolen in Montgomery county. I'm thinking that he probably tried to report it stolen to his insurance company in order to get a loaner car issued so he could get back home. Insurance companies won't take any action on stolen property until you've filed a police report. Otherwise, I'm not sure he would have involved LE at all at that point. He was probably sweating it out for a few days wondering if LE was going to make a connection.
MOO

Does anyone know what date he said the truck was stolen?

I am wondering how many of you listened to the 15-minute radio interview with Cpl. Paul Mouton on KPEL yesterday at 5:45p - at the height of the electrical storm?

I found it intriguing - wish I had taken notes. One thing that really stood out to me - and the reporter didn't follow up on - was that in describing how they settled on Lavergne, Mouton said something about how they already had Lavergne's license plate and so when the info from the dealership came in, it helped tie him in. It gave me the impression that they already had the plate from one of the videos.

But he said it so fast.... and lightning was crashing around my car - that I can't quite pinpoint the context. Did anyone else hear the interview?!?!? Mouton was saying that having the plate beforehand helped them ID Lavergne later.

Also, Mouton explained how once Lavergne was identified, LE sat on him for awhile - and then when he went to go back on- or off-shore on Thurs., another LE agency called LPD and told them that Lavergne was on the move. And so they were on the lookout for him, and saw him on I-49. He said that the traffic stop was initiated/authorized due to some problem with his RSO status that allowed a pull-over.

Did anyone catch what the problem with the RSO status was? Was it failure to register the new truck?

Forgive me if it's been discussed last night, but I'm not sure many of you caught the radio interview, and it was a good one.

Catching up this morning. Hope someone was able to find a web broadcast of it.

That doesn't surprise me at all. In one of te images I enlarged I can see letters on the license plate but cannot make out what they are.

It's bothering me that he would have to get from where the truck was burned back to civilization to get on a bus.... unless he had a partner. Cpl. Mouton's words on the DNA yesterday in the radio interview were interesting. He said that they had a LOT of work left to do - he specifically mentioned DNA that they had but still had to match it to someone. Reading between the lines.... maybe they found some DNA that was not in a database - possibly an accomplice.

So either someone followed him to Texas to burn the truck and give him a lift back or he knew someone in Texas who met him somewhere, then that person followed him to the burn site and gave him a lift back (and that person was probably in Montgomery County or an adjoining county) or he burns the truck and calls someone he knew was relatvely close by the scene of the burned truck to come and give him a lift. I do not think he was astute enough to burn the truck and walk somewhere and then call someone. I think he had that part preplanned. He burned the truck and then walked a short distance where someone picked him up. The cell phones will show who he called and when they showed up. That is probably all the invesetigation that neds to be done. Yep, I bet there was an accomplice as far as covering up the truck burning. And I bet it is a female who fell for his story. He probably told her he was drinking, yada yada yada. He served a while in prison. I would check his prison visitation logs.

What's interesting is an anonymous tipster reported the connection between the truck and Mickey. That leads me to believe that he told someone that he got rid of his truck in Texas.

:gthanks:

Finally caught up on reading. A big THANK YOU to all who have contributed ideas, links, pics, maps, details and theories here at WS. THANK YOU to Mods who have provided excellent coaching and kept things in-line.

In reflecting on posts of the past weeks, it is clear that here at WS so many of the things we have recently learned were discussed. Posters were on top of things even though they were not verified at the time. WS is an excellent resource. Thanks everyone. Prayers there will soon be answers on the location of MS and prayers for her family & friends as they deal with things.

I think it's interesting that he is an auto body repair person. He could have really made himself a cruise mobile with all the right modifications for abductions.

i heard that too, I was wondering WHERE the dna came from....the bike, his truck?! If it was the bike, HUGE DEAL!!! If it was the truck, could be his g/f or family (which could also be a partner in crime, but harder to tell if it was someone close to him).

I was also thinking, if he did have someone bring him home from texas, it's not necessarily an accomplice....w/ him working offshore, I'm sure he could come up w/ some b.s. excuse to get his g/f, family, or friends to come get here (NOW they might realize, but at the time they could of had no idea IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule