LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACI, do you think it would be useful or possible for them to look at video footage, if there is any, in the Texas area where he burned the truck?

Also, in your opinion, do you think he disposed of her body at WB with the bike or on the way to WB or on the way to Texas or with the truck in Texas?

I would think he'd be too nervous to drive Interstate to Texas with a body in tow

I am sure they knew when he got back from offshore. They also knew his regular route home since/if they had his GPS. They waited for him to get to Lafayette to stop him. I am sure they wanted to make sure the arrest happened here. In Lafayette.

The truck was found burning under a Texas overpass right? He could have flagged someone down "hey man my truck broke down and is smoking, can I catch a ride?" or he could have had someone with him waiting to haul arse out of there as soon as the flames started. I can't imagine BSL flagging down a ride beside a burning truck but he's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Trying to find the TX news article saying where the truck was found..

ETA:: I also remember seeing where the burned truck had been stripped. Anyone else seeing the articles?

I am still catching up but didnt someone determine that the truck in the article had to be the wrong truck based upon the dates?

ACI, do you think it would be useful or possible for them to look at video footage, if there is any, in the Texas area where he burned the truck?

Also, in your opinion, do you think he disposed of her body at WB with the bike or on the way to WB or on the way to Texas or with the truck in Texas?

I would think he'd be too nervous to drive Interstate to Texas with a body in tow

I really don't believe there would be any video footage unless he stopped at a convenience store or something like that. Texas really doesn't have that many public surveillance cameras and especially in such a wooded area.

Would it be possible to leave the military bashing out of this? I know on this thread I'm in the minority. But, having lost more than one loved one in combat, the painting of our military with such a broad brush really hurts. If I'm out of line with this personal request, I'm truly sorry.

I'm sorry if I offended you I was just making a correlation.

I spoke to someone immediately following the press conference who knows the insurance agent that gave him his claim check. Agent said he had a bandage on his arm and asked about it. Didn't put it all together until the arrest. So yes, he did file insurance claim. So, here's what I think:

He goes out Friday night, maybe looking, maybe not. Maybe he and GF were on the outs. Anyway, he sees Mickey and decides he wants her. Picks her up. Knocks her out somehow. Needs to get rid of bike, it's in the way. Drops bike at WB. He did not pick up a victim just to kill. He needs his thrill first. He takes her home. Maybe decides he is going to keep her a couple of days, set her free, maybe. Come Sunday morning, her story is everywhere. He is stuck, has the girl and can't let her go now. (I don't know how to phrase this sensitively) he kills his victim and heads to Texas. Somewhere along the way he gets rid of body, but now the truck is full of evidence. Stops in San Jacinto, TX grabs all of his personal belongings (possibly including GPS, i would cinsider that a personal item, and i also never knew that past data was stored) Finds secluded place, burns truck. Heads to Montgomery TX. Monday morning he reports his truck stolen. File insurance claim. Rents a car, heads home. Heads off shore. In the meantime, insurance working on claim. Goes to buy a new truck when he gets back. He goes on like nothing happened.

Also, regarding the video from the TDA, perhaps that was what sealed the deal fror LE. Could they have positively identified his truck with a bike in the back?

Yes, and maybe he’d already told the GF that he was planning to get away to East Texas that weekend to do some camping before he went back off-shore. But he was in Lafayette on Friday night and decided to “get a girl” and everything went wrong — she fought back… so he had to flee to Montgomery Co. TX to help support his initial story and dispose of incriminating evidence.

Otherwise why not clean everything up closer to home?

Im sure they immediately checked into video around where the truck was found. If they found anything, I dont know. I agree I dont think he would risk driving long distances with a body in tow. I would think it would be somewhere close to home. But if he did transport her, the body could be anywhere. He went all the way to texas to dispose of the truck, so no telling how far and in what direction to dispose of a body. But I would think near his home or in/around the basin

BL reminds me a LOT of Travis Forbes. He was a sexual predator, an opportunist, and picked up Kenia in the wee morning hours after she was clubbing. He wasn't caught at first, and then attacked another woman and set her condo on fire after he assaulted her. Dateline is running a story on him on July 13, 2012. It might be worth watching.

Oh, and in between the murder of Kenia and the assault on the other woman, Travis fled to, you guessed it, Texas, in a borrowed car.

Here's Kenia's thread: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132597"]Found Deceased CO - Kenia Monge, 19, Denver nightclub, 31 March 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

What's interesting is an anonymous tipster reported the connection between the truck and Mickey. That leads me to believe that he told someone that he got rid of his truck in Texas.

I don't read the other forums but a few members here do and had been posting for a few days that there was talk of him burning the truck. I had some craziness going on for a couple of days so I missed it and it was all deleted by the time I came back. Wish I knew how all of this came about. Members here definitely knew about the truck being burned before it was released by LE.

Would it be possible to leave the military bashing out of this? I know on this thread I'm in the minority. But, having lost more than one loved one in combat, the painting of our military with such a broad brush really hurts. If I'm out of line with this personal request, I'm truly sorry.

God Bless You and those who serve and those who have lost their lives. Agree a debate i will not engage in. Too many have served honorably and will never come home. Don't be sorry.

I pulled up the stretch where the Sheriff said her abduction occurred and it made me feel lonely. It seems isolated enough that something definitely could have happened there and potentially no one even heard her scream or the impact :( It just makes me so angry. Like, why did he have to decide that night he wanted to hurt someone. Why did they have to even cross paths? Why didn't he just rape her and then let her go? Why didn't he stay in jail for his previous convictions? Why do people like him even exist? Somewhat rhetorical and I know we will never have answers for some of those questions.

I thought he was a mechanic for the state while in prison and then worked offshore? He was a auto body repair person?

Someone posted a link this morning of an article that discussed his training in auto body. I am guessing he does both. His resume and LinkedIn profile list him as a mechanic.

I have serious doubts about BSL's mental issues are stemming from his military service. I think the way we treat our veterans is deplorable, considering what they give up for our country. I do think they need to be a little more careful as to whom they select to be in the service. I'm sure, at times, they feel they have to take who they can get, because who would want sign their life away, only to be denied basic veteran services upon returning from wherever. Sorry, but a guy like BSL should not be representing this country! There should be enough evaluations to weed out sociopaths like him.

i agree. there are military personnel that have issues before they enter the military and then blame it on the military/war when they get out and we're supposed to feel bad for them because of it. well no. my cousin is an example of this and that is the reason he went into the military, just for sympathy so he can act how he wants and blame it on serving for the rest of us so we just have to look the other way. i dont by this is due to BSL's PTSD. he was a sicko long before that

EDIT: I posted this before I was caught up in the thread. Sorry if this offends anyone. I do not in anyway think that all military members are like this. I think this is a small minority of them and our military members should be treated with the respect they deserve, obviously.

Yes, and maybe he’d already told the GF that he was planning to get away to East Texas that weekend to do some camping before he went back off-shore. But he was in Lafayette on Friday night and decided to “get a girl” and everything went wrong — she fought back… so he had to flee to Montgomery Co. TX to help support his initial story and dispose of incriminating evidence.

Otherwise why not clean everything up closer to home?

I wonder if he thought by "spreading things out" for lack of better words he would throw off suspicion.

It seems like they just don't know where he grabbed her. Those are a lot of options.

they probably know and just aren't releasing it like all the other details. why release it when only BSL knows, that could be useful info to get from him if he talks

From my research, sexual opportunist predators will take their victim somewhere private, but eventually involve somewhere familiar to them to murder or keep the victim for later burial or disposal. It would stand to logic that BL did the same thing. I doubt very much he drove with Mickey to Texas. She's likely closer to his home. I agree with others that he dumped the bike in a totally different place to throw off the investigation.

this is the article I was remembering..
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasa...cle_b6926ad2-fd67-543c-a416-c53ec5a8b88e.html

La Porte police responded to a vehicle fire shortly after 10 p.m. and found what appeared to be a pickup truck fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters arrived shortly after and extinguished the fire. However, the truck melted almost entirely, La Porte police spokesman Sgt. John Krueger said.
The officer at the scene could not make out the license plate number but identified the vehicle as a possibly white 2004 to 2008 GMC or Chevrolet extended cab pickup truck.
The vehicle was stripped of all of its contents, which could indicate that the truck was stolen before it was put on fire, Krueger said.
(BBM)

Oh, that's what was said....didn't someone disprove this to be the truck because LaPorte is not in San Jacinto County?

I do not know....just remember the discussion and making a mental note to not incorporate this info into the facts.

i agree. there are military personnel that have issues before they enter the military and then blame it on the military/war when they get out and we're supposed to feel bad for them because of it. well no. my cousin is an example of this and that is the reason he went into the military, just for sympathy so he can act how he wants and blame it on serving for the rest of us so we just have to look the other way. i dont by this is due to BSL's PTSD. he was a sicko long before that

Exactly. This isn't a crime committed because of PTSD. He didn't do this because she did something that bothered him and he got angry and snapped. It wasn't a "flash back." This is the type of crime a sociopath commits, plain and simple.

Oh, that's what was said....didn't someone disprove this to be the truck because LaPorte is not in San Jacinto County?

I do not know....just remember the discussion and making a mental note to not incorporate this info into the facts.

Yes. La Porte is to the southeast of Houston. San Jacinto County is northeast.

LE did say at the presser they felt he was out trolling. If Mickey had not been there at that exact time it would have been another girl. Perhaps another night but there would have been another victim :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko