LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO. the press conference said it occured further down st. laundry between st mary and blackham colliseum. so this means that absolutely without a doubt there is no mickey and no bike under the truck in any of the pics we have!!!!!!

Exactly! It also means it didn't happen on the "HooptyCam" (TM Chicken Fried).

He was pulled over on an unrelated warrant regarding sex offender registration. http://www.ktbs.com/news/UPDATE-Rev...nce/-/144844/15423896/-/1275meiz/-/index.html

I'm thinking they pulled him over for failure to signal etc., KNOWING his DL was altered from the car dealership lady, then when he gave this his license they charged him for that then so on.

Chief Craft said BOTH traffic violation then something about sex offender registration - so I'm assuming his license being altered as an offender. Either way, he's been arrested and I am glad for that!!!

Maybe this time he picked up the wrong "right" girl. Mickey's case received waaaaaay more attention than others in Louisiana (that is NOT a complaint or a brag). Maybe previous victims didn't have as many friends and family to love and spread the word MOO.

Yeah I do think it is possible he has other victims that just didn't come forward (he may not have killed them all or possibly even any of them). Rape still largely goes unreported. It is also possible he was "smarter" in the girls he chose. It is no secret that certain cases get a lot more attention and that can be dependent on the lifestyle or life of the victim. Maybe he just got really sloppy this time and couldn't control himself even though Mickey was "risky"
If anything good comes from this it will be him being behind bars or executed and never, ever being able to hurt anyone else.

in the last paragraph the neighbor talks about a bayou. i really think they should and probably are already checking into that bayou. someone on here named CIRCA said something about a long bayou along Ko Dupuis Road. Has anyone mapped that out? I keep trying to map it in reference to his house, but i lost the coordinates for his house (since Elaine doesn't come up)

I reported this post to LE back on May 31st (I checked my email sent folder to double check)

I was recently in Texas and they had cameras everywhere I went. Stores ,gas stations rest stop every so often along the interstate ,plus in the event of tractor trailers been stolen and chased up I 35 they can dispatch choppers in moments. Heck even the flea market in texas had cameras oh and they also sold new front ends for chevy trucks ..and a bunch of other parts ,wheels and tires.

It wouldn't surprise me if I-35 did have cameras since it runs through Austin. Any projects for the "betterment" of the state will start in that area. In deep East Texas, however, I doubt it. The only cameras here are the red light cameras at intersections and some convenience stores have them.

I spoke to someone immediately following the press conference who knows the insurance agent that gave him his claim check. Agent said he had a bandage on his arm and asked about it. Didn't put it all together until the arrest. So yes, he did file insurance claim. So, here's what I think:

He goes out Friday night, maybe looking, maybe not. Maybe he and GF were on the outs. Anyway, he sees Mickey and decides he wants her. Picks her up. Knocks her out somehow. Needs to get rid of bike, it's in the way. Drops bike at WB. He did not pick up a victim just to kill. He needs his thrill first. He takes her home. Maybe decides he is going to keep her a couple of days, set her free, maybe. Come Sunday morning, her story is everywhere. He is stuck, has the girl and can't let her go now. (I don't know how to phrase this sensitively) he kills his victim and heads to Texas. Somewhere along the way he gets rid of body, but now the truck is full of evidence. Stops in San Jacinto, TX grabs all of his personal belongings (possibly including GPS, i would cinsider that a personal item, and i also never knew that past data was stored) Finds secluded place, burns truck. Heads to Montgomery TX. Monday morning he reports his truck stolen. File insurance claim. Rents a car, heads home. Heads off shore. In the meantime, insurance working on claim. Goes to buy a new truck when he gets back. He goes on like nothing happened.

Also, regarding the video from the TDA, perhaps that was what sealed the deal fror LE. Could they have positively identified his truck with a bike in the back?

When he hit, injured her he could have pretended it was an accident and be the nice guy to help her and that he was sorry, offered to take her to the hospital since it was late. This could have been a manuever for him to gain her trust to go willingly as not to scream and draw attention to him. She could have been a little out of it. He doesnt look like a creepy guy. Not that bad looking. If he took her to his house there should be lots of DNA. There are so many scenarios. I hope he confesses to what really happened. I highly doubt it though.

Maybe this time he picked up the wrong "right" girl. Mickey's case received waaaaaay more attention than others in Louisiana (that is NOT a complaint or a brag). Maybe previous victims didn't have as many friends and family to love and spread the word MOO.

And if he did it in the same part of Texas where he dumped his truck, it would be just another missing woman. Maybe he got someone too close to home this time.

I don't believe Mickey was ever taken to his house, or he probably would have burned that down too.

Whatever happened took place in his vehicle...JMO

I tend to agree with you, cluciano. Not to beat a dead horse, but Travis admitted that he was sexually assaulting Kenia in his van and when she resisted, he strangled her. BUT, he brought her back to a familiar place...even went so far as to roll her body that he put in a cooler into the freezer at his job/residence and THEN start another fire outside in a burn bin. It was later he drove her body in the cooler to the burial spot on the highway. The Prues, similarly, took Melissa back home to "bathe" her in bleach and then took her to the river where they disposed of her body.

All three were opportunistic sexual predators just like BL.

ETA: Same thing happened in Samantha Koenig's case and Sierra LaMar.

It wouldn't surprise me if I-35 did have cameras since it runs through Austin. Any projects for the "betterment" of the state will start in that area. In deep East Texas, however, I doubt it. The only cameras here are the red light cameras at intersections and some convenience stores have them.

interstate cameras are just for traffic though, right? they don't keep footage, so it would have to be gas station type cameras. he probably wouldn't stop at a gas station with a body in his car, so i guess Texas cams won't be useful. That GPS is what is going to be useful.

I wonder when they will start searches for her body again?

I am really surprised that more hasn't come out about him. No family, no friends, no real co-worker interviews that I have read. No one stepping up to say he is innocent or he couldn't be involved or he was "such a quiet guy," etc.... Usually, you'll at least see something in comments on news articles and such that say I knew him or I went to school with him, etc..., but I have seen nothing outside of the girlfriend's bil and one co-worker that said he was nice, but a little off. Wonder if he has family in the area?

ETA: I did read comments about the arson at the parent's house. Are they still around? Does he have other family? Friends?

He has a lot of family in the area! They have been listed on a couple of social network sites. It appears they mainly live in the Church Point/Eunice area. A couple in Lafayette and in TX i think. Not sure if these areas are near each other. Definitely him as he has pics attached of himself.

I agree. No way he stayed quiet for 4 years. I'm sure once he got out of prison he couldn't wait to satiate his sick appetite. If he waited 4 years i think we would have seen a better thought out plan. They always get sloppy as time goes on and is what eventually gets them caught :moo:

That. And he goes from forced oral battery to abduction, I am assuming rape, and murder? That is a pretty steep jump.

I am not surprised to see the arson. That is common for serial killers.

This guy went to considerable trouble to try to get rid of the bike and his truck...but failed on both counts. And yet he seems to have had better luck in getting rid of Mickey's body, again showing how easy it is to hide a body, if indeed we need any reminders, with all of the many unsolved missing persons cases. Easier to hide a body than to get rid of trucks, bikes, etc...

Maybe "Siri" helped. Sorry I had to say that. :what:

she will be found eventually, I think. unless the alligators consumed her. awful to type, i know, but really i think that they will search and search until she is found and the only way she won't be is if gators have already gotten to her.

What's interesting is an anonymous tipster reported the connection between the truck and Mickey. That leads me to believe that he told someone that he got rid of his truck in Texas.

Maybe this is the tip that came from the GF's family?

If Siri helped, there is a call center somewhere with that information. When someone asks Siri a question, it is routed to a "call center" where someone looks up the information and sends it back to the phone.

Can't you deny OnStar? I have a new car and I know that OnStar is an option that I didn't want. I don't have it. Not sure this is the case with all makes/models.

As I said yesterday, if I were a predator there is NO way I would allow OnStar in my car. The last thing you would want is a tracking software.

OnStar is owned by GM and built into virtually all of their models now. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado and even back in 2008 I could not buy a GM truck without it. And, I had no choice but to take the "free" 6-months trial service also.

I refused to renew my "free" service when the 6-month trial period was over. One day while pulling out of my work parking lot they switched on the speaker in my car and asked me over the loud speaker why I didn't renew. Scared the crap out of me. After I wet my pants I got good and PO'd. Makes me wonder if they actually listen in on peoples' conversations if they want to.

As others have said, they have admitted they track you and your vehicle info after your subscription is over. Their main customers for the data: insurance companies. There's supposed to be no "personally idenifiable data" handed over.

Onstar can be diabled, either partially or fully. Here's a how-to: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMlhs_-PaHk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMlhs_-PaHk[/ame] Note that if the power supply is simply disconnected it still continues to work until the internal rechargeable battery is drained. This was added to foil car theives who cut the car battery cable(s) to eliminate tracking and stole the cars.

yes, we thought about that early on in the investigation. the easiest way to deal with this is, first, did he have an iphone 4? then next, if he did, retrace his steps with an iphone and ask Syri, "where can I hide a body?" she will list them out.

i wonder if the place where the truck was burned is the place Syri gives you if you are in that area when you ask her, "where can i hide evidence"

OnStar is owned by GM and built into virtually all of their models now. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado and even back in 2008 I could not buy a GM truck without it. And, I had no choice but to take the "free" 6-months trial service also.

I refused to renew my "free" service when the 6-month trial period was over. One day while pulling out of my work parking lot they switched on the speaker in my car and asked me over the loud speaker why I didn't renew. Scared the crap out of me. After I wet my pants I got good and PO'd. Makes me wonder if they actually listen in on peoples' conversations if they want to.

As others have said, they have admitted they track you and your vehicle info after your subscription is over. Their main customers for the data: insurance companies. There's supposed to be no "personally idenifiable data" handed over.

Onstar can be diabled, either partially or fully. Here's a how-to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMlhs_-PaHk Note that if the power supply is simply disconnect it still continues to work until the internal rechargeable battery is drained. This was added to foil car theives who cut the car battery to eliminate tracking and stole the cars.

There has to be a fuse or something that could be removed to get rid of the service. I wouldn't want it either!

Would it be possible to leave the military bashing out of this? I know on this thread I'm in the minority. But, having lost more than one loved one in combat, the painting of our military with such a broad brush really hurts. If I'm out of line with this personal request, I'm truly sorry.

Unfortunately, Mickey Shunick was murdered and likely raped by a male veteran, so discussing gender or occupation is relevant. Nobody is saying all men or all soldiers are rapists. However, statistics bear out that the occupation of soldier and the male gender are two factors that make human beings in our society significantly more likely to commit the act of rape. This isn't occupation bashing or sexism.

Many of us have lost loved ones in combat, but instead of thinking about ourselves, we're thinking about what Mickey Shunick went through, what could've contributed to the perpetrator's psychological problems, and what could have prevented this crime from happening. It's too late to save Mickey Shunick now, but the only way our nation will get its outrageous rape and murder statistics down to the level of other first world countries is to try to identify the causes and correlations of these crimes in our country, and to think about what can be done to reduce them. Ignoring the problem or denying correlations strongly backed by statistics isn't going to make the problem go away.

That. And he goes from forced oral battery to abduction, I am assuming rape, and murder? That is a pretty steep jump.

I am not surprised to see the arson. That is common for serial killers.

Agree. Quite a leap huh. According to reports he certainly did have the traits of a serial killer in the making :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member