Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

Arnold reviewed a 1998 complaint by a woman whose son had showered with Sandusky, but no charges were filed after a police investigation.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Curley-Schultz-call-Freeh-report-one-sided-3703169.php

Arnold indicated that the case was removed from her by Gricar, and that she didn't make the decision. There are also hints that she disagreed with Gricar on the decision, "extensive disagreements."

Frankly, I believe her and believe that, if she had been the one making this decision, it might have ended in prosecution. She has hinted at that. Now, I'm nowhere near a fan of hers.

That said, she should have talked to Freeh, or described her grand jury testimony.

this article points to how little is actually known about whqat happened, and why. one wonders if it will ever be known. major questions remain. also remining is a strong remnant of joepas power structure at penn state.

its not even close to being over, and considering the holes in our legal system, which favors criminals and conspirators in court, one wonders if anything near the truth will ever be known.

seems like nothing short of a woodward and bernstein style investigation or a full fbi investigation could pry anything near the truth out of happy valley.

hopefully sarah and her editor stay on the case. it seems the only hope for disclosure of the truth at this point.

Just reported on espn radio (mike and mike) that paterno family plans major attack on freeh report. will challenge the report. will form group to study and challenge the report.

joepa is alive and well. looking after his reputation. both in the family and the university.

this is additional proof that Freeh was right. Joepa cared more about his reputation than the truth. so does his family.

Board of Trustees & President Erickson launch website: http://progress.psu.edu to keep the public updated on the implementation of Freeh's recommedations.

I cannot quote today's email from Erickson.

Just reported on espn radio (mike and mike) that paterno family plans major attack on freeh report. will challenge the report. will form group to study and challenge the report.

joepa is alive and well. looking after his reputation. both in the family and the university.

this is additional proof that Freeh was right. Joepa cared more about his reputation than the truth. so does his family.

And it looks like they are willing to spend big bucks to have someone spare his reputation - but really to put THEIR SPIN out there! Of course they have millions to spend these days.:maddening:

I'm in Central PA. I can tell you there are people here who still insist Paterno is wrongly accused of anything resembling misconduct. Some go so far as to suggest Freeh manufactured evidence to discredit a dead man.

It's frustrating, but there's very little one can do about or with people who refuse to see the truth.

It might take a whole 4 year cycle to put this to rest.

Paterno crafted his image and legacy very well, IMO. It's embedded into the fabric of large chunks of Pennsylvania geography. Some parts of PA are like a company town.

About 5 years ago, I encountered Paterno at a turnpike rest stop/restaurant cluster. He was always "on" and Pennsylvania was his stage. MOO, natch.

Board of Trustees & President Erickson launch website: http://progress.psu.edu to keep the public updated on the implementation of Freeh's recommedations.

I cannot quote today's email from Erickson.

wonder what the reaction of the BOt's will be to the Paterno family announcing that they will form a group of their "experts" to dissect the Freeh report and challenge it and, essentially, attempt to resurrect their dead patriarch's reputation by attacking the report?

The Paterno family has thrown down the gauntlet to the Penn State University. The BOT commisioned a report, received the report, and now apparently has accepted its recommendations and wants to implement them.

The Paterno family is going to challenge the report. with its own team of "experts."

Its not close to being over in happy valley folks.

and who is paying for the challenge?

the retirement package the now dead Paterno negotiated with Spanier at the 11th hour, when it was obvious he was going to be forced to retire.

Interesting dynamic. the power of the cult of the individual naturally outlives the individual. it reminds me of Stalinist Russia after Stalin was officially repudiated. The system naturally contains much of what the dead leader produced. These "assets" will resist an attack upon the dead leader, and upon whatever benefits and power they derrived from him.

so the Paternos will hire their own "experts" to challenge the findings ofr an independent investigator that the Penn Sate BOT's accepts.

wonder what the reaction of the BOt's will be to the Paterno family announcing that they will form a group of their "experts" to dissect the Freeh report and challenge it and, essentially, attempt to resurrect their dead patriarch's reputation by attacking the report?

The Paterno family has thrown down the gauntlet to the Penn State University. The BOT commisioned a report, received the report, and now apparently has accepted its recommendations and wants to implement them.

The Paterno family is going to challenge the report. with its own team of "experts."

and who is paying for the challenge?

the retirement package the now dead Paterno negotiated with Spanier at the 11th hour, when it was obvious he was going to be forced to retire.

Interesting dynamic. the power of the cult of the individual naturally outlives the individual. it reminds me of Stalinist Russia after Stalin was officially repudiated. The system naturally contains much of what the dead leader produced. These "assets" will resist an attack upon the dead leader, and upon whatever benefits and power they derrived from him.

so the Paternos will hire their own "experts" to challenge the findings ofr an independent investigator that the Penn Sate BOT's accepts.

I'd imagine there's a specific, private alumni fund dedicated to the Perpetuation of the Beatification of Paterno. These folks are ferocious.

Legacy protection never works.

Pretty much. It turns out making the guy whose legacy they are trying to protect look worse.

I haven't been here, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Freeh said "Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, about what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001. "

I'm very disturbed by the implication.

What "additional harm" above & beyond being sodomized?

Only Sandusky knew who this child is/was. Where is the child? Who's following this thread?

Victim 2 has haunted me since November, and the Freeh statement about him makes me physically ill.

Where is Victim 2?

At this point I have to wonder if they are protecting the legacy or the purse.

The CDT is running an on-line poll on if the statue should come down. The paper is in the middle of Paterno Country. The current results are:

Should Penn State take down the Joe Paterno statue at Beaver Stadium in light of the Freeh report findings?

Yes: 41%

No: 50%

Don't Know: 9%

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/#storylink=cpy

Just as the Freeh Report was released, IIRC, it was about 30-32%, yes.

It is going to take some time, but public opinion is shifting.

From Ganim's article, link posted by JJ:

"Second Mile misconceptions

There’s a false belief that more information may still come from The Second Mile’s internal investigation.

It won’t.

Essentially, what Lynne Abraham’s firm found, they used to recommend the children’s charity dissolve and transfer assets to Texas-based charity Arrow Ministries.

No internal report was completed and no public reflection about whether policies were violated will be released publicly. When pressed on the issue, CEO David Woodle said only that the internal report’s decision to continue programs elsewhere was a positive reflection on the charity."

So, is there no other oversight body for charities- can only civil suits penetrate it?

I found this in the news archives and it kind of surprised me. It probably isn't pertinent but I thought I'd include it here:

October 30, 2009 -

Former Democratic District Attorney candidates Anthony De Boef and J. Karen Arnold formally announced their support for Republican incumbent Michael Madeira on Thursday, both saying he is best for the future of Centre County. http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2009/10/30/former_democratic_da_candidate.aspx

Freeh said "Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, about what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001. "

Only Sandusky knew who this child is/was. Where is the child? Who's following this thread?

Victim 2 has haunted me since November, and the Freeh statement about him makes me physically ill.

Where is Victim 2?

Sandusky continued his abuse of children for another ten years. noone knows how many of those years were spent sexually, mentally and physically abusing that one child.

so i guess the answer would be, additional sexual, mental and physical harm associated with being attacked by a predator, not to mention the lifelong problems associated with the continued harm done from that point on INSTEAD OF the assistance that would have been available had the child been identified and the perversion been halted THEN. additional harm was done when the child wasn't able to begin to heal, right then and there.

he wasn't.

Sandusky continued his abuse of children for another ten years. noone knows how many of those years were spent sexually, mentally and physically abusing that one child.

so i guess the answer would be, additional sexual, mental and physical harm associated with being attacked by a predator, not to mention the lifelong problems associated with the continued harm done from that point on INSTEAD OF the assistance that would have been available had the child been identified and the perversion been halted THEN. additional harm was done when the child wasn't able to begin to heal, right then and there.

he wasn't.

I was leaning toward a more sinister conclusion.

I was leaning toward a more sinister conclusion.

like what? he abused countless others as well but, what else? the quote refrerred to "this child"...oh i get it...a more sinister implication as to why the child was never found...right...one idea was that he was bought off..i supposed there could be others, a lot more sinister.

right

maybe qan investigation needs to commence to ID this child. it couldnt be that difficulty. sandusky cultivated one victim at a tiome. or just a few. and took his time and a trail was established.

but i wonder if the report was hinting at that possibilty? so far as a know noone has investigated to find the child....shouldnt that BE done?

Where is Victim 2?

It's amazing to think that the whereabouts of two of the major players in this scandal -- victim 2 and Ray Gricar -- are completely unknown (at least to the public, anyway).

It seems like the FBI should be trying to find them. I don't have much confidence anything will be done at the state level.

like what? he abused countless others as well but, what else?

I think it's significant that Freeh specifically mentioned that only Sandusky knew the identity of Victim 2.

It's significant because no one else since has been able to establish who Victim 2 was.

It's as if he vanished.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288