JoePa's Statue

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters
Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.

Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.

Good idea

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I've done a 180 on this. At first I was totally against taking it down but the more I think about it, I think it does have to come down. Mainly because no matter what good JoeP has brought to that university, the statue will always serve as a reminder to what wasn't done. In many ways, the statue not only represents JP, but all the higher ups who turned the other way in order to save the reputation of Penn State. JP's legacy has become this tragedy, no matter how many people want to deny it. The public at large (non-penn state alumni and fans) will now always remember JP for what he didn't do, instead of what he did for 50+ years there. For that reason, the statue must be taken down. Move it off campus, to a museum or someplace that the family can fund. If folks want to visit it they can visit it at it's new location. But sitting it at the place where all there tragedies happened and taking into account that JP is a part of allowing those tragedies to happen, means it must go.

I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):

Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."​

Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo​

Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

Sorry if I sound angry.

I agree Twindad. There will be some who would visit the archives but it should be off campus. Noone can write JP out of Penn St. history altogether, but it should located off campus. JP is deceased and no longer PSU football coach. IMO, it is disrespectful to survivors and victims and the current football coach/players for it to remain in it's current location. Maybe the P family or a wealthy benefactor will consider your suggestion.

I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist:))

my opinion

wm

I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):

Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."​

Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo​

It is true
http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow.html?article=10274637

Someone has a banner flying over Penn State today that says "Take the statue down or we will"

I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist:))

You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.

You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.

Thank you LRinCA! I no longer have the respect for JP that I once had but we cannot rewrite/erase history. Ya know?

Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

Sorry if I sound angry.

You can sound as angry as you'd like. JP is a pedophile enabler. I have not had one ounce of sympathy for him and hope his death was painful, excruciatingly so.
As for the statue, melt the damn thing.

A small airplane flying a banner re Paterno statue....

AP Photo/Centre Daily Times, Nabil K. Mark
A plane flying over the Penn State University campus in State College, pulls a banner reading "Take the statue down or we will" today.

By Mark Dent / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JULIAN, Pa. - From about 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., a plane towing a banner that read "Take The Statue Down or We Will" flew above State College, apparently sending a message to the Penn State administration about the Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium.
The plane is owned by Air America Aerial Ads, a limited liability company based in Toledo, Ohio, according to its FAA registration.
Before the tail number could be identified by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Air America owner Jim Miller said the plane did not belong to him. Later calls to Miller and a company spokesperson were not immediately returned. Miller's company has flown sports-related banners before, including an anti-Tiger Woods banner at the 2010 Masters.
The pilot of the plane declined to identify himself, his company or to speak about the flight. The plane took off and landed at Ridge Soaring Gliderport in Julian.
The gliderport's owner, Tom Knauff, said his airport had no kno

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...ss-about-paterno-statue-645043/#ixzz20ufNvaIb

The statue needs to come down, but not with an implied threat like this:

PaternoStatueDown.jpg

They should take it down. Beyond that, I have no idea. I love twindad's idea of an archival museum though.

But I don't think PSU will do anything or if they do, it'll be because of public pressure and not because it's the right thing to do, which will just negate the whole thing.

Also, IA with the poster that said the artist should paint over that blue ribbon in the JoePa painting. It's offensive and insulting. He may have supported the cause in words(or money, no clue there) but when he had the chance to do something, he chose to take no action and to let it continue.

I heard they're going to keep the statue.

They're just going to turn it a bit so it can look the other way.

Pull It down. Take his name off the buildings. Find some way to fire Mike McQueary and the janitor who witnessed a little boy getting raped and did not intervene. And other collegiate sports programs have recieved the NCAA's "death penalty" for far less egregious actions (or, in PSU's case, INaction), so I think that is appropriate, too.
JMO

Pull It down. Take his name off the buildings. Find some way to fire Mike McQueary and the janitor who witnessed a little boy getting raped and did not intervene. And other collegiate sports programs have recieved the NCAA's "death penalty" for far less egregious actions (or, in PSU's case, INaction), so I think that is appropriate, too.
JMO

They already did. Ooops I mean his contract wasn't renewed, and he is filing a whistleblower lawsuit.

From link below:

McQueary testified that he saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower of a Penn State locker room in 2001 and told Paterno. McQueary’s employment with Penn State ended with his June 30 contract expiration, Erickson said.

http://triblive.com/news/2197583-74...usky-trustees-erickson-mcqueary-report-former

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back