IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does "believe they are alive" mean " have no evidence they are dead" in copspeak?

I have definitely seen cases where cops have said that the victims are still alive and then the victims turned out to be dead. In at least one of them cops were saying that while already knowing the victim was dead.
It does seem more hopeful in this case and I am praying that is because it is true.

That is such good news!

After this I sure hope they do. It would be terrible for them to tell the family they think they are alive and then find their bodiesl

I just don't see a reason to keep them alive at all. The most likely reason for abduction is a predator. Ok so he wants to use them as long as possible but now the FBI says they have suspects ...if i was the predator that would seal their death warrant.

imo

We have that system in place in my school district as well, but it can only really be enforced for checking a student out of school. After the kids are dismissed at the end of the day, if student is a "car rider", they go out to the car rider ramp where the looong string of cars are waiting at parent pickup. When their car pulls up, they get in it and go. There are teachers outside that work the ramp but only to keep it flowing smoothly and of course watch out for obvious abductions (like a screaming kid being snatched into a car). What the teachers do not do is look inside every car and make sure the driver is on the parent pickup list. It would take hours for the kids to get picked up every day.
This is just how it works at MY school. I'm not saying that that is the way it is at their school.

I've seen the string of cars waiting for children back in Iowa City. And you're right, I didn't see any sign of staff checking IDs against a list or even really looking at the drivers. They just shovel those kids into cars as fast as they can.

Not that I'm blaming them! They have to get a couple hundred kids into a couple hundred cars and everyone involved just wants to get out of there.

First-degree kidnapping, which includes for the purpose of sexual abuse, is life in prison, same as for murder.

This may just be me, but I really think those drinks should be tested for dna and ran through a crime data base. I'd call LE over and have and suggest so. You just never know.....

Pic 1: 3 empty cans of energy drink left in that clearing. Seemed odd that A) anyone would need three giant cans of energy drink all in the same spot, B) if this area were scoured, those would be left behind, C) someone would come by later and linger long enough to drink three of these.

Pic 2: From the south edge of the clearing, looking south at the trail.

Pic 3: From fence edge, looking west towards the jetty. You can see that getting to this spot from the jetty would be dicey if the lake were full. Although not deep, it would be difficult to do without getting wet/muddy.

Pic 4: Right up on the fence, facing south-southwest onto the trail.

Pic 5: From the very southeastern corner of the lake's shore, looking across to the parking area/playground.

Does anyone else find it strange that LE would announce having suspect/suspects, if they don't have someone in for questioning.

Do they mean they have someone at the station being questioned?

To make this announcement if someone isn't at the police station just isn't right.

I would think if LE had someone in for questioning, they would have said that.

:twocents::twocents::twocents: and IMO

As anyone else got any thoughts on the ~5 minute window between the camera footage and the guy on the trail coming across the bikes?

I read yesterday that the camera footage was really grainy but haven't seen it. I'm wondering if that is another red herring by LE?

My reasoning is because I don't believe the girls could do 1.5 miles in ~5 minutes. To test this, I just watched the end of the Tour De France and timed how long it took the distance to go counter to reduce by 2.4km (~1.5 miles)

Almost 3 minutes! for elite athletes.......on closed roads.

Tell me I ain't going crazy on this point.......:please:

I don't think the girls could have done it in 5 minutes, either.

However, the estimate of 12:20 pm seems a bit long to a local poster, who said that an adult on a bicycle could make it to the convenience store where he placed a call on his cell phone in less than 2 minutes.

If you go with assuming he over-estimated the time, then there could be up to 10 minutes in the window.

And that is plenty of time to disappear the girls.

Whatever happened to the 2:30 sighting of the girls on their bikes --the one that brought the focus to the lake in the first place? Was that discounted somehow, and how?

ETA--thank you in advance!

I am starting to get a feeling that LE may have been contacted by someone who knows the girls are safe somewhere and some of the recent remarks like the interview with Elizabeth's parents and that VM, and the interview on FOX with Misty, Tammy and grandma were some sort of signal/communication to the perps. Just a thought or hope.

Did I see that the press conference today is at 3pm?

I thought the biker knew the time because he called is daughter after he swerved to miss the bikes?

He saw two bikes. We don't know for sure they were bikes belonging to Lyric and Elizabeth.

Could have been two other kids who coincidentally stopped there.

"We believe the two girls are alive," FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told ABC News. Breault said this belief was based partly on the evidence found Friday, but would not elaborate further.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-believes-missing-iowa-girls-alive/story?id=16827922

Adding to your post on what the FBI spokesperson said yesterday:

Breault says investigators are interviewing "persons of interest" in the case, whom she declined to identify.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...eve-missing-iowa-girls-are-alive-report-says/

He saw two bikes. We don't know for sure they were bikes belonging to Lyric and Elizabeth.

Could have been two other kids who coincidentally stopped there.

Not trying to start a rumor, but I really thought the police have the bikes??

Question...Why would an area southeast of Evansdale have an address of Waterloo? ???? Help.. TIA

Did I see that the press conference today is at 3pm?

Yes as far as I know they said there would be at the press conference yesterday.

If there is any news from the press conference please post it here.

I totally and completely understand that everyone handles grief differently, but the family seems very "at ease" is the best way I can describe it. All I keep thinking about is "ballooon boy" whose family made the whole thing up for attention.

So far, I haven't seen anything that looks too weird for an Iowan.

Iowans (and midwesterners) tend to be stoic and to avoid large emotional displays, particularly in public.

There's a lot of social pressure on everyone to put other people at ease. The Iowa way to do this is to smile and assure everyone else that while a given event is trying, that person is bearing up (often with the assistance of prayer--Iowa is very Christian).

I've seen other devout Christian families who were also very stoic and I think it's a manifestation of their faith that the Christian god will assist them or has a plan for them.

Put that together with Iowa stoicism and it means that many Iowans seem unnaturally calm.

Think Lake Wobegon and that's a fairly accurate portrait of Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentr