The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to go back and read the documents from the time of the crime and what Kathy Kirby has said, which is that she got back up out of bed when all the kids returned from the Elder's party and prepared a place for both Suzie and Stacy to sleep. It was late and for all she knew the kids (and that was classmates & friends, not just females) planned to leave early for Branson, so she did not want them leaving again to go somewhere else. She was trying to get everyone settled down for the night. But Suzie and Stacy declined to stay there.

I would not use the word "documentary" when discussing the programs "Disappeared", "Vanished", or "48 HRS" and their reporting on this case.

Hurricane, thanks for the correction or clarification. Most of the general ‘accepted accounts’ of this story have all either said to the effect ‘it was too crowded at the Kirby house, so the girls left,’ or given that clear impression. My guess is, it was a supposition made early on and just stuck.

Ms. Kirby may very well have made plans for the girls to stay and said so in the initial reports. May I offer a little skepticism to the effect, would you not have said the same thing ? The two girls stopped by your house and leave, that much is indisputable. They go missing, in the immediate wake what do you say to camera lights, media accounts, LE and other inquiring minds ? A) The house was too full of relatives from out of town, you girls have to go home, or B) I urged them to stay and fixed a place for them to sleep. Exactly, wouldn’t we all chose 'B.’ This isn’t to say that’s not what happened and Ms. Kirby’s intent. Personally, as a dispassionate observer (as a juror would be), I believe she was more agnostic where the real dispute and tension lay with the three girls, to which we’ll never know what about or why as two of them are dead.

I take issue with the blanket condemnation of the national reports on this case. Having worked in the electronic media for over twenty years, I know most people don’t like stories reported about them. Not liking something and being 'grossly inaccurate’ are not the same thing. All too often people will say, 'I never said that,’ you show them the tape, then it turns to, '...well not in that context,’ show them the context, it turns to, '...well, that’s not what I mean.’ Politicians are great at it and 'spin doctoring’ is a sub science. This isn’t to say there hasn’t been sloppy reporting done, or less than careful in checking simple facts. Or, points have been largely ignored which might be more important to the dialogue. Understand too, with the contemporary stories coming from the, mostly TV media in Springfield, will be done by people often way to young to have remembered that time nor were living in the area then.

Personally, I have only seen the ‘Disappeared’ program and while not overjoyed by it myself, I found its only real failing was rehashing most of what was known or widely reported. It also appeared spoon fed from LE. While not questioning LE’s ethics and accounts, it is one account. We see the Great Civil Rights Movement of the 60‘s through more windows than those provided by Southern Sheriffs, do we not ? But, the producers of that program are cranking out massive quantity of programing, which to be fair is probably reasonably accurate. Do they give it the 60 Minutes Mike Wallace treatment ? No, neither did 48 Hours when it was kicking. But, that proves my point before. Many also don’t like 60 Minutes when they do stories about them either, but not because they’re wrong.

Hurricane, thanks for the correction or clarification. Most of the general ‘accepted accounts’ of this story have all either said to the effect ‘it was too crowded at the Kirby house, so the girls left,’ or given that clear impression. My guess is, it was a supposition made early on and just stuck.

Ms. Kirby may very well have made plans for the girls to stay and said so in the initial reports. May I offer a little skepticism to the effect, would you not have said the same thing ? The two girls stopped by your house and leave, that much is indisputable. They go missing, in the immediate wake what do you say to camera lights, media accounts, LE and other inquiring minds ? A) The house was too full of relatives from out of town, you girls have to go home, or B) I urged them to stay and fixed a place for them to sleep. Exactly, wouldn’t we all chose 'B.’ This isn’t to say that’s not what happened and Ms. Kirby’s intent. Personally, as a dispassionate observer (as a juror would be), I believe she was more agnostic where the real dispute and tension lay with the three girls, to which we’ll never know what about or why as two of them are dead.

I take issue with the blanket condemnation of the national reports on this case. Having worked in the electronic media for over twenty years, I know most people don’t like stories reported about them. Not liking something and being 'grossly inaccurate’ are not the same thing. All too often people will say, 'I never said that,’ you show them the tape, then it turns to, '...well not in that context,’ show them the context, it turns to, '...well, that’s not what I mean.’ Politicians are great at it and 'spin doctoring’ is a sub science. This isn’t to say there hasn’t been sloppy reporting done, or less than careful in checking simple facts. Or, points have been largely ignored which might be more important to the dialogue. Understand too, with the contemporary stories coming from the, mostly TV media in Springfield, will be done by people often way to young to have remembered that time nor were living in the area then.

Personally, I have only seen the ‘Disappeared’ program and while not overjoyed by it myself, I found its only real failing was rehashing most of what was known or widely reported. It also appeared spoon fed from LE. While not questioning LE’s ethics and accounts, it is one account. We see the Great Civil Rights Movement of the 60‘s through more windows than those provided by Southern Sheriffs, do we not ? But, the producers of that program are cranking out massive quantity of programing, which to be fair is probably reasonably accurate. Do they give it the 60 Minutes Mike Wallace treatment ? No, neither did 48 Hours when it was kicking. But, that proves my point before. Many also don’t like 60 Minutes when they do stories about them either, but not because they’re wrong.

Maybe there's a problem with using the "accepted accounts" without verification. Lies, rumors, pure speculation, and opinions which most often are offered without any circumstancial evidence whatsoever at the very least are tainting innocent peoples lives here. Some people should remember, "There but for the grace of God go I". I believe that Kathy Kirby has always been honest and forthcoming, wanting nothing more than to help and see this case solved. As the evening parties wound into the early morning hours she did her best to end it by trying to keep the girls there and attempting to get them down for what was left for the night. And I believe that way too much has been made of this supposed tension between the 3 girls. Could there have been some tension? Probably. Janelle had a steady boyfriend who she later married. Most all of her activities would have centered around their dating relationship as a couple. Could she have wanted it both ways; could she have been jealous of Suzie & Stacy's friendship excluding her? Quite possibly, but I see no evidence of anything more than that.

Since you have not seen the 48 HRS program on this case I will just briefly point out that the program spent something like 12 minutes time (going on memory now but I have actually timed it) covering the kidnapping/abduction of two kids left in a running car by their mom at or near the bridal shop where Stacy had done modeling work. The kidnapper was stealing a car which just happened to have a couple of young kids in the backseat and was caught a couple of hours later on I-44, I believe it was. This clearly had nothing to do with the 3MW case and was resolved by the time 48 HRS was edited before airing on TV that first time. So 48 HRS clearly could have used those 12 minutes for more important details on the 3MW case if they had been more concerned about investigative reporting instead of human interest stories and TV ratings.

"Vanished" was clearly written and produced to make this case appear as if it was front page news again in an effort to get HBO to buy the project and pick up the costs beyond what they had already agreed to. Kathee Baird has said they probably have 6 more hours of taped interviews with her that they didn't use. They probably have twice that much with Janis McCall. HBO is not likely to ever pick up this project because it is not current front page news and really too old (or perhaps not old enough) to be a good human interest story for ratings. It may take another generation or two for that, unless something were to happen such as the remains are found.

As you said, everything has a spin.

I agree with Hurricane's account of what took place here. I would add that he has done extensive investigation into the case and what he brings to the table should be taken seriously.

I agree completely about the girls and the mother. I don't believe there is anything there.

The account about the attempted kidnappings and apprehension did in fact consume a good deal of time of the program which contributed nothing of substance to the case whatever.

The filming of the cops stopping drunken motorists and the like was also of little value. There was a somewhat interesting segment where a letter from the jail was sent to the Levitt house which also consumed a lot of time as well as the human interest story of the McCalls.

But probably the most interesting and important thing to take away from the "48 Hours" piece was what was not said. The detective who did most of the speaking left open the door to any number of possibilities of which is still being hotly debated even today. He also seemed to spend a lot of time puzzling over Suzie's photos. The latter probably deserves closer scrutiny.

I would add one other thing. I have personally spoken to four reporters who worked on this case. And the one most closely linked to this program left me with the impression that not much had moved on this case in at least a decade after it occurred. Probably the most important thing I learned was that the dig in the Cassville area held the most promise for the prosecutor but whatever came of it was sealed and nothing more has been said of it. And the GJ3 deal fizzled although we learned of Robert Cox which has consumed a lot of debate. Personally, if I were trying to concentrate my efforts on this case it would be with the GJ3 and Cox. I strongly suspect that all or most of these individuals know what happened and where the remains were deposited.

But all in all you have a good handle on the essence of the case.

I believe but do not know that the police know who the perpetrator was but do not have sufficient evidence to produce an indictment by the prosecutor's office. The perpetrator is not necessarily the person or persons who carried out the actual murders.

The bottom line is that it will probably take a confession or a new witness to surface and spill the beans.

I had forgotten about the Greene County jail inmate's letter which was addressed to the McCall's but mailed to 1717.

There was also the letter from "Tin Foil Hat Man" mailed to SPD sealed in tin foil supposedly so that the Illuminati, CIA, or FBI (take your pick) wouldn't be able to read it thru the envelope.

48 HRS following LE on the tip to search the rent controlled apartments; interviewing the resident mom's and children in the back yard all indicate that this was a human interest slant on the story with plenty of filler.

Why else would that stuff be used in the story when there were weeks worth of time to investigate and report on the case and leave the filler on the cutting room floor?

I just learned about this case on Disappeared shown on the OWN network. I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. I contacted 48 Hours in hopes of getting a copy of their program on the case, but it is no longer available. It was on Youtube, but not anymore. If anyone has an extra copy, I would be grateful if I could buy it from you. My e-mail is mickfan2000@yahoo.com. Thanks!

The 48 Hours episode is titled "Have you seen them?". It originally aired on September 2, 1992. I can't find it online anywhere (youtube, google, etc) or for sale anywhere (ebay, etc). Mind you, if it was offered for sale right after it first aired, then it was probably VHS- as DVD wasn't prevalent at that time. Maybe someone will show up on this forum who has a copy- or a copy of a copy.

I do like watching the documentary's about 3MW, but I do realize they edit and revise according to audience appeal- so facts may be slanted or skewed or not mentioned. I, unfortunately, have never seen the 48 Hours episode- but I have seen Vanished and Disappeared.

What I find enlightening, is watching and reading the very earliest news reports about this case from 1992. There are several of these videos on youtube and articles on google. They show the outside and inside of the house and go over information from the very earliest days of the investigation. It also helps me to view the case from the perspective of 1992, rather than from our more technically advanced era (cell phones, internet, etc).

Hurricane, families and friends of missing people are always grateful to the media for doing another story or broadcast of their loved ones in hopes of raising awareness of the case. It brings another round of leads for LE to check out. I'm not sure why you have so much disrespect for the broadcast programs on this case. Do the media make mistakes? Definitely. I did not see 48 Hours, Vanished, or any other program regarding this case other than Disappeared. It seemed well done. I was unable to find the police report or any other documents because they are no longer available so it's hard to determine the facts of this case. I am still reading the threads on this board, and I'm very grateful there is Websleuths to discuss this case. Regarding the media, though, it seems they have done a pretty good job reporting this case. I spent hours reading newspaper articles that are posted on this site and I find them to be very insightful.

Thanks so much, Auramyst, for looking for the video for me. I am also on a message board "FindJodi.com" regarding the missing anchorwoman, Jodi Huisentruit. I posted a message on that board asking for a copy of the 20/20 episode on the case. I was surprised that the message board administrators contacted ABC to ask if they could post the video on the message board, and it was approved! Very cool. Someone also burned me a copy and sent it, which was very nice. I realize the 48 Hours episode was a long time ago. But I am bummed out that CBS told me they could not sell me anything from their archives. I wonder if they realize they could make a good chunk of change by making such items available? A lot of interest out there on older cases. Thanks again for your efforts! Anyone know if Unsolved Mysteries or Cold case Files did anything on this case?

Thanks so much, Auramyst, for looking for the video for me. I am also on a message board "FindJodi.com" regarding the missing anchorwoman, Jodi Huisentruit. I posted a message on that board asking for a copy of the 20/20 episode on the case. I was surprised that the message board administrators contacted ABC to ask if they could post the video on the message board, and it was approved! Very cool. Someone also burned me a copy and sent it, which was very nice. I realize the 48 Hours episode was a long time ago. But I am bummed out that CBS told me they could not sell me anything from their archives. I wonder if they realize they could make a good chunk of change by making such items available? A lot of interest out there on older cases. Thanks again for your efforts! Anyone know if Unsolved Mysteries or Cold case Files did anything on this case?

Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted also profiled this case.

I do know where a DVD is at but I don't know if I can obtain a duplicate for you. I'll look into it but I wouldn't put too much stock in it as a source of information. Some of the scenes in it have been shown on other programs. I've watched it about 25-30 times myself and remember most of what was in the program.

Hurricane pretty much summed up the value of the program. I concur.

You're welcome :) I wish it was available somewhere.

I agree that they could make some money by selling the episodes on the cold cases. I would definitely buy the episodes of this case and some other cold cases.

It's wonderful that ABC allowed the video to be posted on your other forum. Too bad the other networks don't do the same thing.

Good luck on your research into this sad and baffling case. We're glad you're here! :)

Hurricane, families and friends of missing people are always grateful to the media for doing another story or broadcast of their loved ones in hopes of raising awareness of the case. It brings another round of leads for LE to check out. I'm not sure why you have so much disrespect for the broadcast programs on this case. Do the media make mistakes? Definitely. I did not see 48 Hours, Vanished, or any other program regarding this case other than Disappeared. It seemed well done. I was unable to find the police report or any other documents because they are no longer available so it's hard to determine the facts of this case. I am still reading the threads on this board, and I'm very grateful there is Websleuths to discuss this case. Regarding the media, though, it seems they have done a pretty good job reporting this case. I spent hours reading newspaper articles that are posted on this site and I find them to be very insightful.

Fullmoon, I'm not interested in such programs for their human interest slant or entertainment value. I'm only interested in any evidentiary value they may offer. If you have the chance to see the short trailer for "Vanished" you would quickly realize their slant is the Cox parking garage and getting it dug. I'm not interested in being spoon fed "facts" & innuendos that they have spun likely for maximum shock value and TV ratings. I would prefer just an honest reporting of the true facts of the case. I'm capable of making my own conclusions from there.

Fullmoon, I am pretty confident in the N-L's reporting of the facts in this case, especially during the early weeks when they got their information from the daily press conferences held by SPD. Most of the anniversary reviews have just been a rehashing of previous published accounts with little if any new facts added. Anyone who was expecting more than that from the most recent 20th year anniversary has to be disappointed.

Don't confuse these TV shows as news programs or documentaries because they are not.

I would prefer just an honest reporting of the true facts of the case.

I understand the frustration about little if any information coming from LE regarding a cold case. I don't believe LE should keep any information from the public. I'm for full disclosure, i.e., transcripts of interviews, releasing information that is under seal, particularly on a case that is 20 years old now. It might just help solve the case. Without any new information, you have rehashing of the old and are adding little to the discussion to keep this case alive. But I think the broadcasts of the case, even though they don't add anything new, still bring in new leads, something the families of the missing women welcome. I think the broadcasts may seem lame to some because there is little information on the facts. But unfortunately, the media is only reflecting what little information LE will give to them, hence, some of the filler.

You brought up the Jodi Huisentruit case. There is a very nebulous link to this case. Probably slim to none but I will throw it out for you to chew on. Three years ago there was an individual by the name of Chris Revak who hanged himself in the Douglas county jail where he was suspected in the disappearance and murder of a lady bartender there. There was speculation at the time that he may have been a serial killer. He was a good looking young man, a paramedic and his co-workers found it hard to believe he could do such a thing.

If you check into his background I believe you will find links to Battlefield, Missouri (although don't confuse with a relative of his) and to the town in Iowa where Ms. Huisentruit went missing. Going on memory here, I believe his ex wife lived nearby.

Now where this gets intersting is that some poster claimed that he saw Revak talking to Suzie the night she went missing. He claimed he saw them on the corner of Delmar and Glenstone near her home. Said he looked right into this person's eyes and was convinced that this was Revak. Is there anything to this story? Don't know, but in view of the fact that we know so few hard facts about the case I wouldn't rule it out of hand. Revak would have been 19 years old in 1992.

Thought I would throw that out for you if you are interested in looking into that angle. This may help you if you want to read more.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/08/christopher_revak_emt_serial_k.php

I understand the frustration about little if any information coming from LE regarding a cold case. I don't believe LE should keep any information from the public. I'm for full disclosure, i.e., transcripts of interviews, releasing information that is under seal, particularly on a case that is 20 years old now. It might just help solve the case. Without any new information, you have rehashing of the old and are adding little to the discussion to keep this case alive. But I think the broadcasts of the case, even though they don't add anything new, still bring in new leads, something the families of the missing women welcome. I think the broadcasts may seem lame to some because there is little information on the facts. But unfortunately, the media is only reflecting what little information LE will give to them, hence, some of the filler.

I have no frustration concerning what little information and evidence LE has released to the public. I understand why Moore clamped down on the flow of information coming out after the 48 HRS program first aired (the quality of the program and some of the misinformation from it might have contributed in his decision). The public has no right to know. If this case ever comes into court I don't want to see it lost because of something said on an internet forum somewhere.

I do believe Janis McCall has recently been told by SPD the essence of the case and what it will take to obtain a conviction in a court of law. That seems to have brought her some peace of mind and perhaps some patience to see this thru. As I have said before, I believe this case is solved.

I have no frustration concerning what little information and evidence LE has released to the public. I understand why Moore clamped down on the flow of information coming out after the 48 HRS program first aired (the quality of the program and some of the misinformation from it might have contributed in his decision). The public has no right to know. If this case ever comes into court I don't want to see it lost because of something said on an internet forum somewhere.

I do believe Janis McCall has recently been told by SPD the essence of the case and what it will take to obtain a conviction in a court of law. That seems to have brought her some peace of mind and perhaps some patience to see this thru. As I have said before, I believe this case is solved.

I'm pleased to hear that Janis McCall has been given some peace of mind. That poor lady and her family have lived a nightmare for more than 20 years.

Do you believe the case was solved recently? Or do you believe it was solved during the beginning of the investigation?

Stacy called Janis to tell her she was staying at Janelle's for the night. Janell's mother knew they were planning on spending the night- she had pallets made for Suzy and Stacy in the living room. So, we know that Stacy and Janelle both told their mother's they were not going to Branson that night.

Did Suzy call Sherrill?

I would hazard a guess that 'yes', Suzy would have called her mother to let her know that their plans had changed. According to all accounts, Suzy and Sherrill were close and it's likely that if Stacy and Janelle were calling/talking to their mothers, then Suzy would most certainly have tried to contact hers.

Janis says Stacy called around 10:30. Sherrill was on the phone with a friend at 9:30. Did Suzy try to call and the line was busy? Did Suzy call and leave a message on the machine? Or did Suzy call and get through to her mother? If so, then Sherrill knew they weren't going to Branson. Sherrill might have suggested that Stacy stay at their house for the night, rather than adding two more people to the amount of guests at Janell's.

If Sherrill knew they weren't going to Branson, and even if Sherrill thought the girls were staying at Janelle's, she (Sherrill) would have known that there was a possibility that Suzy (and possibly Stacy) might be coming home for the night.

Sherrill might have more readily answered a knock on the door- expecting to see the girls (locked out or forgotten key), if Sherrill went to bed, and fell asleep, then she might have dismissed 'unusual' sounds in the house and attributed them to the girls coming home, etc, etc

She also might mention it to any late night visitors- if the perp was a 'friend' who 'happened' to stop by for some reason.

Maybe a minor detail, but one that could have implications on how events of the evening unfolded.

The public has no right to know. If this case ever comes into court I don't want to see it lost because of something said on an internet forum somewhere.

I'm sure it's a matter of style on how much LE wants to divulge to the public on cold cases. I think the public should receive updates regarding the status of the case without it being compromised by details, i.e., suspects, particularly a case like this that has been cold for 20 years. I don't expect LE to release a list of possible suspects to the public. They could answer some questions, however, to keep ongoing interest in the case in hopes of getting it solved. I doubt a case would be lost because of something said on an Internet forum somewhere. After 20 years, I would hope LE would trust the public enough to release some information that could help jog a memory and solve this case.

The public has no right to know. If this case ever comes into court I don't want to see it lost because of something said on an internet forum somewhere.

I'm sure it's a matter of style on how much LE wants to divulge to the public on cold cases. I think the public should receive updates regarding the status of the case without it being compromised by details, i.e., suspects, particularly a case like this that has been cold for 20 years. I don't expect LE to release a list of possible suspects to the public. They could answer some questions, however, to keep ongoing interest in the case in hopes of getting it solved. I doubt a case would be lost because of something said on an Internet forum somewhere. After 20 years, I would hope LE would trust the public enough to release some information that could help jog a memory and solve this case.

Actually, they did release some information that we didn't previously have. They made it clear that there is one sole male individual whose whereabouts are unaccounted for during the time from about 9 PM to 6 AM the next morning. They want someone to talk to them about this person. I have read about everything ever published about this case and can never remember that they were this specific. From what I gather this person is not one of the "usual suspects" that have been discussed.

Actually, they did release some information that we didn't previously have. They made it clear that there is one sole male individual whose whereabouts are unaccounted for during the time from about 9 PM to 6 AM the next morning. They want someone to talk to them about this person. I have read about everything ever published about this case and can never remember that they were this specific. From what I gather this person is not one of the "usual suspects" that have been discussed.

In some ways that’s a little encouraging. It would appear that at least some in the investigation are willing to look ‘outside the box,’ and put their biases/prejudices aside from being overly familiar with the case and individuals involved. I was also encouraged recently by ‘new technology’ analyzing old evidence, getting good hard evidence in a case mostly of ‘he said/she said/they said,’ is nice.

I hear from some here that ‘the case is solved.’ Great...but that means nothing. There’s a pesky little detail of proving it in a court of law, unless the State is given a gift of an outright confession. I agree with the State holding cards close to its vest, and keeping information regulated. But, the suspect protests his innocents, I don’t care if he is the scum of the earth and the State’s witnesses are angels and saints. Means nothing. You have to convince a dispassionate, detached jury with the facts challenged, analyzed and cross examined. You can cut through all this and right to the chase some systems do, China and some countries in the Middle East come to mind, I prefer ours thank you.

In some ways that’s a little encouraging. It would appear that at least some in the investigation are willing to look ‘outside the box,’ and put their biases/prejudices aside from being overly familiar with the case and individuals involved. I was also encouraged recently by ‘new technology’ analyzing old evidence, getting good hard evidence in a case mostly of ‘he said/she said/they said,’ is nice.

I hear from some here that ‘the case is solved.’ Great...but that means nothing. There’s a pesky little detail of proving it in a court of law, unless the State is given a gift of an outright confession. I agree with the State holding cards close to its vest, and keeping information regulated. But, the suspect protests his innocents, I don’t care if he is the scum of the earth and the State’s witnesses are angels and saints. Means nothing. You have to convince a dispassionate, detached jury with the facts challenged, analyzed and cross examined. You can cut through all this and right to the chase some systems do, China and some countries in the Middle East come to mind, I prefer ours thank you.

That's why arrests have not been made, charges have not been filed, and the case brought into a court of law. Cases are solved all the time but never officially closed because overwelming evidence is just not there to convince a jury of 12 (much easier to obtain a conviction in a civil lawsuit where one jurist can't hang the jury). I too am hopeful that new technology can produce suitable results from the forensic evidence if it was collected and stored properly. Without the additional evidence they seek there is no hurry to take their chance at a conviction. If no further evidence is ever developed then the PA at some time in the future will be forced to take his best shot with the evidence he has. I think that is a part of what has been explained to the McCalls. In the meantime the investigation continues for additional evidence that would make this case and get a conviction.

Most of this "out of the box" stuff and tipsters claiming they weren't taken seriously by LE stems from lies and rumors that have been looked into by LE hundreds of times over the past 20 yrs. Not knowing versions of their tip have already been looked into numerous times before the tipster feels slighted because not enough attention was paid to something he/she strongly believes in. And thus starts another round of the cops are dirty or the cops aren't doing their job talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23