Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met Beth Karas in person and chatted with her for about 20 min or so during verdict watch for the Jason Young trial. Very sweet woman, and down-to-earth. I was excited since I had watched her during the Scott Peterson trial. We talked curly hair versus straight hair. I told her I really liked her curly hairstyles; she said the network insists on a sleeker/straighter style. I think the original CourtTV brass was much less "corporate" than the current configuration of execs.

Sounds like Brodsky is attacking Kathleen rather than discussing the lack of evidence, even saying that DP called Kathleen a "madwoman".

Talking heads are miffed by his opening.

Saying DP alluded that they had been getting along just before her death....bleeehh

I'm so torn between watching the Olympics and the updates of the trial. I had to get a crash course from DH on recording. I can't say how many events I have in the queue. lol

Yeah I knew he would attack Kathleen. :banghead:

Drew is a good person and wants to help people that is why he became a police officer. :pinocchio: :puke:

I already have a sinking feeling..............and it is just a few hours in..........

I'm so torn between watching the Olympics and the updates of the trial. I had to get a crash course from DH on recording. I can't say how many events I have in the queue. lol

we have 2 TV's going...LOL

Beth Karas InSession
5 minutes ago via Mobile
So many objections during each side's opening statements. Peterson's attorney, Joel Brodsky, spent a lot of time trashing the victim, Kathleen Savio, as a hotheaded "madwoman."

Prosecutor James Glasgow didn’t mince words in his opening statement Tuesday in the Drew Peterson murder trial. He told the jury that Peterson murdered Kathleen Savio and "staged" her death to make it look like an accident.

"Drew Peterson and Kathleen Savio married in 1992," Glasgow said. "The marriage was not very eventful until 2002, when Drew Peterson began an affair with Stacy Cales."

The prosecutor said Peterson ran into money troubles.

"The defendant's financial crisis consisted of two houses he had to maintain. There was a series of incidents related directly to financial setbacks and physical retaliation by the defendant." Glasgow said. "The evidence will show that on March 1, 2004, Kathleen Savio's lifeless body was found in her bathtub ... Kathleen Savio was murdered, and it was staged to look like an accident."

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/07/31/prosecutor-peterson-made-it-look-accident?hpt=ts1

Beth Karas InSession
5 minutes ago via Mobile
So many objections during each side's opening statements. Peterson's attorney, Joel Brodsky, spent a lot of time trashing the victim, Kathleen Savio, as a hotheaded "madwoman."

Why would they have to portray her as a 'madwoman' if she just accidentally drowned in her bathtub?

Beth Karas InSession
Brodsky explains that this was an accident. Period. She drowned. There's no evidence of murder.

Def-No weapon found. No evvidence Drew was inside. Kathy slipped and fell, hitting her head in a household accident and drowned. Case closed.

Defense:

8 minutes ago via Mobile ·
In Session ‎"Like all divorces, this one came to an end… It was a bifurcated divorced… They were actually getting along… things are calmed down, coming toward an end." The divorce case is continued twice, to April 6, 2004. "Kathy is not saying anything about Drew threatening to kill her…it's just all about money. Drew wanted to keep as much money as possible, and Kathy wanted to get as much money as possible."

In Session Brodsky now moves to the weekend of Savio's death. He notes that Kathleen and her boyfriend had sex that weekend; despite earlier plans to get together Saturday night, her boyfriend begs off. "Kathy wants him to come over; she wants to discuss marriage. He's not ready to discuss marriage. The call ends about midnight, and that's the last time anybody hears from Kathy Savio."

In Session According to Brodsky, Drew Peterson is home on that Saturday, "surrounded by people" (including Stacy). He attempts to drop his sons off at Savio's house on Sunday night, but gets no answer. Because it's a holiday weekend, he keeps the kids on Monday, thinking he's supposed to. But when he tries to drop them off on Monday, there is again no answer. "Now he's getting worried."
24 minutes ago ·

In Session “Going into the house that Monday was not Drew's idea; it was Mary Pontarelli's idea." So Drew calls a locksmith. "Why call the police? Drew IS the police. He's just doing his job."

In Session Brodsky: Bolingbrook police are contacted, who defer to the Illinois State Police. They see no signs of foul play…just to be extra careful, they bagged her hands. There's a full and proper autopsy…the cause of death is undisputed; the cause of death is drowning.

17 minutes ago via Mobile ·
In Session The coroner's autopsy notes indicate that Savio may have fallen. A toxicology report came back negative. A coroner's jury found the manner of death was "accident . . . and the case was closed . . . nobody did or said anything to contest that finding. The reason is because it was an accident. There's no witness to foul play, no murder weapon, no crime scene, no sign of forced entry, no sign of a struggle. The bathroom was in perfect order . . . there is not one shred of evidence that Drew Peterson or anyone else was in that house. Why? Because this was a household accident."

11 minutes ago ·

In Session ‎"What happened in the bathtub? Nobody was there, so nobody can tell us. The State will say Drew Peterson snuck in there and drowned her. . . (but) she died in the middle of the morning; who's going to sneak around in
black at 10:00 Sunday morning?"

9 minutes ago ·
In Session Brodsky concedes that interest in the case revived after Stacy went missing. He notes that the body was exhumed, and ridiculed the autopsy conducted by Dr. Michael Baden on "FOX Entertainment News . . . of course Dr. Baden's going to say it's a homicide, because if it's an accident there's no story."

5 minutes ago via Mobile
In Session Brodsky now ridicules attorney Harry Smith, who he claims came forward "only after the media circus started . . . it was good for business, free advertising." He also dismisses Sue and Anna Doman, Kathy Savio's sisters, for not originally coming forward with the claims they later made.

https://www.facebook.com/InSession

8 minutes ago ·
In Session ‎"There's another person, Neil Shori. He'll testify that Drew told Stacy to lie for him. Where does he tell that story? On the Greta Van Susteren Show." This prompts an objection, and leads to a brief sidebar.

In Session Finally, let's talk about the science here. Forensics are not an exact science . . . it's an art, not a science . . . Kathy Savio was not a healthy person." (He names a long list of afflictions he claims she suffered). "She also was treated for mental illnesses" (and lists medications she was taking). "She was not a healthy person . . .the State's theory that healthy people don't drown in the bathtub is not valid, because Kathleen Savio was not healthy."
2 minutes ago ·

In Session Brodsky describes the three pathologists he claims the defense will call, and claims all three will say this death was accidental. "In conclusion, we're going to hear in this case what I call urban legend. . . nothing but myth, rumor, innuendo, and hearsay. But you have to deal in facts, and when you do, you'll see that my client is exactly what he is: not guilty."

The defense’s opening statement ends. Judge Burmila calls the lunch recess at this time. The trial will resume at 2:15 ET.

https://www.facebook.com/InSession

Talking heads all agree the Defense is on a slippery slope by trashing Kathleen so much.

I hate that this trial is not being streamed at least online. Boo hiss!

Beth Karas InSession
Brodsky dismisses several of the State's potential witnesses, including Savio's sisters for not coming forward with their claims that Savio feared Drew. (But Susan Doman did testify before the coroner's jury about her sister's fear.)

Beth Karas InSession
Brodsky makes fun of the State's contention that the motive for murder was money--the upcoming division of marital assets.

Beth Karas InSession
Brodsky concedes there was renewed interest in Savio's death after Stacy went missing.

Beth Karas InSession
Brodsky explains that this was an accident. Period. She drowned. There's no evidence of murder.

https://www.facebook.com/BethKarasInsession

Update: Mistrial Nearly Declared in Peterson Murder Trial

Updated 11 a.m.

It looked like there was nearly a mistrial after Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow brought up the co-worker Drew Peterson allegedly offered $25,000 to orchestrate a hit on his third wife Kathleen Savio.

Glasgow failed to disclose to the defense he was going to use that evidence. This was a big part of the prosecution's case and they now can't use it at trial. Peterson's defense team moved for a mistrial.

There was a long argument, but the judge denied the motion. Prosecutors will still be hampered going forward.

http://bolingbrook.patch.com/articles/drew-peterson-trial-begins-tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members