Dina Shacknai wants Max's death reopened; gives ICU pic to media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dina's press conference from 7/16 -

"Some of the information Rebecca provided me at the time was inaccurate, such as her current legal name and the fact that she had a previous criminal record. Not wanting to go back to the courts, I sat down with Jonah to see what we could do to help me feel more comfortable with having Max to be around Rebecca. While I requested Max never be left alone with Rebecca, I did finally concede that Max not be left alone with Rebecca if she were with any of her other family members. And as we know this was the case on the day of my sons death."

http://www.kpho.com/story/19033070/mother-to-talk-about-sons-death-1-year-later

"Some of the information Rebecca provided me at the time was inaccurate, such as her current legal name and the fact that she had a previous criminal record. Not wanting to go back to the courts, I sat down with Jonah to see what we could do to help me feel more comfortable with having Max to be around Rebecca. While I requested Max never be left alone with Rebecca, I did finally concede that Max not be left alone with Rebecca if she were with any of her other family members. And as we know this was the case on the day of my sons death."

This I find very peculiar. If she had concerns about Rebecca, what did her family members have to do with any of it?

Because she was feeling rejected by JS and she was banned from the hospital, he did not stand up for her, and she may have been told by JS that he blamed her.

Also, what if something happened that day, not her fault, but she felt she had to cover for someone else? Would that all be too much for her?

IF she was covering for someone, would it not be feasible that same person might want to silence her?

In my opinion this article appears to point to a disagreement between Bove and Melinek.

Melinek said that Max’s injuries were inconsistent with a fall and “it would be more accurate to certify that manner (of death) as a homicide.”

Bove said that Melinek proposed a scenario in which Max was assaulted, resulting in his facial and forehead injuries, with his back then contacting the stair railing.

Hallier said “an assault scenario is the only scenario that Dr. Bone and Dr. Melinek, in collaborative consultation, could identify that accounts for the multiple planes of injuries on Max’s body and the scene findings.”

However, Bove said he had "not taken a position" as to whether the incident that resulted in Max's injuries was intentional.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...ible-homicide/

Well, this seems huge to me if one of the experts is saying the "Summary Report" circulated does not accurately represent his opinion. If you look back at that report, it cites Bove's large report far more times that Melinek, but we have not seen either of their actual reports. What we are seeing, I believe, is what the attorney put together. For all we know at this point, it could be a cut and paste hack job on what Bove reported and left out the context. It also sounds to me like he was asked to prove Melinek's theory of assault ... "Melinek proposed a scenario in which Max was assaulted, resulting in his facial and forehead injuries, with his back then contacting the stair railing."

Since Bove clearly states he had not come to that conclusion, then the attorneys claim that this was based on the science is bogus. At most, it sounds like Dr. Melinek should have said she thought Max's death should be undetermined, not a homicide.

I hope we get to see the full and original reports from both Dr. Melinek and Dr. Bove.

IF she was covering for someone, would it not be feasible that same person might want to silence her?

Possibly. But hypothetically, if that person she was covering for was very young and out of state, it would be highly doubtful.

This I find very peculiar. If she had concerns about Rebecca, what did her family members have to do with any of it?

It sounds like she had some concerns about the family dynamics.

I was so busy looking for it and my internet was stiffled that I didn't see you already found it! Why is she putting this out there with no indication of why she would request this nor any time frame.

What I realized is also odd about this is that it would include any children Jonah and Rebecca had together.

It would also mean that it would be difficult for Rebecca to have her family visit and get to know Max because any of their schedules and Rebecca's would have to be coordinated with Jonah absolutely being home every minute.

I believe it is in this video that Dina states something different about her agreement with Jonah where Max would not be allowed to be alone with Rebecca if her family is there:

I keep finding reference to her actually making that statement and they seem to go back to this link.

Time - I provided the quote you're looking for a few posts up. I should have responded by quoting your post. My apologies.

I was so busy looking for it and my internet was stiffled that I didn't see you already found it! Why is she putting this out there with no indication of why she would request this nor any time frame.

What I realized is also odd about this is that it would include any children Jonah and Rebecca had together.

It would also mean that it would be difficult for Rebecca to have her family visit and get to know Max because any of their schedules and Rebecca's would have to be coordinated with Jonah absolutely being home every minute.

Well, assuming this request was made, it sure doesn't look like Jonah was following it.
Frankly, explanation Dina gave during the press conference didn't make much sense. She had issues with Rebecca's background, so why would it be o'key for Rebecca to be alone with Max, but not if members of her family were also present?

Unless he hired a nanny to be with the kids at that time, to oversee things.

I think it may have indicated that she was concerned that there was friction within the attempted 'blending' of the family.

Well, this seems huge to me if one of the experts is saying the "Summary Report" circulated does not accurately represent his opinion. If you look back at that report, it cites Bove's large report far more times that Melinek, but we have not seen either of their actual reports. What we are seeing, I believe, is what the attorney put together. For all we know at this point, it could be a cut and paste hack job on what Bove reported and left out the context. It also sounds to me like he was asked to prove Melinek's theory of assault ... "Melinek proposed a scenario in which Max was assaulted, resulting in his facial and forehead injuries, with his back then contacting the stair railing."

Since Bove clearly states he had not come to that conclusion, then the attorneys claim that this was based on the science is bogus. At most, it sounds like Dr. Melinek should have said she thought Max's death should be undetermined, not a homicide.

I hope we get to see the full and original reports from both Dr. Melinek and Dr. Bove.

Huh? The original reports are in the link. The doctor stated her opinion was homicide.

Bove concluded the evidence does not support Gomez's theory but it does support Melinek's theory of an assault. For example, there is no explanation in Gomez's theory for the scooter coming to rest on top of MS. He cites many more examples.

JMO

Well, assuming this request was made, it sure doesn't look like Jonah was following it.
Frankly, explanation Dina gave during the press conference didn't make much sense. She had issues with Rebecca's background, so why would it be o'key for Rebecca to be alone with Max, but not if members of her family were also present?

Exactly ... I'm surprised no one asked her about it, but there is still time because it is now on videotape.

Frankly, explanation Dina gave during the press conference didn't make much sense. She had issues with Rebecca's background, so why would it be o'key for Rebecca to be alone with Max, but not if members of her family were also present?[/QUOTE]

Maybe she had found reason the believe there was a family dynamic which involved friction or dysfunction when it concerned RZ's NEW family. Maybe some of her relatives were not thrilled with her upcoming marriage and NEW family. Why else would DS ask for something like this?

In the absence of a mechanism to raise Maxfield Shacknai’s center of gravity, no events or actions involving only Maxfield Shacknai and initiated at floor level, including those that involved riding the scooter, could be identified that were consistent with all aspects of the incident scene and would result in an accidental fall to the first floor.

Judy Melinek, M.D., has proposed a scenario in which Maxfield Shacknai was assaulted while on the second floor, which resulted in his body moving over the railing and falling to the first floor. The kinematics associated with the scenario put forth by Dr. Melinek provide biomechanical mechanisms for all of Maxfield Shacknai’s injuries and are consistent with the aspects of the incident scene.

http://media.utsandiego.com/news/documents/2012/08/06/Dr.Bove_Report.pdf

I think Dina's focus wasn't what was convenient for her ex's girlfriend but rather than what was in the best interest for MS's well-being. If you read Bove's report, he mentions an interview with RZ's sister who told LE that Max had demonstrated the scooter in the upstairs hallway. When the interviewer noted the scooter would have been on carpet, she said he rode it slowly, which does not fit with Gomez's theory that it was accidentally propelled over the railing. Dr. Bove seemed to have lotsa doubts about her story.

JMO

I am rereading the Summary Report, although, quite frankly even with a science background, I'm not sure how far I will get.

It seems Dr. Judy Melinek is making just 3 or 4 basic claims. One of them that is made over and over to try to say this was an assault instead of an accident are the number of "planes of injury" and that the more planes of injury the more likely it is an assault. I briefly tried to look up any literature about this, but didn't find much worth citing yet.

My question about all of this is if you would expect more planes of injury if...

1. there is a more complex accident involving multiple objects
2. you possibly can't say whether there were some injuries that were not a result of an assault, but were fairly recent - he was a boy!
3. if you come into contact with some unusual object like a chandelier which itself has multiple planes

I think #3 is the one that is bothering me the most. If you were tangled up in some object like a chandelier and presumably it fell on you or you fell on it or both, with both your body and the object tumbling around - let alone somehow there is a scooter involved also, might you to expect to have more planes of injury?

Possibly. But hypothetically, if that person she was covering for was very young and out of state, it would be highly doubtful.

I agree with your hypothetical. Considering both families are now questioning the original investigations, it is logical to deduce some things are just not right. It even appears the attorneys for both families have not concluded who committed these alleged murders. Bremner and Hallier both commented they were leaving this part up to LE. One using semantics, but I digress. There may be a whole different pool of suspects. Hypothetically leaving it feasible for a person who did not leave the state to silence a person that was covering up for an assault they committed.

7/14/2011 Det. Adkins was requested to respond to Children's Hospital in regard to a pending Protective Services Report that was going to be filed by Jessica Robershaw, Children's Hospital Social Worker.

Warrant 41290 - http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/warrant_41290.pdf

"But Dina Shacknai said doctors treating Max were immediately suspicious of his injuries and contacted Child Protective Services, which she said launched a probe and then dropped it once the medical examiner ruled the death an accident. "

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/0...son-likely-homicide-independent-report-finds/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43