The 1998 Investigation

BigCat

Reaction score
I think the 98 investigation deserves its own thread. There are so many unanswered questions about the investigation. For instance, I still cannot find any confirmation of who exactly sent Seascock to interview victim 6.

Investigation of Sandusky in 1998 Raises Questions

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sports/ncaafootball/aftermath-of-1998-sandusky-investigation-raises-additional-questions.html

Questions about that investigation abound: Who was interviewed? Who received the report? If the case was shut down, was Sandusky sanctioned in some way?

Seasock was brought in by C & YS, against Arnold's advice. By that time, however, they had Chambers' report.

Seasock was brought in by C & YS, against Arnold's advice. By that time, however, they had Chambers' report.

But how could the DPW investigator not get the report from a evaluator brought in by C&YS?

Different department, and I could not state definitely that the DA's Office got it.

Ok. I see. Here's where I'm confused: I thought Lauro's supervisor ordered the evaluation be done without delay. At least that's what the police report stated. Am I correct?

Ok. I see. Here's where I'm confused: I thought Lauro's supervisor ordered the evaluation be done without delay. At least that's what the police report stated. Am I correct?

Miller, at C&YS, made the arrangements and brought in Seasock. He called Victim 6's mother.

5/7/98, Arnold tells Schreffler to hold off the psych evaluation.

5/8/98:

11:20 AM: Schreffler calls Miller, who says his involvement in the case was limited to setting up the appointment with Seasock [not identified at that time]. Appointment set by Miller for noon.

11:40 AM: Schreffler calls Lauro. Lauro has no problem with the delay, but he should talk with Miller.

11:50 AM: Schreffler calls Miller, tell him of Lauro's contact. "..it was decided that it would be delayed."

[I think there is a typo in the time]

11:57 AM: Schreffler calls Victim 6's mother and tell her appointment is cancelled.

11:55 AM: Lauro calls, tells Schreffler that Lauro's supervisor gave the go ahead and that Miller would call the mother.

12:30 PM: Lauro picks up the Chambers' Report.

01:10 PM: Mother calls Schreffler, confused.

01:20 PM: Mother calls, tells Schreffler that the appoint is scheduled at 2:00 PM.

I think it is fairly likely that Miller was pushing for the interview, and either called Lauro, or his supervisor. Miller was pushing for that interview.

Miller, at C&YS, made the arrangements and brought in Seasock. He called Victim 6's mother.

5/7/98, Arnold tells Schreffler to hold off the psych evaluation.

5/8/98:

11:20 AM: Schreffler calls Miller, who says his involvement in the case was limited to setting up the appointment with Seasock [not identified at that time]. Appointment set by Miller for noon.

11:40 AM: Schreffler calls Lauro. Lauro has no problem with the delay, but he should talk with Miller.

11:50 AM: Schreffler calls Miller, tell him of Lauro's contact. "..it was decided that it would be delayed."

[I think there is a typo in the time]

11:57 AM: Schreffler calls Victim 6's mother and tell her appointment is cancelled.

11:55 AM: Lauro calls, tells Schreffler that Lauro's supervisor gave the go ahead and that Miller would call the mother.

12:30 PM: Lauro picks up the Chambers' Report.

01:10 PM: Mother calls Schreffler, confused.

01:20 PM: Mother calls, tells Schreffler that the appoint is scheduled at 2:00 PM.

I think it is fairly likely that Miller was pushing for the interview, and either called Lauro, or his supervisor. Miller was pushing for that interview.

Thanks for the timeline. I can't find anything on John Miller. I'm just curious if he's a local. I did learn that Miller is a prominent name in Centre County (The current DA and a previous DA both were named Miller), so he could be from the area.

Perhaps there's the possibility that the locals conspired to "freeze out" the outsider, Lauro. Perhaps they even considered Gricar an outsider.

Of course, it could just be standard bureaucratic incompetence. I believe you wrote that you're retired from PA DPW and that you wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Per BigCat's request, I am bringing over a link to my post on the Gricar thread. Hope I'm doing this correctly. :D

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8260651&postcount=598"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #9[/ame]

Thanks to BigCat for starting this thread!

wm

Per BigCat's request, I am bringing over a link to my post on the Gricar thread. Hope I'm doing this correctly. :D

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #9

Thanks to BigCat for starting this thread!

wm

Thanks wm! I thought the writer of the original article did some nice investigative journalism. Paterno had an opportunity to address his actions in 98 when he was interviewed by Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post. Here's what he said:

Paterno insists he was completely unaware of a 1998 police investigation into a report from a Second Mile mother that Sandusky had inappropriately touched her son in a shower. The inquiry ended when the local prosecutor declined to bring charges. “You know it wasn’t like it was something everybody in the building knew about,” Paterno said. “Nobody knew about it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/joe-paternos-first-interview-since-the-penn-state-sandusky-scandal/2012/01/13/gIQA08e4yP_story.html

He lied. Why?

Curley was asked during his grand jury testimony if he was aware of the 98 investigation. He stated he was not aware of the investigation, at least not in 98. It's unclear if he denied knowing about it in 2001. But, again, he lied. Why?

Gary Schultz claimed he was unaware that there was ever a criminal investigation...in 2011! How could he not know the University police investigated the allegation in 98 when he was, supposedly, the police commissioner. In addition, he reviewed the file on the case and met with Harmon in 2001. And yet his reponse to the prosecutor telling him that the University police investigated the allegation was "Wow." How is that possible?

During the Curley/Schultz preliminary hearing, Harmon denied any knowledge of the two psychologists involved in the evaluation of the boy (there was actually only one certified psychologist.) We know from the emails in the Freeh report this is not true. Why the lapse in memory?

Lauro claimed he never knew about the Seascock or Chambers report. How is that possible? He claims he would have pressed the case further if he had known about them.

And, of course, there is Ray Gricar, who is not around to answer any questions about the 98 investigation.

Why are so many people claiming ignorance about the 98 investigation?

Thanks wm! I thought the writer of the original article did some nice investigative journalism. Paterno had an opportunity to address his actions in 98 when he was interviewed by Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post. Here's what he said:

He lied. Why?

The interesting thing was that he said that he might have heard something about Sandusky and another incident (1998, probably) in his grand jury testimony.

Curley was asked during his grand jury testimony if he was aware of the 98 investigation. He stated he was not aware of the investigation, at least not in 98. It's unclear if he denied knowing about it in 2001. But, again, he lied. Why?

Gary Schultz claimed he was unaware that there was ever a criminal investigation...in 2011! How could he not know the University police investigated the allegation in 98 when he was, supposedly, the police commissioner. In addition, he reviewed the file on the case and met with Harmon in 2001. And yet his reponse to the prosecutor telling him that the University police investigated the allegation was "Wow." How is that possible?

During the Curley/Schultz preliminary hearing, Harmon denied any knowledge of the two psychologists involved in the evaluation of the boy (there was actually only one certified psychologist.) We know from the emails in the Freeh report this is not true. Why the lapse in memory?

Yes, that is strange and compared to Harmon, Curley and Schultz, Paterno had a photographic memory.

Lauro claimed he never knew about the Seascock or Chambers report. How is that possible? He claims he would have pressed the case further if he had known about them.

There is no evidence that Lauro ever got either report. Arnold would be the one handling it, and she was off the case. Granted, Lauro should have been asking for both.

And, of course, there is Ray Gricar, who is not around to answer any questions about the 98 investigation.

Why are so many people claiming ignorance about the 98 investigation?

And there is no evidence Gricar was pressured or bribed not to pursue it, yet he removed his "abuse person."

And WHY did Joe Paterno coincidentally and uncharacteristically cancel his engagements and vaction during this time?

AND why does it just so happen that the dates in question are missing from the police report?

I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but we have some facts here that make me go hmmmm...

Did they all expect to 'stick with the story' while testifying before the GJ but JP told the truth? Was JP a devout Catholic? Are GJ witness sworn in on the Bible in PA? Would this compel him to drop the 'story' and tell the truth? Is this some strange coincidence?

Just thinking and typing questions? My head is spinning right now.

moo

wm

And WHY did Joe Paterno coincidentally and uncharacteristically cancel his engagements and vaction during this time?

AND why does it just so happen that the dates in question are missing from the police report?

I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but we have some facts here that make me go hmmmm...

Did they all expect to 'stick with the story' while testifying before the GJ but JP told the truth? Was JP a devout Catholic? Are GJ witness sworn in on the Bible in PA? Would this compel him to drop the 'story' and tell the truth? Is this some strange coincidence?

Just thinking and typing questions? My head is spinning right now.

moo

wm

On January 3rd, 2011, Paterno met with Cynthia Baldwin. According to Baldwin's notes, Paterno was still sticking with the "horsing around" scenario. No mention of fondling or anything sexual in nature in her notes. He eventually obtained his own legal counsel. So if there was an agreement to "stick with the story," it appears he made the decision to tell the truth after Jan 3rd. I suppose it's never too late to do the right thing.

JMO

On January 3rd, 2011, Paterno met with Cynthia Baldwin. According to Baldwin's notes, Paterno was still sticking with the "horsing around" scenario. No mention of fondling or anything sexual in nature in her notes. He eventually obtained his own legal counsel. So if there was an agreement to "stick with the story," it appears he made the decision to tell the truth after Jan 3rd. I suppose it's never too late to do the right thing.

JMO

I think he used the words "sexual nature," but both he and McQueary agree that McQueary didn't go into the details. Heck, even Dranov said the same thing regarding the night before.

What he told Baldwin and what he told the GJ might be two different things, but I'm hard pressed to find perjury in Paterno's testimony.

Schultz, on the other hand, ... .

I think he used the words "sexual nature," but both he and McQueary agree that McQueary didn't go into the details. Heck, even Dranov said the same thing regarding the night before.

What he told Baldwin and what he told the GJ might be two different things, but I'm hard pressed to find perjury in Paterno's testimony.
Schultz, on the other hand, ... .

respectfully BBM~

So am I, J. J..

However, the facts we have gathered makes me suspect if JP was pulling the strings behing the theatre curtains during the dates in question.

my opinion

wm

ETA It must have been a good reason for JP to cancel fundraising trips, which would be important for the upcoming season.

Link to Chambers' report:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/Chambers_Sandusky_Report_Redacted1.pdf

A few things of interest:....the boy had asked Sandusky if his mother could come to the games with them since she liked football too, and Sandusky said, 'no, just you'...

The boy also said, 'He's married so I don't think he meant anything'.....so there is the role of Dottie in making the boys feel comfortable with JS, AT FIRST....

One of her colleagues had 2nd Mile contact and said that JS position and 'interest in abused boys'....not children, BOYS.....should have made him aware of how his behavior would be interpreted, and that his behavior was 'a typical pedophile overture'.......

I believe this report was reviewed and covered up, either by the college police, who it was addressed to and/or Scheffler who in his contacts with Lauro apparently never mentioned it, or maybe by Harmon his boss, who was reporting to Schultz...did Schultz get it covered up? or by someone at DPW/CPS who did NOT want this assessment of JS to get out....might have endangered all their contacts and contracts with him per foster children??....

I realize there is not a lot of proof about a coverup in 1998...it LOOKS like a complete investigation was done by police, DPW, CPS and the DA and nothing found...however Chambers' report tells the lie to that..Arnold being taken off the case tells the lie to that, Lauro not asking for or getting the pertinent reports tells the lie to that...oh yes, he could have been told he didn't need to see those...there was nothing to it...just like he was told about the criminal case....and he was compliant...he caught on to the drift and didn't rock the boat....

And you know people talked to each other on the phone or in person about this case...just because there are no incriminating emails or tapes does not mean that it was not discussed and somebody, singular or plural, made a case for keeping it quiet, for the sake of DPW's, CPS's, JS's and the school's reputations and contacts...believe me...this thing was shoved under the rug and they were 'glad it was behind them'...there was probably a lot of confabing goin' on in those days that JP canceled his vaca and fundraising....

and instead of talking to, correcting JS they quietly began letting him know that he was too involved with 2nd Mile and needed to think about retiring since he would never be head coach...at least if he was only operating at 2nd Mile, it would not affect PSU or the football organization...except.....they shot themselves in the foot by giving into his demand for emeritus status and access to the facilities..

maybe they thought 1998 had taught him a lesson...he HAD agreed not to bring children there anymore.....JP had even said, no 2nd Mile children allowed....did they really believe they could trust him? once bitten, twice shy...they all thought they could control him but it blew up in their faces....

and Curley was not above threatening JS with 1998 in 2001...WE are aware of the previous situation....

IMO

And then there is the 10/13/98 meeting at the "football building" with Gricar, Sloane, Schreffler, Ralston and Ganter. Three of those people were known to have been involved with the investigation of Victim 6. A fourth is obviously connected to the University and the football program.

And then there is the 10/13/98 meeting at the "football building" with Gricar, Sloane, Schreffler, Ralston and Ganter. Three of those people were known to have been involved with the investigation of Victim 6. A fourth is obviously connected to the University and the football program.

...And this meeting is what brought me to Websleuths in the first place. When I googled all the names together to see if I could find out what they were meeting about, it led me to the Gricar thread at Websleuths! Maybe there was another Sandusky incident at this time, so all the people reunited to discuss the issue...and it was at Lasch, so Ganter could say, "...and here's right where it happened..."

...And thanks, Big Cat, for starting this thread...I have a feeling if we can figure out what happened in 1998, we can understand 2001 better.

...J.J., in your timeline, above, you indicate that Lauro picked up the Chambers report, but it was Schreffler, the reporting officer, who picked it up. Lauro has stated that he never knew about the Chambers report. But as J.J. has pointed out, he should have know it existed since it was mentioned in the police report...if he got that particular page.

I really want to see those missing pages, and I really want to know what happened in October, 1998...

JMO

I have always been uncomfortable with the idea that Baldwin seemed very eager to accompany Paterno and even write some talking points for him to take to the grand jury.

The truth doesn't need pat answers from an attorney that wasn't even there. She seemed to be attempting to control the message and make certain that all three (Curley, Schultz and Paterno) held to the official story. But she certainly distanced herself quickly when questions about her purpose for attending the GJ proceedings came up.

...And this meeting is what brought me to Websleuths in the first place. When I googled all the names together to see if I could find out what they were meeting about, it led me to the Gricar thread at Websleuths! Maybe there was another Sandusky incident at this time, so all the people reunited to discuss the issue...and it was at Lasch, so Ganter could say, "...and here's right where it happened..."

...And thanks, Big Cat, for starting this thread...I have a feeling if we can figure out what happened in 1998, we can understand 2001 better.

...J.J., in your timeline, above, you indicate that Lauro picked up the Chambers report, but it was Schreffler, the reporting officer, who picked it up. Lauro has stated that he never knew about the Chambers report. But as J.J. has pointed out, he should have know it existed since it was mentioned in the police report...if he got that particular page.

I really want to see those missing pages, and I really want to know what happened in October, 1998...

Yeah, this really bothers me. Chambers called Childline to make the initial report (she refers to the "Pennsylvania child abuse line" not the local C&Y. Childline is an entity of . . . the Dept of Public Welfare, and Lauro should have at least had her original phone report.

Also, when I was a mandated reporter, I was entitled to learn the outcome of any report I had made (founded, indicated, or unfounded), so you would think Lauro would have wanted to contact her and let her know what the decision was, and at that time, he would have learned of her concerns and findings.

Lauro has been loudly protesting that he was kept "out-of-the-loop", but it is appearing to me that he made only the minimum of effort in a cursory investigation, relying on Schreffler and Gricar to make the decision for him.

JMO

Definitely Schreffler picked up the Chambers Report. Sorry about that.

What I'm wondering is if at that 10/13/98 meeting, RFG basically told them that he wouldn't prosecute Sandusky "if he received help for the problem."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back