Human Remains (*cadaver) Detection (HRD) dog questions and answers **NO DISCUSSION**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured as much. Lol

So what would pit bulls, or some breed or mix breed that looked similar to pit bulls "typically" be used for?

I'm not very covert, am I?

And I am admittedly not much of a dog person.

ETA- not that I don't respect them and the people that work with them. I'm just a cat person. Give me any cat and I can probably train them in a day. I was raised with them and understand them, dogs. . .not so much.

LOL, I think I get what you're saying. :blushing: The short answer is there is no way to look at what breed is out in the field and by breed alone say "oh, it's a pit, so he's tracking, or a narc dog, or or or". Sometimes you can make better guesstimates by what the dog is or is not "wearing", what tools the handler has with them, etc, but even that varies a ton.

LOL, I think I get what you're saying. :blushing: The short answer is there is no way to look at what breed is out in the field and by breed alone say "oh, it's a pit, so he's tracking, or a narc dog, or or or". Sometimes you can make better guesstimates by what the dog is or is not "wearing", what tools the handler has with them, etc, but even that varies a ton.

Thank you! And yes, that answers my question. Nothing can really be gleaned from knowing the dog breed as far as what kind of work it is doing.

do you know what behavior the dog was exhibiting in the post below? thx.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7252277&postcount=949"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LE serves search warrant on family's home[/ame]

Can you re-post the video? I searched for it quick, but can't find.
TIA.

I don't think there is a video. I was reading through that thread and it is posters' comments about what they had seen on a livestream. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

Ah, ok. No wonder I couldn't find! Perhaps there is a screen shot someone has of the dog and handler? Wouldn't give a definitive answer at all, but might help point us in a direction of what dog and handler were doing at the time. It's possible the dog wasn't even working at the time.

Here I go again with another question percolating that I can't seem to get a grip on how to ask.....

From reading this thread I think I have a grasp that the compounds of decomp are "tracky", is that correct? And those compounds can eventually permeate a container to "leak" out, correct?

If one were to turn a trashbag inside out to pick up a small deceased human, can the experts opine on a window of time it would take for those compounds to permeate and leak (scent-wise) from the bag. I understand that there may be tracking issues, I am just curious as to permeation and leaking. *if answering such a question is not something you would want to do, I completely understand*

Steve Young in Lisa's case has said all labworks are back in, he also stated there was no evidence to point to Lisa being deceased. Would this mean that the dog hit could have been misunderstood, or that the decomp the dog hit on was not Lisa's?

I have read over the thread and was had been thinking for the longest best to wait for forensic confirmation only because the house is an older one and that in itself increases the likelihood that someone could have died in the house previously.

Someone had said somewhere else the dog hit on scent particles but I was of the understanding that something had to leave those particles that still remained where the dog hit, is that correct? Ok I think the simplest question I can ask, is do you know the process that is undergone to confirm the "hit" of the dog, labwork wise? I am trying to simplify a question that I don't think is that simple to ask.

Ok, so dog hits on scent on let's just say the comforter. LE processes the comforter and they find no evidence(not sure if that's truth, just going from the statement in an article) to say that Lisa is deceased. What things would they look for and test on that comforter to arrive at whether the HRD's hit was on Lisa? And if those things are not present could it mean the dog hit on another source of the decomp, ie previous resident that died in the home? Is that better?
TIA for your reply.

I think I have found a simplified question.

How is it confirmed from the scent particles that the HRD hit on actually came from Lisa, or another person who may have died? How would it be verified the decomp scent came specifically from Lisa?

Sorry for the confusion I am sure you probably want to hit your head against a wall with my inability to phrase my question right? I kind of feel like I am trying to understand GREEK.

After reading more about these dogs, I feel more confidant that LE wasn't slacking on the job in this case. They called in the experts in the field.

Sarx and Oriah,

This might be an "odd" question and thought I would ask since the thread has sort of "slowed down" :innocent::innocent:

I was wondering can a dog "detect" the "death" of a person -- even if the dog is NOT trained in HRD ?

I was wondering about this from a personal experience -- when my mother passed away at home [terminal illness], all of us family were there, including the 2 Beagles, and right when she passed, the Beagles let out a "howl" that I have never heard from them before ...

I have always thought to myself the "dogs knew" Mom was not with us any more ... Sorry to mention this ...

It is just "fascinating" to me how "dogs" can sense things ... oh, and another thing I remember was when the "dogs" alerted when that Tsunami was about to hit !

THANKS SO MUCH ... and so sorry for the question, but I had to ask ...:innocent:

Just catching up on this thread.....and this may be OT

Many years ago my faithful german shepherd passed away suddenly at home, my son's shepherd cross came in from another room and sniffed gently then moved away. She was very quiet and sullen over the next few days.

We had our dog cremated and brought him back home and buried at which time my son's dog did a big writhing on her back (which what our dog did regularly) after that she was her normal self again.

It was really quite amazing she seemed to know exactly what was going on.

There was a question on another thread that I thought I'd bring over here, asking about how or whether or not an HRD dog could 'hit' or alert on a living human being.
I want to remind everyone, that's one of the reasons for the clarification of 'human remains detection' and not 'cadaver' dogs.

Human remains are not necessarily entire bodies. Parts of humans can decompose while the human themself remains alive.
Example- an accident causes a limb to be severed. The individual survives the accident, but the limb is lost. An HRD dog might be called in to try and locate the limb. An HRD dog should alert to the limb, but should not alert to the living individual involved in the accident.

There are many ways that human decomp can be present, and not involve a death. So an HRD alert does not necessarily rule in or out whether a death has occured. Hope this helps with some questions.

Like someone who is otherwise well but has an area for example skin that has died due to some disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288