Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a copy of the statement provided by the man at the KOA campground who allegedly shot pool with the John Doe. In his statement, he never claimed to have actually had contact with the John Doe that year, but a year prior. He only claimed to have seen John Doe in the summer of 1975. There were three receipts of people with Canadian addresses. These three people were named Jacques Desjardins, Jacques Galvin and Peter Franks. Apparently these people were unrelated due to different dates of stay. It looks like he was trying to find receipts that had the first name Jacques or similar initials and had Canadian addresses. It appears the police followed up these leads, but nothing ever panned out. All the records David Batson provided were dated 1975. Obviously this makes this lead very shaky in my opinion.

Great find Tear Drop! This is very helpful.

About his ring. Last we heard, Sumter County Sheriff's Office said it was now worn down and the initials JPF on couldn't be read anymore (??). What if it the letters were actually
JPP instead? That stands for Juventud Peronista Patriótica, an apparently rather radical group, judging by the crossed machine gun and spear that used to make up their logo. (This document has some of the old artwork: http://www.robertobaschetti.com/pdf/MILITANTES%20DEL%20P.R.%20UNO%20X%20UNO%20V.pdf.)

Due to the number of typos on the sheriff's website, it's likely the "brown/green" is a sloppy transcription of the "blue/green" reported elsewhere.

About his ring. Last we heard, Sumter County Sheriff's Office said it was now worn down and the initials JPF on couldn't be read anymore (??). What if it the letters were actually
JPP instead? That stands for Juventud Peronista Patriótica, an apparently rather radical group, judging by the crossed machine gun and spear that used to make up their logo. (This document has some of the old artwork: http://www.robertobaschetti.com/pdf/MILITANTES%20DEL%20P.R.%20UNO%20X%20UNO%20V.pdf.)

I have seen the ring. It was slightly worn down. I am sure it read JPF. It also was stamped on the inside with "B&F" near the JPF engraving. Anyone know what that means?

Due to the number of typos on the sheriff's website, it's likely the "brown/green" is a sloppy transcription of the "blue/green" reported elsewhere.

I think you are right. In all other reports it was blue/green or even blue/grey eyes. There has not been any other report with brown/green. I believe that is a typo.

Jane Doe has "brown/green" eyes now? Sumter Sheriff's Office page still saying the man's ring is "of Far Eastern design" (it's really a Linde Star): http://www.sumtersheriff.org/cold/2011/4/6/john-jane-doe-1976.html In fact the ring was "the only potential identifiers [sic] found at the scene" (??).

I had seen that before too. I gave a list of inconsistencies to Reannan who said she would ask the current coroner when she was able to travel to Sumter. That was definitely one of them along with the "Far Eastern design" or Jock's ring.

I'm surprised the B & F stamp has never been mentioned in any report of the case. I believe it most likely did stand for Baden & Foss which would certainly be an important clue. Look at how much info they were able to find about the Bulova watch just by looking at the serial number. I find it hard to believe that something similar couldn't have been done with the B & F stamp, which would have given everyone more evidence to go on.

Baden & Foss, a New York jeweler? This has a pic of their mark: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Fine-Jewelry-Gems/Help-To-Id/5200044268

I think the ring was made by Baden and Foss also. I have seen a pic of another B&F ring ahich had an identical marking to the B&F marking on John Does ring. According to one forum, B&F is no longer in business. Can anyone confirm this? We need to get the contact info for this company. It is doubtful, but there could still be a record of the sale. I have seen a case that was solved by this exact kind of lead. A jewler was contacted after a long time had passed about a specific piece of jewelry with an engraving. Since engravings are typically done by the jeweler the receipt had the engraving information on the receipt. That was how they solved the case. Who knows, there might be a receipt with JPF written on it? Let's get in touch that owner or ex-owner! If anyone finds the contact info could they plesae post it. I have found an address but not a phone number.

Baden & Foss, Inc. is still listed as an active corporation by New York State, though in 1982 it was acquired by the late Hans G. Clapper's American Gemsmiths, now defunct. The contact listed for B&F is an international law firm, Morgan Lews & Bockius (http://www.morganlewis.com/). [American Gemsmiths also owned A. Jaffe (engagement rings) and Robert S. Fischer (gold chains etc.), both brands still active.]

In 1983 Clapper acquired wedding band manufacturer Wright & Lato Inc (800 Springdale Ave East Orange, New Jersey 07017-1226 USA tel: +1 9736748700, http://www.wrightandlato.com/), which was in 2006 acquired by Novell Design Studio (http://novelldesignstudio.com/; https://www.facebook.com/NovellWeddingBands).

I noticed there are smiling pix of both John Doe and César Lugones to compare the teeth.

What if we all just looked for females ignoring the moles?
:what:
I know , sounds like not such a good idea right?
The reason i say this is that people have been known to have small unnoticeable moles/freckles etc which only show later after exposure to the sunshine.
Also grow larger as the person grows older etc.

So, if we searched for a female [ even kidnapped ones] as children?
And do not see the moles mentioned that still could be her.
:twocents:

I updated the Wikipedia page for Jock and Jane Doe. I didn't have time to add the info about Lonnie Henry and the gun yet, but there's now lots of factual information on there about the couple.

Sumter County Does - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know what you think.

How do they know it was a van and not a truck? How do they know it was only one assailant? Also, I think they revised the ages up after their initial estimate . . . I'll have to look that up.

I had seen that before too. I gave a list of inconsistencies to Reannan who said she would ask the current coroner when she was able to travel to Sumter. That was definitely one of them along with the "Far Eastern design" or Jock's ring.

Hey Bobby.... I still have your list, and I still remember two of your main points that stood out to me: 1. Why have we never seen pictures of the "JPF" initials on the ring? 2. Was Jock circumcised? That might be an important clue as to whether he was from America. You have great observation skills and your list contains a lot of additional questions.... I will just forever associate those two questions with you. I have not been to see the coroner yet. I wrote the current coroner a letter and included pictures of the possible Argentina couple along with other pertinent information over a year ago. Never got so much as a "Thank you for your interest" response. It was bothersome and strange. Since that time, there has been an election cycle, and there is some politics in the office that needs to settle down before any visit. At this point, I think some of our new posters (Tear Drop and Swamp Fox Trot) have provided VALUABLE new information and ideas. So thankful to have the faithful few of us here at WS's and the new people who are obviously just as obsessed as we are. I guarantee you somewhere out there in the world, someone misses the man and woman found on the side of the road in the state I call home. So sad that they were murdered - so sad that they don't have a name. So not giving up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie