GUILTY US Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens and 3 other Americans killed, 2012

So now we are scurrying to get some Marines in place. Why wasnt that building protected already?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/nationalsecurity/u-s-ambassador-killed-in-libya-20120912

The Americans were targeted in an attack in their car, trying to move to a safer venue away from the violent protests that erupted at the U.S. Consulate, Reuters reported. Stevens died of suffocation, while the three other personnel were killed by gunshot wounds, CBS News reports.

***********I don't understand - he was suffocated while the others were shot??

From what I heard the bldg. was set on fire. He died from smoke inhalation (suffocation).

CBS News is reporting that the attack seems to have been a planned terrorist attack, planned for Sept 11th. There will be more info, I am sure.

The use of rocket launchers was a kind of clue to me that this wasn't just a little civilian uprising or demonstration.

Earlier today, KGO TV reported that Stevens was a native of The Bay Area. He went to Cal Berkeley and to Hastings Law. He spoke fluent Arabic, was one of only a few who were considered experts on Libya. He loved Libya and it's people.

KGO reported that he was killed while attempting to rescue other Embassy people.

For those who might be interested in Steven A. Klein (whether his film played a part or not) you can learn more about him here:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-inform...-issues/2012/spring/onward-christian-soldiers

We should have already had more security in place on the anniversary of 9-11, imo. Does anyone know how secure our American Diplomats are in other countries? I was just wandering if they have personal bodyguards and if so how many? I would think that knowing terrorists love nothing more than to kill Americans, we would have TEAMS of security for OUR own people. IMOO

We should have already had more security in place on the anniversary of 9-11, imo. Does anyone know how secure our American Diplomats are in other countries? I was just wandering if they have personal bodyguards and if so how many? I would think that knowing terrorists love nothing more than to kill Americans, we would have TEAMS of security for OUR own people. IMOO

Details are still sketchy, but to me it read as if there was a security team and an evacuation plan they were trying to execute. But the terrorists took advantage of the public protest as a distraction to get to the Americans.

Blame anarchy for Benghazi

Libyans are overwhelmingly pro-American. So how did Tuesday's attack occur?
By MURTAZA HUSSAIN

"After leading a massive international air campaign to rescue the Libyan revolution from Moammar Gadhafi, Americans were understandably shocked and appalled to wake up to news that extremist militants had stormed the U.S. embassy in Benghazi and murdered Ambassador Chris Stevens as well as three embassy support staff. Contrary to what this incident seems to suggest, Libyans are not anti-American, and indeed are one of the most staunchly pro-American constituencies in the Middle East and North Africa."

Much more...

BREAKING: The AP is reporting two Norfolk-based warships are heading for Libya - the USS McFaul and the USS Laboon

Evidence points to a terrorist attack in Libya

CBS News
September 12, 2012 7:13 PM
By David Martin

"Developing evidence Wednesday night suggests the killing of four American diplomats in Libya may have been a terrorist attack, not mob violence, as first suspected.

U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three members of his staff were killed overnight in the fiery wreckage of the U.S. consulate in the city of Benghazi.

It happened after hundreds of people converged on the consulate to protest a little known internet film that ridicules Islam. The film was produced in the United States."

and

"U.S. officials say this was not an out-of-control demonstration, but a well-executed assault by a well-armed band of thugs. Officials suspect the attackers are either associated with or sympathize with al Qaeda and that they took advantage of a demonstration sparked by that anti-Muslim film to launch their assault on the anniversary of 9/11."

and

"Stevens had his own bodyguards and the consulate itself was protected by American and Libyan security forces. But there were no U.S. Marines, who often serve as guards at diplomatic outposts, on duty at the consulate, which is located in a residential neighborhood and was a temporary facility not built to withstand terrorist attacks."

More, of course...

It is also fairly obvious that the story is still developing.

The country is rich in oil, but there is less than 7 million people. Interesting place Libya with a nice coastline on the Mediterranean.
We moved out of Iraq so lets move in there.

This is a good article from CNN. Its a commentary or opinion piece as opposed to straight reporting but it is done by someone with some knowledge and authority.

What jihadists want you to believe about Libya
By Noman Benotman, Special to CNN
updated 7:04 PM EDT, Wed September 12, 2012

"The Obama administration may very well be right that the attack in Benghazi which claimed the lives of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other U.S. officials was part of a pre-planned terrorist operation. It would have happened sooner or later, regardless of any protests against an obscure anti-Islam film made in America.

The attack apparently occurred because in recent days, the al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri posted a video online calling on Libyans to avenge the killing of al-Qaeda's second in command, Abu Yahya al-Libi.

According to our own sources at Quilliam Foundation, the attack was the work of roughly 20 militants, prepared for a military assault. It is rare, for example, that an RPG7 -- an anti-tank rocket-propelled grenade launcher -- would be present at a civilian protest. The attack against the consulate had two waves. The first attack led to U.S. officials being evacuated from the consulate by Libyan security forces, only for the second wave to be launched against U.S. officials after they were kept at a secure location."

Much more...

California Man Confirms Role in Anti-Islam Film
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
By GILLIAN FLACCUS and STEPHEN BRAUN

"The search for those behind the provocative, anti-Muslim film that triggered mobs in Egypt and Libya led Wednesday to a California Coptic Christian convicted of financial crimes who acknowledged his role in managing and providing logistics for the production.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, told The Associated Press in an interview outside Los Angeles that he was manager for the company that produced “Innocence of Muslims,” which mocked Muslims and the prophet Mohammed and was implicated in inflaming mobs that attacked U.S. missions in Egypt and Libya. He provided the first details about a shadowy production group behind the film."

This is a must read story if you want to know who the mysterious Sam Bacile is.

I know some here (on Websleuths) don't believe in a higher power, but please pray, send positive thoughts, etc. to our military. They're already stretched thin. Especially think of the Marines that are being sent directly into this. I live in the Norfolk VA area and I'm sure what has happened has affected this area in more ways than one. One of the ships was supposed to be coming home after a six month deployment when they were diverted. I can't seem to get these men, women and their families off my mind this morning. I know they sign up for this but it doesn't keep them from being scared, anxious or missed (them and their loved ones).

I agree with you, Nova, Christianity is just (if not more) violent in its history.

I'm going to read the link. I just find it so hard to believe that a movie on the internet caused people their lives.

Us Americans are so hated all around the world. It's scary.

BBM. I agree, yet I also believe it's our own fault for constantly getting involved where we shouldn't. We're arrogant :(

Now Canada is closing up the embassy in Cairo. I'm getting worried about all of this now.

Just got a breaking news thingy on my facebook that the gates of the embassy in Yemin are being stormed :(

I hope this ends soon.. we cannot possibly send troops to all these countries and I don't want anymore of our people killed or injured

Snipped:

I hope this ends soon.. we cannot possibly send troops to all these countries and I don't want anymore of our people killed or injured

A thanks just didn't seem to be enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back