IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
by saying the specific street I believe they would narrow their target audience too much... not to mention the perp was most likely anywhere in that given vicinity that they were referring to last night (area between gilbert and arbitus):moo:

dang! I gotta get a barn for all my :moo::moo::moo:'s

True, True...

And they don't really want to point fingers either.

:moo::moo::moo::moo::moo::moo:

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but do we know for certain the girls were riding fast on the surveillance tape? I keep thinking it might just LOOK fast because of the frame rate? I don't have any expertise in this area but I've wondered this from the beginning. I know that LE said this, BBM:

"It looked kind of grainy, I mean just zoom they were by the thing and so it's very hard to really make much out of the thing," Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said. "
http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-io...deo-elizabeth-collins-lyric/story?id=16850676

Which I think has led to the (possibly correct) assumption that they were riding quickly, but I can also take that as them just not being on camera for very long, because the camera shows so little of that stretch of road IMO. They could be riding "single file" to stay to the side in case of traffic? Or there's a narrow area there to ride? It did seem like they were fairly far apart, but we don't know how they normally ride - side by side? Taking turns leading each other somewhere?

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

BBM:
http://www.radioiowa.com/2012/07/15/few-clues-in-disappearance-of-two-northeast-iowa-girls/

It doesn't specify exactly where on the river they searched but it does say this, boats and search parties were combing a nearby stretch of the Cedar River for clues. I would think this would include the water as well if they were out in boats. I haven't seen anything mentioned about the other lake though.

I know they mentioned searching the banks and serounding area but I do not recall the water of the Cedar River being actually dragged or drained.

Wouldn't that require some kind of warrant? I think they have to have a search warrant to have access to a particular individual's phone records, so I doubt if they could target every phone in that area. Just a guess, I really don't know.

it does require a warrant...we had a truck driver who hadn't checked in for a very long time with anyone. we asked his service provider to ping his cell phone because he could have been anywhere in the US. We finally got one and the outcome was not a good one....he had passed away in his semi and had been there for a few days. very sad :(

Last week, information was released by DCI stating, "The girls were seen riding their bikes at 12:30 p.m. that day. At approximately 2 p.m., their bikes were found near a gate on the trail that goes around Meyers Lake."

Yesterday, the Evansdale PD released that they had "information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert Dr. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale."

Is it the usual practice to have two different agencies releasing information on the same case? I realize that they are working together on the case, but I assumed that cases typically had one agency acting as a contact with media.

I know they mentioned searching the banks and serounding area but I do not recall the water of the Cedar River being actually dragged or drained.

Well... in LE's defense IMO I don't think you can easily drain a river. I think they had a unique opportunity with Meyers lake having a means of draining it. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the norm that they're easily drainable - I'd never even heard of being able to drain a lake to search before and did a double take when I read it the first time.

I absolutely hope that they dragged the river though! Along with any other water nearby. IMO it seems like they are fairly set on the idea that a vehicle was involved, but the water should still be checked and ruled out if possible. All MOO.

it does require a warrant...we had a truck driver who hadn't checked in for a very long time with anyone. we asked his service provider to ping his cell phone because he could have been anywhere in the US. We finally got one and the outcome was not a good one....he had passed away in his semi and had been there for a few days. very sad :(

That is very sad! I'm glad he was found but that had to be so upsetting.

Hmmm... related to Lizzie's phone, I don't know very much about the whole cell phone pinging thing, but SweetPea your post got me thinking. If they tracked "pings" for that day, would the pings be fairly close together, enough that you could determine a direction and speed of travel? Maybe that's why they reported the girls were riding "away" from the lake earlier? Can they tell the difference between someone (or their phone anyway) walking, riding, or being in a vehicle, based on speed or distance of travel?

Hmmm... related to Lizzie's phone, I don't know very much about the whole cell phone pinging thing, but SweetPea your post got me thinking. If they tracked "pings" for that day, would the pings be fairly close together, enough that you could determine a direction and speed of travel? Maybe that's why they reported the girls were riding "away" from the lake earlier? Can they tell the difference between someone (or their phone anyway) walking, riding, or being in a vehicle, based on speed or distance of travel?

I really don't know, but there are two different things involved with tracking location. One would be GPS, which would tell by satellite, where the phone is, and one would be pinging calls off a cell tower. In the case of the pinging, as soon as you are out of range of one cell tower, another cell tower picks it up so you can continue a call. When you are in the "can you hear me now" range, you are talking about the pinging function of the nearest tower. MOO

ETA: If a phone is on the ground somewhere and turned on, it will continue pinging a cell tower, and they can triangulate pings for location. GPS tracks geographically where the phone is and where it goes (when you use your car GPS, you always know on a map where you are, but it works off a satellite). And, like your car, you can have GPS on your cell phone, but it is generally an App. Just trying to make myself more clear...lol MOO

I really don't know, but there are two different things involved with tracking location. One would be GPS, which would tell by satellite, where the phone is, and one would be pinging calls off a cell tower. In the case of the pinging, as soon as you are out of range of one cell tower, another cell tower picks it up so you can continue a call. When you are in the "can you hear me now" range, you are talking about the pinging function of the nearest tower. MOO

So, if someone was at Myers Lake and was making a call it would ping the tower closest to Myers Lake and then if that person left Myers lake it would ping the next tower it got to.

I wonder if Pings have streangth..?.

I could see the girls get more easily lured by an abductor earlier in the timeline, because they figured they had time and wouldn't be very late. However, given that they were sighted going toward the lake as late as possibly 1:00...I dunno. I think it would have to be a very influential person to get them to be that fearless of the consequences of being that late; especially, since they hadn't "checked in". JMHO

But if the person who abducted them was trusted by the girls, he/she/they could have said they had Gma's permission, or that they would square things with Gma. JMO

Last week, information was released by DCI stating, "The girls were seen riding their bikes at 12:30 p.m. that day. At approximately 2 p.m., their bikes were found near a gate on the trail that goes around Meyers Lake."

Yesterday, the Evansdale PD released that they had "information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert Dr. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale."

Is it the usual practice to have two different agencies releasing information on the same case? I realize that they are working together on the case, but I assumed that cases typically had one agency acting as a contact with media.

Law enforcement agencies may work together but when there is publicity to be had, it is every agency for itself.

I'm pretty sure the FBI is largely out of the case or they too would be releasing information to the media.

But if the person who abducted them was trusted by the girls, he/she/they could have said they had Gma's permission, or that they would square things with Gma. JMO

Absolutely. I'm in this instance thinking about a random perp that they don't know..that person would have less "authority" and seem less trustworthy no matter what they said than if it was someone they had previously befriended or someone they knew well. MOO

Hey, Cinder, about the restroom at Meyers Lake that your hubby, umm... :blushing1: "checked out" for us -- I was looking at it on Bing. It looks like it has a men's side and a women's side. Is that correct? It also looks like there are no doors; just an outside entryway on each side that goes around in an "L" shape. Is that right, too?

Well... in LE's defense IMO I don't think you can easily drain a river. I think they had a unique opportunity with Meyers lake having a means of draining it. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the norm that they're easily drainable - I'd never even heard of being able to drain a lake to search before and did a double take when I read it the first time.

I absolutely hope that they dragged the river though! Along with any other water nearby. IMO it seems like they are fairly set on the idea that a vehicle was involved, but the water should still be checked and ruled out if possible. All MOO.

I can remember a few times in my life when they drained the river. it isn't common tho. we have been in a dry spell all summer and the river/lake levels are lower than normal. And i was a little surprised they drained Meyers lake as well..I think the thinking behind it was that was where the bikes were found, and they wanted to rule out drowning. since the lake had been drained before I think it was a logical step to totally rule out the girls were in the lake.

I can remember a few times in my life when they drained the river. it isn't common tho. we have been in a dry spell all summer and the river/lake levels are lower than normal. And i was a little surprised they drained Meyers lake as well..I think the thinking behind it was that was where the bikes were found, and they wanted to rule out drowning. since the lake had been drained before I think it was a logical step to totally rule out the girls were in the lake.

And maybe they also Drain the lake to see if anyone throw any evidence in there...?

BBM - really?? Wow. I had no idea that was even possible. I think I learn something new here every day. I like to learn new things so that's pretty cool. :)

Are there any types of dams for example between E'Dale and Gilbertville on that river? I was watching a show the other day, and they were talking about a "perfect crime" scenario where some victims were dumped at the dam (it wasn't even a big dam..maybe 6 feet high) and they said the victims just spin around like in a dryer. They said it is very difficult to search via diver and very dangerous. It virtually destroys evidence due to the churning. Sorry for the graphic description... MOO

BBM - really?? Wow. I had no idea that was even possible. I think I learn something new here every day. I like to learn new things so that's pretty cool. :)

they have a series of dams down the Cedar River. I can remember it being drained when I was a teenager. I think it was to build a new bridge. My brother had a metal detector he had gotten for Christmas from my folks. he took it down there and found a bunch of crazy stuff...pop bottle tops, car plates, beer cans, car keys, and even an engagement ring...my guess is the engagemnet hadn't gone well ;) it was a pretty popular boating/water skiing part of the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy