Missing kindergartener prompts parent to question procedures

kai

Reaction score
http://trib.com/news/local/casper/m...cle_bd1231c0-3e45-566a-bb4a-0c9202dcbd3b.html

Pamula Mabbitt didn’t get the usual Tuesday text from one of her teenagers.

What it should have said was that her daughter had met her 5-year-old brother after school at Verda James Elementary School.

Instead, Mabbitt called her and the 17-year-old said: “Mom, Caden never came out the front doors, I’m still looking for him.”

What followed was fear, frustration and what she described as a tepid response from school officials.
Mabbitt called the school and arrived on the Carriage Lane campus soon after. She alerted the school’s staff and faculty members, and a search in and around the school turned up no sign of Caden.

When Mabbitt heard someone say another parent had spotted a boy near Wyoming Boulevard and Second Street, roughly half a mile from the school, she rushed to find him. Her daughter pointed out a white van pulled over at the intersection and they saw him inside, she said. Another parent had found him on the corner of the intersection near the hill leading to Eastridge Mall.

Mabbitt then called the principal to ask how the school had allowed her son to cross a busy street, why police hadn’t been notified during the search, why the principal hadn’t been one of the staff members communicating via radio that afternoon, and why she’d passed one staff member outside ordering ice cream from a student for a fundraiser and not assisting with the search as she frantically looked for her son.

(BBM) Much, much more at the article link. :banghead: This nonsense response from the principal has me furious. They need a little lesson from Skyview Elementary in what happens when a child goes missing and is NOT found. The very scary thing is there has been a man in a white van trying to lure school children recently. For a school to be so lax and "oh well" about things just makes me go "grrrrr!"

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/m...cle_bd1231c0-3e45-566a-bb4a-0c9202dcbd3b.html

Pamula Mabbitt didn’t get the usual Tuesday text from one of her teenagers.

What it should have said was that her daughter had met her 5-year-old brother after school at Verda James Elementary School.

Instead, Mabbitt called her and the 17-year-old said: “Mom, Caden never came out the front doors, I’m still looking for him.”
What followed was fear, frustration and what she described as a tepid response from school officials.
Mabbitt called the school and arrived on the Carriage Lane campus soon after. She alerted the school’s staff and faculty members, and a search in and around the school turned up no sign of Caden.

When Mabbitt heard someone say another parent had spotted a boy near Wyoming Boulevard and Second Street, roughly half a mile from the school, she rushed to find him. Her daughter pointed out a white van pulled over at the intersection and they saw him inside, she said. Another parent had found him on the corner of the intersection near the hill leading to Eastridge Mall.

Mabbitt then called the principal to ask how the school had allowed her son to cross a busy street, why police hadn’t been notified during the search, why the principal hadn’t been one of the staff members communicating via radio that afternoon, and why she’d passed one staff member outside ordering ice cream from a student for a fundraiser and not assisting with the search as she frantically looked for her son.

(BBM) Much, much more at the article link. :banghead: This nonsense response from the principal has me furious. They need a little lesson from Skyview Elementary in what happens when a child goes missing and is NOT found. The very scary thing is there has been a man in a white van trying to lure school children recently. For a school to be so lax and "oh well" about things just makes me go "grrrrr!"

Totally unacceptable response from the school. It is a blessing the child was found by another parent, because it could just as easily been a predator in a van who found him.

This school needs to review and tighten up their policies TODAY. They've been given an opportunity to examine how to improve their response, in case any other child goes missing. They would be wise to recognize the opportunity and make the most of it.

Is this school accredited? I cannot believe that in this day and time that a school does not have written policies and procedures known by every adult in the school! Bet they will VERY soon:maddening: Thankful the little one came to no harm.

Is this school accredited? I cannot believe that in this day and time that a school does not have written policies and procedures known by every adult in the school! Bet they will VERY soon:maddening: Thankful the little one came to no harm.

I agree. After reading the link, I cannot believe that a school does not have very firm policies in place for picking up children. This link stated that parents and students find a meeting place.......ummm WHAT....why is a 5yr old Kindergarten student not picked up at the classroom door????????

Where I come from, you pick up the kindergarten from his/her classroom door from the teacher. You have to be on the child's list of approved pick ups. If the teacher doesn't know you, you must show photo ID.

I'm glaad the child was found safe but things like this happening is inexcusable. Something terrible could have happened to that boy. Where I live they are much more careful than that!

I agree. After reading the link, I cannot believe that a school does not have very firm policies in place for picking up children. This link stated that parents and students find a meeting place.......ummm WHAT....why is a 5yr old Kindergarten student not picked up at the classroom door????????

Where I come from, you pick up the kindergarten from his/her classroom door from the teacher. You have to be on the child's list of approved pick ups. If the teacher doesn't know you, you must show photo ID.

Yep, I teach preschool, and I have a list for every kiddo of who is allowed to pick them up, (and in some cases I have names and photos of people not allowed near particular kids, in which case we have protocols for that, too). They have to sign in up front, where the receptionist checks their ID and they get a little tag, then they come to the classroom and sign in again, and if I don't know them, they get carded again or I check in with reception. This is serious stuff!

At the same time, I'm curious what further details come out in this case.

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/missing-casper-kindergartener-prompts-parent-to-question-procedures/article_bd1231c0-3e45-566a-bb4a-0c9202dcbd3b.html
Another parent had found him on the corner of the intersection near the hill leading to Eastridge Mall.

1/2 mile away in no time flat using only his own foot power. Scary thought for any parent. Where exactly was little man going? If I was his mother, I would be addressing this. He knew he was suppose to be waiting on his sister and chose not to - why? He would be so sick of my lectures and grounded too.

The school should definitely review their protocols and tighten up but even under a vigilant eye it is easy to lose sight of a child quickly.

A class zoo trip at that same age was near the death of me. We had a 2 kids to 1 parent ratio and still almost lost 2. I was so tired when we got back on the bus just from counting heads.

Had the school noticed he was gone or did his sister alert them?

I would report this incident to the school board......as slack as their procedures are now, why have any confidence they will make corrections...... There are state and county guidelines for what they should be doing for safety of the kids.....

The intersection he was found at is the busiest intersection in the whole state of Wyoming. It also is known for having one of the highest percentages of vehicle accidents. I wouldn't want to try and attempt to cross it on foot as an adult.

This article was on the front page of Sunday's newspaper. I say good for that mom for getting it out in the public eye. Unfortunately I won't be surprised if nothing comes of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentr