Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken fried, I know you went in a hoopty, but were you there with a bike also? A purple one?

Crimson Clover, were you there with your kids?

Chicken fried, I know you went in a hoopty, but were you there with a bike also? A purple one?

Crimson Clover, were you there with your kids?

LOL, yup, I "liberated it," flat tires and all, from my ex-girlfriend's yard, without getting shot. Figures it would be purple (more like pink!). I also proved that one can throw a bike into the trunk of a "hoopty" and slam the lid and still have room to spare.

Where did you see me? Wish you'd said "hey!"

I definitely saw you at the placing of the bike!
I saw someone fitting your description, but I didn't want to walk up and say hi if that wasn't really you haha. Nice bike ;)

I was standing in the back with a friend of mine.
I'm glad you whistled for people to be quiet, because there were many times no one could hear!
I wish I had gone say hello, but either way, glad you got to attend

There will also be a Mickey biking in New Orleans.
All you New Orleans people who weren't able to attend, there's one for you too!

Another thing that was cool was Charlie cheering on the bikes. I can't quite place how it went, because there were police cars going "woop woop" and it was a bit distracting and also because one had to be watching out for the little kids in the group, but at one point I hear someone cheering on the bikes and I look left and Charlie's in the window of a truck going the other way, with a glowing smile on her face. I can't quite figure how it went - maybe the family purposely ran the route in reverse to get a good look at the whole peloton?

What was cool was that, to me, I saw quite a few smiles from the family, amid some tears, and so anything that made them smile yesterday helps the healing just a little bit. I know how good it made me feel to see Ms. Nancy riding Mickey's bike. That was excellent. That was like a little victory.

I definitely saw you at the placing of the bike!
I saw someone fitting your description, but I didn't want to walk up and say hi if that wasn't really you haha. Nice bike ;)

I was standing in the back with a friend of mine.
I'm glad you whistled for people to be quiet, because there were many times no one could hear!
I wish I had gone say hello, but either way, glad you got to attend

Oh, you should have tried. The worst that could have happened was someone giving you a puzzled look, and saying, "no, actually, broasted. Why do you ask?"

Yeah the UL president (wasn't that the president?) should take one of his own courses in public speaking. It was surprising how he saw all those people around and yet mumbled in a soft voice like he was at the opera so no one could hear. I was closer than you and couldn't understand him either. Oh well.

I also wish for anyone who heard what Brettly said during the bike ride to tell us. No one could hear him.

Weren't the butterflies cool? And last night I saw the news with shots of the monarchs on Mr. Tom and Charlie. WOW! Waaay cool :)

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how it went. I think maybe Charlie wanted to do as you said, and watch the whole thing from another view. She had a lot of smiles yesterday. It seemed like everyone's tears came at the bike memorial. They were all so encouraging and strong though.

Just knowing that was the place she was taken was so hard.

Did you get a close up of Mickey's bike, the black and gold one?
Also very weird to think she was on that bike during this whole thing, and that monster BSL actually put that bike in his vehicle. A bunch of feelings run through you standing next to something like that.

It's great that they used a previous bike of hers for the memorial. It makes it so much more meaningful.
The ghost bike will be permanent unlike many ghost bikes which are temporary.
It will forever be Mickey's spot!

Oh, you should have tried. The worst that could have happened was someone giving you a puzzled look, and saying, "no, actually, broasted. Why do you ask?"

Yeah the UL president (wasn't that the president?) should take one of his own courses in public speaking. It was surprising how he saw all those people around and yet mumbled in a soft voice like he was at the opera so no one could hear. I was closer than you and couldn't understand him either. Oh well.

I also wish for anyone who heard what Brettly said during the bike ride to tell us. No one could hear him.

Weren't the butterflies cool? And last night I saw the news with shots of the monarchs on Mr. Tom and Charlie. WOW! Waaay cool :)

Haha very true! I shouldve just taken the chance.

Yes I don't know why the ul president wasn't louder. Unless he was just really shaken up. I wish they had gotten something that we could all easily hear, regardless of where we were standing.

I didn't even know Brettly was even talking until you said that.
Brettly already has such a soft voice already.

The butterflies were beautiful. They were landing on so many people, and refusing to leave. It was a wonderful goodbye to Mickey.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how it went. I think maybe Charlie wanted to do as you said, and watch the whole thing from another view. She had a lot of smiles yesterday. It seemed like everyone's tears came at the bike memorial. They were all so encouraging and strong though.

Just knowing that was the place she was taken was so hard.

Did you get a close up of Mickey's bike, the black and gold one?
Also very weird to think she was on that bike during this whole thing, and that monster BSL actually put that bike in his vehicle. A bunch of feelings run through you standing next to something like that.

It's great that they used a previous bike of hers for the memorial. It makes it so much more meaningful.
The ghost bike will be permanent unlike many ghost bikes which are temporary.
It will forever be Mickey's spot!

You know, somehow I wasn't able to make the emotional connection in my head that that was the spot. I mean, I knew it, but I was focused more on the victory. This is going to sound really stretched, but it was sort of like planting a flag on a hill - like the Marines atop Mt. Suribachi at Iwo Jima after all the hardship...... It was like setting in stone that Mickey was NOT forgotten - that she IS remembered - that she and her bike DID come back - and that the man who did this did NOT get away in secrecy.

All of us gathered 'round felt like a victory party. It really did.

I am from a small community around Lafayette but wasn't able to attend due to a bad back and leg pain.

I do want to go to see the park and bike soon.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...er-legend-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The Advertise (Lafayette paper) has pictures and an article on the front page. Hope I copied the link correctly.

Nice reading those of you that attended comments. Makes you feel like you were part of her celebration.

Mescheresamis

Haha very true! I shouldve just taken the chance.

Yes I don't know why the ul president wasn't louder. Unless he was just really shaken up. I wish they had gotten something that we could all easily hear, regardless of where we were standing.

I didn't even know Brettly was even talking until you said that.
Brettly already has such a soft voice already.

The butterflies were beautiful. They were landing on so many people, and refusing to leave. It was a wonderful goodbye to Mickey.

I think we were at Ryan St. when Brettly climbed up in the back of the pick-up next to the "ghost bike" and spoke. I am wondering if anyone caught the gist.

The butterflies.... my mind knows that they like to land right away and fan their wings to warm up and gain energy. My heart says otherwise :)

I am from a small community around Lafayette but wasn't able to attend due to a bad back and leg pain.

I do want to go to see the park and bike soon.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...er-legend-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The Advertise (Lafayette paper) has pictures and an article on the front page. Hope I copied the link correctly.

Nice reading those of you that attended comments. Makes you feel like you were part of her celebration.

Mescheresamis

'Excellent heartfelt and moving article, by the Advertiser, Mescheresamis'.. 'Thanx for sharing'..

The photo of the Shunick's emotional reaction to the butterfly release at the ghost bike ceremony brings tears to a grown man's eyes...

"Mickey Shunick courageously
sacrificed her life,
so that other victims may live..
...in the early morning hours of
May 19th, 2012,
a hero was born; The Mighty Mick"..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXfdsffOkQ&feature=player_embedded"]In Memory of Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]
In Memory of Mickey Shunick..RIP...

First, he didn't "know" all of that. I think the safer assumption is that the visit to the cane field is consistent with all other evidence. Remember, they were able to track his movements with his phone etc... to verify what areas he traveled to. Remember also that he didn't go straight to the cane field. The plea document talks about him driving to various areas with Mickey (though not specifically stated where) prior to going to the cane field. My final thoughts on it are what difference does it make if he shot her in the University complex or the cane fields? Either way he's a dirt bag who should never see the sun again. Personally I think the cane field makes more sense because you're less likely to draw attention from others when you fire a gun than if you shot it in a semi-residential area. Just my thoughts.

BBM:

You are right, it doesn't really make a difference. The only reason I get so frustrated with his "plea" is because it seems like he was able to lie and get away with certain things once again. Sure, he is in jail for life but I feel like the truth is deserved. He was again able to use Mickey to benefit himself. All he had to do was tell them where she was buried and have his plea match the evidence...and he got to keep his life. We don't even know if the evidence was presented to him and he agreed or if he concocted some story that "matched" the evidence. And I am aware that we may never know. I just get so frustrated because he continues to lie (perhaps) and get away with things. I know he is locked up but I honestly think that would have happened eventually anyway. I just want him to face the truth...not just his version of it. Every time I talk about this I get so angry...I really need to find a way to heal from this.

My daughter and I also attended the memorial but only stayed until the first band finished playing. I still struggle with Mickey's death. So I wasn't sure that I was ready to attend but also knew that later I would regret not going if I didn't. I'm now so glad that I went. We got to see and hug Charlie. She looks so cute with her new hair color. Some of you were asking about Brettly and when I saw him he was laughing with friends. I follow some of her friends on instagram so I see pics of their lives as they move on. And I also see some pics of Mickey and how much they miss her. I so feel for them. They and her family should never have to deal with this kind of pain. No one should. I will continue to remember an amazing young woman that I never met. And hope that this episode in our lives and the way the people of Lafayette came together to find Mickey will somehow change things for the better. There now, that doesn't sound like a silent Cajun at all!

Awe, Chicken...Crimson was in the mix. Looked for that hoopty and descriptive attire. Suppose I'm not very perceptive. I can't even remember a purple bike! Hard to approach a dude and inquire "Are you Chicken?" You just don't do that round here!

Ocean...My kids are all adults, with families of their own. 'Stuff' prevented their attendance. No less the rain.

I wondered in passing all faces who were the 'sleuthers'. Then, I satisfied myself in visualizing all your screen names in all faces. Prescence or spirit. You were there. I made you there.

Hubby (reminiscent of IMpondering's wife) and I opted to stay on the down-low, kept a quiet profile. Observed the festivities, braved the weather...hoping to feel some-what of a closure in MY own Ms. Mickey saga. Amid her family and friends, a pleasure to see a continuous smile on her mother's face with each glance I captured.

You guys have posted the major highlights. Here's my lil contribution.

No actual rainbows surfaced, other than the one I chose to create in witnessing the 'dance'.
Most touching for me, aside from the ride itself, was the dance Mr. Tom and Mrs. Nancy performed to Rareluth's (sp?) request of Patsy Cline's "Always". I saw in the dance...a loving couple's bond of strength, a testament of endurance...moving on, in life...together...after experiencing the most horrible means to lose a child.

I doubt I'd find myself so strong, after only 4 months. Could easily picture myself rocking on the front porch, bottle a wine, and shotgun in tow...ready for the next evil to come my family's way. Course, you know, I aint the trustin kind. Guess I gotta lotta growing up to do. And praying.

I was just letting you guys know, Crimson was there...Now, I wrote a freakin book. Sorray!
Really, pondering New Orleans' ride. I LOVE New Orleans!

Hey Guys,

Yesterday morning was real iffy regarding the weather. The picture someone posted of Mickey in her pancho, sure made me throw caution to the wind. My attutide was adjusted to "Let's go play in the rain."

Wow! Thinking back, it was great to touch those connected to the Summer of Mickey. Also, surprising was how we were interconnected in so many ways. The feeling of oneness was prevelant.

I was able to speak with Equuisearch members who I had spend time in the woods with and shared bottled water. When Bev got up to speak to the crowd, there was a roar of apprections for Tim Miller's group. The only moment that surpassed that volume, was Mayor Durel mentioning the possible new bike path being named Mickey Shunick Way.

I noticed four people in front of me with Ali Lowitzer shirts on. I recognized her Mom and thanked them for making the drive over, identifying myself as a WS member. They were happy that Mickey's case was resolved so quickly. I acknowledged their ongoing angst and told her we were praying for them. A tear flowed from her eye and I asked if I could give her a hug.

Chicken Fried had posted what he would be wearing, I didn't see it until later. But, I picked him out as he walked by my wife and I, not sure how that happened, but it did. We shared a couple of beers, thoughts, and a bike ride together.

I spoke with Chief Craft for a few minutes. He was very relaxed and easy to talk to. I asked what the story was on the bike grips. He said there was only one found, couldn't remember if it was on the bike or not, and no dna was on it. We moved to forensics and he said that BSL/ had put cayenne pepper on the grave to keep animals and dogs away. They did check out the area with dogs and did not turn up anything else. I told him they did a great job. Oh, and he did say that BSL had no remorse, only fear of the needle.

Mickey's uncle and WS member Towerguy was there with his family. CF, my wife and I spoke with them at length. They are great people, and were prolific WS readers and again expressed gratitude for what we have done on this forum.

Some have commented about the crowd size, hundreds not thousands. Time goes by and people move on, in addition to the rain. But, the intimacy of the crowd was palpable (I like using that word for some reason). I spoke to many of Mickey's friends and to Nancy Shunick, real intimate conversations that the celebration enabled.

Let's hang onto that piece of Mickey that lives in our hearts and never let it fade away!

IMPondering

Very touching and informative wrap up of the Mickey Shunick celebration yesterday, IMPondering.
Thanx for sharing..

re: We moved to forensics and he said that BSL/ had put cayenne pepper on the grave to keep animals and dogs away. They did check out the area with dogs and did not turn up anything else..

An old drug smuggling ruse to render the k9s ineffective ... IMPondering, seems futile to search other areas of concern with k9s. If BSL used cayenne pepper on Mickey's grave, it would be reasonable to conclude that he had used it on others too...

I have a quick question.

Did Brandon ever say to LE when he dumped the bike at Whiskey Bay?
I know LE "placed him there the morning of May 19th"

Did he murder Mickey, drive all the way home to clean his truck with her still inside, drive all the way to the cemetery woods where she was dumped and covered with branches, then brought her bike all the way to Whiskey Bay that "morning"?
Seems like it would have been day light at that point, or at least pretty close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend