CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: psychpoathy in adult males vs adult adolescents

Adult psychopathy is often described as incurable syndrome [96], and from the perspective of adult psychiatry, it would be important and cost-effective to identify those at risk of psychopathic behavior as early as possible. In our study, up to 75% of the boys with psychopathy-like personality character had had some contact with mental health services –via either child or adolescent psychiatry – prior to the index homicide. Better recognition of childhood trauma and other characteristics of youngsters with psychopathic traits would facilitate effective prevention and intervention efforts. The families with risk factors need extensively help and the children protection for avoiding the "cycle of adverse experiences" as well as the "cycle of violence" [97]. In addition, there is some new evidence that young offenders with psychopathy-like personality character might be more malleable than adults and benefit more from treatment [68].
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685380/

Interesting results of this latest study with the above snipped tidbit imo it strongly suggests exactly what human was referring to in her post upthread... Its not about blame game.. It is about recognizing and intervening with extensive assistance to help the children within homes where particular cyclical violence exists to learn how to process, cope, and not repeat those same cycles of learned abusive violent tendencies that were within their home..

Sadly tho, the results of the testing does suggest that wrt adolescents vs adult psychopathy that the minor appears to be more malleable whereas the adult appears to have no capabilities of rehabilitating their psychopathy..(tho, imo it did not sound promising as far as how malleable..jmo)

Anyhow I do know that the environment within which children are raised absolutely is a large contributing factor to the psychology of the child that eventually becomes an adult that without intervention is likely to at best repeat the cyclical learned behaviors and at worst..well..a helluva lot worse behaviors and actions..

Jmo.

She said she thought her daughter was just being paranoid, when in fact she was right.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Note to self...
Trust your gut...

My mom did the same...

One of my guesses was he was 16-23, probably in college, and living with someone because he was able to drive, the cross looked like something a young person would wear, and it looked like he was rushed in the disposal of the body.

The opinion was considered ridiculous and this is why I think all posts should be tolerated. I mean, none of us know the identity of the murderers before they're caught anyway, so every guess is just that -- a guess. It takes a minute or two to type a post, so when posts get shouted down or deleted because someone simply disagrees, it's a waste of time.

Actually there were quite a few of us who believed as you did and posted as much from the very first days of this case. I was not dismissed or made to feel silly for my opinion and am sorry if you feel you were. True many posed alternate/other thoughts but their opinions were just as valid as mine.

Turns out those of us who profiled him as you did were right. Ths time. Next time we may be way off the mark.

Webslueths is meant to be a place where many people bring their own unique ideas and expriences to hash out theories. Again, I am sorry if that was not your experience in this instance. It should have been.

I believe that the prevailing theory on psychopathy is that it is the result of both genetics and environment.

So take someone who does not have a genetic predisposition, give them a horrible childhood and no psychopathy. Take someone who does have genes predisposing them and give them an adequate childhood, no psychopathy.

Take someone who has the genetic predispostion, combine it with childhood trauma and... high risk for psychopathy. In this theory, it's a perfect storm type combination.

I don't think it is an excuse, which to me implies some sort of "well, it's okay" quality. I do think there are reasons, which do not make it okay but can point the way to how to prevent such things from happening.

I can honestly say that I have never wanted to seriously harm anyone or anything in my entire life. I'm not making a decision not to murder anyone, I'm genuinely not at all interested in doing so.

Since I am the only person whose head I can actually peek into, I tend to assume that the vast majority of people don't have any wish to murder. And that is why most people don't commit murder.

I know it's idealistic to think that things like psychopathy could someday be prevented or at least treated so that no one would be hurt but hey, I come from a religious tradition that says that the truly enlightened will refuse nirvana until all living beings are ready to enter it together (Mahayana Buddhism).

<humming "Imagine">

Yes. Austin didn't have a positive life at home.

Sigg came from a troubled home that included divorce and many run-ins with the police.

Sigg&#8217;s father, Robert Sigg, has a long arrest history, including multiple DUIs, assault, domestic violence and drug-dealing arrests.

Robert Sigg has also been involved in numerous civil actions, most recently he was convicted in 2006 for involvement in a mortgage fraud scheme after he was arrested by the FBI.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/austin-sigg-told-police-where-to-find-human-remains/

Been years since I read The Stranger Beside Me, but I thought it was more that he was bragging. I suppose this ties into the larger issue of "does confession equal remorse", and I don't recall if Bundy ever expressed remorse otherwise.

Absolutely true. I know that in the accounts of some o0f these monsters confessions, they seemed to relish discussing what they did. Like Westley Allan Dodd. So, in most cases, it;s probably not remorse that causes a psychopath to confess. But they do confess.

The fact that this kid confessed to his mom does not rule out his possible psychopathology. His treatment of Jessica's remains point to him being evil in that way. His apparent attempted abduction of a woman months earlier, likewise. He may have simply felt boxed in a corner and knew it would come out, so he told.

Or, maybe despite a cold heart or lack of remorse over the killing, maybe he has a soft spot for his mother and had to tell her the truth. Hitler, for example, was known to have loved and doted on his dogs.

Like I said, it's not black and white.

I really want to give a shout out to nursebeeme (and the other mods of course) but really nurse you are everywhere on every thread and are always polite, informative and on top of all the pressers. I really don't know how you do it!

:tyou:

First of all his DNA wasn't in any DB. And it doesn't seem that his father's DNA was in any DB.

If it's not a backlog...umm...well...as Maury Povich knows...sometimes DNA isn't gonna match...

Not that I'm implying that's the case here, just looking at explanations that could exist.

Been years since I read The Stranger Beside Me, but I thought it was more that he was bragging. I suppose this ties into the larger issue of "does confession equal remorse", and I don't recall if Bundy ever expressed remorse otherwise.

I think that once they know they are caught they want to confess to everything because there is no reason not to and it adds to there "legend" in a sick way. Kind of a yea I did it see what I'm capable of type thing.

"The source says Sigg told police he drove by Jessica Ridgeway on the morning of October 5, turned his car around and grabbed her. He brought her into the car where he hog-tied her and then he strangled her to death." - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/2...f-austin-sigg/

This almost sounds like he strangled her immediately right on her street! It doesn't say that he drove somewhere and did this to her. It says "he brought her into the car where he hog-tied.....". This makes it sound to me like he did it right then and there! How awful!!! I guess if this is the case, then she didn't have to suffer long, wondering what was going to happen - it was quick. But still, how awful and also how brazen that he could/would be strangling a little girl in the car in the bright morning, right on her own street, where anyone could have driven by.

can't recall which poster, but they put together really good visuals of the blind spots on both J's street and the location of the backpack...no house view, tall fences. If he pulled over in these spots it would be possible for no one to see from a home.
If anyone drove by, they probably weren't looking in every vehicle as they drove by...a sick thought, but possible!

Maybe someone can remember the post and put that back up?

can't recall which poster, but they put together really good visuals of the blind spots on both J's street and the location of the backpack...no house view, tall fences. If he pulled over in these spots it would be possible for no one to see from a home.
If anyone drove by, they probably weren't looking in every vehicle as they drove by...a sick thought, but possible!

Maybe someone can remember the post and put that back up?

I believe that was Zola, on thread 6, IIRC. The pics have been removed. I'll grab the link to the posts in a sec.

I don't know how to link the post. It is thread 6 post 6.

HALLELUJAH!!!!! This is the news we've all wanted to hear.

So glad he is off the streets, the people of Westminster and surrounds must be extremely relieved today.

She said she thought her daughter was just being paranoid, when in fact she was right.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Parents need to take more notice of their childrens instincts and not think they are being paranoid.

This 17 yr old monster got "lucky."

Turns out the perp was not someone who:

- knew the mother's schedule of working
- knew that JR's mother turned off her cell phone or put it elsewhere so she could get some sleep & plotted the crime based on that
- was a classmate's father
- was a member of the Ridgeway family
- was a member of the clergy
- didn't have a vehicle
- had murdered any other children
- was a RSO
- had previous prison time
- was sophisticated
- was leaving secret messages
- followed JR on foot that morning
- was in a gang
- was part of a drug or gun running or Mexican cartel
- was being initiated into some gang and this was his test

Neighbors called Sigg&#8217;s behavior odd and unusual. &#8220;He was like always really quiet and he kept to himself.&#8221;
So unusual that around the neighborhood, Sigg&#8217;s stare was noticed.
http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusive-details-about-arrest-kidnapping-of-jessica-ridgeway-revealed/

How many times have we read this same description when discussing murderers? Lots.
My prediction: Austin will be given a mental health assessment and diagnosed as schizophrenic or schizophreniform. (I believe that murderers with incurable mental illnesses should be locked up for life.)

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

"The source says Sigg told police he drove by Jessica Ridgeway on the morning of October 5, turned his car around and grabbed her. He brought her into the car where he hog-tied her and then he strangled her to death." - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/2...f-austin-sigg/

This almost sounds like he strangled her immediately right on her street! It doesn't say that he drove somewhere and did this to her. It says "he brought her into the car where he hog-tied.....". This makes it sound to me like he did it right then and there! How awful!!! I guess if this is the case, then she didn't have to suffer long, wondering what was going to happen - it was quick. But still, how awful and also how brazen that he could/would be strangling a little girl in the car in the bright morning, right on her own street, where anyone could have driven by.
:(:eek:
Cry cry cry!

not that I know of
Still trying to catch up, but has anyone heard whether Jessica and this boy's family knew each other? I believe I read that he went to school with Jessica. I also read that he grabbed her. I am just wondering if he turned around, jumped out quickly and grabbed her, how no one heard her scream. Now, if she knew him, that would explain why maybe she didn't.
Regarding whether he and jess knew one another... They actually did not go to school together as he was seven years older than her..but I think maybe what you're referring to was it being reported that back when sigg was a kid, elementary age, that he happened to also be a student of witt elementary...but not that they attended the same school at the same time..

HTH:)

Omg, Criminal minds is on now and
is about a perp having mortician training and well.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads