CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking and hoping he used ether to subdue her. how on else could her get her in the car and tied up without her fighting and screaming? I hope this is the case b/c then she just never knew what hit her, and what came after.

I hope so, too.

But I also know it is a fact that many victims freeze up, do not scream and do not fight, particularly in the first shock of an attack.

Just to be clear, feeling compassion for him does not mean I think he should be walking the streets.

I do believe that he is in some way mentally ill or mentally broken or however one visualises someone's mind that is not healthy. Part of the tragedy is that there is, so far as I can see, no treatment or cure that can be shown to be effective.

The best we can do, as a society, is to put him where he cannot continue such behaviour.

I don't want him tortured, I don't want him to be treated the way he treated Jessica but I do want him to be put away for the safety of everyone else. I wish that conditions in penitentiaries in this country were much better but for now, it is what it is. It's more important to protect society.

I completely understood that from your posts and am in agreement. My post was prompted by some of the more angry posts questioning why or how someone could give a rats patoot about what formed this fractured or incomplete soul.

I think some are really unable to see how others are able to compartmentalize feeling compassion and yet wholeheartedly wanting to see justice done for the victim and society protected.

I always look forward to reading your posts.

And with that, a very tired me will be heading to bed.

You are right. They are so smart, but such a mess. We just moved to the country and she is trouble all the time. She is a perfect example of loving life regardless of the consequences. Guess I will just have to keep her in the house. Oh well, she is sleeping peacefully at the foot of my bed while I am having a scotch and water. Funny thing, I would be doing that anyway. This case has creeped me out totally. It is so sad and I am glad they have a resolution to it.
I know what you mean. Having three daughters, I am always terrified to read about these types of child abductions. One of my daughters was the same age as Polly Klaas, when she was murdered and another one was the same age as Christina Marie Williams when she was murdered. These cases stay with you and make you feel, each time, that the world is a little less safe. But Jessica has really struck me. I work late every Tuesday, and leave around midnight. Last night, I was more alert than usual. I swore that there was something evil out there waiting in the dark to get me. I've never felt that way before. I had my thumb hovering over the "panic" button of my car key just in case.

Just an FYI maybe? I went to standley lake high school, and the kids that couldn't handle being in a conventional high school were transferred to warren tech. It is an alternative high school. I'm not trying to insinuate anything about the school by any means, but in high school when you had to go there it wasn't good news.

Matt Flener ‏@mattflener

A former classmate of Austin Sigg at Standley Lake High School tells @9NEWS Sigg was bullied for having a high voice #JessicaRidegeway

Thankfully the thousands of people who have been and are being bullied won't start murdering innocent children and dismembering them. God only knows what he did to her before that. So between bullying, divorce and financial problems, thank goodness we don't have serial killers around every corner that have had these problems in their life. Looking at the home he's been living in,I don't think the family is living in poverty, near starvation, he looks pretty healthy or has he been walking everywhere, since he had a nice vehicle.

I agree with you. And has he admitted to any sort of sexual misconduct. I have not heard that in any reports. jmo

I wonder if we will ever know? With the damage done to her poor little body, I think that may be difficult to determine. But if this did not have a sexual motivation, and he merely wanted to practice his mortuary or forensic pathology skills, why choose an adult woman and a young girl?

But imo, there is a big difference between the two. When you watch 'torture *advertiser censored*' you are watching it from a pleasurable point of view. Many are relating to the torturer and imagining themselves doing the same evil deeds to someone.

When you play video games, once again, YOU are the killer, the predator.

When people watch the news about Jessica or about a shooting in a workplace, they are usually relating to the victims, and wanting the perps to be caught.

Dave Grossman says a lot about this concept.

Parents divorced in 2000.....dads problems seem to be mostly after 2000.

Seeing what savagery was inflicted on the little body of Jessica might turn sympathetic feelings for AS into feelings of disgust.....

I thought I saw video posted a page or two back- with dads sprawling Parker mansion that stated he'd had trouble w/the law as far back as 1983- numerous counties and charges?! As well as the 2006 federal charges-

I wonder if we will ever know? With the damage done to her poor little body, I think that may be difficult to determine. But if this did not have a sexual motivation, and he merely wanted to practice his mortuary or forensic pathology skills, why choose an adult woman and a young girl?

Because he's too small to overpower an adult or even a HS male, so he realizes he should try a female. He tried the 22 year old first but couldn't succeed so he decided he would try a female child.

Based on some research I have done, I am pretty convinced that LE had a close match familial DNA profile to AS before he confessed. MOO At this point, I am not sure that the wood cross photo released by WPD is even an actual item found in evidence in these cases. Why? The video of AS wearing a similar cross that has surfaced pulled from his father's web site. I think the cross photo released by WPD & announced to be a key element in the case was just a way of jolting someone (his Mom) out of denial. Again JMO! That being said, when the case goes to trial, I'd be surprised to see a wooden cross entered into evidence.

I hope so, too.

But I also know it is a fact that many victims freeze up, do not scream and do not fight, particularly in the first shock of an attack.

I so hope this was very swift for Jessica and that she didn't feel fear for very long.
I also feel that his crimes against Jessica also involved sexual assault. I hope she wasn't aware.
I hope I'm wrong and that he didn't sexually assault her tho.
Jmo

He's being charged as an adult. Colorado law allows for this under certain circumstances, which include consideration of the type of offense and the extent of any prior criminal history. The law intends this allowance for a reason.

Being 17 didn't hinder him from being fully prepared to commit an organized brutal murder that involved dismemberment of his victim and the hauling of the victim's torso to one area, the hiding of other remains in the same home in which his mother and sibling reside, some serious clean-up somewhere along the way, and the neat depositing of the victim's personal belongings. Whether he's telling the truth about how and when he actually killed this child or not, he made a series of decisions over a period of time that, from where I'm sitting, are not a product of off the cuff adolescent reasoning.

He spent time on this crime. He found ways to not only find and abduct a victim, subdue her, tie her (this means he had a means to do so at his immediate disposal), dismember her body, separate parts he wanted to dispose of from parts he wanted to keep in his close proximity, he folded articles of clothing, placed them in the victim's pack, and left it upright on a residential sidewalk where it was sure to be noticed. Note, he didn't toss her backpack with items she had in it, as the pack existed when he encountered her - rather, he controlled what LE found in that pack and how it appeared when found. Putting clothing only he could have removed from the victim in the pack that was part of the LE description of what the public should be on alert for is, in my opinion, a thoughtfully considered behavior. A profiler, whose remarks were in MSM news articles, said it sent the message, 'I did this, I'm the one you're looking for.'

He's been described in the MSM by a friend as being "arrogant" and he was also described as "brilliant." He confessed to his mother, then confessed again to LE in some detail, yet, in my view, either told a tale that isn't entirely plausible, or, the police aren't filling in all the blanks just yet. It makes no sense to me that he simply grabbed a kid, quick hog-tied her in the car, then immediately strangled her, then transported the torso (where's the part about how she ended up "not intact"?) to the dump site, dropped off the backpack on a sidewalk, standing it up, then went home and hid the rest of her remains in the crawlspace. Just like that? Boom?

And if he did kill her that quickly, in my view, it was because he ultimately wanted a body to control and perform further acts of brutality on for his own enjoyment, and that requires goal setting and a highly organized skill set.

I worked with some scary people while doing casework in a non-profit social services environment, and what linked the sociopaths together and separated them from the rest of my clients, was the desire to talk about things that interested them in a manner that manipulated the listener and drove the conversation in a direction that was satisfying to the storyteller. On the surface, it appears this individual gave it all up because he was essentially already caught, and that may be so, but at another level, I don't buy that he's finished with exerting his control over what LE does and believes about him. He may be telling most of the truth, but I suspect he is enjoying feeling some measure of control over the disclosure of some of the details of what he's done. Frankly, his remark about "distracting" LE says to me he's been closely watching the coverage since its been theorized in the media that the backpack could be a distraction. His claim sounds like a manipulative parroting of that. Just my opinion.

For a predator, it's not just about the killing. It's about the savoring of the entire crime and re-living it, and conveying information in a controlled manner that is always about drawing attention to the perpetrator and his 'power' or skill. It's never about the victim or the families or anyone else. Victims are simply pawns in a predator's endgame.

He may only be 17, but what we know so far about him strikes me as someone who's proud of his accomplishments. He was described as "cooperative" with the police after he turned himself in at his home.

This individual also had the nerve to try and overcome an adult woman with a chemical soaked rag and he wasn't deterred by his failure. He simply sorted out a weaker victim in his culling of the herd.

In my view, he's no less cunning or tactically shrewd than any other predator simply because he happens to be in an adolescent body.

:heartbeat:

I am really having trouble envisioning how AS could have hogtied Jessica inside a car.

This reeks of BS to me. From him or the media reports, not sure which.

That's an example of what I think is common in an individual like this. The world's much like a stage to these kinds of predators. I don't think he's suddenly decided to be forthright. The 'grab, hog tie, strangle, deposit parts in Pattridge, leave the backpack, hide more parts in the crawlspace' version of his tale just sounds too breezy.

I'm sure the details will be revealed in good time, but I think he's telling the story in whatever way satisfies him in the moment, and/or perhaps allows him to covet aspects of what he's done so LE can figure it out.

If he's won an award for a forensics science competition and is allegedly fascinated with crime scenes, I can't imagine he would give everything up to LE. I would think he would enjoy watching them try to fully solve his crime.

I don't know if this has been posted, but it's pretty telling:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...y-suspect-fascinated-by-crime-scene-forensics

Based on some research I have done, I am pretty convinced that LE had a close match familial DNA profile to AS before he confessed. MOO At this point, I am not sure that the wood cross photo released by WPD is even an actual item found in evidence in these cases. Why? The video of AS wearing a similar cross that has surfaced pulled from his father's web site. I think the cross photo released by WPD & announced to be a key element in the case was just a way of jolting someone (his Mom) out of denial. Again JMO! That being said, when the case goes to trial, I'd be surprised to see a wooden cross entered into evidence.

I agree about the DNA, but AS is not an only child. They needed to figure out which kid? i don't like calling him a kid because i think he is far from being a kid. I think the cross holds a key piece to this case. IMO it is tally marks for victims. I could totally be wrong, but I really think that cross holds something of great value to the LE.

I have not read all the post, I do not know if this has been posted as an opinion.

IMO possible sexual assault, If so I just get the feeling it was not pure due to sexual gratification. I think it was possibly to cause as much fear and pain as possible to this little angel.IMO being that he tried as reported to assault one or two women and a little boy.. the pattern is a little off of sexual assault. It seems to me it was for the pure torchure and gratification of producing a dead body at his own hands, in a manner that is horrific.
I could be wrong, but when he failed to accomplish his attempted abductions. He became more frustrated and wen to a helpless little girl.

He could of very easy disposed of remaining body parts in several locations in the area. IMO he kept these as trophy type in his possesion, IMO he possibly got a thrill out of knowing the parts were at his home, perhaps to transfer them to his room at a later time to hold and get his thrill.

I think some people are born evil. IMO he was bulding up to this, If this was his first time that makes it ever more of a overwhelming need to take his fantasy to full level.

I dont know if anyone can get into the mind of these evil people, not sick people but pure evil.

(excuse the typo's my spell check is not working)

Little Angel Rest in Pease and feel the love we all send up to heaven to you. You are not safe from any harm.

ITA, I don't care what's in his psyche. He needs to be put down like the evil dog he is. If people could have visual of what he did to that poor little girl, see it for how it happened, they would expect no less. I'm so tired of victims getting left behind, because they can't be seen anymore. The killer is seen and people want to feel sorry for him, he doesn't deserve pity. If we wouldn't want to have him in our homes ten years from now, around us or our children, why would anyone want him back out to do this to someone else?
I cannot help but feel compassion for him, as difficult as that may be to understand. I look at him and see a tortured soul,and someone who is pretty clearly suffering from a serious mental illness. I can't look at him without seeing the abused and bullied child he was not all that long ago.

That does NOT in any way diminish my feelings towards the victims, or my desire to see justice for them-especially Jessica. It doesn't change the fact that I am seething with anger and outrage at the thought of what he did to that sweet, giggly 10 year old girl. If I had my druthers, Austin Sigg would get the death penalty for what he did to that precious child. As that is not an option, he should NEVER see the light of day again.

I just think there is value in trying to understand how the Austin Sigg's of the world become killers. Nobody is born a murderer, and the more we know about how that transformation is made, the better we will get at detecting the warning signs, and intervening before someones life is taken.

But I will never, ever forget about the victims. They are the ones I fight for every day.

Not to be a downer as the community is feeling the relief tonight. Rightfully so and much deserved. I do hope LE and the community remains hypervigilant, not only with Halloween coming up and the apparent rash of similar incidents in Colorado. Copycat or not. We've seen there are sick people who come out to take advantage of vulnerable communities who are on edge and there are also just sick people who prey anyhow. LE must be exhausted and they need TLC but I'm concerned nonetheless.
Unfortunately I think it's the new necessary everywhere, for children, women, and yes even men to be on constant alert. We owe it to the Jessica's to learn all we can from tragedies like this to figure out what to do better .. Personally in the few days since I've joined WS I've read so many comments and ideas that I NEVER would've thought on my own. There will always be fear but turning that into empowerment is the only option.

You are right, we all need to become more aware and maybe even put down the cell phone and ipad once in a while....One case has always haunted me, Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom (college aged couple) were tortured and murdered several years ago. This case really hit home the idea that it's not just women and kids who are at risk. Our daughters aren't necessarily safe just bc they are in the company of a trusted male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab