Hurricane Sandy updates

17017_10151288560893352_1594385689_n.jpg

(snipped)

Some more pics. 1st in Belmar NJ (what a dingbat, WHY in the world go out with your boat in these conditions?) 2nd in Seaside Heights, beach looks washed away already. Lastly, in AC, where the boardwalks are already falling apart . I have lots of friends and family in all of these beach areas. I am hoping the ones who haven't left yet REALLY consider doing so ASAP.

At first I thought it was just a boat that broke free, but I think there are people at the helm. Not smart... :no:

Theres abt 50 members of my family living halfway between Atlantic City and Philadelphia.
I am really worried.
I have been thru alot of hurricanes but they haven't.

I feel ya. I'm extremely worried about my family and friends too. Some of them refuse to leave even though it's mandatory. Not to mention, I'm located in bumble (you know what) in NJ, where trees are already coming down. I will be keeping your loved ones in my thoughts. Keep us updated!

The commentary i saw with this on facebook was that a boat that tried to go out the Belmar Inlet
I'm assuming ti was manned, i hope they made it off in one piece

We spent yesterday doing roof and gutter repairs, and securing stuff around the yard and house. Got plenty of essentials to get us through, if the power goes. Everything is shutting down, so we are going to basically hibernate and ride things out. We had a rough go of it when the derecho hit the DC area 4 months ago, so we are highly nervous about Hurricane Sandy... :(

That derecho is why I am worried, as well. Not just about everyone East, but admittedly, for us too, even all the way over here, Midwest-ish. I remember grabbing my son out of bed and watching his blanket be literally sucked off the bed and out the window as we ran down the stairs. Power was out for four days here, which is longer than the outage we had with 15 inches of snow and 2 inches of ice on top. Most of our crews are already headed for the East Coast, and we are not prepared here for 50 mph winds. We weren't in July, and we certainly aren't now.

We lost power for a whole 8 days with the derecho. I had to take my elderly mom to a hotel (we found one that did have power). My DH stayed here and eventually got a small generator. Our hotel was only 3 miles from home, so I would come and check on my husband to make sure he was okay. It was so hot we could not have my mom in that. She lives in our garage apartment next door. Now if the power goes off, we will be worried about having enough heat. My daughter, SIL and GD are in the suburbs near Dulles Airport. So worried about them.

I'm in the 8-10 inches of rain color now :what:

Are you near Wilmington or Newark? Montgomery or Chester Co? Chester County is always so badly hit with downed trees and flooding also.

Can I ask a huge favor? Please remember my mom Jan in your prayers tonight. She hasn't answered my calls this weekend (she usually calls back after a while anyway), but she's in her 80s, has mobility issues, and I don't think she realizes how big and bad this storm is.

Thanks so much...

Best-
Herding Cats

Can I ask a huge favor? Please remember my mom Jan in your prayers tonight. She hasn't answered my calls this weekend (she usually calls back after a while anyway), but she's in her 80s, has mobility issues, and I don't think she realizes how big and bad this storm is.

Thanks so much...

Best-
Herding Cats

Gotcha covered. :)

Well, well. I'm in a huff. I saved the laundry for last, went down to the basement a couple of hours ago, and both washers and both dryers were unplugged (we're in an apt/condo). I plugged a washer in and washed our sheets - the only thing left. When I went to use the dryer, I noticed the vents had been pulled from the wall vent. ??? So being ever so determined, I plugged a dryer in, connected the vents, and threw our sheets in. Went down later: cold and wet. I ran it again and watched it. Opened up to check: stone cold. When DH came in from checking on our boat, I asked him about it. He went down: the gas has been cut off to the washers/dryers.

ONLY the Coin Mach people do that. The maintenance folks won't touch those machines. I went to another building. SAME THING.

I have no problem with them doing something like this in preparation for the storm, but for God's sake - put up a sign so stubborn folks like me don't end up with wet sheets at bedtime. Yes, we have backups, but those are the softest... :sigh:

LOL@belimom

I am not hearing too much from our family. The kids up in Lancaster pa are watching Living Dead movies, lol.
Another in south jersey said waves in Cape May are 19 ft, supposed wall of water coming into jersey. I don't know what that means.

In Allentown PA, there is rain and wind. Heavy wind, and rain. And these are only the beginning edge. The streets are full of leaves, and some trees have already fallen. All of the schools, and business are closed. This is not just gonna go away. It is the big one.....

Just heard on the Weather Channel, PA is calling in 16,000 Nat'l Guard.

We are underwater here in Virginia Beach....!

You know, I really wonder what is going to happen when the systems from the west collides with this mother....which it surely will because it's almost stationary. That is the snow from the Dakotas from yesterday. Will it just get sucked in and then loop around to dump more snow? Maybe the meteorologists aren't ready to spring it on us yet? LOL

I'm in eastern Ohio and the doppler just looks stalled over us with solid rain. No winds yet, although we are in a high wind warning till Tuesday at 12 p.m....Right now I have crossed fingers we won't see any of the white stuff, but we lost power for about an hour tonight, due to some other unforeseen reason. I think I will be going to the store tomorrow just to make sure I have enough batteries and bottled water also. Stay safe, everyone in this monster's path!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back