Hurricane Sandy updates

Before anyone loses power, I want to wish all of you in the storm's way good luck with staying safe, dry, and warm. Please check in when you can... :grouphug:

If I may offer a bit of advice from an Ike survivor (most of us were out of power for 2+ weeks), don't rely too much on your generators. Gas stations will run out of gas and the ones that can pump gas (with electricity) will have lines 3 miles long (not kidding). If you have any meat in the freezer, cook it up tonight just in case. And get some cards and board games. It gets super boring after a while. :)

If I may offer a bit of advice from an Ike survivor (most of us were out of power for 2+ weeks), don't rely too much on your generators. Gas stations will run out of gas and the ones that can pump gas (with electricity) will have lines 3 miles long (not kidding). If you have any meat in the freezer, cook it up tonight just in case. And get some cards and board games. It gets super boring after a while. :)

Been there myself. Nothing like having to throw out groceries from the freezer from power out for 2-days. that went bad. Very sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding power, we have a generator with 2 5-gallon cans full of gas, plus two full tanks in our vehicles, and a manual syphon if we need it. But, it's better this time than in the summer b/c it will be fairly cool following the storm for a few days at least. Unlike summer when it was stifling hot...

Ok, the winds have picked up here (southern PA/ DE border) to the point that I think my power is going to go out fairly soon. Stay safe everyone, have a good time and see you all on the other side of Sandy!

If you have any meat in the freezer, cook it up tonight just in case. And get some cards and board games. It gets super boring after a while. :)

As another Ike survivor, I second this advice. After Ike a bunch of us brought all of our meat up to the police station where we had generators operating everything, including the multiple refridgerators. We cooked everything up and ate like Kings!

Of course, we needed the calories with all the work we were doing in our on duty time.

My poor saintly wife had just gone shopping two days before Ike and filled up the refridgerator. We lost most of it.....

Be safe my dear friends.

God Bless all and my thoughts are with you.

xoox
Goz

Ok, the winds have picked up here (southern PA/ DE border) to the point that I think my power is going to go out fairly soon. Stay safe everyone, have a good time and see you all on the other side of Sandy!

I'm thinking the same thing here... It's just a matter of time before one of these many beautiful old trees, that are currently soaked, come down on a line somewhere. At least we have a gas stove, as well as a camping stove with little propane tanks. Because I have tons of frozen stews, chilis, and soups in the freezer.

And THAT is why we bought a generator. No amount of money can replace the work that goes into homemade food like that, including chicken stock from scratch. If needed, we'll run it just to keep the freezer going.

More details on the HMS Bounty: - explaining about the 3 people washed off the ship, and one made it to raft. Hence the missing two crew members. :(

"Three people washed off their crippled ship and engulfed by Atlantic seas roiled by Hurricane Sandy scrambled for help on Monday, the U.S. Coast Guard said.
But only one made to safety.

When crew members of the famed HMS Bounty realized their lives were in danger off North Carolina's Outer Banks in the dark morning hours, they made a short journey they hoped they'd never have to take -- to two waiting life rafts.

But only 13 of the 16 people aboard got off the ship safely, initially, and only one of the three washed overboard made it into a raft, Coast Guard Vice Adm. Robert Parker told CNN.

The two missing crew members face "extraordinary conditions" in the frenzied sea where rescue efforts intensified, Parker said.

More at http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/sandy-bounty-ship/index.html?hpt=us_c2

Well, there he went. My DH got the first emergency call (tree on house)..my nephew and son haven't followed yet but it's only a matter of time. Please keep them in your prayers. The wind is vicious here, not much rain yet, but I know our area is not going to be the worst hit so I am counting our blessings. The lights have been flickering for hours but not more than that yet- seems to suggest an outage is imminent. We have a couple of generators which we've never used but may have to this time. But, from listening to someone on the news, the gas will probably run out before the electricity returns if it's a major outage like many had around here with Irene.
Praying for all my fellow WS'ers, especially those in the worst areas like the Jersey shore.

More details on the HMS Bounty: - explaining about the 3 people washed off the ship, and one made it to raft. Hence the missing two crew members. :(

I hope for the best but fear for the worst.

And the ship is a sad loss too. She was beautiful!

Tappan Zee bridge closing at 4:00, run if your gonna! LOL

Just had a neighbor's tree go down in his yard (old,tall, skinny & split maple). It flattened his above ground pool. I heard it crack like lightning and saw it fall.

I think it is time to go underground:what:

Also, my mom's leaning pined finally leaned all the way over.:anguish:

Howling pretty bad here now too. So will say bye in case I lose power, and best wishes for all here to come through safely!

:peace:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back