Australia Australia - Leisl Smith, 23, Wallarah, NSW, 19 Aug 2012 *arrest in 2019, died during trial*

Bumping for Leisl. In light of the past couple of days events and the news about Sarah Cafferkey, some good news about this missing woman would be wonderful.

Hi All,

I'm Leisl's eldest sister. I have read the posts and would like to clear up a few things that have been asked.

Firstly, she was listed as missing within 24 hours of her not returning home when she stated she would be. As you would all know, going missing is not a crime in Australia, and it was hoped that she might have simply broken down somewhere and not been able to get into contact with the family for us to go and get her.

It has been in the media: mostly facebook although there have been some newspaper print articles about her dissappearance, but they were local papers and not state/national ones.

While I know it's frustrating that you do not have all the details, suffice to say, neither do we. The police aren't telling us everything for whatever reasons that they have in undertaking the investigation and with the details that we do have, much of it we have been asked to keep to ourselves for a variety of reasons.

Trust me, it's more than frustrating for us, not knowing where she is or if she is ok or that the police can't tell us everything that they know.

What we do know is that something serious has obviously happened for her to not access her phone, bank accounts or to be present for the birth of her foal, which was the highlight for her to be there for. While we hope against hope that it isn't the worst, which is looming as a distinct possibility, the longer it goes on, the worse the possible outcome obviously.

Part of the reason that many people may feel that they are only just hearing about it now is because the police have widened their avenues of investigations and extended the resources that they use in looking for missing persons. The most baffling thing about this case is that apart from the CCTV at the station, there is nothing else of her. She has literally just vanished in to thin air.

As you can imagine it's very hard.

Like multitudes of others in a similar position ,all we can simply do is wait. And hope for the best.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to PM me or ask here and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers,
J.

Hi All,

I'm Leisl's eldest sister. I have read the posts and would like to clear up a few things that have been asked.

Firstly, she was listed as missing within 24 hours of her not returning home when she stated she would be. As you would all know, going missing is not a crime in Australia, and it was hoped that she might have simply broken down somewhere and not been able to get into contact with the family for us to go and get her.

It has been in the media: mostly facebook although there have been some newspaper print articles about her dissappearance, but they were local papers and not state/national ones.

While I know it's frustrating that you do not have all the details, suffice to say, neither do we. The police aren't telling us everything for whatever reasons that they have in undertaking the investigation and with the details that we do have, much of it we have been asked to keep to ourselves for a variety of reasons.

Trust me, it's more than frustrating for us, not knowing where she is or if she is ok or that the police can't tell us everything that they know.

What we do know is that something serious has obviously happened for her to not access her phone, bank accounts or to be present for the birth of her foal, which was the highlight for her to be there for. While we hope against hope that it isn't the worst, which is looming as a distinct possibility, the longer it goes on, the worse the possible outcome obviously.

Part of the reason that many people may feel that they are only just hearing about it now is because the police have widened their avenues of investigations and extended the resources that they use in looking for missing persons. The most baffling thing about this case is that apart from the CCTV at the station, there is nothing else of her. She has literally just vanished in to thin air.

As you can imagine it's very hard.

Like multitudes of others in a similar position ,all we can simply do is wait. And hope for the best.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to PM me or ask here and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers,
J.

Hi there

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I live on the coast too - I spoke to Nicole from the Australian Missing Persons Register the other day and she mentioned your mum may need help with posters? Please let me know if you do.

I have a few questions if you don't mind -

- By not accessing her phone, does that mean the phone is dead or it's just ringing out?
- I guess the police looked at CCTV along the other side of Wyong Road and at the Westfield?

Hi All,

Hi eccsci & welcome to Websleuths. Thanks for the information. Prayers, thoughts & hope that Leisl is found safe soon.

Hello eccsci and thank you so much for taking the time to post here :) I hope the police, with the public's help, can help your family and friends find some answers as soon as possible.

This woman did not just walk away from her animals. From people maybe, but animal nuts are not going to miss the special times with their animals, especially when they are expecting something major like a baby foal.

Polilce should be doing an all court press and hopefully the family can get some interviews with the media to get her name and face out there. Especially with the time lapse, the more coverage the better.

I always get a really bad feeling when a missing person has not accessed their phone or credit cards. I hope against hope that Leisl maybe just needed to get away for whatever reason and that she is safe though.

Hi Edinburgh Lass,

My understanding is that she has not accessed her phone. If it had simply died, I believe the police would have been able to access it and determine if it had run out of battery. If it was riming it it may still ha r some charge. The thing is her bank accounts haven't been accessed to pay for credit or to pay her bill which leads us to believe it's not just a case of a dead battery.

I would think that the police would have accessed all CCTv that they could have in the area to try and determine her movements.

As for putting up posters, I am not ware of what our mum is doing but I do know that our dad is getting posters printed to put up in the Hunter Valley/ New England areas.

Thanks to everyone else for their well wishes. Hopefully we do find her and find her soon.
Cheers
J

I hope she is found soon. It must be agonising as the days drag on.

The birth of her foal must have been so exciting, I'm sure she didn't want to miss it! Hell, I'm not even a horse person and it is not something I would miss given the chance to watch something so amazing!

We are in Perth and I haven't come across her story before which makes me so sad.

This woman did not just walk away from her animals. From people maybe, but animal nuts are not going to miss the special times with their animals, especially when they are expecting something major like a baby foal.

Polilce should be doing an all court press and hopefully the family can get some interviews with the media to get her name and face out there. Especially with the time lapse, the more coverage the better.

I lost my beloved horse last December. There is a special bond between women and horses. I don't believe for one millisecond that Leisl left her babies. Someone must know something:no:.

305607_379339902109879_666990508_n.jpg

Is there a "Find Leisl" Facebook page? I tried to find one but my FB refuses to show results (even for people I know are there!)

Also, for locals - is there any reason why you would park at the station if you weren't catching a train? On Google Maps I noticed there was an equestrian shop across the highway but it has it's own parking.

Is there a "Find Leisl" Facebook page? I tried to find one but my FB refuses to show results (even for people I know are there!)

Also, for locals - is there any reason why you would park at the station if you weren't catching a train? On Google Maps I noticed there was an equestrian shop across the highway but it has it's own parking.

:bump: to see if anyone can answer my question..

Ok so I have looked at Leisl's fb page before, but today when I search, it is listed with all the other Leisl Smiths (hers has a horse in the profile pic) but when I click on it I get a "page not found" message. Maybe something is happening ... fingers crossed.

I can't find any special pages set up by others to help find Leisl. Some people/families just aren't into fb at all, so it's understandable. I have a peek on fb myself daily, but I rarely post myself. I just like seeing friend's photos/travels/babies etc - makes me feel like a nosey parker :) I'd set up a page for a missing family member in a heartbeat however, and pester everyone I could - just in case someone came out of the woodwork with some new info.

I still think the fact that the NSW police set up Strikeforce WEHL specifically to pursue Leisl's case may mean that they know much more than we are aware of - hopefully anyway.

The NSW Police Media release here

:moo:

Ok so I have looked at Leisl's fb page before, but today when I search, it is listed with all the other Leisl Smiths (hers has a horse in the profile pic) but when I click on it I get a "page not found" message. Maybe something is happening ... fingers crossed.

I can't find any special pages set up by others to help find Leisl. Some people/families just aren't into fb at all, so it's understandable. I have a peek on fb myself daily, but I rarely post myself. I just like seeing friend's photos/travels/babies etc - makes me feel like a nosey parker :) I'd set up a page for a missing family member in a heartbeat however, and pester everyone I could - just in case someone came out of the woodwork with some new info.

I still think the fact that the NSW police set up Strikeforce WEHL specifically to pursue Leisl's case may mean that they know much more than we are aware of - hopefully anyway.

The NSW Police Media release here

:moo:

Thank you for this - her FB was there yesterday, I was sleuthing it, now it's gone. Something is def happening, please God it isn't more sadness.

This is the page from NSW Police LAC -Tuggerah. One of the comments refers to the equestrian shop.
Have the police considered <modsnip: See more at link> 15 November at 17:48 ·

https://www.facebook.com/TuggerahLakesLAC/posts/482081351826578

Missing Person - Leisl Smith

Tuggerah Lakes Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a woman missing from the Central Coast.

Leisl Smith, aged 23, was last seen about 1pm on Sunday 19 August 2012, leaving her Wallarah home.

Ms Smith failed to return home and has since been reported to Police.

At the time of her disappearance, Ms Smith was driving a silver coloured Honda Accord, registration number BJO27S. This vehicle was later recovered at Tuggerah railway station commuter car park. It is believed that the vehicle had been there since Ms Smith went missing on 19 August 2012. Police would ask anyone that may have seen Ms Smith on this date, possibly in the Tuggerah, or Wyong areas, to contact Police.

Police now have grave concerns for the welfare of Ms Smith, as she has not been seen since her disappearance on 19 August.

She is described as being caucasion appearance, with a thin build, brown eyes and dyed blonde hair.

Anyone with information about Ms Smith;s current location, or recent movements, is asked to contact Tuggerah Lakes Police at Wyong Police Station on 02 43566202, or Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.

The only reason I can think of is that she had arranged to meet someone who was picking her up there. I think train station parking is usually untimed or long-term timed to allow for commuters who will be away all day (it's a big commuter area as Sydney isn't far away). If she was visiting one of the shops, there would be no reason to park at the station as it would be on the total opposite side of the road to where she needed to be. Even if she was going to a business with no parking, there is plenty of street parking.

The station would be a logical place to arrange to meet someone - if the person is from Sydney or Newcastle or coming from those directions, it's only 5 minutes from the freeway entry/exit and it's on a main road - no detours are needed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back