Match! MO - St Louis Co, WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

I am from St Louis, Have any of you contacted Riverfront Times or KDHX? Perhaps they can help? Also perhaps Contact 2 ( local news station that runs segments about odd concerns IE cold cases) I am not sure about this but MAYBE Jennifer Joyce (AG) or Dr.Mary Case ( ME) could maybe light a fire?Dr case is STL city ME but as she is cheif at a large city, maybe her office and can help. Also there is Major Case Squad, it investigates murders that cross over to ILL.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info!!! I will pass it on to Cynthia's daughter. She is still getting the run around. Someone out there has to have some kind of pull to be able to extract more DNA from this UID.

I am trying to get ahold of a friend of mine who does a radio show for the RFT radio, he is just a random disk jocky but he is friends with one of the reporters for the RFT so might be able to help. Also there are a grouping of news papaer called the Suburban Journals that are small and local to each suburb of St louis. Maybe one of them can help. MIZZOU might also be able to help I THINK they have a fornisics lab there. Please send me a message if you have any other quesionss, I would love to help out.

Any update?

The family is still playing the waiting game. I actually emailed Cynthia's daughter last week to see if anything new came up.. The LE that is supposed to be in charge of her case are basically worthless.

It will be two years next month that I turned this case in to LE... This waiting is crazy.... All they need is a DNA sample from the UID... (they took a sample from a hair band awhile back but didn't extract enough)

Unbelievable.

That poor family. To potentially be so close...

Still waiting for DNA results...and have been advised to continue waiting. One thing for sure, the Day family has patience.

WOW! Just finished reading this entire thread... I would really hate to be a missing person in St. Louis County, IL! Actually, I never want to be missing, but this is absolutly ridiculous! Poor family.

It isnt St Louis PD at all unless they take the case to the major case squad. Generally right over the river is east St Louis.. technically Ill. That is one of the issues, though we would love it for LE to always communicate they dont. Esp back then. If she had been found is a town called Sauget it would have been even worse. Alot of that area was and still is to some degree very corrupt. :(

So in April 2012 they still can't say if this UD is Cynthia or not? <growl> Her poor family.

Starting to kinda of wonder if it really does take this long for DNA comparisons. SMH Still haven't heard ONE WORD from anyone regarding the referenced Jane Doe.

I think WE should take a trip down to the University of Texas and shake some things up!!! Your family shouldn't have to wait this freakin long!!!
:banghead:

National City, IL in 1990 was an area that was not bad, Stockyards, meatpacking companies. Even though it was between Brooklyn, IL and East St.Louis, it was not a bad area as many would think. I believe Fairmont IL took over/annexed this city's property. I am still unsure after reading who in IL is handling case.

While Cynthia Day's daughter is 99% sure these remains are Cynthia, they still can't say it's her for sure... Why... because they are unable to extract enough DNA from the remains... The remains were boiled during the autospy to see if they could see any strike marks, and that is the reasoning why they can't extract enough... So now is the dentals... they can't find Cynthia's dentals. Her daughter contacted her mom's dentist and they destroyed records more than 15 years .. (Cynthia has been missing since 1990)

I had the pleasure of speaking to the daughter on the phone for the first time yesterday. We have been exchanging emails and we are friends on facebook for the past 2 1/2 years since I turned this into the Missouri Highway Patrol.

I really feel for this family... they have been given the run around and don't know what else to do. Cynthia's daughter even told the detective that is the one on the case with the remains to try and do whatever it takes to see if some other kind of testing can be done... To think that this could be a loved one of his....

NamUs even updated the UID's profile to say not enough DNA is able to be extracted to make a match...https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5294

My heart is with Cynthia's family and to all those famlies that have loved ones missing...

I just got an email from NamUs about a change to the NamUs profile for this UID:

No reportable mitochondrial DNA results or STR results obtained after 3 attempts

Ahh!!! Cynthia's family is still having problems finding her dental records. All they need is some kind of identification (dentals, DNA) to say that this her their mom so they can bring her home and they can have "some" closure.

It will be 3 years on Dec 30th that I turned this possible match in. I honestly would have thought by now that this would be solved. :banghead:

Prayers to Cynthia and her family. It looks like another Christmas will go by without having closure.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/id-issue-blocks-family-from-claiming-presumed-remains/article_77cc369a-b40c-5150-9905-a57a665cf65b.html

“I just want somebody to be able to say it’s her,” Melody Day said, sitting at the dining room table in her home recently. “I want to bring her home and put her to rest.”

Cynthia Day, a diminutive blonde with a wide smile and pronounced cheekbones, lived with a boyfriend in a Fairmont City motel. Her daughters, Melody and Kimberly, who lived with a grandmother, visited her Aug. 10, 1990. Melody, a recent high school graduate, joined Kimberly in showing off the family’s latest addition, Kimberly’s newborn son.

A BODY IN MISSOURI

That August, about 100 miles away in Pike County, Mo., the decomposing body of an unidentified woman was discovered below a scenic overlook, off Highway 79. Investigators determined she had been there three or four days. They classified it as a homicide, from blunt force trauma to the head. There was no suspect, nor any link to the woman missing from Metro East.
A year later, the remains were sent to the Colorado Forensic Science Lab for facial reconstruction, in hopes that distributing a photo might identify her. Technicians there boiled her bones, Stephen Korte, the sheriff in Pike County, explained recently. “I have been told that it was common practice in the early ’90s to boil the bones as a means of preservation.”

More at link...

My heart breaks for this family...

Thanks for the update. I think about Cynthia and her daughter's often. I hope and pray they get the answers they need soon.

I just got an email from NamUs about a change to the NamUs profile for this UID:

No reportable mitochondrial DNA results or STR results obtained after 3 attempts

Ahh!!! Cynthia's family is still having problems finding her dental records. All they need is some kind of identification (dentals, DNA) to say that this her their mom so they can bring her home and they can have "some" closure.

It will be 3 years on Dec 30th that I turned this possible match in. I honestly would have thought by now that this would be solved. :banghead:

Prayers to Cynthia and her family. It looks like another Christmas will go by without having closure.

I was googling something else; some how ended up at the story Illinois family wants to put woman's remains to rest, but ID issue stands in the way & spent the last hour reading the thread.

Did they take any crime scene or coroner photos? If so; it's possible a computer image can be made from them that will allow a facial ID.

Did they save any of her hair before they boiled the bones? It's said they were going to reconstruct the victim; is it too much to hope they saved the hair to make it more accurate?

Did they save Jane's clothing or just the hair tie?

Next & last thought; does anyone know where the Jane Doe's teeth are? I'm crossing my fingers here because I can offer a suggestion.

~Hugs to the family. I can't imagine the hell you're being put through.

Bumping for Cynthia, her family and Jane Doe. Answers. Answers. Answers.

Namus entry does list three exclusions now: Hazel Klug, Patricia Schmidt, and Tiffany Sessions.

Still no DNA. Still no other updates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back