Sidebar for Caylee Anthony's forum #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/B]

Well, I did not go to lengths and quote experts regarding my opinions but I could because genetics vs. socialization is something I have been a life student of all my life, based on my own genetics. I simply used a "light" example of gestures as an example. Patterning is genetic period.

Psychologists and psychiatrists will never give a definitive answer on any issue, they simply use guidelines.

BBM: My argument exactly. A baby or a child's brain has not yet completely formed, but genetics will play a major role as it does develop. Let's bear in mind that what you and I are both expressing are opinions only. You have yours and I have mine.

Logical,

I enjoy posting with you and I enjoy your posts, I am totally okay with the fact that we have a different opinion. I am positive that I pointed that out in my posts. To give everyone, including you and I, a break from this subject, this will be my last post regarding the matter.

Genetics play a role, yes. I agreed with you that they did. I disagreed that they were the only factor in any situation, which you expressed that you believe to be true in some instances. It is widely believed, according to the current research and professionals in the field, that genes give us potential , while socialization acts on that potential to make us who we are and how we behave.

At this point in time, Few Scholars disagree (on either side) that it is not Nature VS Nurture, but rather it is, Nature AND Nurture that shape us. Genes and socialization interact in such a complex way with so many variables it would be virtually impossible to discuss all of it here.

As the research used in the field suggests, Genes are a basic unit that contribute to particular traits a person MAY have, socialization can either trigger that gene or counter it. That is the empirical research and the widespread belief and approach used by professionals.

There has been an actual gene found to be associated with sociopathic men. But the research shows that abusive social conditions seems to trigger the gene.

Men with the gene who suffer abuse are more likely to become sociopathic.

On the opposite side, boys with the gene who had not suffered abuse tend not to be sociopathic as men. And boys who were abused and did not posses the gene tend not to become sociopathic. (CASPI)

So the socialization seems to trigger the gene. It was also found that it can contribute to countering genes. (SHANAHAN) Found that boys who had the sociopathic gene and had suffered abuse, also tended to suffer from depression. The study found that consistent access to a supportive social environment (family and friends) significantly reduced depression in those children.

Those studies, amongst others, have found that socialization cannot only trigger genes, it can counter them as well, pointing to the fact that human beings are more than their biology. Biology and genetics give us capacities and potential, socialization and culture with that biology make us and our behaviors distinct. Biological determination would also not account for the resilience of many children and adults. If a person is at the mercy of their genes that means that there is no room for change or growth, and we know that not to be true in so many situations and cases.

Psychologists use guidelines yes, because nothing is absolute, such as being born "evil" or sociopathic would suggest. That is not a guideline that I have ever been taught or have ever seen used in the field.

The other reason most don't subscribe to biological determinism (born evil, born deviant) is because it has been historically used, in horrific ways,to explain "society" in biological terms. ( I am not saying that you ascribe to that) Biological determinism was used to justify Slavery. Genocide. It has also been used to justify economic inequities, sexism, and racist beliefs.

It has obviously been disproved in all areas that it was used in the past. And in the field and professions, it is considered very dangerous ground.

Therefore, all of the current research points to genetics being a contributing factor at times, but ultimately, the socialization and the environment's effect on those genetics are profound.

That being said, I respect your right to have a differing opinion, and I have always respected your posts and enjoyed your debates. We will just have to agree to disagree and move on. I have enjoyed the friendly sparring.

Logical,

I enjoy posting with you and I enjoy your posts, I am totally okay with the fact that we have a different opinion. I am positive that I pointed that out in my posts. To give everyone, including you and I, a break from this subject, this will be my last post regarding the matter.

Genetics play a role, yes. I agreed with you that they did. I disagreed that they were the only factor in any situation, which you expressed that you believe to be true in some instances. It is widely believed, according to the current research and professionals in the field, that genes give us potential , while socialization acts on that potential to make us who we are and how we behave.

At this point in time, Few Scholars disagree (on either side) that it is not Nature VS Nurture, but rather it is, Nature AND Nurture that shape us. Genes and socialization interact in such a complex way with so many variables it would be virtually impossible to discuss all of it here.

As the research used in the field suggests, Genes are a basic unit that contribute to particular traits a person MAY have, socialization can either trigger that gene or counter it. That is the empirical research and the widespread belief and approach used by professionals.

There has been an actual gene found to be associated with sociopathic men. But the research shows that abusive social conditions seems to trigger the gene.

Men with the gene who suffer abuse are more likely to become sociopathic.

On the opposite side, boys with the gene who had not suffered abuse tend not to be sociopathic as men. And boys who were abused and did not posses the gene tend not to become sociopathic. (CASPI)

So the socialization seems to trigger the gene. It was also found that it can contribute to countering genes. (SHANAHAN) Found that boys who had the sociopathic gene and had suffered abuse, also tended to suffer from depression. The study found that consistent access to a supportive social environment (family and friends) significantly reduced depression in those children.

Those studies, amongst others, have found that socialization cannot only trigger genes, it can counter them as well, pointing to the fact that human beings are more than their biology. Biology and genetics give us capacities and potential, socialization and culture with that biology make us and our behaviors distinct. Biological determination would also not account for the resilience of many children and adults. If a person is at the mercy of their genes that means that there is no room for change or growth, and we know that not to be true in so many situations and cases.

Psychologists use guidelines yes, because nothing is absolute, such as being born "evil" or sociopathic would suggest. That is not a guideline that I have ever been taught or have ever seen used in the field.

The other reason most don't subscribe to biological determinism (born evil, born deviant) is because it has been historically used, in horrific ways,to explain "society" in biological terms. ( I am not saying that you ascribe to that) Biological determinism was used to justify Slavery. Genocide. It has also been used to justify economic inequities, sexism, and racist beliefs.

It has obviously been disproved in all areas that it was used in the past. And in the field and professions, it is considered very dangerous ground.

Therefore, all of the current research points to genetics being a contributing factor at times, but ultimately, the socialization and the environment's effect on those genetics are profound

That being said, I respect your right to have a differing opinion, and I have always respected your posts and enjoyed your debates. We will just have to agree to disagree and move on. I have enjoyed the friendly sparring.

That is a lot of information and thank you - most I am already familiar with. Just wanted to point out - I have never intended anyone to believe I was saying genetics was the only factor and sociopaths can't be socialized.

My issue with some of the above is we speak of current research, nothing is aboslute, and specifically that abusive backgrounds can trigger sociopathic behavior - but it will also trigger very violent behavior in the non-sociopathic person. And there are many levels of triggers for sociopaths and many levels of sociopaths. Not all sociopaths kill - our political and stock market arenas are littered with them.

What at this stage I emphatically believe it that sociopaths,without the gene, are
not created by enviornment only.

You are obviously talented and passionate about your choice of study and I wish you every success. I've walked a different road and I'm old an a little cynical. I'm the one on the edge yelling - OMG - a miracle has just occurred - two psychiatrists actually agreed on a diagnosis.:seeya:

May I say that as much as I can't stand anything FCA, I would never do something to her food as it would lower me to close to her level. I find that kind of behavior childish and gross.

Yes, I second that comment!!

First thing I thought of when I saw the FCA in the restaurant pic was that the staff probably spit in her food. Then it got to me thinking about Super Troopers when Farva orders a burger.

FCA: Give me a large order of wings
Waiter (into microphone): Large wings. It's for Casey Anthony.
FCA: What the hell's that all about? You gonna spit in it now?
Waiter: No, I just told him that so he makes it good.

I know, please forgive...off topic question here. Anyone know what kind of vehicles the Ant's drive these days?

Eating with two paid "friends" is probably decent punishment for someone who wanted to be the live of the party IMO. This is obviously not the wonderful life she thought she was going to lead....what a despicable idiot.

Not sure if anyone has said, but what the heck is on her head?

That is a lot of information and thank you - most I am already familiar with. Just wanted to point out - I have never intended anyone to believe I was saying genetics was the only factor and sociopaths can't be socialized.

My issue with some of the above is we speak of current research, nothing is aboslute, and specifically that abusive backgrounds can trigger sociopathic behavior - but it will also trigger very violent behavior in the non-sociopathic person. And there are many levels of triggers for sociopaths and many levels of sociopaths. Not all sociopaths kill - our political and stock market arenas are littered with them.

What at this stage I emphatically believe it that sociopaths,without the gene, are
not created by enviornment only.

You are obviously talented and passionate about your choice of study and I wish you every success. I've walked a different road and I'm old an a little cynical. I'm the one on the edge yelling - OMG - a miracle has just occurred - two psychiatrists actually agreed on a diagnosis.:seeya:

BBM

I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just providing some more information.

http://www.archetypewriting.com/articles/psychology/sociopaths.htm

...According to Dr. Martha Stout, a clinical psychologist on the faculty at Harvard Medical School, a surprising number of people are sociopathic. In “The Sociopath Next Door,” she writes that 1 in 25 people is sociopathic. Thanks to such a broad definition, she has been both praised and criticized....

I've also heard that number applied to CEO's. I agree with you that a lot (If you consider 4% a lot, and I do) of the people who are in charge of us are psychopaths. While 4% seems small the amount of power those people have affects a much, much higher percentage of society.

JMO

May I say that as much as I can't stand anything FCA, I would never do something to her food as it would lower me to close to her level. I find that kind of behavior childish and gross.

Well maybe not in her food but how about in her face?
I saw enough of that guilty ugly mug during the trial, if I ever see her in person I might not be able to be the lady that I am.:moo:

It's a beret. As worn with style by the likes of Selena Gomez, Lea Michele, the Olsen twins, and others.

But in this case, I'd call it a felon Fail. IMO she looks more like Bonnie Parker, Patty Hearst or Susan Atkins.

:camera: Gotta agree with ANJ on this one. The pic was allegedly snapped last Friday. Yet it happened to be published as "an exclusive" on Tuesday, December 11, the four-year anniversary of the day Caylee's remains were discovered.

As FCA herself would say, "Sounds like a plan."

JMO

ETA:

P.S. Didn't you know? The good guys always wear the white hats. :shutup:

Eating with two paid "friends" is probably decent punishment for someone who wanted to be the live of the party IMO. This is obviously not the wonderful life she thought she was going to lead....what a despicable idiot.

I wonder who is paying for these "friends"?
Also, FCA must not be hurting too bad if she's got a new beanie? LOL

I can't imagine anyone protecting her out of the goodness of their hearts let alone providing her with all her living expenses, lodging and transportation all this time? It's been over a year now since Dr. Phil's donation. She also had all those donations that were mailed to the law office for her.

Could she be "working" under the table for the PIs or for Quinco at her apartment?

FWIW on Hal Boedeker's page today ( re the sighting) someone has posted that the second guy with her is Steve Helling (author) - so that explains how the photo got in the news - if it's true of course..

FWIW on Hal Boedeker's page today ( re the sighting) someone has posted that the second guy with her is Steve Helling (author) - so that explains how the photo got in the news - if it's true of course..

That makes me sick. I wouldn't be surprised to see that she held back some of Caylee's pictures for her to use in her new debut in whatever format it's in, book or interview.

What has he written anyway? I'm off to search again.

ETA - Well, he's a staff writer for People magazine, etc.....author, TV guest on numerous shows.
Also, he is selling his book "Outrage: The Casey Anthony Story." He's interviewed over 200 people for this including jurors!

Do we know about this book?

It's a beret. As worn with style by the likes of Selena Gomez, Lea Michele, the Olsen twins, and others.

But in this case, I'd call it a felon Fail. IMO she looks more like Bonnie Parker, Patty Hearst or Susan Atkins.

:camera: Gotta agree with ANJ on this one. The pic was allegedly snapped last Friday. Yet it happened to be published as "an exclusive" on Tuesday, December 11, the four-year anniversary of the day Caylee's remains were discovered.

As FCA herself would say, "Sounds like a plan."

JMO

ETA:

P.S. Didn't you know? The good guys always wear the white hats. :shutup:

Okay, surprise, surprise - jose's buddy, Jane Velez Mitchell is having a segment on the "sighting" tonight.

Yeah right.

Oh and Steve H was cindy's friend (bench buddies in court!) for a long time too, right? So if he is the unknown 3rd diner - well, yeah......... surprise, surprise.

Well, I looked up the book on Amazon and it's an e-book all of 95 pages already marked down to $3.99 half price from its debut September 2011.

I read through some of the comments and one of interest that I hadn't heard about before was that the 1/2 credit FCA was shy on was incorrect, that it was actually 5 credits, mainly due to truancy, and no, she never graduated. I read some more and then could never find that particular comment again. I was reading thru comments and forums so I may have missed it.

ETA - I found it! It's a comment under a Review comment about the 1/2 credit.

Or if Minnie from 'The help' worked there, with a big piece of chocolate pie for her..:floorlaugh:

Well maybe not in her food but how about in her face?
I saw enough of that guilty ugly mug during the trial, if I ever see her in person I might not be able to be the lady that I am.:moo:

I'm voting with the poster who said the chocolate pie, from Minni in The Help

Well, I looked up the book on Amazon and it's an e-book all of 95 pages already marked down to $3.99 half price from its debut September 2011.

I read through some of the comments and one of interest that I hadn't heard about before was that the 1/2 credit FCA was shy on was incorrect, that it was actually 5 credits, mainly due to truancy, and no, she never graduated. I read some more and then could never find that particular comment again. I was reading thru comments and forums so I may have missed it.

BBM Well color me shocked that Cindy may have lied about something else to make it appear that Casey was not as bad off as people would believe. Five credits shy is like failing a whole year of High School.

I would really like to find out where she's getting money to live on, or who her sugardaddy is. I'm wondering if the IRS will take an interest in this eventually.

I wonder who is paying for these "friends"?
Also, FCA must not be hurting too bad if she's got a new beanie? LOL

I can't imagine anyone protecting her out of the goodness of their hearts let alone providing her with all her living expenses, lodging and transportation all this time? It's been over a year now since Dr. Phil's donation. She also had all those donations that were mailed to the law office for her.

Could she be "working" under the table for the PIs or for Quinco at her apartment?

Whoever is still hiding her has probably still got some plans to make $$$$ off her..what would be the benefit of hiding her so she can pretend to work for them? No way would she have remained all this hidden on her own.

Im looking forward to the day when all these sleezes get tired of helping her,,or they come to the realization they cant make$$$ off her.

Not sure if anyone has said, but what the heck is on her head?

For some reason only known to her, she is trying to rock a Tam. I guess now she is a fake Rasta. I always thought that she had the worst sense of style. My favorite picture of her is the one with the "Nellie" hair do from Little House on The Prairie. It was awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks