UK - 'Cultural violence' claim as 1500-yr-old obelisk to be moved for housing estate

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Can't resist a tabloid headline that begins with the word "fury."

Fury as 1,500 year old stone monument marking grave of a king’s
nephew who inspired Tristan and Isolde legend is moved for housing estate
(Daily Mail)
An ancient stone monument marking the grave of a king’s nephew who inspired one of the greatest love stories in British history is to be moved - to make way for a housing estate.

The 'Tristan Stone' was erected 1,500 years ago, reputedly to show the final resting place of Tristan, whose forbidden affair with the beautiful Irish princess Isolde has inspired poets for centuries.

But a council has now given a developer permission to move the stone, described by English Heritage as 'a significant scheduled monument', to a nearby field so that they can build a housing estate and park and ride next to the site.
---
Bert Biscoe, a member of Cornwall Council's cabinet, condemned the decision to shift the ancient obelisk as 'cultural violence' and one of the 'worst attacks on heritage in the world'.
---
According to legend, Tristan was killed by his uncle, King Mark of Cornwall for falling in love with his Irish wife, Isolde, also known as Isolde.

Tristan, a Cornish knight, is said to have fled Cornwall a number of times, often going into hiding with Sir Lancelot, one of King Arthur’s Knights Of The Round Table.
---
much more, with pictures plus sidebars regarding Tristan and Isolde as well as King Mark of Cornwall, at link above

Dang, now I really want to listen to Opera, but am stuck at work, lol.

Too bad they are moving this, it seems to have such a poetic history. Why not leave it as part of a park for the housing and build around it? Or, better yet, just build elsewhere?

[video=youtube;J-qoaioG2UA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qoaioG2UA[/video]

Thank you so much wfgodot! :blowkiss:

I promise to listen when I get home, no speakers at work. Drat!

Yes, why couldn't they made a little neighborhood park around it in the estate??

Yes, why couldn't they made a little neighborhood park around it in the estate??

Could have charged more too, for the historical benefit, just put a fence around it if necessary - a few feet away from it, so it would not junk it up. Or, or, a small mote!

Off to listen to Tristan & Isolde while I put Cathe on mute and work out, ha!

This monument means too much to be casually moved (thisiscornwall.co.uk)
It is possible to be too precious about certain aspects of history. But it is also very, very easy to fail to see the significance of symbols in the landscape and make decisions about them that will create a storm far beyond their apparent importance.

Deciding to plonk a big housing estate alongside one of the most important historic symbols in Cornwall, The Tristan Stone and – worse – suggesting the stone itself should be relocated to make way for the homes, demonstrates a failure to understand the cultural significance of this monument on a grand scale.
---
the rest at the link

I wouldn't move into that development if it was free. I'd be afraid of the land being haunted. I know a lot of people don't believe in that, but the last thing I would want is to move into the development and next thing I know my little girl is calling me from inside the t.v. If you saw Poltergeist then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Speaking of the supernatural, I've yet to determine what's being referred to in this line from the thisiscornwall.co.uk link above - a violent fuss raised by the inhabitants? ghosts of the Cornish past pouring forth to wreak havoc?
The last time someone tried to move The Tristan Stone – in 1602 while digging for gold – hell and damnation rained down.

An old print gives an anecdote about the stone, from 1602, as follows:

Carew gives a curious account of a ‘gentleman who was persuaded by some information or imagination that treasure lay hidden under this stone; wherefore in a fair mooneshine night, thither with certain good fellowes he hyeth to dig up:’ he then continues to relate that they were obliged to abandon their enterprise, and seek shelter, on account of a terrible thunderstorm; ‘whether this’ disturbance, he says, ‘procedith from a naturall accident, or a working of the diuell, I will not undertake to define.’

http://sbp.so/drustan

And more:

Carew entertainingly wrote in his 1602 Survey of Cornwall:

".. a gentleman, dwelling not far off, was persuaded.. that treasure lay hidden under this stone: wherefore, in a fair moonshine night, thither with certain good fellows he hieth to dig it up.. a pot of gold is the least of their expectation: but... in the midst of their toiling, the sky gathereth clouds, the moonlight is overcast with darkness, down falls a mighty shower, up riseth a blustering tempest, the thunder cracketh, the lightning flasheth: in conclusion, our money seekers washed, instead of laden.. and more afraid than hurt, are forced to abandon their enterprise, and seek shelter of the next house they could get into."

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/679

As Carew was 47 at the time of the hell-storm, born in Cornwall and residing there in 1602 at the time of his survey, I think we can accept that it did actually occur as fact.

Thanks! I saw that Carew the antiquarian had made his survey of Cornwall in 1602 but didn't delve further by actually clicking on links. That terrible thunderstorm was obviously the "working of the diuell."

Love the revelations of the poetry of antiquated writings! ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back