Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.
Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
Hartford Courant: Some shooting victims are children, but unclear if they are among the deceased, in CT school shooting

First and foremost, my prayers go out to the students, teachers, and any employee's of Sandy Hook Elemetary School. Also, my prayers are to the parents, family and friends, and the entire community of Newton.

With that said. Why, after all these years of school shootings, is there not better security measures in our schools to make sure something like this doesn't happen. No one should be able to walk into a school with a gun and open fire. Ever.

The doors on the school should be locked from the outside and an access card given to all employee's to gain entrance into the schools during school hours. In case of an emergency, and with all the technology we have, there could be a switch where those doors could be unlocked in case of an emergency where police/EMS need to gain access.

If a parent has to pick up their child from school (appointment, a child is sick and has to go home, etc...) it should be the responsibity of a staff employee in the front office to meet the parent at the front doors and allow them in. No one should be able to freely walk into any school. That goes for parents (custody dispute??), students (suspended??), random people (ex of an employee), etc...

I hate to say it, even at an elementary stage, but there should be metal detectors in schools. I think these school shootings prove that these things can happen anywhere. Even in the best, most unsuspecting communities.

Are our children's lives that dispensable that we can not demand our tax payers money go to protect them in a place where they should be 100% safe?

I'm just sad and shocked that this can still happen.

MOO

I'm supposed to feel safe that my child is at school everyday with a shooting going on in CT and then Bloomingdale HS is on lock down in Tampa because of something going on???? Everyday it is some shooting somewhere. Can't go to the movies or mall anymore without worrying. Can't leave my child at school and go have lunch with my husband without worrying. Enough!!!

:(

http://www.ctnow.com/news/hc-police-responding-to-incident-in-newtown-20121214,0,455352.story

NEWTOWN—
Multiple people have been killed in a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dickinson Drive.

Police said some of the shooting victims are children but it is not clear if they are among the dead. They were still searching the school at 11 a.m., and police dogs had been brought in.

State police personnel led children from the school, following the shooting.

Sources said a person believed to be a shooter is dead. Earlier reports of a second shooter are unconfirmed.

This year in the school my kids attend. All the doors are locked, teachers do have cards to get in. The front door has a buzzer and a camera to see you before letting you in. But how do they know you are not carrying something....... I feel like they need to have an intercom to ask why the person is there. But then what can that prevent. They do catch you once you enter.

I'm supposed to feel safe that my child is at school everyday with a shooting going on in CT and then Bloomingdale HS is on lock down in Tampa because of something going on???? Everyday it is some shooting somewhere. Can't go to the movies or mall anymore without worrying. Can't leave my child at school and go have lunch with my husband without worrying. Enough!!!

But nobody even dares to mention gun control.

Oh no. Pray it's wrong.
[Just in] Sources telling @DaveAltimari that children are among the dead in Newtown, Connecticut school shooting
(Hartford Courant report)

Some reporters say they saw someone in cuffs being walked away -- HLN

(These HLN reports are all from sources; not confirmed.)

But nobody even dares to mention gun control.

I am not a gun advocate but it's not going to stop people from getting guns by banning guns. It also doesn't stop those who don't qualify to get a gun to obtain one. The guy at the mall in Portland stole one. A 19 yo killed his mom and bf a few weeks ago in Oldsmar near me and got the gun by having his friend buy it. I could go on.

I guess the only thing to do is have metal detectors everywhere and locks on every door and pray 10x a day that nothing bad is going to happen to my child while I can't be there to protect her.

Some reporters say they saw someone in cuffs being walked away -- HLN

(These HLN reports are all from sources; not confirmed.)

There are reports of two gunmen. Do they still think one gunman is on the lose?

There are reports of two gunmen. Do they still think one gunman is on the lose?

According to HLN there's still a BOLO out for a purple van and reports that someone was walked away in cuffs.

According to HLN there's still a BOLO out for a purple van and reports that someone was walked away in cuffs.

Reports are the man was wearing camouflage pants, and said to parents as he was being led away, "It's not me."

FOX Connecticut, citing sources, matching Hartford Courant report that children among the deceased in CT school shooting.
WVIT: Parents reporting gunman at Connecticut school shooting was wearing a mask

Mine is only in preschool, never thought I'd have to worry. This is just so messed up.

This year in the school my kids attend. All the doors are locked, teachers do have cards to get in. The front door has a buzzer and a camera to see you before letting you in. But how do they know you are not carrying something....... I feel like they need to have an intercom to ask why the person is there. But then what can that prevent. They do catch you once you enter.

That is where the resource officer comes in. A school should always know who is scheduled to be at their doors. Parents write notes to their children's school's to let them know they are coming to get their children early. School's know when a sick child has to be picked up by a parent. School's know when a parent/teacher conference is scheduled. IF someone buzzes the door and it is someone who is not scheduled to be there, then the resource officer on school property should be the one to go up to the door and question the person's motives for being there.

Also, maybe there needs to be an ID card (school logo, "PARENT" clearly written on it) where a parent could show it at doors. I know my nieces school, you have to have a pass (school logo on it) just to pick your kid up during regular pick up times. They won't allow any child in any car if they do not have this pass visibly showing.

As someone else pointed out, I understand we are not 100% safe anywhere, but we should be able to put extra emphasis on our schools safety in order to protect our children.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member