Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooter's Persona Drew Concern at School
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...3910797348422.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Not long into his freshman year, Adam Lanza caught the attention of Newtown High School staff members, who assigned him a high-school psychologist, while teachers, counselors and security officers helped monitor the skinny, socially awkward teen, according to a former school official.

Their fear wasn't that he was dangerous. "It was completely the opposite," said Richard J. Novia, the director of security at Newtown School District at the time in 2007. "At that point in his life, he posed no threat to anyone else. We were worried about him being the victim or that he could hurt himself."

Long before Mr. Lanza allegedly killed his mother and then blasted his way into a Connecticut elementary school on a rampage that left 27 dead, authorities were concerned about a young man who was unusually withdrawn and socially maladroit. The scrawny teenager with a mop of brown hair evoked feelings of sympathy, not fear, from teachers and the few classmates who even noticed him.

huh?? :waitasec:

I read it as... he visited two families and one of them (a family) lost both a parent and a child. So AL's family would fit... unless I'm confused (which isn't a stretch sometimes!)

But if any of the murdered staff had children and living parents, this would apply to them also.

It's not necessarily the gunman's family, although it could be.

Some counties have Mental Illness Court in others the Justice of the Peace may have jurisdiction.

Steps to have someone committed in a county near me-

Mental Illness Warrant

A Mental Illness Warrant may be issued in Dallas County when a person is either mentally ill or chemically dependent AND is a danger to him or herself, incapable of taking care of him or herself, or a danger to others.

The applicant for a Mental Illness Warrant must be 18 years of age or older and must have first-hand knowledge of the behavior, state specific recent act(s), attempt(s), or threat(s). The applicant for the warrant must be willing to sign a notarized statement about the behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really HOPE the media does not camp out front of the funeral homes in the coming days. PLEASE let these families grieve in private. We do not need to see pics of family members/friends etc leaving the funeral homes.

If Obama visited the families of victims, then he met with Lanza family also..IMO

I think the talk is about the original notifications as described in this article:
It is Msgr. Robert Weiss's habit to have breakfast every morning at this diner, and he felt that it was important -- this morning of all mornings -- that he make an appearance and be able to minister to anyone who was grieving. When he sat down and ordered a small stack of pancakes he took off his blue plaid scarf to show his black and white priest's collar.

"The reality is just settling in," he said.

Weiss was up before dawn on Saturday to help the Connecticut State Police notify families whose loved ones had been confirmed dead by investigators working at the crime scene through the night. He joined a three-person team that included a state police officer and a grief counselor. One of the two families he visited had lost both a parent and a child in the shooting.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...rning-after-shooting-20121215,0,4358801.story

BBM - that sentence is what is being discussed, I believe, not President Obama's visit to Newtown.

I really HOPE the media does not camp out front of the funeral homes in the coming days. PLEASE let these families grieve in private. We do not need to see pics of family members/friends etc leaving the funeral homes.

We will you can count on it. Maybe that's ok... someday the family's may want these pictures...
I don't know. I have not lost a child, but I do look back on my mother's pictures.
The floral stuff and the pretty trees there....
mentally I can't go back to visit the actual site soooo...
The pictures soothe me. My mama's soul is with me...
not in the dirt there IMO....

"Mr. Novia said it wasn't unusual for school officials to meet about troubled students, but Mr. Lanza's problems were more severe than most. He said he told the school's three security staffers who reported to him to carefully monitor Mr. Lanza, concerning "where he was, who he was with, and what he was doing."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324677204578183910797348422.html

Uh....Clearly this killer wasn't just autistic. Adults were afraid of him/the results of his behavior and he was tiny.

OT: Someone posted on my FB there was a movie theater shooting in TX tonight? Any Texas people here? Is this true?

Amen to that.

We will you can count on it. Maybe that's ok... someday the family's may want these pictures...
I don't know. I have not lost a child, but I do look back on my mother's pictures.
The floral stuff and the pretty trees there....
mentally I can't go back to visit the actual site soooo...
The pictures soothe me. My mama's soul is with me...
not in the dirt there IMO....

BBM. Maybe not. Bless the hearts of whoever was involved, we have seen--thank heaven--zero images of the bodies being taken out of the school. Someone's doing their job protecting the families.

OT: Someone posted on my FB there was a movie theater shooting in TX tonight? Any Texas people here? Is this true?

Haven't heard anything about it, and I have some friends in Texas.

Someone needs to tell the Republic American to remove the video as well as WTNH.

I sent them a message and a comment on it (2 hours ago) along with links to prove that he was a fraud. I refused to join their site so my comment would be seen publicly. It seems this person has also tried to put himself in the mix of the aurora theater and filed papers to change his name to the same name as the killer in that crime.

So I would think the cops would be very interested in keeping an eye on him. It is scary to think that someone like him would be trying to seek attention in tragedies such as these. He seems to revel in the attention and align himself with killers in these events which is very troubling

Shooter's Persona Drew Concern at School
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...3910797348422.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Not long into his freshman year, Adam Lanza caught the attention of Newtown High School staff members, who assigned him a high-school psychologist, while teachers, counselors and security officers helped monitor the skinny, socially awkward teen, according to a former school official.

Their fear wasn't that he was dangerous. "It was completely the opposite," said Richard J. Novia, the director of security at Newtown School District at the time in 2007. "At that point in his life, he posed no threat to anyone else. We were worried about him being the victim or that he could hurt himself."

Long before Mr. Lanza allegedly killed his mother and then blasted his way into a Connecticut elementary school on a rampage that left 27 dead, authorities were concerned about a young man who was unusually withdrawn and socially maladroit. The scrawny teenager with a mop of brown hair evoked feelings of sympathy, not fear, from teachers and the few classmates who even noticed him.

This is what I've been kind of mulling over. I think most around him, including his mom, saw him as a risk to himself- or a victim- if anything. Maybe something will come out to show us that his behavior escalated, but it's possible that nobody really knew what he was capable of until he had already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member