CNN New Year's Eve Coverage- Tacky

Snick1946

Reaction score
Apparently my family are about the only people in America who were disgusted by some of the antics on the air last night on CNN with their Times Square coverage. Kathy Griffin was joking about having oral sex with Anderson Cooper; all their on air people looked and acted like they were high on something. I expected to see more reaction today, especially on the Griffin-Cooper interaction but no.. the few comments I found were from people who felt it was funny. I was watching with my family- TV networks ought to have better sense than to assume since it's late at night they can do or say what they want on New Year's Eve. A lot of people are watching the ball drop with their kids. I have a 16 year old who was incensed and sent an email to CNN this morning.

I usually abhor censorship but this crossed a line, IMO.

Apparently my family are about the only people in America who were disgusted by some of the antics on the air last night on CNN with their Times Square coverage. Kathy Griffin was joking about having oral sex with Anderson Cooper; all their on air people looked and acted like they were high on something. I expected to see more reaction today, especially on the Griffin-Cooper interaction but no.. the few comments I found were from people who felt it was funny. I was watching with my family- TV networks ought to have better sense than to assume since it's late at night they can do or say what they want on New Year's Eve. A lot of people are watching the ball drop with their kids. I have a 16 year old who was incensed and sent an email to CNN this morning.

I usually abhor censorship but this crossed a line, IMO.

Kathy Griffin is disgusting IMO.

Typical for Griffin, I can't stand her.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/01/anderson-cooper-kathy-griffin-new-years-cnn_n_2392399.html

Link with video. I am no prude and have no problem with adult humor in its place. New Years Eve with millions of people watching with their families is not that place. What on earth is wrong with people these days? CNN is a news network- I expected better than this. It's like spitting in the wind, however. Seems like most people who saw it thought nothing of it. What's that say about us today?

That type of humor is exactly why some of us watch them every year. I think they are hilarious!

Why didn't you just change the channel?

Funny you should mention that. Here on the West Coast/San Diego the networks decided it would be a good time to interrupt my Rockin New Years Eve to break for the fiscal cliff vote (really - at 11:00 PM). I was having a panic attack, so I turned it to CNN.

Oh Lord, I wish I hadn't. My only other choice was BET (but watching some chickie lip sync and gyrate on a cat walk was more horrifying). After watching Kathy go thru a bunch of cards trying to find some silly tweet, I finally turned it off.

Thankfully, I turned the tele back on about 11:45 and Dick Clark's show (w/Ryan Seacreast) was back on. Woo hoo! I never did get to see Taylor -- not that I missed her much.

It's quite obvious (in the few minutes I watched) that the Silver Fox and Kathy Griffin have NO chemistry. It was ackward and horrible.

Just my opinion of course!

Mel

Like I said, I have no issue with adult humor- in it's place. On a cable news network at a time when millions are watching with their kids is not the place. It wouldn't have been so bad if Kathy had let it go after the first gag or two, but she kept pulling him down, going on and on- it was a vulgar performance even for her. I kept hoping the producers would go to a break and get her off of there but no..

This may be a generational thing; I'm older and I get the idea that those on this forum and on a few others I have looked at this morning who are defending this segment are youngish. I know the world has changed; like I said however my teenaged kid was upset about it.

If this had been on an adult entertainment channel I wouldn't be here. We shouldn't have to be wishing for parental controls on CNN, of all places.

Funny you should mention that. Here on the West Coast/San Diego the networks decided it would be a good time to interrupt my Rockin New Years Eve to break for the fiscal cliff vote (really - at 11:00 PM). I was having a panic attack, so I turned it to CNN.

Oh Lord, I wish I hadn't. My only other choice was BET (but watching some chickie lip sync and gyrate on a cat walk was more horrifying). After watching Kathy go thru a bunch of cards trying to find some silly tweet, I finally turned it off.

Thankfully, I turned the tele back on about 11:45 and Dick Clark's show (w/Ryan Seacreast) was back on. Woo hoo! I never did get to see Taylor -- not that I missed her much.

It's quite obvious (in the few minutes I watched) that the Silver Fox and Kathy Griffin have NO chemistry. It was ackward and horrible.

Just my opinion of course!

Mel

Didn't CBS or NBC or FOX have something for New Years?

We watched 2 of the other shows and they were too classy either. I think it was Fox and the host said something like , "We will get these girls (showgirls) out here with their most revealing outfits next" and the other channel kept showing people kissing. Not "happy new year" kissing but seriously "get a room, folks!" kissing. Very tacky.

LOL....oh geez. I read somewhere yesterday that the two of them were going to be hosting and it struck me as really odd (I had no idea they had done it on the past) because they are always really rowdy when they're together. I just watched a few clips from last night and while I did find them hilarious that type of behavior has NO place on CNN IMO.

IIRC, this is the 3rd or 4th consecutive year that AC and KG have hosted the NYE program on CNN. Producers must think that the odd couple does a decent job, or they wouldn't continue to feature them. It was moderately amusing and entertaining - and a heck of a lot better than watching reruns of "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" for the millionth time on Food Network! :moo:

Like I said, I have no issue with adult humor- in it's place. On a cable news network at a time when millions are watching with their kids is not the place. It wouldn't have been so bad if Kathy had let it go after the first gag or two, but she kept pulling him down, going on and on- it was a vulgar performance even for her. I kept hoping the producers would go to a break and get her off of there but no..

This may be a generational thing; I'm older and I get the idea that those on this forum and on a few others I have looked at this morning who are defending this segment are youngish. I know the world has changed; like I said however my teenaged kid was upset about it.

If this had been on an adult entertainment channel I wouldn't be here. We shouldn't have to be wishing for parental controls on CNN, of all places.

Well stated and I totally agree. Griffin jumped the shark a looong time ago and really needs to go away.

I would like to see Anderson refuse to work another minute with Kathy Griffin. Surely he has that much clout?

I feel like I saw Anderson Cooper do some beautiful, sensitive work in Newtown recently. I have some respect for his journalistic talents. It's jarring to watch Kathy desperately attempt to degrade him and inarguably succeed in degrading herself.

Maybe some of us need to do what I did- email CNN and tell them you were disgusted and ask that Griffin never be allowed on their broadcast again. You shouldn't have to do this. But a lot of producers and tv executives seem to think we are all as debased as they are and want to see this stuff.

MOO

If kathy griffin involved, you kind of have to expect the program is going feature some pretty adult themed humor.

...This may be a generational thing; I'm older and I get the idea that those on this forum and on a few others I have looked at this morning who are defending this segment are youngish. I know the world has changed; like I said however my teenaged kid was upset about it.

Respectfully <snipped>

You're "older" and those who are defending AC and KG on CNN's NYE show are youngish? Sorry, but I will be 63 in a few weeks and DH is slightly older. We were not offended by the CNN show last night, have watched the event hosted by this duo previously, and would like to see Kathy Griffin in person the next time that she plays the Motor City.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back