New Damien Echols Interview

iluvmua

Reaction score
I love his quote about how "Nobody Cares'" about this case anymore.

Tell that to Terry Hobbs, Pam, Stevie's bio father, Dana & Todd Moore, JMB etc.

This guy is an ARROGANT JERK and why people support this loser is beyond me. I guess he's not the least bit interested in who killed these three precious kids.

“Nobody asks about the case. Nobody cares.”

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/damien-echols-on-tattoos-life-after-prison.html

I don't agree that nobody cares,a lot of people care.Maybe this is just an excuse,didn't he say after they were released(press conference) that they wanna clear their names and keep investigating?What did his lawyers do about it?If he's innocent then he's one of the people who can actually DO something.I can't order new DNA tests,he can.The cops won't do much either since the wm3 accepted the deal and officially they're still the guilty ones.
He blew it this time by saying that nobody asks and nobody cares.Maybe he just wants to forget about it and move on.

I don't agree that nobody cares,a lot of people care.Maybe this is just an excuse,didn't he say after they were released(press conference) that they wanna clear their names and keep investigating?What did his lawyers do about it?If he's innocent then he's one of the people who can actually DO something.I can't order new DNA tests,he can.The cops won't do much either since the wm3 accepted the deal and officially they're still the guilty ones.
He blew it this time by saying that nobody asks and nobody cares.Maybe he just wants to forget about it and move on.

I believe he/they did. supposedly, according to their lawyers, they have new evidence that will clear their names but we have yet to see this new evidence because more than likely there is not any.

Exactly, he CAN do something to help find the real person who did this.

I still believe they are 100% guilty. Have you read Callahans?

VERY informative site about this case. That is what changed my mind from innocent to guilty.

http://callahan.8k.com/

I have one question for those who know this case better:
Would Jessie have gotten something in exchange for his testimony ? (Baldwin/Echols trial)

This guy is an ARROGANT JERK and why people support this loser is beyond me. I guess he's not the least bit interested in who killed these three precious kids.

while i am not a DE follower or fan in anyway, to be fair, i think you took that quote a little bit out of context. he wasnt saying no one cares about the case and justice for those boys, but rather that no one is ostracizing him now that he is out in the world. that people are reacting to him as a person rather than a member of WM3. no one cares that he was a convicted murderer. that is very different from saying no one cares the boys are dead.

I have one question for those who know this case better:
Would Jessie have gotten something in exchange for his testimony ? (Baldwin/Echols trial)

If he'd agreed to a deal to testify against the others before he was convicted, very probably. At that stage, the prosecutors can enter into a plea deal with the defense, and you can see that the prosecutors were willing to do such a deal in the scene in PL1 where they explain to the victims' parents that they need Jessie's testimony "real bad" and will have to give him something in return for it.

However, once a person has been convicted and sentenced only the trial judge can give permission for a deal. Judge Burnett stated in a Feb 22nd hearing that he was not willing to guarantee a deal in return for Jessie's testimony, but not completely ruling it out either. So the short answer is....maybe.

I believe he/they did. supposedly, according to their lawyers, they have new evidence that will clear their names but we have yet to see this new evidence because more than likely there is not any.

Exactly, he CAN do something to help find the real person who did this.

I still believe they are 100% guilty. Have you read Callahans?

VERY informative site about this case. That is what changed my mind from innocent to guilty.

http://callahan.8k.com/

There is so much more I have to read and watch before I can make up my mind....first I thought they were guilty but I have a big problem with the fact that there is no physical evidence linking them to the crime scene.Then there's Terry Hobbs (IMO his timeline stinks,his alibi as well,he has a violent history and wasn't properly investigated by the police).

On the other hand if I look at these 3,the biggest problem I am having is with Jessie.He's always confused .He knows details that haven't been made public (victims injuries).Why did he keep saying they did it even AFTER his trial (police car confession,confession to his lawyer). Personally I don't buy the "he was so retarded" line....he might not be the brightest but he knows the difference between truth and lying.IF innocent,Echols might have "confessed" to people because he loves attention , he likes to brag,to SHOCK....but Jessie??Why did he keep telling people they did it??I don't get it,something bothers me about him.Yeah,maybe that recorded police confession was forced,I could buy that....but what happened AFTERWARDS bothers me a lot.

There is so much more I have to read and watch before I can make up my mind....first I thought they were guilty but I have a big problem with the fact that there is no physical evidence linking them to the crime scene.Then there's Terry Hobbs (IMO his timeline stinks,his alibi as well,he has a violent history and wasn't properly investigated by the police).

On the other hand if I look at these 3,the biggest problem I am having is with Jessie.He's always confused .He knows details that haven't been made public (victims injuries).Why did he keep saying they did it even AFTER his trial (police car confession,confession to his lawyer). Personally I don't buy the "he was so retarded" line....he might not be the brightest but he knows the difference between truth and lying.IF innocent,Echols might have "confessed" to people because he loves attention , he likes to brag,to SHOCK....but Jessie??Why did he keep telling people they did it??I don't get it,something bothers me about him.Yeah,maybe that recorded police confession was forced,I could buy that....but what happened AFTERWARDS bothers me a lot.

Actually, there is evidence linking them to the crime scene. I'll pm you the website since it can't be linked here.

None of the parents were properly investigated, but TH was not even considered a suspect (still isn't).

As to why Jessie kept on confessing multiple times, my guess is that he was remorseful over what happened and wanted something done.

IF they didn't do it then how can Jessie and all the others know specific details about the case when it was not released to the public.

Only someone who was there would know specific details (injuries etc.).

Nobody else would.

If he'd agreed to a deal to testify against the others before he was convicted, very probably. At that stage, the prosecutors can enter into a plea deal with the defense, and you can see that the prosecutors were willing to do such a deal in the scene in PL1 where they explain to the victims' parents that they need Jessie's testimony "real bad" and will have to give him something in return for it.

However, once a person has been convicted and sentenced only the trial judge can give permission for a deal. Judge Burnett stated in a Feb 22nd hearing that he was not willing to guarantee a deal in return for Jessie's testimony, but not completely ruling it out either. So the short answer is....maybe.

what goes through my head right now is (if I understood everything correctly):

didn't he wanna testify because he wasn't sure he was getting anything in return (why bother) or he was ashamed and felt guilty and didn't wanna face the other 2 in court?if he felt guilty was it because he betrayed them (wm3 guilty) or because he lied (wm3 innocent)?

re: Damien. Independent of this case, he is a IMO. Makes me sick that some people have turned him into a 'hero'.

re: Damien. Independent of this case, he is a IMO. Makes me sick that some people have turned him into a 'hero'.

yep, he is.

I've never like the guy. he has serious issues and he's creepy.

I believe that Damien was the ringleader and the other two followed suit.

I think if not for Damien, Jason and Jessie would not be a part of this. MOO.

He's def. No hero, he's a child killing murderer.

didn't he wanna testify because he wasn't sure he was getting anything in return (why bother) or he was ashamed and felt guilty and didn't wanna face the other 2 in court?if he felt guilty was it because he betrayed them (wm3 guilty) or because he lied (wm3 innocent)?

After Judge Burnett made the aforementioned statement on Feb 22nd 1994, refusing to guarantee Jessie a deal, Jessie stops confessing. I think his motive for his post conviction confessions are quite clear from that fact alone. Btw, false confessions post conviction are not all that unusual - see for example, the case of Christopher Ochoa who was still confessing in prison 8 years later.

As to where he got various details in his confession which sound like they might be accurate - Jessie was friends with both a member of the search and rescue crew present at the discovery site, and Vicky Hutchinson. According to Todd Moore, Vicky was round at their house alot in the aftermath of the murders pumping them for case details, she was also busy insinuating herself into the investigation via Don Bray of the Marion PD and Gary Gitchell.

You may think that because something hasn't been reported in the media its a detail only the killer could know, and in a big city where murders happen every day, you may be right. In a small-ish town like WM, where this was the worst crime that had happened in living memory and everyone was talking about it, there will be leaks of information all over the place.

I'm thinking he felt guilty and would have to face the other two in court.

this is JMO.

Did police ever check the Wm3's phone records?
I can't find any info on this and part of their story and their alibis are based on phone calls.(DE)

Anyway,all these people (witnesses,relatives,etc) make my head spin.I've never seen so many people changing their story like in this case.Trying to understand the real timeline by researching what witnesses said is driving me nuts.

Did police ever check the Wm3's phone records?
I can't find any info on this and part of their story and their alibis are based on phone calls.(DE)

Anyway,all these people (witnesses,relatives,etc) make my head spin.I've never seen so many people changing their story like in this case.

As I understand it, it wasn't possible to check their phone records in 93/94 because all the calls involved were local calls and no log was kept of them back then. I could be wrong there though, although I do know for a fact that the phone records never were checked, I could be mistaken about the reason why.

BBM - You've taken that quote completely out of context. I took it to mean that he is just Damien Echols to those people, not Damien Echols, convicted murderer. Of course people still care about this case. The only ones that are actively trying to find out who really did it are Pam Hobbs, JMB, the WM3 and their lawyers and supporters. On the other hand, Terry Hobbs and the State of Arkansas both wish this would just all go away. IMO

I can only try to wrap my head around being on Death Row for 18 years...innocent....prolly messes someone up. And the rapes.

She signed up for a huge commitment and seems to be doing it. Bless them both.

I just wanted to comment something re DE and the part of his trial regarding witchcraft...it's ridiculous....the fact that he was interested in those kind of books/stuff has nothing to do with the murder motif (if he did it) IMO....hey,at least this guy READ....so many teenagers his age never held a book in their hands....he wasn't a stupid teenager....of course ,this doesn't mean he didn't do it....just sayin'...to say that it was a cult crime and to blame it on satanism was a mistake...the way he dressed,what he was interested in...he just wanted to shock IMO,to be DIFFERENT...the fact that he liked to fight and that he was a troubled boy is another story

moo

strange question,I know, is it possible that Jessie is telling the truth re what he witnessed and his involvement BUT the other two killers were not Echols and Baldwin but someone else?there are some things that made me think of this...

Re confessions....a lot of those geez....one thing I am kinda sure of though...I don't buy Michael Carson's story....don't know about the rest of them,will study them further...

Independent of what I am feeling/thinking re the wm3's guilt/innocence,I feel like breaking my computer to pieces whenever I see Gitchells or Ridges faces!They annoy me to death.And there was me thinking the Boulder Police department was the only incompetent pd on earth.There's something about this case...not only the weird community (and I am being nice when saying "weird"),but these cops,the MENTALITY...the witnesses who are not credible( young girls,abusers,drunks,how can you rely on their memories,timelines,they always seem confused and lost and barely find their words,geez)....it's unbelievable,really.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back