Up to 29% horse DNA found in beefburgers in UK and Ireland supermarket chains

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Horse DNA found in supermarket beefburgers (Guardian)
Four major supermarket chains operating in Britain are withdrawing a number of beef products after horse DNA was found in frozen burgers sold in the UK and Ireland by Aldi, Iceland, Lidl and Tesco.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI), which made the discovery, said the burgers were produced by two processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and Dalepak Hambleton in the UK.

In nine of the 10 burger samples from the four retailers, and from the Irish chain Dunnes Stores, horse DNA was found at very low levels. However, in one sample, from Tesco, the level of positive DNA indicated horsemeat accounted for 29% relative to the beef content.

The FSAI said the retailers have agreed to remove all implicated batches from sale.
---
more at the links
---
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland also said Tuesday that it had found traces of pig DNA in 85 percent of the burger products it tested in Irish supermarkets, including those operated by U.K-based Iceland and German discounter Lidl.
---
Ireland: Horsemeat found in supermarket burgers (AP)

Trying to come up with something based on "whinny" but it's not happening right now.

there is no emoticon for the look on my face right now.

backing out of this thread so I can eat hamburger later in the week without hopefully recalling I ever came in here.

ugggh

so when i violently smother the burger with bbq sauce, is that beating a dead horse?

I suppose this is not really funny.....but I'm LMAO at the above comments. :floorlaugh:

The only hamburgers loaded with horse power.

Somebody made a wrong turn on the way to the glue factory.

Where the Kentucky Derby losers end up.

I thought it was legal to eat horse meat, so I can't see the issue here...

I thought it was legal to eat horse meat, so I can't see the issue here...

If it is legal, and it is in some places, I think that calling it "beef" when it is decidedly not just beef, is an issue...and a big one, at that.

Best-
Herding Cats

Gosh .... I wish the beef industry would stop horsin' around .......

A horse walked into a bar ... the bartender asked, "Why the long face?" ......... hee hee :)

Glad this doesn't happen in Australia. It'd nag at my conscience.

Though where the horse meat came from would be my mane concern.

I'd have a lot to say about it but I'm too hoarse

Of course they won't change - unless people stirrup controversy.

(... why canter quit the puns? I will if you want - but imagine how saddle get!)

:runaway:

Copied from FB:

318075_493291680714328_1500146815_n.jpg

Most English people would be appalled at the idea of eating horsemeat. We make our own burgers, we know what is in them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back