GUILTY PA - Dr. Melissa Ketunuti, 35, murdered in her Philly home, 21 Jan 2013

I am very happy to admit my hunch concerning the possibility of the crime being committed by a distraught parent, was incorrect!

Continued prayers for her friends and family.

Right? Self serving "confession". Wah, wah the woman made fun of me. More like he said something out of line and she rebuked him. That or she caught him stealing something.

BBM

Adrienne Shelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The killer first told police he snapped when Adrienne complained about the noise from the construction on the floor below hers. Months later, when he pleaded guilty, he told the truth, that she caught him rummaging through her purse.

http://news.sky.com/story/1042216/burning-doctor-murder-suspect-is-charged

Dr Ketunuti, who had been having a problem with rodents in her house, was running errands around the neighbourhood just before meeting up with the exterminator, Capt Clark said.

He said detectives watched hours of surveillance video from nearby businesses, one of which shows Smith entering Dr Ketunuti's home with a work bag and dressed in a coat and gloves, then leaving without a coat under an hour later.

Other video shows the suspect getting into his truck after the slaying and driving past her home several times, Capt Clark said.

bbm

No one has mentioned the fact that she was not fully dressed when her body was discovered.

Snapped, my @ss!

LE had the killer dead to rights as soon as they started watching the videos.

No one has mentioned the fact that she was not fully dressed when her body was discovered.

Snapped, my @ss!

LE had the killer dead to rights as soon as they started watching the videos.

I have not read that, do you have a link? TIA

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130125_EXTERMINATED.html

Smith's statements to police, along with physical evidence, were enough to charge him Thursdaynight. At his closed-circuit TV arraignment, Smith sat grim-faced, clad in a hooded sweatshirt as the magistrate read the list of charges in Ketunuti's killing, including murder, arson, risking catastrophe, possession of an instrument of crime and abuse of a corpse.

bbm

During the arrest, police shot and killed Smith's dog, although Philadelphia police said they have no report of it. A police source said the law-enforcement officer who shot the dog was part of the Homicide Fugitive Task Force.
Smith was not in a uniform and was wearing a North Face jacket and a hat when walking to Ketunuti's house, but he looked different when he left, Feibush said.

"When he came back he had gloves on, his hat was off and his jacket was in his arms," he said. "Coming back he walks directly under the camera and that's when we realized, 'Wow!' We had this guy on camera."

video at link/ sorry it's a still from the video

He apparently left his hoodie behind. So much for destroying evidence!

But, police say, while Smith may have thought he was destroying DNA evidence by setting the fire, he may have left his hooded sweatshirt behind. Police are now analyzing one that was found in the basement.

After the crime, police say he went on to another job in New Jersey.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8965078

Maybe he wanted to be caught? Not like he tried to make a run for it, or even go collect his hoodie while he was driving around the block after the murder.

I found a similar crime in Reading, PA, from 2005. Woman found in her basement, strangled: Marisol Diaz Rajo

And I think maybe a little too long ago to be relevant here, but a 1991 murder in Bristol, where the woman was strangled, stabbed and her body set alight (the son's words brought me to tears in this article): Joy Hibbs

Another murder-in-the-home, involving fire - Shoemakersville (closer to Reading) 2002: Hope Babel

.. oops. Additions to my previous post:

Just over an hour's drive from Levittown, a cluster of three more murders-with-arson close together in New Jersey, all three older women two in 2010, one in 2012: Barabara, Dolores and Joan

"I'm not going to say Jason is a monster, because he's not," said his cousin who only wanted to be identified as "George."

Investigators say Smith confessed to strangling the pediatrician, and setting her body on fire after they got into an argument over the contract. He claims he "just snapped," according to a police source.

"What he did was atrocious," the cousin added. "I just want people to know that he's a good person. He's a great father to his son. He's a loving person, he has compassion, he has remorse."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50578576/ns/local_news-philadelphia_pa/#.UQKR5r_C2ux

Sorry, but your cousin Jason Smith is WORSE than a monster. He is a savage beast with no morals or compunction. He drove around the victim's home where he murdered her in cold blood not only once, but twice to bask in his vindictive glory. He not only knocked a woman down, but he strangled her with his bare hands, tied her up, AND doused her with gasoline and set her on fire! Then he drove onto another extermination job as if the murder never happened. THAT is the very definition of a monster to the extreme.

.. oops. Additions to my previous post:

Just over an hour's drive from Levittown, a cluster of three more murders-with-arson close together in New Jersey, all three older women two in 2010, one in 2012: Barabara, Dolores and Joan

Ausgirl, do you think these deaths were perpetrated by Jason Smith?

They are similar in that these women lived alone, were assaulted/beaten, some stabbed, and then homes set ablazed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130125_EXTERMINATED.html

Smith's statements to police, along with physical evidence, were enough to charge him Thursdaynight. At his closed-circuit TV arraignment, Smith sat grim-faced, clad in a hooded sweatshirt as the magistrate read the list of charges in Ketunuti's killing, including murder, arson, risking catastrophe, possession of an instrument of crime and abuse of a corpse.

bbm

During the arrest, police shot and killed Smith's dog, although Philadelphia police said they have no report of it. A police source said the law-enforcement officer who shot the dog was part of the Homicide Fugitive Task Force.
Smith was not in a uniform and was wearing a North Face jacket and a hat when walking to Ketunuti's house, but he looked different when he left, Feibush said.

"When he came back he had gloves on, his hat was off and his jacket was in his arms," he said. "Coming back he walks directly under the camera and that's when we realized, 'Wow!' We had this guy on camera."

video at link/ sorry it's a still from the video

I wonder what the possession of instrument of crime is: the tape or rope? Accelerant?

bourne, I totally agree, regarding the 'monster' comment.

As for the links - I'm really just jotting down what similar unsolveds exist in a radius of about an hour's drive (or so) around Levittown, which have one or more of the criteria - indoor/strangled/fire/basement/tape or hogtied/rope/not raped/upper body obliteration/partially clothed.

Not saying all or any are related, just kind of gathering them here in case. Really, I should focus on the years 2007-20012 only but the other cases fit so well that I included even the long shots (within reason).

Oh and, legal definition of 'instrument of crime':

An instrument of crime is anything specially made or specially adapted for criminal use, or an object that is commonly used for criminal purposes. Instruments of crime are sometimes referred to as "derivative contraband." Examples of an instrument of crime include:

Lock picking devices,
Firearm or other illegal weapon,
Drill bits,
Screwdrivers or other tools,
Controlled substances, or
Drug paraphernalia.

- from this article

From news video with subtitle "Pediatrician Murder Case: Reports: Exterminator's Revenge Revealed":

"A family member who asked for anonymity tells ABC News that he was a problem child growing up. He had behavior and anger issues, and liked to set things on fire.

Brad Garrett, consultant/former FBI Special Agent said on video, "People like Mr. Smith basically walk around with a huge chip on their shoulders, and they feel so inadequate and insecure that at any perceived belittlement of them will set them off."

Statement from Ketunuti's family: "Melissa was a source of joy to everyone in her life. Her passing has left an enormous gap in our lives. And our family requests privacy to mourn during this difficult time."

Jason Smith is expected to be in court in 3 weeks."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/melissa-ketunuti-slaying-exterminator-jason-smith-charged-18312171

Melissa's murder was so tragic and senseless.

BBM Wow, the FBI agent used similar descriptives about Jason Smith that I did yesterday. lol

bourne, I totally agree, regarding the 'monster' comment.

As for the links - I'm really just jotting down what similar unsolveds exist in a radius of about an hour's drive (or so) around Levittown, which have one or more of the criteria - indoor/strangled/fire/basement/tape or hogtied/rope/not raped/upper body obliteration/partially clothed.

Not saying all or any are related, just kind of gathering them here in case. Really, I should focus on the years 2007-20012 only but the other cases fit so well that I included even the long shots (within reason).

Oh and, legal definition of 'instrument of crime':
Quote:
An instrument of crime is anything specially made or specially adapted for criminal use, or an object that is commonly used for criminal purposes. Instruments of crime are sometimes referred to as "derivative contraband." Examples of an instrument of crime include:

Lock picking devices,
Firearm or other illegal weapon,
Drill bits,
Screwdrivers or other tools,
Controlled substances, or
Drug paraphernalia.

- from this article

Thanks Ausgirl, you're very resourceful and quick!

The instruments of crime listed above don't seem to have been used in this case. IDK LE didn't mention that he was on drugs or alcohol or any controlled substances, so I'm leaning towards the IOC being rope, accelerant and lighter.

So we have - a guy who liked to set fires as a kid - who was drawn to fire-related occupations - and set his victim's body on fire.

I think looking for other cases is not a bad idea.

"I'm not going to say Jason is a monster, because he's not," said his cousin who only wanted to be identified as "George."

Investigators say Smith confessed to strangling the pediatrician, and setting her body on fire after they got into an argument over the contract. He claims he "just snapped," according to a police source.

"What he did was atrocious," the cousin added. "I just want people to know that he's a good person. He's a great father to his son. He's a loving person, he has compassion, he has remorse."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50578576/ns/local_news-philadelphia_pa/#.UQKR5r_C2ux

Sorry, but your cousin Jason Smith is WORSE than a monster. He is a savage beast with no morals or compunction. He drove around the victim's home where he murdered her in cold blood not only once, but twice to bask in his vindictive glory. He not only knocked a woman down, but he strangled her with his bare hands, tied her up, AND doused her with gasoline and set her on fire! Then he drove onto another extermination job as if the murder never happened. THAT is the very definition of a monster to the extreme.

Like the sun rising in the east, a family member has rushed forward to tell us what a 'wonderful' guy this killer really is. We can expect an all-out insanity defense, along with the despicable inference that her death was somehow her fault. These defense lawyers pull out all the stops. They have no shame.

So we have - a guy who liked to set fires as a kid - who was drawn to fire-related occupations - and set his victim's body on fire.

I think looking for other cases is not a bad idea.

I agree. I hope the investigators in this case are linking all similar cases together. Maybe this Jason Smith has been committing such heinous crimes for a very long time.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back