Casey's appeal on the 4 charges of lying to police

Logicalgirl, you just saved my SANITY!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

What's funny is that I was on a Dylan Redwine thread at another site, and someone mentioned there was news about the *advertiser censored* today that made them angry, and I just knew they were talking about Casey, LOL.

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: My Pleasure Aedrys!! :blowkiss:

#1 I'm glad to hear at least one conviction should not be overturned if they appeal this decision.

#2 I sure hope so.

#3 I thought it was a good compromise too.

#4 What does "material" mean?
Thanks.

"Material" in this case means "having something to do with LE's investigation."

There's no question, of course, that telling LE where and with whom you left your baby and when you last heard from her has something to do with a missing baby investigation. So this was a very technical question--did the judge need to TELL the jury that they had to make that finding? It was an attempt to get off on the technicality that the judge had not mentioned anything about materiality to the jury.

IMO the statute probably does imply a materiality requirement--e.g., you should not be convicted for giving false information to LE just because you (for whatever crazy reason) lied about what you ate for breakfast the morning your child went missing, which didn't cause LE to go off on a "wild goose chase," but you should be convicted for giving false information to LE if you give them a bunch of fake names and identifying info of suspects and witnesses. The court didn't even discuss this argument, though, perhaps because Cheney Mason's briefs (his associate's briefs, really) kind of sucked on that issue.

But I've learned my lesson a couple of times on this case, and I'm not gonna help them out by saying what should have been in the briefs. ;)

Would that actually surprise anyone at this point?

Nope. Not me. I would NOT be surprised if they even erected a statute in her image and honor over on Hopespring Drive. Hell, they could even dedicate a children's park after her. Florida seems to love her.

Well, I will Edit to Add: Florida LEGAL SYSTEM seems to love her. Not Floridians in general!

Probation was for the fraud charges, not for the lying convictions. THe only thing that can happen with this ruling is half the fine for lying will be dropped. It was $4,000 for the four counts; now it will be $2.000. Wasn't what she still owed something in the $4K range? Maybe that's why that amount wasn't paid--they figured all four convictions would be overturned and cancel out the full amount. I'm just guessing as I have not gone back now to see what amount was posted on the other thread about what was still owed. (But for some reason I recall it being around $4K.)

I did say I was vague and we should ask someone who knew for sure what they were talking about. But what was it that was time served? So are you saying it was for the lying convictions or .......fraud was time served AND probation I guess?
Thanks for the added info re the money - for me awarding a financial cost to a sentence doesn't mean much at all. I mean she owes so much in taxes/costs and more will be added when the other cases are settled - the difference of a couple of grand is....:waitasec:

A partial win on appeal. 50-50. And now she will go to the Florida Supreme Court to see if she can get them to go the rest of the way.
What a waste...and for what exactly? It's not going to open up any doors for Casey, IMO. Seems to me CM wants LF to cut her teeth on these appeals. Delay, delay, delay.

Now to complete this bad news day, Baez will be on Dr. Drew on Monday to discuss the appeal and the Jodi Arias case. Can it get any worse? I know, some of you are seeing some positive in this. But all I can see is they will continue to appeal so she can plead the fifth for years. Justice and Karma are too slow and I need to see her punished in this lifetime.

Now to complete this bad news day, Baez will be on Dr. Drew on Monday to discuss the appeal and the Jodi Arias case. Can it get any worse? I know, some of you are seeing some positive in this. But all I can see is they will continue to appeal so she can plead the fifth for years. Justice and Karma are too slow and I need to see her punished in this lifetime.

Baez disgusts me. Listening to him is like listening to a Jackass braying.

I would like to know how this effects Casey having to testify at the upcoming civil trails.

I would like to know how this effects Casey having to testify at the upcoming civil trails.

If she's appealing to the Florida Supreme Court, she won't have to testify about anything relating to the issues on appeal (which covers pretty much whatever ZG's attorneys want to ask her) until that's over. The Florida Supreme Court doesn't have to accept the case, though.

I did say I was vague and we should ask someone who knew for sure what they were talking about. But what was it that was time served? So are you saying it was for the lying convictions or .......fraud was time served AND probation I guess?
Thanks for the added info re the money - for me awarding a financial cost to a sentence doesn't mean much at all. I mean she owes so much in taxes/costs and more will be added when the other cases are settled - the difference of a couple of grand is....:waitasec:

Time served and probation were both for the fraud convictions. Remember, she had something like eight or nine separate fraud/theft charges that she pleaded guilty to re the Amy stuff. IIRC, the judge sentenced her to time served on some of those convictions and one year probation was to cover the rest (or was an extension of the first group with the rest being adjudicated--it's a long time ago but I recall it going down something like that).

If she does appeal to the FL Supreme Court, how long would it take for them to decide if they take the case or not?

I don't understand why it takes so long for the courts to get anything done.

I am posting this here. Read the comment posted at 3.37pm today, that is quoting Mark Nejame.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ny-lying-convictions-20130125,0,1177220.story

OH good .. so can they ask a question like: what really happened to Caylee on the day of 16th and if she says 'she drowned in the pool and dad made me cover it up and he put duct tape on her to make it look like a kidnapping (blah blah etc)' can these claims be investigated and if found false can she be done for lying? Then if she does could dad be brought in to dispute her claims? It'll be interesting wont it?

If she does appeal to the FL Supreme Court, how long would it take for them to decide if they take the case or not?

I don't understand why it takes so long for the courts to get anything done.

If the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, it won't take long for them to say that. I believe that is the way it will go. These are measly little misdemeanor convictions...her only reason for appealing is so she does not have to answer questions at a civil trial. I think the members of the SC will see right through her.

But it would be hilarious if they did hear it and reinstated the overturned convictions. LOL.

OK I was never a fan of the ZFG civil case until now .. massive change of tune, bring it on...bring it on like YESTERDAY.

Brad Conway speaking on JVM. Says everyone knows Casey is a liar!

Quoting from the Orlando Sentinel article:
"This is significant because she is no longer able to avoid answering our questions by asserting her fifth amendment privilege. Meaning, she will be compelled to testify at trial," said Gonzalez's attorney Matt Morgan. "We look forward to getting answers to questions we have had since the summer of 2008. The wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine."

Answers? Truthful answers? From Casey Anthony??? So maybe we can look forward to charges of perjury, and maybe contempt of court? Dare we hope?! Oh be still my heart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back