TX - Seven-year-old boy buried in sand by his brother dies in Bexar County

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Boy buried in sand by brother dies (San Antonio Express-News)
A 7-year-old boy who was buried in sand by his 5-year-old brother while playing in rural North Bexar County died Friday evening.

Wyatt McDaniel, 7, was pronounced dead at University Hospital about 5 p.m., according to the county medical examiner.

Paul Berry, spokesman for the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, said deputies responded to a call shortly after 4 p.m. at a horse training facility in the 400 block of Specht Road, near the Specht Road Soccer Complex.

“The brothers had been playing in the sand together when the younger son came to the father, alerting him that the older brother wasn't moving,” Berry said.
---
more of this sad tale at link above; good grief

I recall a couple of recent cases where a child died after sand tunnel on a beach collapsed on them. I am just surprised since the brother is only five-how much sand can a five year old put on top of a seven year old?

I recall a couple of recent cases where a child died after sand tunnel on a beach collapsed on them. I am just surprised since the brother is only five-how much sand can a five year old put on top of a seven year old?
Yeah, when I saw the headline I thought it'd involve one of the south TX beaches on the coast.

Yeah, when I saw the headline I thought it'd involve one of the south TX beaches on the coast.

Me too; wet sand is considerably heavier.

This is such a tragic story. Oh, how many times have we "buried" someone on the beach.

Me too; wet sand is considerably heavier.

This is such a tragic story. Oh, how many times have we "buried" someone on the beach.

But unless a tunnel collapses on top of someone, burying someone on a beach doesn't normally results in death. So I find this story bizarre. How much sand did five year old manage to put on top of seven year old? Why didn't seven year old get up if he started feeling uncomfortable?

I just feel so sorry for this poor child's devastated loved ones and his brother who will be burdened with this for the rest of his life :cry:

When I was 10, some friends and I dug a tunnel in their backyard. It collapsed suddenly while their little sister was crawling through it and a very anxious minute ensued before we dug the toddler out unharmed.

But maybe the two boys dug the tunnel together and it then collapsed on the 7-year-old. A 5-year-old might not even have realized the danger at first.

I do not think it is really the amount of sand... it is kind of like drowning where the person probably panics and doesn't think to just go straight up for air. My daughter at age 4 went underwater on the steps at the pool and I was there to pull her out, but for a few seconds I watched her struggle/panic. The water wasn't that deep, she could have stood up and would be out of the water.

Photo of little Wyatt and the sand pile at this link:

"Boy, 7, dies after he is BURIED ALIVE by his little brother while playing in the sand"

"Results of full autopsy has yet to be carried out for what police believe was a tragic accident on Friday."

"Police said it appeared the two boys had been playing in a pile of loose beach sand at the horse farm and riding school."

"It is believed they had dug a hole in the top the pile of loose sand and younger brother Logan may have piled the sand back on top trapping his brother."

"Witnesses told investigators Wyatt and his five-year-old brother Logan were playing in a sand pile while their father Charlie was giving a lesson at the Wild Sunday Farm.
Although police are working on the theory that Wyatt was buried by his brother they said that no one yet knew for sure how the seven-year-old ended up in the pile."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ittle-brother-playing-sand.html#ixzz2JChAL3Kq

Wow! Does anyone know where this happened? I lived on the Texas coast awhile. So sad!

Rest in peace Wyatt. Prayers for your family. Especially your little brother, bless his heart.

Wow! Does anyone know where this happened? I lived on the Texas coast awhile. So sad!

Bexar County .. San Antonio. These folks are friends of an online friend of mine .. everyone is devastated.

That pile of sand is roughly the same size as the pile I mentioned digging above. I grew up in Florida, equally flat; so we built a sand pile first and then tunneled under it.

Kids just have no idea how heavy collapsed sand can be. (And I was 10 when we accidentally buried my friend's little sister, not 7.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back