GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we hashed this out upthread.

Our consensus is that she appears to have had TWO phones, one "American" phone and one "Turkish" phone she bought for use there. The "Turkish" phone was found in her apartment (we believe).

And the "American" one was brought with her, but was not "pinging" because she was using it for photos only and did not have it roaming or connected. Persons unknown (perp or scavengers) must have turned it on on the 30th/31st if that indeed took place.
I think she may have had 2 phones as purchasing an "overseas plan" is usually very expensive. Using a cell phone purchased in Turkey would have been cheaper ... then again why not just leave her regular cell phone back in New York?

Also, has it been said whether the 13 people detained by police are suspects or witnesses?

I can't help but think that there is something we are missing here, I don't think this was a robbery gone bad or a stalking turned into sexual assault then murder.

I think she may have had 2 phones as purchasing an "overseas plan" is usually very expensive. Using a cell phone purchased in Turkey would have been cheaper ... then again why not just leave her regular cell phone back in New York?

Also, has it been said whether the 13 people detained by police are suspects or witnesses?

I can't help but think that there is something we are missing here, I don't think this was a robbery gone bad or a stalking turned into sexual assault then murder.
I believe she used her iPhone to take pictures-I do. It still seems strange to me, if she was killed in a robbery-why move her? And it sounds like she was placed in the spot on Jan 29th-8 days after she disappeared-where was she for 8 days. The police must have clues they aren't disclosing.

Ok, sorry to harp on the phones... but from what I'm reading, the two phones consensus is a working theory, and not yet confirmed as fact?

It's probably nothing- but this bothers me, and every scenario I'm coming up with changes depending on whether there was one phone or two, and if only one, whether it was left in her room or not.

Ok, I don't know what she did, but I know what I do when I travel to Europe. I have a cheap unlocked cell phone that's ancient. I buy a $10-20 dollar prepaid sim in the country I'm in so I have a phone to make calls. I carry my US cell phone because a) I'd need it at the airport and b) it's a smartphone and I can use the wifi portion of it for email as well as the camera part

Ok, sorry to harp on the phones... but from what I'm reading, the two phones consensus is a working theory, and not yet confirmed as fact?

It's probably nothing- but this bothers me, and every scenario I'm coming up with changes depending on whether there was one phone or two, and if only one, whether it was left in her room or not.
Oh I agree ... whether or not she had one or two phones is a big aspect of what may or may not have happened to her.

@ Tardislass I agree 100%

Another thing that is disturbing to me is that the autopsy report indicated that her body had "signs of torture" ... why would someone torture a young woman, a mother, a history and camera buff? That makes no sense to me at all.

We deduced it from various updates. There are no real "official" sources, we just keep collating and cross-referencing what respected media organizations are saying.

Up to 13 people being held?? WTH went on? Oh man this is not good.

Repatriation of a body is also quite expensive. The State Department will assist, but they will not pay. It can be upwards of $10,000.

True.

An option is having the body cremated.
Cremated remains can be carried on board the plane as hand luggage but there are certain regulations.

Coming on this morning and seeing this has made me sick to my stomach. I may be stupid, but I had convinced myself that she would be located safe :please:

This world can be such a cruel place. Rest Peacefully Sarai *advertiser censored*

I believe she used her iPhone to take pictures-I do. It still seems strange to me, if she was killed in a robbery-why move her? And it sounds like she was placed in the spot on Jan 29th-8 days after she disappeared-where was she for 8 days. The police must have clues they aren't disclosing.

She used her Samsung Galaxy 3 to take pictures and her iPad 3 for edit them...
@mariomaynor hey Mario ...I use the Samsung Galaxy 3...and edit on my iPad 3 (although this pic I didn't edit) sometimes I get a huge flare also..I know there are ways to dull it through snapseed but I have yet to try that. And Thank you
memyself_sarai - 13 days ago
http://statigr.am/p/372359677124923574_20533443

From article:

"Sierrra was an amateur photographer who had amassed more than 3,000 followers since she joined the photo sharing app Instagram last year.

Some people she met through the service encouraged her to visit the ancient Turkish city, her husband said. They offered to act as tour guides. "You're admiring pictures, but you're getting acquainted with people that you've never met before," Steven Sierra said."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/02/world/turkey-missing-woman/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

These translations are so difficult to discern, through no fault of anyone.
There are often no exact translations into English that make sense, because our languages are not exact word for word.
The information that comes through in the translations may not be as it seems at first glance so I know it is important to wait for reports from our own MSM sources. And yes I realize they are not the best with accuracy as well. Frustrating!

That said, I think we need to be cautious regarding this latest translation about the nature of the relationship between SS and T. Lots of reasons that might not be the gospel truth.

These translations are so difficult to discern, through no fault of anyone.
There are often no exact translations into English that make sense, because our languages are not exact word for word.
The information that comes through in the translations may not be as it seems at first glance so I know it is important to wait for reports from our own MSM sources. And yes I realize they are not the best with accuracy as well. Frustrating!

That said, I think we need to be cautious regarding this latest translation about the nature of the relationship between SS and T. Lots of reasons that might not be the gospel truth.

Yup, you are right -- I believe now Taylan/TK's denying an affair there. (I deleted the post because I can't revise the title).

What is important is Taylan/TK DEFINITELY says he intended to meet her on the 21st and they im'ed back and forth about it, he went to meet her, and claims he waited awhile, couldn't find her, then left. We weren't clear before if he was even im'ing her on the 21st (and not only the 20th) -- he was, by his own words.

From the above article:
"While it is not unusual to hear about foreigners being targeted by pickpockets and bag snatchers, violent crime involving foreign tourists is relatively rare."

Also, from the State Department website regarding travel to Istanbul (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html#safety): "The rate of street crime remains relatively low in Turkey. In Istanbul, petty street crime is most common in tourist areas such as Taksim Square, Sultanahmet, and in the areas around the Grand Bazaar and Spice (Egyptian) Bazaar. You should carry a copy of your passport and visa with you and leave your U.S. passport in your hotel safe. Carry only what you need when in these areas."

This could explain why she was not carrying her passport. The State Department advises US citizens NOT to do so. (There was a debate about this earlier in the thread.) Also, it does not advise against travel to Istanbul for solo women, although it does list something for solo men to be aware of. She did her due diligence. She just got very, very unlucky.

Yup, you are right -- I believe now he's denying an affair there.

What is important is he DEFINITELY says he intended to meet her on the 21st and they im'ed back and forth about it, he went to meet her, and claims he waited awhile, couldn't find her, then left. We weren't clear before if he was even im'ing her on the 21st (and not only the 20th) -- he was, by his own words.

So he is changing his story now. He first told LE that he never got her message, of meeting at the Bridge, because his voicemail was full. Therefore, he never went. Now he says he did go, but did not see her. He must be involved.

If you want to know how bad a web translator is, enter a fairly complex sentence in English, translate it to Turkish and then translate the Turkish back to English. That will give you a very good indication how "game of telephone" translation of website is.

In fact, I did that with the above sentence. Here is the result after translating it to Turkish and then back to English:

"If you are a web translator, English is quite complicated if you want to know how bad a sentence, flip, and then Turkish English Turkish to turn back. This web site translation for "telephone game" will give you a good indication of how much."

So he is changing his story now. He first told LE that he never got her message, of meeting at the Bridge, because his voicemail was full. Therefore, he never went. Now he says he did go, but did not see her. He must be involved.

Let me just post Taylan/TK's statement to police (undated) and let it speak for itself. He basically says he told her he was waiting, but he could see that she was not getting the message. This appears to be his original statement to police, NOT ANY SUBSEQUENT UPDATE:

Taylan K., Sarai said that they continue messaging over the Internet while in Istanbul with the "Internet Appointments met on January 20, 2013. We visited Beyoglu and Eminonu. The next day I agreed to meet again to take a photo together, "he said. On January 21, when a computer message said he saw Sarai'den Taylan K from the meeting, "I saw his posts he was not connected to the Internet. The phone was turned off. I sent a message to her computer, she turns and sees. He could not see my message is currently closed. But I still say it as a meeting place went to the Galata Bridge. When I went there I did not see Sarai'yi. Lingered there for a while, but did not come. I left the meeting ground, "he said. Taylan K, "had a relationship with Sarai. It was not 'darling', just friends. I do not have any information about the disappearance. I wonder what it is Sarai'ye "he suggested.

The agency did not say what caused her death. But the private NTV television reported that she was stabbed to death, while a private news agency, Dogan, said she had a head wound, suggesting she may have been hit with an object.

http://www.newsday.com/sarai-sierra-missing-nyc-woman-found-dead-in-turkey-1.4552049

Crime scene photos and video:

http://galeri.haberturk.com/gundem/galeri/423800-sarai-sierranin-cesedi-bulundu

http://www.dha.com.tr/dhavideogaleri.asp?vid=422176

Look at the first news .. There is accurate representation of the place where they found her:

http://dha.com.tr/

Really tragic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members