GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
alpmighty what do you think of this? look at the bottom at the Turkish tourist scams

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Safety/scam_story2.html

Chewy, this is quite a common scam. The Turkish dude that was recounted there is a 'fetcher'. Guys like that are usually low lifes with barely passable English, they'll take you to places that they are associated with. Girls would be sent over to the table, their job is to get the victim to buy them drinks. Guy disappears at some point and when you want to leave the place, you're presented with an extravagant bill. The fetcher receives a percentage of whatever the victim pays. So do the girls.

Such places are called pavyon. They often look like 3rd class night clubs. Victims are almost exclusively male.

If you refuse to pay, the fine establishment you were at will try to intimidate victim by shouting, pushing around etc. If the victim can get the LE involved, they can avoid getting ripped out. Even with LE involvement, some of those fine establishments have standing arrangements with lowly police patrolman. Policeman attending might simply tell you that you must pay.

The same scam is actually quite prevalent around the world. Japan and EE countries come to my mind. :)

But then again, that's highly subjective. We don't know Ammar or to best of my knowledge have anybody here who is at least acquinted with Ammar. Predicting individual behaviour is tricky business. Too many unknown variables.

This has nothing to do with the case. Deflecting I presume.

Highly unlikely. I can imagine no Turkish national, provided that they are clear of wrongdoing on a legal basis, being scared of going to Turkish LE.

My statement was nothing specific to Turkey, it was just in general. Sometimes, for whatever reason, people don't want to get themselves involved, especially if they perceive something to be a domestic situation. If true Taylan had sex w her, he might have thought she just did not want to talk to her husband.

There was a case recently in China where girl was run over and no one at the scene bothered to call police. It happens sometimes all over the world....where people do not want to get themselves involved.

Here is an interesting read. It's a commentary today about Sarai, from a retired RSO (Regional Service Officer with the Dept of State) who worked on/off for 25 yrs in Turkey. He also served as chief investigator of the Cyprus Missing Persons Program.

While some of his facts are incorrect (based on info gleaned from MSM articles), he has some other info I haven't seen and his theories and observations are still relevant.

I think it should be read in its entirety (he has posted other articles about Sarai), but this is really an interesting observation:

During my many years abroad as a US Department of State Senior Regional Security Officer (RSO), I learned all too well that large embassies are simply a smaller version of US communities. That being said, embassies are similar to small American communities where intimate and interpersonal relations are subject to the same psychological vulnerabilities that we all face in life.

Experience tells me that when one or more members of a relationship travels abroad, while undergoing marital conflict, particularly alone, stress and conflict can escalate very dramatically, which often results in travelers making bad choices, like consorting with "criminal elements."

Essentially, any marriage in trouble needs to be resolved at "home" and face-to-face, not by having one party travel alone abroad by escaping the realities on the "home-front," thereby being vulnerable to illicit liaisons.​

http://stayingsafeabroad.blogspot.com/2013/02/turkey-update-sarai-sierra-worst-place.html

He is completely right about what he says.

:seeya: New thread alert. Hold your thoughts. I'll be back shortly with the link.

Here is an interesting read. It's a commentary today about Sarai, from a retired RSO (Regional Service Officer with the Dept of State) who worked on/off for 25 yrs in Turkey. He also served as chief investigator of the Cyprus Missing Persons Program.

While some of his facts are incorrect (based on info gleaned from MSM articles), he has some other info I haven't seen and his theories and observations are still relevant.

I think it should be read in its entirety (he has posted other articles about Sarai), but this is really an interesting observation:

During my many years abroad as a US Department of State Senior Regional Security Officer (RSO), I learned all too well that large embassies are simply a smaller version of US communities. That being said, embassies are similar to small American communities where intimate and interpersonal relations are subject to the same psychological vulnerabilities that we all face in life.

Experience tells me that when one or more members of a relationship travels abroad, while undergoing marital conflict, particularly alone, stress and conflict can escalate very dramatically, which often results in travelers making bad choices, like consorting with "criminal elements."

Essentially, any marriage in trouble needs to be resolved at "home" and face-to-face, not by having one party travel alone abroad by escaping the realities on the "home-front," thereby being vulnerable to illicit liaisons.​

http://stayingsafeabroad.blogspot.com/2013/02/turkey-update-sarai-sierra-worst-place.html

Thanks for this, he like many other photographers I know (weird I know four very close friends who are) thinks the lack of camera is telling.

Great post!

No, what I am saying is maybe they thought she just wanted to go "offline" (from them) and be out of touch. Maybe that's what this trip was about, and they knew it.

Can we talk about the one online "friend" that tried to contact her on Gmail after she went missing. Camsab was the name (not much on Google with this name). Did this friend meet Sarai? Was the friend in Turkey?

We've never heard about this person, except a brief mention...

From the attached article, I'm not sure what "camsab" means but I think it is referring to Steven looking at her messages and seeing the message from Taylan/Tarkan. I'm pretty sure there is no contact called camsab.

http://gundem.milliyet.com.tr/sierr...em/gundemdetay/06.02.2013/1665005/default.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj