Australia - Shandee Blackburn, 23, murdered, Mackay, Qld, 9 Feb 2013

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Mackay woman Shandee Blackburn, 23, was only metres from her home when she was killed in a vicious attack on Friday

February 12, 2013 3:29PM

POLICE have released security camera footage from a McDonald's restaurant of people they want to speak to as part of investigations into the murder of 23-year-old Shandee Blackburn in Mackay.

The footage shows a man walking through the outlet's drive-through, followed by a number of vehicles including a taxi.

Central Regional Crime Co-ordinator Detective Acting Inspector Paul Elliot appealed to anyone depicted in the footage to come forward.

Crime Stoppers:

1800 333 000.

714161-blackburn.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...attack-on-friday/story-e6freon6-1226575727152

I used to live a few blocks from where this young woman was murdered. So tragic.

Update 3: Mackay homicide investigation

February 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Detectives are appealing for public assistance to help locate a number of people who may be able to assist in their investigation into the death of a 23-year-old woman in East Mackay on Saturday.
CCTV footage from a nearby fast food restaurant shows a number of vehicles and a man on foot using the business’ drive through facilities.

Central Regional Crime Co-ordinator, Detective Acting Inspector Paul Elliot said police would like to speak with the owner of the vehicles as well as the man.
“If you used the McDonald’s drive through on the corner of Shakespeare and Sydney streets between midnight and 12.30am on Saturday morning, we would like to speak with you,” he said.

“Even if you don’t think you have any useful information, please contact police – something that might not mean anything to you could be of vital importance to our investigation.

“We must stress that these people are not persons of interest, but potential witnesses.”
Detective Acting Inspector Elliott has thanked the public for their assistance so far.
“We have had a lot of calls coming in through Crime Stoppers, and we are continuing to receive vital information from members of the public,” he said.
“We are still asking for anybody who may have been in Boddington, Juliet or Shakespeare Streets between midnight and 12.30am on Saturday to contact police or Crime Stoppers.
“If anyone has information to provide, no matter how big or small, or whether it seems insignificant to you – please come forward.”

The 23-year-old woman was found in Boddington Street on Saturday morning with multiple serious injuries.
She was transported to Mackay Base Hospital but died shortly after arrival.
Operation Lima Zimzala has been established and is being co-ordinated from an Investigation Centre at Mackay Police Station with officers from Mackay CIB and the State Crime Operations Command homicide squad.

Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.
Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation working in partnership with the Queensland Police Service.

For all non-urgent police reporting or general police inquiries contact Policelink on 131 444.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013/02/12/update-3-mackay-homicide-investigation/

February 12, 2013 - 5:56PM

Ms Blackburn had finished her shift at a country club in the central Queensland town of Mackay about 10 minutes earlier

Within half an hour of leaving, she was lying dead in the street, just 150 metres from her home

It was not uncommon for Ms Blackburn to walk the 20 minutes to her Boddington Street home after finishing a shift at the Harrup Park Country Club.

Police are certain she was alone when she walked into the street in the early hours of Saturday morning.

In the days before her murder Ms Blackburn was planning a trip to the United States with her boyfriend.

Her mother, Vicki, said her happy and beautiful daughter loved to travel and watch movies.

She appealed for anyone with information to contact police, "to make sure that no child or woman has to go through what she went through."

"We, Shandee's family, want to know why our beautiful daughter, sister and granddaughter, had to meet such an horrific end," Mrs Blackburn said

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...dees-murder-20130212-2eayp.html#ixzz2KgC9diW2

February 13, 2013

DEVASTATED neighbours tried desperately to revive a badly injured Shandee Blackburn as she lay bleeding on the sidewalk - but she could not be saved.
Residents of Boddington St in Mackay have told how they woke to the sound of a woman's screams in the early hours of Saturday morning, followed by shouts for help from the person who discovered her on the ground.

They also reported seeing a taxi mini-bus drop someone off moments before Ms Blackburn was attacked.

A large-scale investigation, involving a team of homicide detectives, is under way after the 23-year-old was murdered while walking home from work.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...in-mackay-attack/story-e6freoof-1226576570153

It looks to me as though the guy on foot is the same guy that is now in the passenger seat of the vehicle.

??

My Moo and Take on the developments is that someone got angry at her that night at work. Whilst this person was travelling home in a taxi, probably the one seen in the video from Macca's, they(He) spotted her walking home. He asked the taxi to stop and jumped out. I had read their were 22 stab wounds(allegedly) How does this much brutality happen in the street? I imagine the person who was helping her had witnessed the attack and his car was the one seen behind the taxi.
Surely the taxi driver and this person who helped would have to have seen the perp?
I'm not sure about the guy walking in the drive thru, he doesn't look like he has a weapon(knife). One of the single guys in the ute's though may have a weapon in the car??
All MOO

Just horrible. Another poor woman murdered for simply walking at night.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nei...in-mackay-attack/story-fndo4ckr-1226576570153

Not very good is it.
Reminders of Jill Maegher with someone so close to home coming to grief.
Will be keeping an eye on this with interest.

The McDonalds on the corner of Sydney and Shakespeare Street is also on the corner of Juliet Street so it sounds like she likely walked from Harrup Park which is a cricket ground with a nice club, up Juliet street ( the main road in that area) across some grass as Juliet street is divided, and turned into her street. I can see from the picture in MSM where the flowers have been left that she was found in front of units that are on the corner so she had just turned the corner into Boddington Street. It is interesting that the police say she was alone when she turned into her street as she was found just around the corner, maybe a few meters past. McDonalds is a long block further up Juliet Street but it is highly possible that the people going through the McDonalds drive thru may have seen something. There is an entry to McDonalds car park and drive thru from Juliet Street.

Juliet street is divided because the railway line used to run across it but that was removed years ago. The units in Boddington street and all the way along are built on the old railway land.

The man on foot is interesting. He probably threw his hands up as seen on the cctv as he would have been told they don't serve people who aren't in cars in the drive thru.

She must have been seen maybe on cctv entering her street as police are saying she was alone when she entered her street. There are lots of businesses in this area as well as residential. It is an older area of Mackay as it is only 3 blocks from the main street of town.[/QUOTE]

Sounds exactly right Ali,
As taken from the QPS facebbok comment someone said she would take that route-
"Shandee would have walked from Harrup Park (cricket club) as she had just finished work. Along Juliet St, across into Boddington St."

The man on foot is interesting. He probably threw his hands up as seen on the cctv as he would have been told they don't serve people who aren't in cars in the drive thru.

I know the police haven't said anyone is a person of interest, but I dont like the demeanour of the guy in the drive-thru.
Firstly, it seems a bit of a confrontational thing to do....walk into a drive-thru lane and speak into the speaker, but also, if he is the passenger in the ute, his body language looks quite angry to me. It looks like the driver is trying to gee him up, to break the tension, but he remains very stiff and not reciprocative of the drivers friendly type movements and gestures.

Could be completely wrong, just my impression.

There is only about 17 secs on the cctv counter clock between the man walking out of cameral range in the drive thru to the lights of the car coming around the side of the building to the order speaker. The car is coming from the other direction that the man walked. I don't think that is enough time for that man to have got into the car.

According to attached article he parked his truck and walked to the drive thru, probably as his truck was too big to take through it. So he had a vehicle, but couldn't drive it through and couldn't go inside as it was closed except for the drive thru. I don't blame him for being annoyed and waving his arms in frustration.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...attack-on-friday/story-e6frfkp9-1226575727152

There is only about 17 secs on the cctv counter clock between the man walking out of cameral range in the drive thru to the lights of the car coming around the side of the building to the order speaker. The car is coming from the other direction that the man walked. I don't think that is enough time for that man to have got into the car.

According to attached article he parked his truck and walked to the drive thru, probably as his truck was too big to take through it. So he had a vehicle, but couldn't drive it through and couldn't go inside as it was closed except for the drive thru. I don't blame him for being annoyed and waving his arms in frustration.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...attack-on-friday/story-e6frfkp9-1226575727152

I noticed the short time and thought it was not possible too, but then I thought about the drive-thru near me where you drive into the carpark and hang a complete 180 degree left turm to then come into the drive-thru lane. Its very close.
It would only be possible if he hopped into the ute as it was driving towards the drive-thru somehow.

I didn't pick up about him parking his truck, so it possibly isn't the same guy in the ute at all.
I just thought it looked similar in body shape and size, and the clothing, with the light shirt underneath looks the same. Cant really see if he has a hat or not in the ute.

Also, couldnt he have just walked into the store if he wasn't in a vehicle? Aren't the stores/restaurants open whilstever the drive-thru's are?

You're probably right Alioop. Just thought they looked very similar.

I noticed the short time and thought it was not possible too, but then I thought about the drive-thru near me where you drive into the carpark and hang a complete 180 degree left turm to then come into the drive-thru lane. Its very close.
It would only be possible if he hopped into the ute as it was driving towards the drive-thru somehow.

I didn't pick up about him parking his truck, so it possibly isn't the same guy in the ute at all.
I just thought it looked similar in body shape and size, and the clothing, with the light shirt underneath looks the same. Cant really see if he has a hat or not in the ute.

Also, couldnt he have just walked into the store if he wasn't in a vehicle? Aren't the stores/restaurants open whilstever the drive-thru's are?

You're probably right Alioop. Just thought they looked very similar.

I missed that part as well, that he had parked his truck.
"''The one male person is identified, he has parked his truck and actually walked through the drive through,''

So he has been identified. I wonder if he is now a suspect? He doesn't look he should be driving. Does anyone else think he looks intoxicated?

From same article as above

He said a truck driver who walked through the drive through had come forward with information.

"Obviously he was in the area at the time and he may have seen something that's relevant to the investigation - but at this stage we are not ruling it in or ruling it out."
Police had also found Shandee on CCTV cameras as she walked home along Juliet St, Det Insp Elliot said.
She was alone in the footage."

http://www.news.com.au/national/nei...in-mackay-attack/story-fndo4ckr-1226576570153

Update 4: Homicide investigation, Mackay

February 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Police have continued to make progress with their investigation into the homicide of 23-year-old Mackay woman Shandee Blackburn.

With the investigation entering its fifth day, police including local detectives, intelligence officers, scientific officers and detectives from the homicide squad, are continuing to conduct exhaustive enquiries into the movements of Ms Blackburn on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Regional Crime Coordinator, Detective Acting Inspector Paul Elliot said preliminary post mortem results indicated Ms Blackburn was stabbed several times with an as-yet unknown weapon.
“While we continue to make good progress with our investigation, we still need to speak to anybody who was in the general vicinity of where Ms Blackburn was found on Saturday morning.”

Detective Acting Inspector Elliot said police had continued to receive valuable information from members of the public overnight.
“I’m pleased to report the man seen on CCTV footage walking through the McDonald’s car park has made contact with police,” he said.
“We are very grateful for his assistance, and indeed for the assistance of everybody who has called police with information since Operation Lima Zimzala commenced.”
An Investigation Centre remains in operation at the Mackay Police Station while investigations continue.

Information provided to Crime Stoppers can be done via the phone or internet, and is anonymous.

Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013/02/13/update-4-homicide-investigation-mackay/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back