CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does it look like when she pushes the top button (first button she pushes) it lights up and then right away is unlit? I notice it when she first goes in the elevator, and then again when she re-enters and pushes all of the buttons again. I have only viewed the video on my phone, but that is what it looks like to me. If so, I would think that the reason the button would light up then go out right away is because that is the floor she is on. So strange.

Thats possible
I have viewed it twice but I do need to look at it again..and again

I noticed that after she left the elevator, as it arrived at each floor, the door opened and closed and the light went out

Okay, i broke the bank and watched the videos on youtube. The first one was a 2:39 min one that cut off early, so i watched the 4:00 min one that shows the door closing and opening, closing and opening at the end. Use full screen mode :

Elisa Lam Video - YouTube

Personally, I don't see anything THAT unusual with Elisa's behaviour or mannerisms. Maybe she had to go to the bathroom and was squiggling around a bit, maybe when the elevator wasn't going anywhere, she took the opportunity to step into the hall and do a bit of chi gong or something to relieve tension ... dunno.

When I pause the video and click through frame by frame however, I do see something weird AFTER we see her leaving the elevator for the last time and the door is actually closing/closed. There is some type of unusual shadow that appears to be moving inside the elevator (starting around the 2:58 mark and afterward), when there should be zero movement recorded by the camera. Then when the door opens again, the pattern on the hall flooring seems to be semi-obscured as if something has passed across it. Maybe it's a fluke of some type, but it has me curious. Could be what led that poster on the FB site to believe the video has been edited to remove something.

Having said that, Elisa's behaviour and direction of her head, etc ... nothing seems to coincide with anyone else being in the elevator with her. So yes, I'm wondering IF the video has been spliced and did in fact record someone on the elevator after we see Elisa for the last time. Could also be why the date/time stamp is blurred so the public can't see the time differential. Mind you, if LE didn't want us to see it, why even include that portion of the video?

Noticed that shadow? as well, assumed it was an afterimage from old tape, but if I had to guess what that 'ink-spot" looks like to me, I would guess someone crouched at the elevator panel.
Could it be possible that when EL stepped out of the elevator and got busy with hand gestures in the air, that someone unseen, could have slithered onto the elevator?
Indeed, if it has been openly acknowledged that EL may have/need medication ect., why show it all, instead of a just a pic. or two of Elisa and why include the movements of the elevator? Could it be in case a video of EL shows up on the internet similar to the hugely popular and scary ghost elevator prank?
Whatever the reason, hoping releasing the video will help find Elisa.

She seems very animated, she may always be that way, don't know

She doesn't appear to be frightened but I get the impression she does not want to be seen by someone

Noticed that shadow? as well, assumed it was an afterimage from old tape, but if I had to guess what that 'ink-spot" looks like to me, I would guess someone crouched at the elevator panel.
Could it be possible that when EL stepped out of the elevator and got busy with hand gestures in the air, that someone unseen, could have slithered onto the elevator?
Indeed, if it has been openly acknowledged that EL may have/need medication ect., why show it all, instead of a just a pic. or two of Elisa and why include the movements of the elevator? Could it be in case a video of EL shows up on the internet similar to the hugely popular and scary ghost elevator prank?
Whatever the reason, hoping releasing the video will help find Elisa.

BBM - I questioned this, too. And I just had a thought. Could be a stretch, but is it possible that the LAPD edited a person/people out and released the extra minutes where it appears the elevator is empty (but, actually is not) because they do have a person of interest on that video clip? Maybe they cannot locate the person, but hope he/she will see the footage and realize their days are numbered, so to speak? LAPD might hope the perp would turn him/herself in. This all just speculation and MOO, of course. Just find it so weird that the extra footage was included.

I know this is probably a long shot, but it hasn't been mentioned yet so I'm going to throw it out here...

Is it possible Elisa was aware there was a camera in the elevator and if she WAS in some kind of danger, the hand signals at the end of the video were her way of trying to communicate what was happening to her without making it obvious? Could there be a clue/clues in those hand gestures?

I know this is probably a long shot, but it hasn't been mentioned yet so I'm going to throw it out here...

Is it possible Elisa was aware there was a camera in the elevator and if she WAS in some kind of danger, the hand signals at the end of the video were her way of trying to communicate what was happening to her without making it obvious? Could there be a clue/clues in those hand gestures?

There is a point in the gesturing, after her arms open wide, where for just a second I wondered if she wasn't using sign language. Does anyone know sign language here? It might be worth a look from that point of view.

bbm

EXACTLY!
That can't be right. They said she paid for 4 nights, that would be 28, 29, 30 and 31st. Maybe that's when she arrived in San Diego, the 26th? Sure hope she shows up somewhere soon. It's been nearly three weeks already!!

I did notice the hand signals after the arm waving
I really don't know what to make of it

Looking at her behavior inside the elevator, to me she does not look scared
She keeps peeking out as if looking for someone
Her movements in and out of the elevator are almost childlike

BBM - I questioned this, too. And I just had a thought. Could be a stretch, but is it possible that the LAPD edited a person/people out and released the extra minutes where it appears the elevator is empty (but, actually is not) because they do have a person of interest on that video clip? Maybe they cannot locate the person, but hope he/she will see the footage and realize their days are numbered, so to speak? LAPD might hope the perp would turn him/herself in. This all just speculation and MOO, of course. Just find it so weird that the extra footage was included.

BBM

When I first watched the footage I thought she was hallucinating or tripping (drug induced or not) when she was talking/singing/whatever in the hallway, but after re-re-watching it occurs to me that someone could have come along in the hallway at that point - when she turns and puts her hand on her chest and smiles, it almost looks like she was surprised, but not scared. After all the gesturing and counting (?) she walks slowly to the left out of sight - is it possible someone else was going to the elevator, waited for the "crazy lady" to get out of the way, then got on? So not necessarily anyone who had done anything wrong, but one of the last people to interact with Elisa. They might not pay attention to a missing person report, but "crazy lady by the elevator" would surely jog their memory.

I'm just trying to keep in mind that there could be multiple circumstances, a sort of perfect storm. Ingests a substance or is having some sort of break --> goes to elevator --> encounters someone in the hallway --> leaves and meets foul play or becomes lost. Meaning those things all occurred independently and sequentially. Her demeanor seems to deteriorate over the duration, which makes me wonder if her abilities when she arrived at the elevator was different by the time she left... and ended up missing. FWIW I've been given a laced joint, and I've been roofied, and it's crazy how things go downhill in terms of ability to function once a substance takes effect. I don't know how it works with a mental "break", if you can spiral.

JMO and just-my-thinking-out-loud. :)

Hand gestures to stand out or scare away?

Remembering a youthful misadventure (well one of them, lol) when I found myself late at night, alone in a scary and unfamiliar part of town. A frightening group of hostile men was approaching me and with not another soul in sight or anywhere to turn away, I decided to make a preemptive strike and drag my leg,let my eyes roll, tongue hang out the side of my mouth and for good measure, drooled.
They shuddered and left me alone.

Hand gestures to stand out or scare away?

Remembering a youthful misadventure (well one of them, lol) when I found myself late at night, alone in a scary and unfamiliar part of town. A frightening group of hostile men was approaching me and with not another soul in sight or anywhere to turn away, I decided to make a premptive move and drag my leg,let my eyes roll, tongue hang out the side of my mouth and for good measure, drooled.They shuddered and left me alone.

LMAO

Can't say I blame them!!!!

There is a point in the gesturing, after her arms open wide, where for just a second I wondered if she wasn't using sign language. Does anyone know sign language here? It might be worth a look from that point of view.

I looked up some sign language related to crime. The only one I came across that looked even remotely like Elisa's hand signals was the sign for "Danger". I suppose it COULD be considered similar to the "counting" gesture she does. Here is the sign:

http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/DANGER/1189/2

Apparently Chinese Sign Language and American Sign Language are quite different. I couldn't find a sign for Danger in Chinese.

Also, if she is indeed taking medication, and is as sheltered as her friend portrayed her, it's possible she had an interaction, either with alcohol or something else. Possibly she wouldn't know how she is affected because she usually abstains?

I get that she is sheltered and a "good girl", but she's also young and on a solo adventure. Someone without many street smarts deciding to "live a little" on vacation... oh dear. :(

Again, my speculation only.

Japanese Hand Signals:

"Waving the hand, thumb towards the face, back and forth as if fanning in short strokes, means no, not me, or no thank you, depending on the situation. Used a great deal by students who do not know the appropriate English expression, or to avoid being embarrassed about their inability to speak English. The more emphatic the wave the more emphatic the ‘No’."

From: http://lov-e.com/RLSArticlesfolder/JBL4.html (there's a drawing there too)

Someone on the Find Elisa Lam FB page also noticed the time lapse I mentioned earlier. I wonder why almost 1 minute was edited out of the video.

The sign language theory is interesting and would have been very clever of her. But, I just can't shake the feeling that she didn't feel in danger at that time. She seemed too calm to me and not as if she was trying to escape. If she did push the door hold button as was mentioned by others in the thread, why would she have done such a thing if she was trying to get away from someone?

Someone on the Find Elisa Lam FB page also noticed the time lapse I mentioned earlier. I wonder why almost 1 minute was edited out of the video.

The sign language theory is interesting and would have been very clever of her. But, I just can't shake the feeling that she didn't feel in danger at that time. She seemed too calm to me and not as if she was trying to escape. If she did push the door hold button as was mentioned by others in the thread, why would she have done such a thing if she was trying to get away from someone?

Looking at the panel from the yelp site, the "door hold" button is the middle button in the very bottom row. I don't see that lit up anywhere in the video.

I think we should try to plug in some different audio scenarios, (like they do in those funny pet videos of them talking)... particularly during the gesturing...she seems to be isolating different points ...

(hypothetically for example: "I already told you...", "I don't have any money...." or "I already told you, I'm not going to tell anyone", etc..)

I'm running late for work so will have to come back tonight and plug in these thoughts later...I have a few ideas.

The missing audio is key. Time to tune into that sense, try to plug some stuff in...

According to the LAPD, Lam arrived in L.A. on Jan. 26. The last sighting of her was on Jan. 31 by staff at the Cecil Hotel, around the same time the elevator footage was taken.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/LA...r+with+video/7971056/story.html#ixzz2LMBCXTvl

If they don't know what time the elevator footage was taken, how can they know the last sighting by hotel staff was around that time?

If she was seen by staff, a general time must be known

I've wondered the same thing, it doesn't make sense. How could they know that it was around the same time and not know what time the footage was recorded? I'm confused!
That's what those security cameras are for, to record something unusual and give them an idea of when it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288