The TEN letters; Discuss them here

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
I brought this over from the previous thread because it seems a lot of people have questions about the letters.

Can someone give me a brief explanation of what the deal is with the forged letters? I don't recall hearing about them. Or point me where I can see what this is about? TIA!

I believe this is what happened with them. If I have anything wrong somebody who knows more please correct me.

It appears that Jodi had a friend (most here seem to believe it was MM) create some letters to Jodi from TA that proved he was a pedophile. These letters surfaced after Jodi took over her own defense, but had lawyers behind her helping her. They started having a hearing on the admissibility of these letters. I believe the prosecution contended they were not from TA. Halfway through the hearing the defense withdrew the letters and said they wouldn't try to admit them.

Someone said here (I think I know who, but I want to be 100% sure.) that they thought it was strange that the defense tried to admit them and then withdrew them halfway through the evidentiary hearing. This person believes that the defense lawyers working with her discovered that the letters had actually been forged and due to law had to withdraw them. Soon after this Jodi said she was in over her head and decided to let her council take over the case.

Her mother walked into the offices of the National Enquirer after they were deemed inadmissible. She begged them to put them in the paper because they were her daughter's last chance. The NE refused to run them.

That's how I remember it. Again, if anyone can support or correct me, I'd appreciate it.

...She asked to represent herself but when she submitted letters to the court that she claimed Alexander had written - saying he was a pedophile - they were found to be forgeries, and she told a judge she was in 'over her head'.

Her defense team was reinstated but in December 2011, her attorney, Victoria Washington, was granted a motion to withdraw from the case.

Jennifer Willmott, a death penalty-qualified defense attorney, had now been assigned to represent Arias. In January 2012, a judge denied a motion asking for the death penalty to be rejected.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ath-27-times-ex-girlfriend.html#ixzz2M1IK86Lc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Actually, I think NE bought the letters from mom because they stated they were not going to print them at this time but then printed a very small exert with the article. jmo

Yes, I am thinking the State wants to use those letters against JA.

http://callsforjustice.wordpress.com/tag/jodi-arias/

...August 4, 2011 Jodi tried to get someone to lie…Matt McCartney! Jodi tried to pass 2 magazines to supporter, Ann Campbell (read, she’d pass them on to Matt McCartney).

The magazines contained a message to Matt written in the margins of the magazine.

The whole reason this came up even though the forged letters were tossed is because on direct, Nurmi opened the door wide and all Martinez had to do was walk through it....

http://www.examiner.com/article/tra...o-jodi-arias-may-be-published-tabloid?cid=rss

Travis Alexander's alleged letters to Jodi Arias may be published in tabloid
Crime
January 18, 2013
By: Taylor Rios

On the Jan. 17 episode of "Nancy Grace," Mike Walker, the senior editor of the National Enquirer, spoke about how Travis Alexander's alleged letters to Jodi Arias may be published. The murderer's mother, Sandy Arias, contacted the tabloid with the "evidence."

The National Enquirer is a tabloid and has a reputation for printing anything without confirming its authenticity. The subject matter of the letters does not paint the victim in a positive light and seem to be fabricated, especially since they were not original letters, but copies. Sandy Arias claimed the originals were destroyed....

So they had to have destroyed the copies AFTER copying them. Why would they do that? Perhaps because TA's fingerprints wouldn't be anywhere on the originals. Jodi can't say she destroyed them to protect Travis because they were copied before they were destroyed. I think this is why the prosecution is keen to get them in. JMO

Okay.. I will discuss the letters: they are a bunch of carp and it is very obvious that Arias' magazine messages were not the only tampering activities she was involved with

:twocents:
:cowcouch:

hahahaha! I guess I let it all hang out!

:jail::razz::jail:

Okay.. I will discuss the letters: they are a bunch of carp and it is very obvious that Arias' magazine messages were not the only tampering activities she was involved with

bbm:
maybe the state has enough to let them in to prove just that point?:twocents::waitasec::twocents:

bbm:
maybe the state has enough to let them in to prove just that point?:twocents::waitasec::twocents:

I hope so.....I keep checking here to see if peeps are coming to post about them....alas.....:waitasec:

as one poster suggested I SEE NOTHING that shows the state believed these letters to be true. In fact its pointed out in several ways why they don't believe them to be true. How ironic that these letters are photocopies, with no originals, Jodi wont stay who the third party was who sent her these letters to aide her defense and i could go on and on. anyone who thinks for a second that these letters are true needs to have their heads checked...IMO *Jodi mugshot smile*

Did I miss something? Are the letters coming in as evidence?

While I understand this line of thought.........there is also why has Juan fought this soooo hard to keep them out! If everything is a complete forgery and fabricated, let them in and sink this bio*ches ship once and for all

I think I recall seeing where handwriting analysts for the State AND the defense said they were forged. Jodi's attorneys told her she had to let it go. She fired them. Shortly thereafter she realized she was in over her head.

If they were sent to Jodi by Travis, then why wouldn't she have the original letters? Am I overlooking something? Why would an "un-named" person have to send them to her if they were hers?
I think they are forged to help along her case.

Nurse, I didn't see the letters. Are they there and I just didn't see??

There are no letters there, it is just the motions talking about the letters.

My impression is that someone (maybe MM) handwrote them, scanned them into the computer and emailed them to the defense. Jodi was asked to produce the original letters for verification, which she didn't, and also to name the person who scanned them and emailed them. She also did not do that.

I wonder where she claimed these letters were hidden since her grandmother's house was searched in order for them to find all the other evidence like her journals and receipts, correct?

There are no letters there, it is just the motions talking about the letters.

My impression is that someone (maybe MM) handwrote them, scanned them into the computer and emailed them to the defense. Jodi was asked to produce the original letters for verification, which she didn't, and also to name the person who scanned them and emailed them. She also did not do that.

I wonder where she claimed these letters were hidden since her grandmother's house was searched in order for them to find all the other evidence like her journals and receipts, correct?

The letters were analyzed and compared to known writings of Jodi and were then determined to have been written by her. So she forged them in an attempt to show TA as a pedophile. I can't believe that she is stupid enough to even try something like this so I can see why the defense team is so anxious to keep them out of court.:blushing:

The letters were analyzed and compared to known writings of Jodi and were then determined to have been written by her. So she forged them in an attempt to show TA as a pedophile. I can't believe that she is stupid enough to even try something like this so I can see why the defense team is so anxious to keep them out of court.:blushing:

Classic! Do you happen to have a link or remember where you heard this?

So if Jodi had written them herself, this would have been AFTER she was incarcerated, correct?

Follow my train of thought here with me...if she wrote them while in jail (why would she have any reason to do it before then), she would have had to pass them through some kind of channels (much like the magazine messages) to get them to someone who could then email them. Am I following this through right? I did read that it was thought her cellmate had a hand in it, so maybe the cellmate did the emailing or the smuggling out?

Just trying to get my facts straight. :)

I thought the other thing about the letters was that they weren't originals but photocopies and she said the originals had been destroyed. So since they weren't originals they couldn't be entered as evidence. Besides the fact that they were forgeries. Sorry I don't believe for a minute Travis was into kids and then wrote her letters about it. She makes me sick to my stomach.

So if Jodi had written them herself, this would have been AFTER she was incarcerated, correct?

Follow my train of thought here with me...if she wrote them while in jail (why would she have any reason to do it before then), she would have had to pass them through some kind of channels (much like the magazine messages) to get them to someone who could then email them. Am I following this through right? I did read that it was thought her cellmate had a hand in it, so maybe the cellmate did the emailing or the smuggling out?

Just trying to get my facts straight. :)

I'm hung up on when she wrote them, too. Pretty tricky in jail, and then passing them out (although under cross she did say she "only passed the magazines". Was she wondering if Martinez was going to hit her with the letters?)

Or, were they written before the murder in preparation for her 'smear' campaign? (which included the recorded sex tape). I think she initially planned to 'bring him down', but something happened whereby that revenge was not enough, and she began to premeditate the murder.

Nurse, I didn't see the letters. Are they there and I just didn't see??
Only the ruling and explanation for such is included but it's a great read!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back