What did you think of the State's cross examination of Arias?

How did the prosecution do on cross examination of Arias?

• Awesome: wouldn't change a thing (or maybe just a few things)

Votes: 226 64.9%
  • It was very good: but I was expecting a little more

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • It was good: I think he left a lot out

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • It was pretty good: I think it could have been a lot better

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • It was not good at all.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
Geragos was saying he should have just covered the murder and planning. Other TH's have been saying that too, that he should have not asked about the sex stuff. That's garbage. He had to address the defense argument of abuse. He did it well I believe.

I agree with you. And if Juan hdn't addressed the sex stuff, he would have been conceding that Travis was a deviant and giving the defense an excuse for her attack on him.

The prosecution needed to show that she was lying about that nonsense. I think that ALL of the male jurors will be disgusted by that behavior. Pretty much every male has in innate fear of being falsely accused of rape and/or child abuse. And Jodi not only murdered her ex lover, but she then went to trash his reputation with that BS.

I consider Juan a hero for getting down into the dirt with her to call her out. And in the final portion of his cross, he got her to admit with a smile on her face, that all of their sex was mutual, and enjoyable.

It is going to be next to impossible for those 'battered women' experts to make her out to be a victim, imo. We all know of horribly abused women who finally snap. But they usually have witnesses and pictures of bruises and police reports and they are usually dependent upon their abusers, having children by them and living with them.

Jodi had no reason to feel trapped by him nor any reason to even be there that night. She has no evidence of any prior attacks or injuries, and the broken finger story is just a joke now.

I agree with you. And if Juan hdn't addressed the sex stuff, he would have been conceding that Travis was a deviant and giving the defense an excuse for her attack on him.

The prosecution needed to show that she was lying about that nonsense. I think that ALL of the male jurors will be disgusted by that behavior. Pretty much every male has in innate fear of being falsely accused of rape and/or child abuse. And Jodi not only murdered her ex lover, but she then went to trash his reputation with that BS.

I consider Juan a hero for getting down into the dirt with her to call her out. And in the final portion of his cross, he got her to admit with a smile on her face, that all of their sex was mutual, and enjoyable.

It is going to be next to impossible for those 'battered women' experts to make her out to be a victim, imo. We all know of horribly abused women who finally snap. But they usually have witnesses and pictures of bruises and police reports and they are usually dependent upon their abusers, having children by them and living with them.

Jodi had no reason to feel trapped by him nor any reason to even be there that night. She has no evidence of any prior attacks or injuries, and the broken finger story is just a joke now.

BBM: That line says it all, JA was not satisfied with assasinating the the body of Travis Alexander, she had a desire to totally assassinate his character as well. :furious:

:great:He was fantastic!! He brought it all home. If Ashton could have done this to you know who, she'd be in prison. This was go for broke everything out in the open! no hide the outline of Caylee, hide the texts, dont tell this and dont tell that! The Jury gives up their time and they deserve to know ALL..I am sooo glad he helped Travis. The DT.. was one low blow. :great: :seeya:

Juan Martinez was masterful...he painted a very clear picture of the real Jodi and what she is all about IMO.
I like that he just let her ramble on and walk right into things she obviously regretted... I also like that he let her correct him , got the answers from her and thanked her for it.
It is obvious to me that his whole heart and soul is in this and he is doing an amazing job of being Travis's voice JMO

I don't like the prosecutor in this case....
Martinez doesn't come across well.
On the other hand, Jodi is a liar.
Not sure what the jury is thinking as to premeditation.

If I have to hear any more sex talk, I will puke. Enough already.
Alexander was brutally murdered.
The point the prosecution must prove is how can we know it was pre-meditated?
The gas cans argument was fantastic....but got lost in the other mess.

Stay on point...
This should be the mantra of the prosecution.

Stay on point...

he's made so many holes in her lies, got her to confess many things....he's gotten pretty much to break down a sociopath. JODI is the one who broke down Travis' reputation painting him as an abuser, rapist, and pedophile. She alone is the w
one eho made their sex life more relevent than it should be. I am more than happy to listen to Juan poke holes in all her disgusting statements and make it clear that Jodi herself was making up lies and ugliness to try and save herself. He has made all his points clear....and more is to come.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

First things first..:welcome: to WS. :fireworks:

But I do take issue with the bolded statement above. BBM

It is his job to WIN EACH POINT. He chose points that he needs to win to get a conviction. That point about the license plate in the Starbucks lot is CRUCIAL. It is literally a matter of life and death. If she is lying about that little skater story, it goes to her premeditation, which makes it a DEATH PENALTY case.

So who cares if we have to listen to them spar for an hour about it. She was lying and it is his job to prove that. JMO

But katy...its obvious Jodi is a liar. Very obvious.
The crazy sparring for hours on end just bores me to tears and I'm not even in the courtroom.

Martinez doesn't have to prove she's a liar...that she has admitted to, freely.
He also doesn't have to prove she's unstable because its pretty evident.
He has to prove that she pre-meditated to kill Alexander...
that she took a gun and knife to his house with the intent to kill him.
If he would quit blustering and be cool and intellectual about it, he would come across as much more likable. And having been on the jury in other cases, I find likability is definitely important for the prosecutor.

I wish Martinez would be more concise. And be nicer. The relentless attack is not appealing and to me, its unnecessary.
But maybe thats just me....

he's made so many holes in her lies, got her to confess many things....he's gotten pretty much to break down a sociopath. JODI is the one who broke down Travis' reputation painting him as an abuser, rapist, and pedophile. She alone is the w
one eho made their sex life more relevent than it should be. I am more than happy to listen to Juan poke holes in all her disgusting statements and make it clear that Jodi herself was making up lies and ugliness to try and save herself. He has made all his points clear....and more is to come.

I don't think she broke. I think its a show. Lets face it, a true sociopath has no compassion...and is only focused on self-preservation.
I am interested in her psychological profile...

But katy...its obvious Jodi is a liar. Very obvious.
The crazy sparring for hours on end just bores me to tears and I'm not even in the courtroom.

Martinez doesn't have to prove she's a liar...that she has admitted to, freely.
He also doesn't have to prove she's unstable because its pretty evident.
He has to prove that she pre-meditated to kill Alexander...
that she took a gun and knife to his house with the intent to kill him.
If he would quit blustering and be cool and intellectual about it, he would come across as much more likable. And having been on the jury in other cases, I find likability is definitely important for the prosecutor.

I wish Martinez would be more concise. And be nicer. The relentless attack is not appealing and to me, its unnecessary.
But maybe thats just me....

Yes he does have to prove her a liar. What is obvious to some isn't obvious to others and he isn't going to take the risk of someone not getting the points..this is a DP case. Jury instructions also many times instruct jurors to look at facts
only and not on personas of the lawyers. If someone can allow persona if a lawyer to sway a decision then they don't need to be on a jury. Many juries are able to do just that.

And the prosecutor isn't there to make friends. A young man was brutally overkilled by a sociopath/psychopath who is far different than your average killer. He isn't going to be nice. This woman has killed Travis many times over....first physically and then repeatedly over the years in interviews and on the stand. Why should he be nicer and play softball when the defendent herself has played hardball with a person's life and reputation?

Yes he does have to prove her a liar. What is obvious to some isn't obvious to others and he isn't going to take the risk of someone not getting the points..this is a DP case. Jury instructions also many times instruct jurors to look at facts
only and not on personas of the lawyers. If someone can allow persona if a lawyer to sway a decision then they don't need to be on a jury. Many juries are able to do just that.

And the prosecutor isn't there to make friends. A young man was brutally overkilled by a sociopath/psychopath who is far different than your average killer. He isn't going to be nice. This woman has killed Travis many times over....first physically and then repeatedly over the years in interviews and on the stand. Why should he be nicer and play softball when the defendent herself has played hardball with a person's life and reputation?

I am not saying that jurors intend to make decisions based on personality but its very difficult for many people to ignore the feelings they get about someone when they see them day after day.

I agree a man was brutally murdered and JA has said she killed him. Yes, Martinez has to prove she is lying...I agree with that. It must be on record. But she has openly admitted to lying. And all those videos show her lying over and over. I think I am hoping to see how it can be proved that she pre-mediatated this killing.

I know my feelings and opinions are not popular...and I will catch heck for them. But I respect others thoughts and hope mine will also be respected as just my own personal observations.

The only thing I could add to JA's cross-examination was to ask, "Instead of turning right into the closet, why didn't you turn left and go down the stairs and run outside? After all, you had a naked man chasing you."

I believe he did ask her that.

Stay on point...

:seeya:

BBM: JMO, but I think he came across very well and was very passionate on behalf of Travis ...

Jodi is a SERIAL Liar ... and this is something Mr. M had to prove because this "story" of self-defense is Version 3.0 or 4.0 ...

I also agree about the "sex talk" -- it had absolutely nothing to do with the murder and it went overboard, IMO !

And I really felt bad for Travis' Family having to listen to all that garbage about sex ... it was bad enough they had to listen to the murder, but the sex talk just too much ...

Yes, the gas can argument was :great: especially when that receipt came up for the 3rd gas can ...

I think Mr. M will "wrap up" more on pre-meditation during the rebuttal ... there are many points about pre-meditation that Jodi LIED about when she was questioned by Mr. M, which no surprise ...

But I think Mr. M's "Rebuttal" will be even better than the direct !

I thought he was masterful. It's not Perry Mason, so I never expected a "bombshell implosion" of the sociopath. What he did is show her true nature, got her to leak inappropriate tells in her behavior, got her to be combative and show she is quite able to stand up to the "mean prosecutor", cornered her into testimony he can now argue in closing to show how her story is pure lies... genius!

Personally, I think Juan did an absolute AWESOME job.
He is probably the best prosecutor I have seen while watching trials.

I am not saying that jurors intend to make decisions based on personality but its very difficult for many people to ignore the feelings they get about someone when they see them day after day.

I agree a man was brutally murdered and JA has said she killed him. Yes, Martinez has to prove she is lying...I agree with that. It must be on record. But she has openly admitted to lying. And all those videos show her lying over and over. I think I am hoping to see how it can be proved that she pre-mediatated this killing.

I know my feelings and opinions are not popular...and I will catch heck for them. But I respect others thoughts and hope mine will also be respected as just my own personal observations.

BBM: I agree that this has to be CLEARLY PROVEN and the jury is going to want to CLEARLY SEE Pre-Meditation ...

:) I totally understand how you feel about your opinions not being "popular" -- I've been in that situation on other cases here so I understand completely how you feel ...

:) We are all entitled to "our opinion" and are allowed to post our opinion even if it is not consistent with the "majority opinion" ...

Brilliant. JM was just incredible. I was pleasantly surprised at how stern he was right from his first question. That sort of brought out the monster within her for the jury to see. I thought Jodi was smarter and could keep it hidden. But she was defiant and arrogant even while admitting that she killed Travis. The way she went from being arrogant to fake sad was pathetic. Anytime he mentioned the killing she would suddenly get all quiet and try to act solemn. What a joke she is. Her performance was nothing short of pathetic, bordering on insane.

I thought he did an amazing job and I think his closing will be masterful! Over the course of few days, I knew what Travis was up against. I understood how it would have taken the patience of a saint, to refrain from being physically abuse to JA and to attempt to remain friends. I certainly understood why he would need to bang his head against a wall and why he would take what she offered sexually. He had earned it just by tolerating her.
I did get frustrated at times but we can't expect JM to get to the point when he's working with a pathological liar with no motivation to cooperate. All the things we feel are so important that got glossed over in his cross examination will be highlighted in his closing arguments where they with remain fresh in the minds of jurors. Mark my words (LOL) She will be convicted and on the juries first vote is my guess.

Awesome, magnificent and simply brilliant !

One would have to be privy to all JMs' facts to state otherwise in his strategy thus far, hence, only the monday morning quarterback would differ in their assessment:D

The point the prosecution must prove is how can we know it was pre-meditated?The gas cans argument was fantastic....but got lost in the other mess.

Stay on point...

Agree here....BBM...pounded home again and again that she killed him, and is a manipulative, lying, [bad word]....

But if pushing for premeditated...not a lot of focus on that...it seemed....

Rental car, gas cans, parents' home robbery (source of gun)...etc, etc...doesn't seem all that well framed up at this point...

But maybe more to come in closing, or re-cross, if that happens...

Agree here....BBM...pounded home again and again that she killed him, and is a manipulative, lying, [bad word]....

But if pushing for premeditated...not a lot of focus on that...it seemed....

Rental car, gas cans, parents' home robbery (source of gun)...etc, etc...doesn't seem all that well framed up at this point...

But maybe more to come in closing, or re-cross, if that happens...

You're not watching the same trial I am, it seems. He covered all of that extensively on cross.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back