FL Brandon, Sinkhole Swallows House, Man Trapped

U13.JPEG

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/glue/Rewired/U13.JPEG

Brother’s cry: ‘My parents are going through hell’

In a tearful exchange with the media Monday morning, brother Jeremy Bush said he felt hopeless as he stood in front of the family's home, which will now be demolished. He said he realized the family will also lose many of their belongings.

"I want some kind of memories of him," he said. "I want his hats. I want his clothes. I want anything that was in his room. "

Right now, it's a meticulous process for crews. Jeremy said he's been told that if they touch the walls of the room, it will likely plummet into the sinkhole, making it hard to recover some of his brother's belongings

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...-parents-are-going-through-hell#ixzz2MaMuLdKX
Follow us: @myfoxtampabay on Twitter | MyFoxTampaBay on Facebook

Every time I see any news coverage on this story I am still horrified. I think I am going to keep this family in my prayers for a long, long time.

In time the media will forget, but this family will be struggling with losing someone in such a manner for a very long time.

Prayers, lots and lots of prayers. :praying: :rose:

I hope that the situation changes in that they can recover Jeff. I feel so bad for his family.

From video at: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...-parents-are-going-through-hell#ixzz2MaMuLdKX

Video is entitled: Noon Update.

Screenshot showing that most of the house has been removed. The area where the sinkhole is located still has some roof over it. It is in the center of the picture.

The second picture is from the same website and shows a closer image with the sun shining.

Attachments

• sinkhole house.png
    sinkhole house.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 36
  • another shot.jpg
    another shot.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 40
How Are Sinkholes Formed?

Common Signs of Sinkhole Activity...
Cracking Walls, Foundations, Pool Patios, or Driveways...
Cracks that manifest themselves on the exterior walls of a structure are definitive of some degree of settlement. Stair stepping cracks are commonly seen just off the corners of a structure and at opposite corners of windows, (i.e. upper left corner and the lower right corner). You may also see stair stepping cracks in the middle of a long wall. Other locations around your property are vulnerable to cracking due to sinkhole activity including: foundations, pool patios, and driveways.

Sticking Windows or Doors
If you are having trouble closing doors and windows on your property you could be experiencing sinkhole activity. As your foundation begins to sink from the underlying sinkhole activity, your door and window frames will buckle and become uneven.

Leaning Trees or Fenceposts...
In determining if your property is at risk of sinkhole damage, it is important to not ignore the signs that are evident around your property. Any geological change in your property or neighboring property could result in sinkhole damage to your home. These signs can be seen in the form of leaning trees, fenceposts, or other structures that are not necessarily considered a structure of occupation.

Causes Of Foundation Settlement
Normal Florida Settlement
Most structures settle to some extent during the first two years they are on a pad. Hairline cracks are common, this is generally understood to be normal Florida settlement. When cracks continue to widen and grow beyond hairline, it may mean that shallow soils were not properly compacted during the construction phase of the structure. This is not normal and should be investigated by a geological engineer familiar with the soil conditions in your general area.

Geological Settlement
When hairline cracks become evident after the first two years it is no longer considered normal Florida settlement. This type of settlement is generally caused by a geological problem in the deeper strata of soils. There are several reasons for geological settlement.

Shrink, Swell Clay
When clay has a considerable amount of plasticity and is located in the first 15 to 18 feet below the structure, drought times will cause the clay to shrink, rainy seasons will cause the clay to swell. During the drought period settlement can happen to such an extent that it compromises the integrity of the foundation of the structure. When this happens the capacity of the soil no longer supports the weight of the structure and cracking will appear due to broken foundations.

Subsurface Sinkhole Activity
Sub-surface sinkhole activity is another cause of structural settlement resulting in cracked walls and broken foundations. Acidic water moves through soil strata to limerock and eventually dissolves and erodes the rocky soil below creating voids deep within the earth. As time passes the soils above the voids drop which loosens the soils above it. The loosening of the soils will produce a chimney effect opening towards the surface when clay is present. This results in the loss of ability of the upper layers of earth to support the structure above it. When clay is not present the result is the same, but instead of a chimney there may only be an enlarging depression manifesting in the ground that may open dangerously wide and deep.

http://www.securefsi.com/sinkholesigns.asp

I didn't sleep last night. When I got in the shower, I was in a hurry to just wash, do my hair and get the hell out. I have been scared for months since 6 of my neighbors have had sink hole repairs done. The last one was across from my home. I told hubby he is too install bungie cords, attached to the ceiling and I want to wear a safty harness so I can sleep at night. LOL We are going to move from here, just not sure when we can do it, but I don't want to stay in the Sink Hole Zone anymore.

Wow Skully, how scary. Citizens stink that's for sure and they had no one to answer to at the time when many had to succumb to what they were selling thanks to the panic from hurricanes. Took advantage of that didn't they?

Can you look in to any other insurance companies? I know they aren't the only ones anymore.We have University Property and Casualty. They've been pretty decent and affordable.

I will be checking around again this spring for other insurers. But State Farm was charging us $4000 a yr with the Sink hole coverage, and then we went to Citizens but they jacked up the deductable this yr, and you have to pay out the deductable to get them to pay a claim. They also will no longer cover anything outside of my home, including the pool, the screened in porch, the shed the fence, anything outside. But I pay more for less. :banghead: They just have you by the Gonads.....

What do they do with a sinkhole too deep to fill?

Skully I hope you can get out of your neighborhood. I'd be having nightmares too.

This is absolutely terrifying.

"First look at the deadly sinkhole that swallowed a man as he slept as his brother claims authorities could have done more to save him"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...laims-authorities-save-him.html#ixzz2McmwiybJ

OMG my heart is racing for his family.

There is a video showing them filling the sinkhole with what looks like gravel at that link

I know that he is most likely dead, that there isn't probably even a slim chance logically that he could still be alive down there.

But, my mind keeps going to miners that have survived 7+ days and people found underbuildings after earthquakes 7+ days later.

I can't imagine having my loved one---my Husband or my child---lying in a hole in the ground and knowing that the hole was being filled.

What a tragedy for this family. :(

That poor man...and his family.I can't believe there was no way to retrieve him , even by suspending someone off the end of a crane.
After reading on here about sinkholes I won't sleep tonight, barely did last night . And I am in Fl, NE suburbs of Orlando. ugh Reality Orlando, I shouldn't have read your post:(

Horrific, that's the only word I can come up with. If it was my brother they might as well bury me with him because I don't know how I would ever get passed it.

I was also horrified to see this on the news. What a terrible tragedy. Mark off Florida as a place I will never live. LOL Isn't the hole pretty much filled with water underneath?

I was also horrified to see this on the news. What a terrible tragedy. Mark off Florida as a place I will never live. LOL Isn't the hole pretty much filled with water underneath?

From I understand from the news reports, there is a layer of sand on top that is about 20 feet deep, next sand mixed with clay, this layer is softer than the sand layer and about 65 feet down is the limestone and under that is the canal filled with water.

Yes, one of the news sites did say the hole is already filling up with water.

Sad for the family, but that guy is gone.

Hey but all of Florida is not like that particular area. My area has the lowest percentages on the sink hole map. But then we also have to worry about hurricanes!:what:

Top 10 sinkhole prone counties in Florida

In an alarming report from March 2011, all 10 of Florida's most sinkhole prone counties are either in Central Florida or the Tampa Bay area. Hillsborough, where Friday's sinkhole opened up, ranked third.

1.Pasco
2.Hernando
3.Hillsborough
4.Marion
5.Pinellas
6.Citrus
7.Polk
8.Orange
9.Seminole
10.Lake

Taken from:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...ticles/bn9/2013/3/1/brandon_house_collap.html

Some of those areas are near where CA lives (supposedly), too bad she could be sucked in one!

It is so terrible what happened to this man and his family he must have been so shocked at the horror of what has happened to him in the last minutes of his life. His family must be so upset and to not be able to give him a funeral and bury him properly is horrendous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back