The Elevator Video: What's your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned much earlier that one of the online elevator safety tips was to push numerous buttons so a potential perp will not know what floor you are going to. Seems like a reasonable explanation for Elisa pushing all the buttons in the middle row.

This article by a detective (who conducts seminars on travel safety and crime avoidance), under "Travel Safety Tips For Women Travellers", has advice that seem to fit somewhat with another of Elisa's actions on the elevator:

Stand near the elevator buttons with your back to the wall; if threatened, push all the buttons at once with your back

full article at:
http://www.kevincoffey.com/women_safety/travel_safety_tips_for_women.htm

IMO, this might also explain why she hunkered into the corner by the buttons.

I didn't think that. The sweater looked too big. (P.S. Also pretty sure that incident actually happened in China from the haircut and clothing of the guy who you see most in the video and by his mannerisms.)

I thought maybe it was somebody being kidnapped and ordered to remove their sweater. Darn! Why don't I know Chinese! I speak Japanese. There are many similarities in body language between the two countries. The way the guy was quickly jerking his chin down at a couple of different times is a way of acknowledging yes, usually as in you are in compliance with what somebody is requesting of you or ordering you to do. It is a strong sign of submission.

His smile in the beginning was not a real smile. It was the smile that Japanese (in this case Chinese but same smile) use when they are extremely uncomfortable or basically the opposite of happy but they don't feel that they are in a powerful position so they don't want to show their dislike or unhappiness. It looks different than their real smiles. If you get this smile like in the video, it means they don't like you or they don't trust you. This is why white people get this type of smile a lot from native Japanese and Chinese people when you meet them. You are an outsider and they don't trust you because they feel that you won't understand them or won't conform to normal societal expectations (normal for them). Like they feel you will behave as an ill bred animal. If you get to know them and earn their trust, they will give you real smiles, which is very nice.

And then at the end of the video, he looked very shocked when that person hugged (assaulted?) him. He looked up like he'd been stabbed. Don't mean he was, just mean he was at least shocked, very, very shocked. I think terrified.

All I could think was that the Chinese news were making some correlation between whatever happened in this elevator and whatever happened to Elisa. It is really frustrating not knowing Chinese.

had a quick look at the video...
to summarize just at the 35 min mark:
there's 1 incident in taiwan where the lady entered the elevator and just disappeared. she entered the elevator with her 4 yr old daughter with the intention to visit some friends on the 11th floor. as soon as she got in the elevator, she took her sweater and shoes off. they have images of her going into the building but not leaving the building and she was disappeared since. no trace of her since. maybe @anansie can do a better translation...

Maybe so. Maybe subconsciously to be closer to the controls, too.

But I thought more it hid her the most from outside the elevator.

I also thought maybe because she was trying to hide from that mirror opposite the elevator in the hallway. Where she was first standing in the other corner, I think it is possible she could see the mirror so there were areas of the hall she could see while in the elevator maybe. So she probably knew that she would be visible in the mirror to others in the hall at certain places.

I think the theory about her pushing all the buttons in the middle to find her floor is a bit unlikely. If she was going to count them as the lights went off, why not just count from the top down and press the right one to begin with? That would take just as long as pushing all of them multiple times and would have the benefit of being accurate. I still think she was intentionally stalling or playing with the elevator.

It's been argued that she couldn't see the buttons which is why she pushes all of them, and that if she couldn't see the elevator buttons, then she would have stooped down to view them clearly.

But if she stooped down until she could see them, why push them as if she can't see them?

It's possible that the numbers were still blurry in her vision and the reason she pushed all the buttons is because she knew the color of the hallway for her floor, but couldn't recall her floor number. She wrote that she suffers from Hypomania which affects memory and energy. It can be induced by the bipolar drugs she was taking mixed with amphetamines. She was prescribed amphetamines.
I have been hypomanic since Tuesday.

I HAVE TO GET SOME SLEEP OR I WILL CRASH

and I am so scared of how big of a crash this one will be.

How do I know this is might become THE BIG ONE? My memory is super compromised on present things right now.

It’s just….I understand everything completely. Fellow bipolars, you may be the only ones who will understand what this is like.

With absolute clarity, I understand the universe. My mind isn’t just blown, it’s the hindenburg + hiroshima + nagasaki + san francisco earthquake + a rock concert where the music is so loud your eardrums are bleeding

Like the equivalent of when humans discovered fire but not as big as the Big Bang

And that’s why someone said (see memory fail right here) :

**** QUICK GET ME PEN AND PAPER I MUST WRITE THIS DOWN BEFORE I FORGET THIS IDEA WILL NEVER RE-EMERGE BECAUSE MY MEMORY IS FAILING*

And she goes on...

At this point, like many of you, I have watched this video a dozen or more times. The first time being fresh, or at least as fresh as "Body found in water tank at the Cecil Hotel" can leave you feeling (especially since I live just a few blocks away from the Cecil); the subsequent times came after reading more and more about EL's case from Googling, and from finding this helpful forum and reading through her Tumblr posts, etc.

We know nothing officially about her state of mind (whether she had any drugs in her system, whether there's any footage from a different camera of someone threatening her, etc.), so I have read all of your theories with great interest. I have my own take:

Let's say, in her requests for LA meetups or maybe just in the course of being an LA tourist, EL met someone who she was interested in. Somehow, either through exploring the hotel or because of where the person lived, EL and her love interest ended up on the floor where she's seen in this video (which is believed to be the 14th floor? But may be the 15th?). EL goes to the elevator to return to her room or to the lobby. She's all butterflies and nervous from her interaction with this stranger, possibly dangerous, possibly attractive, strange exciting city. She presses more than one floor to play a game of her own, but presses the elevator's DOOR HOLD button, waiting for him.

He doesn't come. Where is he? Should I be doing this? This is crazy! No it's not. Here are the reasons why you're not crazy. (When she's counting on her fingers. Or maybe she's counting the times she just did or said something she thinks is stupid.)

As someone who has been boy-obsessed in my past, I can definitely see EL's "symptoms" of arm waving and finger-counting and maybe slightly obsessive button-pressing as something I definitely would have done, and probably have done (though not in this exact order/manifestation). I'm sure if any security videos had been reviewed after I'd had an encounter with a guy who left me wondering exactly what was going on, people would speculate about me being bipolar/drugged too.

I think she presses DOOR HOLD on purpose. She's waiting for him, and freaking out. And then she pokes her head out of the door. She wants him to follow her, but she doesn't. Finally, after agonizing about whether to go downstairs or not, whether or not he will follow her, she either goes to his room or to where she last left him, OR he calls to her or waves to her from the hallway and she goes that direction instead of heading down in the elevator.

It's also possible she left her glasses behind because (as many women believe) she thought she was more attractive without them.

(My first post, and though it's based specifically on the elevator video, please feel free to move to the "theories" thread if it doesn't quite fit here!)

Someone mentioned much earlier that one of the online elevator safety tips was to push numerous buttons so a potential perp will not know what floor you are going to. Seems like a reasonable explanation for Elisa pushing all the buttons in the middle row.

This article by a detective (who conducts seminars on travel safety and crime avoidance), under "Travel Safety Tips For Women Travellers", has advice that seem to fit somewhat with another of Elisa's actions on the elevator:

full article at:
http://www.kevincoffey.com/women_safety/travel_safety_tips_for_women.htm

I know what you're saying but to me and maybe it's just me she never looked like a scared person. She was too calm, nothing rushed at the start... She slowly degrades during the video into some kind of state but even then doesn't strike me as somebody afraid of an outside influence

She may be high, but I don't believe she is drunk. She has none of the mannerism of a drunk person. She walks surely and definitively, jumps around without swaying, steps backwards and forwards quickly and with balance. She may seem drunk because of the strange gestures in the middle, but that's just for a moment, and that's not the way being drunk generally works. She doesn't really seem high to me either, but I'll admit that she might be.

I know what you're saying but to me and maybe it's just me she never looked like a scared person. She was too calm, nothing rushed at the start... She slowly degrades during the video into some kind of state but even then doesn't strike me as somebody afraid of an outside influence

I know what you mean. I've watched the video several times, and I can see it either way. I tend to see her more as nervous (she doesn't strike me as terrified). I definitely don't see her as playful, even if one or two moves can be seen that way. Playful does not seem to be her overall demeanor. Still, she could be afraid of an outside influence. Not everyone shows fear in the same way. I don't think she is anticipating anyone killing her, though.

I know what you mean. I've watched the video several times, and I can see it either way. I tend to see her more as nervous (she doesn't strike me as terrified). I definitely don't see her as playful, even if one or two moves can be seen that way. Playful does not seem to be her overall demeanor. Still, she could be afraid of an outside influence. Not everyone shows fear in the same way. I don't think she is anticipating anyone killing her, though.

I see her as nervous also .. a controlled fear.

Someone mentioned in another thread that she was talking to invisible people. I think it's important to note that she was not doing so inside the elevator, so don't know why we would conclude that when she IS talking outside the elevator, the people don't exist.

I think she presses DOOR HOLD on purpose. She's waiting for him, and freaking out. And then she pokes her head out of the door. She wants him to follow her, but she doesn't. Finally, after agonizing about whether to go downstairs or not, whether or not he will follow her, she either goes to his room or to where she last left him, OR he calls to her or waves to her from the hallway and she goes that direction instead of heading down in the elevator.

I am leaning to this general explanation of her behavior as well - intentional behavior, maybe given some extra "flair" by some kind of substance (whether that be drugs or booze, I'm not really sure, and I guess we'll find out when the tox reports finally come out). From there, I'm not really sure, but leaning between accidental death with the tank as cover-up OR some kind of attack (likely sexual, I'd guess) that went beyond that, again with tank as cover-up. I think it unlikely that it was premeditated, but of course I could be wrong.

OR some kind of attack (likely sexual, I'd guess) that went beyond that, again with tank as cover-up. I think it unlikely that it was premeditated, but of course I could be wrong.

Why do you think it unlikely that she was the victim of a premeditated attack?

Hey everyone, I was reading through some youtube comments just now & someone pointed something out. A Chinese youtube account uploaded a clearer version of the video yesterday, & at 2:14 - 2:15 what is those black lines in between her hands? They look like fingers. I took a screenshot.

http://i46.tinypic.com/nfc6g.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl4nfpymu0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl4nfpymu0[/ame]

That part of the video has always puzzled me. I think that either someone/something grabs her left hand or she reaches back and grabs someone/something. Can't see it clearly, so that is just my impression. I don't see her as counting her fingers there, I see her as pushing down on something which causes her knees to bend.

That part of the video has always puzzled me. I think that either someone/something grabs her left hand or she reaches back and grabs someone/something. Can't see it clearly, so that is just my impression. I don't see her as counting her fingers there, I see her as pushing down on something which causes her knees to bend.

The knee bend is partly why I interpret her actions to be fear ... slight buckling of the knees, vascillating between outright fear and controlled fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021