North Korea carries out biggest nuclear test

~n/t~

Reaction score
North Korea has carried out its third, most powerful nuclear test despite UN warnings, and said "even stronger" action might follow.

It described the test as a "self-defensive measure" necessitated by the "continued hostility" of the US.

Its main ally, China, criticised the test, which was condemned worldwide.

Nuclear test monitors in Vienna say the underground explosion had double the force of the 2009 test, despite apparently involving a smaller device.

If, as North Korea reports, a smaller device was tested successfully, analysts say this could take Pyongyang closer to building a warhead small enough to arm a missile.

The UN Security Council will meet at 14:00 GMT to discuss the test and its ramifications, diplomats say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21421841

Early indications are it was a bigger yield than the '06 fizzle, and the '09 test (both Pu implosion weapons)- maybe in the 15kt range based on reported seismic info. PRNK has been boasting about its enrichment centrifuges (showed them off to a foreign physicist in '10)- and gun type HEU are smaller and lighter (nowhere near small enough for a missile warhead of appreciable size- they'd need a boosted weapon for that). Be interesting to see what the Japanese and US air sampling shows.

...as we continue to downsize our military.

This dude is so dangerous.

He's more insane than dear old dad, that's for sure.

It looks like a UN force needs to move in and clean up the place. We can't let them drop a nuke before we do something. JMO

It looks like a UN force needs to move in and clean up the place. We can't let them drop a nuke before we do something. JMO

Me thinks Hitler was a boy scout compared to Jr. This kook is far more dangerous.

This whole thing is very, very scary. Just very scary.

Best-
Herding Cats

They are now threatening to blow us up (although our forces state they lack the capabilities to fire a long range nuke).

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/world/asia/north-korea-sanctions/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Wonder how old Dennis Rodman, Kim Jong Un's best buddy feels about that? I;m surprised no one here talked about Rodman's ridiculous spectacle going over there and cozying up to that evil dictator.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/opinion/kim-dumond-korea/index.html

BBM

They will have the capability probably within the next few years. I actually agree with the Bush doctrine on this one. Although it could be argued that their attack on a South Korean island years ago should be enough. Also, we are technically still at war with them anyway. So going in wouldn't require much effort. JMO

Dennis Rodman is a real nutjob. After finding out about Argo though it might be a CIA ploy. :giggle:

Wonder if the potus takes this warning seriously?

BBM

They will have the capability probably within the next few years. I actually agree with the Bush doctrine on this one. Although it could be argued that their attack on a South Korean island years ago should be enough. Also, we are technically still at war with them anyway. So going in wouldn't require much effort. JMO

Dennis Rodman is a real nutjob. After finding out about Argo though it might be a CIA ploy. :giggle:

I agree withe Bush doctrine here too. These people are insane.

Wonder if the potus takes this warning seriously?

Well, our involvement in the UN sanctions shows we do but right now, North Korea does not have the capabilities of firing such a missile. So it is unlikely that the president is that worried. But, like Steely said, they will have that capability in a few years and they are completely nuts. IMO, they WILL use nukes against another country if they have them. We should be very worried about what they will eventually be able to do.

It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode with the evil little boy who could do things with his mind so they call had to placate Billy. These dictators act like that - little, tantruming children with power they do not comprehend.

I would bet money that all this nonsence with Dennis Rodman going over there and being able to get right in to his high securitty places was not just some wild adventure by rodman i bet he was weather it was actually himself or a guard maybe but he was doing work for obama himself i guarantee it...

...Well, our involvement in the UN sanctions shows we do but right now, North Korea does not have the capabilities of firing such a missile. So it is unlikely that the president is that worried. But, like Steely said, they will have that capability in a few years and they are completely nuts. IMO, they WILL use nukes against another country if they have them. We should be very worried about what they will eventually be able to do.

It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode with the evil little boy who could do things with his mind so they call had to placate Billy. These dictators act like that - little, tantruming children with power they do not comprehend.

You may be right, but we used to say the same thing about the Russians during the Cold War. As it turned out, they were never so crazy as to annihilate themselves by starting a nuclear war.

BBM

Actions speak louder than words: regardless of what Bush may have said, he chose to ignore North Korea and Iran, and invade Iraq instead, despite considerable evidence that Hussein had no nuclear capability whatsoever.

Let's don't rewrite history to give him credit. His policy of refusing to speak with North Korea was obviously not a successful deterrent.

This guy is goofy and gets off on attention but I doubt that he's suicidal. If he would hit us with one or two nukes then his quiver is empty and he's defenseless. We would then have thousands of nuclear weapons to totally depopulate his country if we wanted to.

He's not a total madman or he'd have conducted the tests in the atmosphere.

Actions speak louder than words: regardless of what Bush may have said, he chose to ignore North Korea and Iran, and invade Iraq instead, despite considerable evidence that Hussein had no nuclear capability whatsoever.

Let's don't rewrite history to give him credit. His policy of refusing to speak with North Korea was obviously not a successful deterrent.

The Bush Doctrine is that we can go into a country we find threatening before they attack us. That's all I'm saying. It has nothing to do with Iraq.

This guy is goofy and gets off on attention but I doubt that he's suicidal. If he would hit us with one or two nukes then his quiver is empty and he's defenseless. We would then have thousands of nuclear weapons to totally depopulate his country if we wanted to.

He's not a total madman or he'd have conducted the tests in the atmosphere.

I disagree. I don't think he looks at it as suicidal. He attacked a South Korean island a few years ago and SK didn't retaliate. I think his bravado isn't a front. This guy is completely bonkers. NK is 1984.

A soldier who, for some stupid reason crossed the border into NK and surrendered about 30 or more years ago got out and talked to sixty minutes about it. They arranged his marriage and told him and wife when to have sex through a speaker in their house and he had no doubt the house was bugged too.

These guys aren't anywhere close to sane. His father wasn't stupid enough to commit suicide. I don't this guy wouldn't try it. JMO

And so now what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/w...nullified-1953-korean-war-armistice.html?_r=0

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea declared the 1953 Korean War armistice nullified on Monday, following through on a longstanding threat that it renewed last week amid rising tensions with South Korea.

To me, this means that NK can attack SK...and maybe even the US. I mean, they could attack anyway, but this is telegraphing their intentions very clearly, I think. Maybe not the US, but definitely SK.

BTW, there's a new president in SK now - 2 weeks in. And she's female. I wonder if that isn't a trigger for Crazyboy...?

Best-
Herding Cats

Kim Jong-un is not running the show, he's basically a figurehead. It's the experienced military brass behind the scenes that have the power. I think it's a mistake to view this as the actions of a crazy dictator, I'm sure our military intelligence doesn't look at it that way. This is a calculated response to new sanctions and the US/South Korea joint military exercises. It's the only way North Korea can push back against sanctions. As sanctions ratchet up, so does the North's bluster.

It's a very delicate situation, in a big part because South Korea is so vulnerable to attack if war broke out and because China likes North Korea as it is (although China doesn't like NK's new belligerency). China sees NK as a strategic block against US power in the region. Any war with NK would risk drawing China in, which would not be good at all. China is also afraid of a refugee crisis if the NK population fled the country into China to escape war.

And so now what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/w...nullified-1953-korean-war-armistice.html?_r=0

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea declared the 1953 Korean War armistice nullified on Monday, following through on a longstanding threat that it renewed last week amid rising tensions with South Korea.

To me, this means that NK can attack SK...and maybe even the US. I mean, they could attack anyway, but this is telegraphing their intentions very clearly, I think. Maybe not the US, but definitely SK.

BTW, there's a new president in SK now - 2 weeks in. And she's female. I wonder if that isn't a trigger for Crazyboy...?

Best-
Herding Cats

Cool, they just declared war on us. Now we have a good reason to kick their asses. As far as China goes we have too much invested in their country for them to fight too hard against a war with N. Korea. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back